LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Guys forget about stats. The reason why Habs took Slaf over Wright and everyone else is his personality and character.
He is funny, confident but still polite kid. After the Olympics MVP he became like national hero here in Slovakia. A lot of media, ladies attention and he handled it perfectly. Kept focused on hockey and his life.
To understand his character, you need to look at his game log this year. It was absolutely insane.
In August, U18 Hlinka Gretzky cup and 2nd place for Slovakia (we always ended up 8th as the weakest team). Later in the month, he switched to mens team for Olympic qualification. Went back to Finland finally to his team TPS. Obviously, missing the whole pre-season did not help his position in the team. Started slowly and again moved to U20 WJC late December. Had one month again in TPS and moved to Olympics in February. Scoring 7G in 7 games and winning bronze and MVP. After the Olympics he finally had some stable time in Finland playing rest of the season in 2 line. His stats improved and helped his team to the finals. In the end, very good tournament at World Champs 9p in 9 GP. Somewhere in between he played also 11 games for TPS junior team. Plus this kid lives on his own since 15 in foreign country. No parents or billet family.
Think about it, in such hectic schedule he had some struggles, but he always responded well. Honestly, he had very limited time improve his skills. So, keep him in one place (NHL or AHL) give him some stability and good coaches and he will be great.
Now compare this with Wright who thinks he deserves to be NO1. You don't deserve anything in NHL, you have to fight for it every day, every game, every shift.

One of the best posts I've read so far on HFBoards. Thank you sir

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Jagr on Slafkovsky:

"Of course, Jágr’s opinion on Juraj Slafkovsky’s 18-year-old Slovak talent was also interested in local journalists. The most useful player at the Beijing Olympics, where he also became the best scorer and the most productive player, should attack the highest places in this year’s NHL draft.

“Excellent player!” Jágr fired immediately and remembers that he saw the Košice native for the first time exactly a year ago, when he played against the Czech Republic in preparation for the World Championships. to find out what players the Slovaks have there, “recalls Jágr.

“I turned on the TV and Juraj Slafkovský was with the puck at the guardrail. He was very strong. I say to myself: enThis plays in a similar style to me, I want him on the team. ‘ And then I found out that he was seventeen and that I had absolutely no chance. I knew he would play in a much better team, “praises Jágr, the left wingman of the Finnish TPS Turku."

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Jagr on Slafkovsky:

But I was told that the article was probably fake news by a Habs fan before the draft. :D

Reactions: Dutronc

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
So, what's the best explanation for Slaf scoring and playing so good with NT, but less impressive with TPS?
Slaf played against mostly better teams (some way better) with NT than in Liiga, so it just seems a bit confusing to me. Best explanation seems to be that Liiga is more structured and strict, and with NT he was allowed to "do his thing" more and get more freedom.

Reactions: Ippenator

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So, what's the best explanation for Slaf scoring and playing so good with NT, but less impressive with TPS?
Slaf played against mostly better teams (some way better) with NT than in Liiga, so it just seems a bit confusing to me. Best explanation seems to be that Liiga is more structured and strict, and with NT he was allowed to "do his thing" more and get more freedom.

I think it's basically this. The Steenbergen-Slaf line, for whatever reason, was way more passive with Slaf in particular playing a way more passive role than the Pärssinen-Nurmi-Pyyhtiä line. Slafkovsky was way more active and involved in the play with the NT.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
The main difference is the system – it was very defensive and strict in the TPS. He said in some interview that he would often get yelled at if he lost a puck. So he would rather play safe than trying some risky moves.

The system in the NT was a complete opposite, best described with a Ramsay's saying: Safe is death.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The main difference is the system – it was very defensive and strict in the TPS. He said in some interview that he would often get yelled at if he lost a puck. So he would rather play safe than trying some risky moves.

The system in the NT was a complete opposite, best described with a Ramsay's saying: Safe is death.

So MSL should be good for him as a coach then. I like.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022

So, he's probably not coming back to TPS. lol

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Nice to see Habs fans finally seeing how great Slafkovsky is, Opposition can't get the puck from him which allow makes it so he can simply wait for a good passing opportunity to make a good play. Instead of having board battles where players generally make poor rushed decisions he can just protect the puck and wait for help or find someone to pass to.

Also as you can see its very hard to deal with him and his long reach that the other team might commit penalties when trying to get the puck.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
There are still about a dozen Habs fans on the MTL board that are still butt-hurt about us not taking Wright.
There are a couple of those posters who I won't name who have left to the Seattle board to become Kraken fans. The majority of their posts since the draft are on the Kraken board. I checked their post histories and they were legit Habs fans before. One basically saying he can't cheer for the Habs anymore because they didn't draft Wright. f***ing pathetic lol. The other repeatedly calling Shane Wright a 100 point player, trashing the Habs org and calling them stupid for not drafting him, and is now circlejerking with all the Kraken fans over Wright on the Kraken board. Made me laugh so hard, wtf lol.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
I think it's basically this. The Steenbergen-Slaf line, for whatever reason, was way more passive with Slaf in particular playing a way more passive role than the Pärssinen-Nurmi-Pyyhtiä line. Slafkovsky was way more active and involved in the play with the NT.
They just looked passive cause they were so bad.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
There are a couple of those posters who I won't name who have left to the Seattle board to become Kraken fans. The majority of their posts since the draft are on the Kraken board. I checked their post histories and they were legit Habs fans before. One basically saying he can't cheer for the Habs anymore because they didn't draft Wright. f***ing pathetic lol. The other repeatedly calling Shane Wright a 100 point player, trashing the Habs org and calling them stupid for not drafting him, and is now circlejerking with all the Kraken fans over Wright on the Kraken board. Made me laugh so hard, wtf lol.

Name them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad