LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I would agree if Slaf actually put up points in Liga. But he didn't.

Wright is a legit top-line center in the making with a floor of a 2C with elite defensive ability. Slaf has a high ceiling and low floor. Habs need a C and this is a once in a decade opportunity that they can't pass on.

Wright's a safe pick to get a top-line C or at worst a 2C with elite defense. Habs are lucky to get him. Slaf has no bearing in the conversation iMO. Not when the most important piece, a centerman with 1st line potential is on the table.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Slaf turns into a Joel Armia type.
You are valuing Wright higher than what he has shown this year, his 200 ft. work was actually pretty weak, he avoided the boards, was soft on pucks, lacked grit, lacked dynamism and pace.

Comparing Slaf to Armia is actually pretty weak assessment of the player, I wont even comment here.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You are valuing Wright higher than what he has shown this year, his 200 ft. work was actually pretty weak, he avoided the boards, was soft on pucks, lacked grit, lacked dynamism and pace.

Comparing Slaf to Armia is actually pretty weak asessment of the player, I wont even comment here.
After the first quarter of the season (when Wright was getting his legs back), he dominated in the OHL. Dynamism is not a pre-requisite to top-line C. Aho is anything but dynamic. Wright is an elite defensive player with top-line offense potential.

Bottom line is he is the Best Player Available. Don't believe me? Ask the majority of scouts!

Also, Armia had far better numbers coming out of LIiga in his draft year compared to Slaf. Not even close.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Comparing Slaf to Armia is actually pretty weak assessment of the player, I wont even comment here.
Now you are just showing how ridiculous you are. ZERO cred just trolling Mtl fans.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
yeah, I've noticed many insecure habs fans in this thread
I’m an habs fans and yes they are very insecure, even on twitter. When someone talks about how wright is not the only one in the discussions for the number 1 spot they start getting mad and insult these people and harass them.

They’re getting mad weird when someone talks about Cooley or Slafkovsky being first.

They look insecure in their own choice. Decided on may 10th it should be Wright since he were first on most of the amateur lists and defend him like their lives depend on it.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
If Slafkovsky is so good, why wasn't he better in Liiga? Wasn't very impressed watching him play there.
But I do admit he looked better with Slovakia (Seen 3 games that Slovakia played against Finland).

Liiga isn't really that difficult of a league for young player to score. Easier than SHL or KHL.
Kemell, Lundell, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Puljujärvi, Laine, Rantanen and others managed to score more than Slafkovsky.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If Slafkovsky is so good, why wasn't he better in Liiga? Wasn't very impressed watching him play there.
But I do admit he looked better with Slovakia (Seen 3 games that Slovakia played against Finland).

Liiga isn't really that difficult of a league for young player to score. Easier than SHL or KHL.
Kemell, Lundell, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Puljujärvi, Laine, Rantanen and others managed to score more than Slafkovsky.
It’s been said a ton . Start of the season he was used in a checking role and in the bottom 6 , playing with nobody’s.
His confidence has to be low , not many minutes and his role was not to his strengths.
It is somewhat worrisome but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be . He played much better once he gained confidence and his role changed

Reactions: stastny12

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Could be a very interesting draft, especially considering it’s in Montreal. How will the Habs’ fans react if their club passes on Wright to select Stafloski?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Could be a very interesting draft, especially considering it’s in Montreal. How will the Habs’ fans react if their club passes on Wright to select Stafloski?
They are already starting to get prepared.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Maybe because he was not used in top 6 in Liiga? Coach prefered older guys

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
I’m an habs fans and yes they are very insecure, even on twitter. When someone talks about how wright is not the only one in the discussions for the number 1 spot they start getting mad and insult these people and harass them.

They’re getting mad weird when someone talks about Cooley or Slafkovsky being first.

They look insecure in their own choice. Decided on may 10th it should be Wright since he were first on most of the amateur lists and defend him like their lives depend on it.

There are annoying gatekeepers for both Wright and Slafkovsky and they all have their head so far up their own ass, it makes for an incredibly childish situation. You can't be high on either one without someone pouring salt all over the place.

Both are remarkable players, and whoever the Habs and Devils select fans should just trust in their hockey ops to plan out a development process that will help them excel in their own role.

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
There are annoying gatekeepers for both Wright and Slafkovsky and they all have their head so far up their own ass, it makes for an incredibly childish situation. You can't be high on either one without someone pouring salt all over the place.

Both are remarkable players, and whoever the Habs and Devils select fans should just trust in their hockey ops to plan out a development process that will help them excel in their own role.

I would prefer the Habs to draft Cooley anyway lol so i'm not that invested in these Wright vs Slafkovsky debates but yes there are people on both sides who's taking this way too much at heart.

Neither of us are the room with Hughes, Gorton & their scouts department, we don't know at all what their debates are but all I know is that i'm sure there's debates and they are not totally sure on who they'll take at this point in time.

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
I have only been following this guy for ~2 years, but the improvements he has achieved so far are quite impressive. Every tournament he plays at I can see big improvements in his overall game. And I have a feeling he is nowhere near done, the potential I believe is at the very top, given the proper coaching.

if he stays in Liiga, there is no way he's staying bottom 6 and playing the minutes he played last year.
It is probably more likely he'll play in the AHL with couple of NHL games (maybe at the beginning of the season).

I think Devils organization would fit him, but as the time goes on, I feel like he might end up in Montreal.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I would prefer the Habs to draft Cooley anyway lol so i'm not that invested in these Wright vs Slafkovsky debates but yes there are people on both sides who's taking this way too much at heart.

Neither of us are the room with Hughes, Gorton & their scouts department, we don't know at all what their debates are but all I know is that i'm sure there's debates and they are not totally sure on who they'll take at this point in time.
There are annoying gatekeepers for both Wright and Slafkovsky....and Cooley!

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
There are annoying gatekeepers for both Wright and Slafkovsky....and Cooley!

Is this supposed to be a sarcastic point at me?

all i ever did was to say i prefer cooley as a player and prefer how he would fit the habs, that is pretty much it.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
So people are saying that Slafkovsky's role and icetime affected his play, and I started wondering, how does his icetime compare to other forward prospects who played in Liiga in their draft years?

Here are icetimes of notable (1st or 2nd round) prospects in their draft years (since 2015 season):

Rantanen 16:14, Aho 12:17, Hintz 13:05, Laine 17:16, Puljujärvi 15:04, Luostarinen 10:25, Kotkaniemi 15:35, Kupari 12:05, Kakko 18:11, Lundell 15:49, Hirvonen 14:39, Räty 11:38, Helenius 14:46, Kemell 16:13, Lambert 14:15.

Slafkovsky's regular season icetime average was 14:11. His icetime wasn't really that bad?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
After the first quarter of the season (when Wright was getting his legs back), he dominated in the OHL. DynamismT is not a pre-requisite to top-line C. Aho is anything but dynamic. Wright is an elite defensive player with top-line offense potential.

Bottom line is he is the Best Player Available. Don't believe me? Ask the majority of scouts!

Also, Armia had far better numbers coming out of LIiga in his draft year compared to Slaf. Not even close.
He really didnt. Not sure why people keep saying this I watched him a bunch, he did no dominate. Sometimes you actually have to watch the games. Slaf is a way better prospect than Armia ever was. Pretty obvious when you watch the games and not just the stat sheet. You see the elite traits quite clearly.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
So people are saying that Slafkovsky's role and icetime affected his play, and I started wondering, how does his icetime compare to other forward prospects who played in Liiga in their draft years?

Here are icetimes of notable (1st or 2nd round) prospects in their draft years (since 2015 season):

Rantanen 16:14, Aho 12:17, Hintz 13:05, Laine 17:16, Puljujärvi 15:04, Luostarinen 10:25, Kotkaniemi 15:35, Kupari 12:05, Kakko 18:11, Lundell 15:49, Hirvonen 14:39, Räty 11:38, Helenius 14:46, Kemell 16:13, Lambert 14:15.

Slafkovsky's regular season icetime average was 14:11. His icetime wasn't really that bad?
We have Armia with similar attributes that looks like a superstar at the WC but he can't bring it on regularly in the NHL. That is what makes me anxious with Slafkovsky. I have doubts about every player in the top 5 as well. Very difficult choice... like many said best player in the draft might go top 5 or even top 10 when we reassess this draft in 3-4 years.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We have Armia with similar attributes that looks like a superstar at the WC but he can't bring it on regularly in the NHL. That is what makes me anxious with Slafkovsky. I have doubts about every player in the top 5 as well. Very difficult choice... like many said best player in the draft might go top 5 or even top 10 when we reassess this draft in 3-4 years.

I have doubts with Slaf as well but the Armia comparison is a pretty bizarre thing to be worried by. Armia turns 29 in 2 days. Slaf turned 18 2 months ago. He’s nowhere near done developing.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
First of all, Armia has never got the chance to play a top6 role in any organization and has always been somewhat underrated and perhaps even not fulfilled his potential. On the other hand he´s still a really good bottom6 in my opinion.

WIth that said, i think Slafkovsky is the biggest prospect in this draft. He´s clearly better than Byfield and i do think he has a bigger upside than Lafreniere (comparing to other big built talents before).
His presence is felt when he´s on the ice, even in the WC-playoffs, that says it all really. He played against defenders like Heiskanen, Lindell and a difficult finnish system and still managed to show what he can do.
Compared to other forwards in his draft year? Cooley, Wright etc? Slafkovsky is the clear number one without hesitating.
Also, i would consider Jiricek and Nemec before Cooley and Wright, but i guess NHL franchises insist on choosing the NA-player if it´s a close race.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
First of all, Armia has never got the chance to play a top6 role in any organization and has always been somewhat underrated and perhaps even not fulfilled his potential. On the other hand he´s still a really good bottom6 in my opinion.

WIth that said, i think Slafkovsky is the biggest prospect in this draft. He´s clearly better than Byfield and i do think he has a bigger upside than Lafreniere (comparing to other big built talents before).
His presence is felt when he´s on the ice, even in the WC-playoffs, that says it all really. He played against defenders like Heiskanen, Lindell and a difficult finnish system and still managed to show what he can do.
Compared to other forwards in his draft year? Cooley, Wright etc? Slafkovsky is the clear number one without hesitating.
Also, i would consider Jiricek and Nemec before Cooley and Wright, but i guess NHL franchises insist on choosing the NA-player if it´s a close race.

This is a whole lot of wild shit

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This is a whole lot of wild shit

You are arrogant and wrong and last but not least? I dont give a f*ck about your opinion :D

Imagine writing such a comment, i understand you feel constructive sonny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nowotny
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad