LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
GI've
There are a couple of those posters who I won't name who have left to the Seattle board to become Kraken fans. The majority of their posts since the draft are on the Kraken board. I checked their post histories and they were legit Habs fans before. One basically saying he can't cheer for the Habs anymore because they didn't draft Wright. f***ing pathetic lol. The other repeatedly calling Shane Wright a 100 point player, trashing the Habs org and calling them stupid for not drafting him, and is now circlejerking with all the Kraken fans over Wright on the Kraken board. Made me laugh so hard, wtf lol.
Sounds like he was one of the few that bought a Wright jersey to early.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Laf's hype got way out of control. Even Bob said in his draft write up "Lafreniere is not viewed as a generational talent like Connor McDavid or necessarily labelled a franchise player, but there’s no doubting what he is." But, you had a ton of people throwing around best prospect since McDavid, etc.
I agree he as overhyped but he didn't have an attitude like Wright.

GI've

Sounds like he was one of the few that bought a Wright jersey to early.
If they bought the jersey to get Wright to sign it and then sell it then they got what they deserved.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
delete if already posted, but great article from our boy Grant.

“I was really impressed with him when Slovakia was in those crunch-time games in crunch-time situations where they were up or down a goal in the last minutes,” noted a scout. “It was amazing to watch the coach keep throwing him out there, and it was amazing watching other players on Slovakia defer the puck to him. You could just tell, and that’s what just kept shining through.”

A major reason why Slafkovsky rose to the top of the draft rankings was that he reminded many of a Mikko Rantanen-type playoff performer in those two 2022 men’s tournaments.

“If he can develop into Mikko Rantanen; he’s better than him at the same age,” said one scout “He may even be better than Rantanen. You see what Rantanen has become and you would take that first overall in this draft, and there are some comparables there but at the same age, Slaf is the better player. Better feet, even nicer hands.

“I think it’s important that as scouts we watch the NHL playoffs to see what matters the most in prospects,” added the scout. “That’s the whole point of drafting; it’s not necessarily drafting the guy who will have the highest point totals, but who’s the guy that actually helps you win games in the NHL playoffs and get you that Cup. I couldn’t help but watch the playoffs and think to myself that Juraj would be the guy. You watched him at the Olympics and the Worlds…he proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt.

“Imagine being in a seven-game series against this guy and trying to stop him game after game, shift after shift. He’s eventually going to break free and be dangerous.”

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
delete if already posted, but great article from our boy Grant.

“I was really impressed with him when Slovakia was in those crunch-time games in crunch-time situations where they were up or down a goal in the last minutes,” noted a scout. “It was amazing to watch the coach keep throwing him out there, and it was amazing watching other players on Slovakia defer the puck to him. You could just tell, and that’s what just kept shining through.”

A major reason why Slafkovsky rose to the top of the draft rankings was that he reminded many of a Mikko Rantanen-type playoff performer in those two 2022 men’s tournaments.

“If he can develop into Mikko Rantanen; he’s better than him at the same age,” said one scout “He may even be better than Rantanen. You see what Rantanen has become and you would take that first overall in this draft, and there are some comparables there but at the same age, Slaf is the better player. Better feet, even nicer hands.

“I think it’s important that as scouts we watch the NHL playoffs to see what matters the most in prospects,” added the scout. “That’s the whole point of drafting; it’s not necessarily drafting the guy who will have the highest point totals, but who’s the guy that actually helps you win games in the NHL playoffs and get you that Cup. I couldn’t help but watch the playoffs and think to myself that Juraj would be the guy. You watched him at the Olympics and the Worlds…he proved himself beyond a shadow of a doubt.

“Imagine being in a seven-game series against this guy and trying to stop him game after game, shift after shift. He’s eventually going to break free and be dangerous.”

You should expect the first overall pick to be an offensive dynamo though.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Slafkovsky also played in Liiga playoffs where he was largely invisible, especially in the finals. So it is a bit funny to me that when making a point about how his play translates to playoffs, his play in playoffs wasn't mentioned.
Invisible, especially in the finals, right? And who wasn´t when in the finals it was "hockey" with literally no scoring opportunities on both sides. Nobody stands out in that type of "hockey". Thanks god he´s leaving Finnish league because watching games here was martyrdom for me. TPS scored 4 goals in the 5 final series games if I remember correctly, Slafkovsky was 1+1 there. I don´t know what you expected in these kind of matchups...

In other play-offs games at the Olympics or WC Slafkovsky was the best player of his team almost every game he played so I think his game translated to the playoffs quite well.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Invisible, especially in the finals, right? And who wasn´t when in the finals it was "hockey" with literally no scoring opportunities on both sides. Nobody stands out in that type of "hockey". Thanks god he´s leaving Finnish league because watching games here was martyrdom for me. TPS scored 4 goals in the 5 final series games if I remember correctly, Slafkovsky was 1+1 there. I don´t know what you expected in these kind of matchups...

In other play-offs games at the Olympics or WC Slafkovsky was the best player of his team almost every game he played so I think his game translated to the playoffs quite well.
I thought he was pretty invisible in that Ilves series too and that series had decent amount of goals scored in it.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
He should be a serviceable, big grinding 4th liner who is able to chip in 10 to 12 goals a year and cycle and protect the puck well.
I don't know if you're serious, but that is legitimately closer to his actual projection as a third line complementary 15-20 goal scoring winger than the ridiculous 100 point season prognostications. A twenty-five to thirty goal season with some exceptional luck isn't out of the question, of course, but the stars will have to align for him.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
There are a couple of those posters who I won't name who have left to the Seattle board to become Kraken fans. The majority of their posts since the draft are on the Kraken board. I checked their post histories and they were legit Habs fans before. One basically saying he can't cheer for the Habs anymore because they didn't draft Wright. f***ing pathetic lol. The other repeatedly calling Shane Wright a 100 point player, trashing the Habs org and calling them stupid for not drafting him, and is now circlejerking with all the Kraken fans over Wright on the Kraken board. Made me laugh so hard, wtf lol.
Kids will be kids...

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I think the main reason why Juraj Slafkovsky wasn't better in Liiga is Juraj Slafkovsky.
I think all the talk about TPS being a defensive team, Liiga being tough to score, linemates, icetime, is mostly just excuses.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I think the main reason why Juraj Slafkovsky wasn't better in Liiga is Juraj Slafkovsky.
I think all the talk about TPS being a defensive team, Liiga being tough to score, linemates, icetime, is mostly just excuses.
Him going 1OA shows that this is a minority opinion

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You should expect the first overall pick to be an offensive dynamo though.
Outside of maybe Cooley, not one player in this draft really screams dynamic offensive talent. And, to be honest neither Wright nor Cooley's offensive production is particularly impressive in comparison to recent draft picks from their respective leagues. It's not like Wright had Marner or Tavares OHL numbers this year, let alone McDavid or Patrick Kane, or Cooley had J. Hughes, Matthews or Eichel level numbers in the USNTDP.

An offensive dynamo will probably emerge, but no one in this draft projects as a clear-cut likely one. Unless you really want to heavily value a season that happened over 2 years ago, in a year where the OHL (especially OHL east) saw ridiculous scoring rates.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Him going #1 overall mostly has to do with his play with Slovak NT. In Liiga he was definitely underwhelming.

His offense is there against peers that are his own age, that's a good sign. I imagine most scouts had him at 1 because they believe he can learn how to produce at the NHL level.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
His offense is there against peers that are his own age, that's a good sign. I imagine most scouts had him at 1 because they believe he can learn how to produce at the NHL level.
I'd be pretty worried if a huge guy like Slaf wasn't producing against kids.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Montreal I think took a great player at number 1....Wright was the safer pick but Slafkovsky with his skating, hands and size do not come around every day, this guy has a way higher ceiling than Wright......I was thinking they should have went safer route and i still think Wright has a lot of upside left in him...both are amazing prospects...really couldnt go wrong.

Agree with that. Shane Wright have high potential and going to be a great NHL player, but when you looks on Juraj Slafkovsky tools, that's very impressive, he have more potential than any forwards in NHL draft 2022... and play with passion, being in appartment at 14 years old it's a crazy thing... I don't think most of people, prospects at 14 years old can be in a appartment at this age. (Even me i'm a 26 years old guy with my parents lol), that's a very impressive thing to know about Slafkovsky.

Great pick by Habs and he will fit perfectly with Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield, they needed a player like Slafkovsky.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'd be pretty worried if a huge guy like Slaf wasn't producing against kids.

Good news then, you needn't worry about Slaf.

He's shown he can also produce against men as well as he did in the olympics when he's given the icetime and proper linemates.

Again, there's a reason why most scouts had this kid at #1...these are paid professionals employed by the best hockey league in the world, they draft based on how they think he'll progress if he's developed properly...it's up to Slaf and the habs now to make sure he reaches his potential.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Good news then, you needn't worry about Slaf.

He's shown he can also produce against men as well as he did in the olympics when he's given the icetime and proper linemates.

Again, there's a reason why most scouts had this kid at #1...these are paid professionals employed by the best hockey league in the world, they draft based on how they think he'll progress if he's developed properly...it's up to Slaf and the habs now to make sure he reaches his potential.
Was still underwhelming in Liiga. Am still worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad