LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The last time I heard that size and dominated against men line of argument was Rangers fans trying to sell the idea of Kaako over Hughes. Obviously, that doesn't mean this will be the case with Slaf, but short tournament skew results big time. And lets not forget that the Olympics were not exactly the greatest competition this time around.
Let’s not forget he dominated against men at two major international tournaments.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
His work ethic is outstanding that´s well known. And it´s an another reason why his "he´ll bust" believers won´t be right, he´ll be at least very good NHL player if not a star. So we´ll see what the future brings but I´m convinced that his 1st OV spot on a draftday was fully deserved.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
His work ethic is outstanding that´s well known. And it´s an another reason why his "he´ll bust" believers won´t be right, he´ll be at least very good NHL player if not a star. So we´ll see what the future brings but I´m convinced that his 1st OV spot on a draftday was fully deserved.
I definitely agree that his work ethic is excellent, and he seems like a mentally balanced kid otherwise too. I can see him become a good NHL player with his attitude and his physicality. But I still doubt he becomes a real star. I just don't see good enough hockey IQ and decision making on the ice. Not bad with it for sure, but definitely nothing special with it either. True stars have practically always pretty darn good hockey IQ. I just don't see that in him. Of course he might prove me wrong, and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
I definitely agree that his work ethic is excellent, and he seems like a mentally balanced kid otherwise too. I can see him become a good NHL player with his attitude and his physicality. But I still doubt he becomes a real star. I just don't see good enough hockey IQ and decision making on the ice. Not bad with it for sure, but definitely nothing special with it either. True stars have practically always pretty darn good hockey IQ. I just don't see that in him. Of course he might prove me wrong, and I wouldn't mind it at all.
A good post and at least you offered your objective view here with which one I can generally agree. Yes, his hockey IQ isn't exceptional, sometimes his handling of situations isn't the best. And it's related with the biggest weakness in his game so far - he could be better on power plays. But again, I see his willingness to learn new things and when he finds that something works, he starts using it. And even if his hockey IQ isn't at the highest level yet, he has other attributes that distinguish him from other players - size, skill, strength, work ethic. I know that improving decision making isn't easy but if he could improve then he could be a real unicorn player.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

What's with this form? Wouldn't shock me if he has many mysterious injuries in the future if that's how he trains. Maybe he can get away with it at 18 years of age, but... Hurt to watch most of that.

Such variety of exercises is of course a good thing but I'd really get the form looked at, hopefully sooner rather than later.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
What's with this form? Wouldn't shock me if he has many mysterious injuries in the future if that's how he trains. Maybe he can get away with it at 18 years of age, but... Hurt to watch most of that.

Such variety of exercises is of course a good thing but I'd really get the form looked at, hopefully sooner rather than later.
I assume the program is made by professionals that consider their client, a young and elite athlete. Looking at their Instagram, it seems like they train other atlhetes and know what they are doing...

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022

What is it exactly about his form that has you concerned?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

What? I’m not a fan of the Habs picking this guy 1OA but his workout looks incredible. That’s a guy who is lean, strong, and (clearly) 100% committed to being the best he can be. He looks great to me.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm always concerned with ANYTHING that puts a huge strain on the back. Reaching out with heavy weights is a future back killer. Anywho...I'm sure he's working with trained pros so everything is in moderation.

As for his floor and ceiling...how about we see him on the ice with NHL pros before making any comments?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm always concerned with ANYTHING that puts a huge strain on the back. Reaching out with heavy weights is a future back killer. Anywho...I'm sure he's working with trained pros so everything is in moderation.

As for his floor and ceiling...how about we see him on the ice with NHL pros before making any comments?

Fair enough but floor and ceiling will be discussed with a guy who went #1 and even mores as the Habs really did need a center so if Slaf isn't at least a star Hab fans will be disappointed.

for me I think he will be a good player but his ceiling will be determined by his hockey IQ and how much he can make up with his other attributes to overcome that.

The lack of a star center in Montreal also won't help his development either.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Fair enough but floor and ceiling will be discussed with a guy who went #1 and even mores as the Habs really did need a center so if Slaf isn't at least a star Hab fans will be disappointed.

for me I think he will be a good player but his ceiling will be determined by his hockey IQ and how much he can make up with his other attributes to overcome that.

The lack of a star center in Montreal also won't help his development either.
Nick Suzuki might not currently be a 'star' per-say, but he certainly isn't going to hold anyone's development back.

Reactions: jj cale

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

It looks fine? Elite athletes don’t train like bodybuilders

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What are the chances he goes back to Slovakia to continue his development?
0.01%
They want him in North America : AHL or NHL.

If not that, I am assuiming he would be back to the finnish league and if not that maybe Slovakia but there are little to no benefits of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad