LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
This is what bothers me the most about this pick. The production is just not there, especially for a 1st overall pick. Hope he comes to AHL and can put up closer to point/game before reaching NHL.

Their lies the problem. We're scouts ogiling over him due to his size? It certainly wasn't production, but they keep calling him a goal scorer.

Reactions: Wats and Et le But

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Slafkovsky was a disappearing act in the finals, while Aho scored the championship goal. But ok.
What are you talking about? Aho doesn't seem to have another gear in the playoffs. He is good but not great. Carolina lost to a weaker team. Slafkovsky has helped his team beat superior teams.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
His numbers in Ligaa are concerning, but I've heard TPS is one of the most defensive teams in the league, where his coach played him on the 3rd line. Keep in mind Juraj is a Slovak, he would have gotten more ice time in Finland if he were a Finn, it's human nature. Like KK almost had twice as many points, but played for a low-tier team his dad coached where he was put up front. In the end Slafkowsky really showed what he's made up in international events and scouts ranked him highly accordingly.

Last edited:

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
His numbers in Ligaa are concerning, but I've heard TPS is one of the most defensive teams in the league, where his coach played him on the 3rd line. Keep in mind Juraj is a Slovak, he would have gotten more ice time in Finland if he were a Finn, it's human nature. Like KK almost had twice as many points, but played for a low-tier team his dad coached where he was put up front. In the end Slafkowsky really showed what he's made up in international events and scouts ranked him highly accordingly.

That is kind of hard to prove and speculative. I think TPS coaching staff deploys players to win games, not to give special treatment to Finnish players.

As we are speculating these kind of things, consider this: If Slafkovsky was a Finn, he wouldn't have been the number 1 pick, no chance. Why so? Well, Juraj's fantastic performance in Slovakian national teams was the single largest factor in his draft position. He wouldn't have made the Finnish National team in the Olympics or the WC's, so no chance to prove himself there.

He has really high potential, but this is one of the more risky 1st picks in recent memory. He has size, but it is less crucial in modern NHL, and I sometimes wonder if scouts overrate that aspect.

Anyways, I hope he ends up being a great player, it would be so good for Slovakian hockey and international hockey in general.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What are you talking about? Aho doesn't seem to have another gear in the playoffs. He is good but not great. Carolina lost to a weaker team. Slafkovsky has helped his team beat superior teams.
I'm talking about how pre-draft, Slafkovsky was a disappearing act in the Liiga finals while Aho scored the championship goal.

Hard for me to say how good Slafkovsky has been in NHL playoffs when he's not played a single NHL match yet. But Aho's 0.96 ppg in playoffs, and you're kidding yourself if you think that's bad.

Slafkovsky has a lot to do if he wants to get to such a level that Aho's NHL playoff performance can be considered weak in comparison. He scored 10 points last season, yet we're assuming that he'll just be a PPG+ player in NHL. You don't see the issue?

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
That is kind of hard to prove and speculative. I think TPS coaching staff deploys players to win games, not to give special treatment to Finnish players.

As we are speculating these kind of things, consider this: If Slafkovsky was a Finn, he wouldn't have been the number 1 pick, no chance. Why so? Well, Juraj's fantastic performance in Slovakian national teams was the single largest factor in his draft position. He wouldn't have made the Finnish National team in the Olympics or the WC's, so no chance to prove himself there.

He has really high potential, but this is one of the more risky 1st picks in recent memory. He has size, but it is less crucial in modern NHL, and I sometimes wonder if scouts overrate that aspect.

Anyways, I hope he ends up being a great player, it would be so good for Slovakian hockey and international hockey in general.

I agree, it's speculative. I agree, the coach plays his players to win, that's the idea; but "playing your players to win" is an end, it is not a mean. If you look at the decision making process of the TPS coach closely, under a microscope, I'm not sure you would find it to be all that rational, as it is the case for every human being: we like to think our decisions are rational but most of the time they are not, as we are not omniscient and rather follow hunches. I'm only saying it because I read Plato's Symposium last night...

Last edited:

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Slafkovsky averaged 14:11, Kotkaniemi 15:35
I didn't realize getting 1:24 more icetime was that significant.

Reactions: Ippenator and Wats

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Slafkovsky averaged 14:11, Kotkaniemi 15:35
I didn't realize getting 1:24 more icetime was that significant.
Well yeah, one and a half minutes more every game is significant. But most importantly, power play time! Ice time is just a stat, you have to play with it. Stats can lie. I'm no scout, I'm just a Habs fan trying to see the glass half full instead of half empty, obviously I will come out as biased, but just watching highlights I don't see Slafkovsky falling on his butt like bambi like KK, that gives me hope they will not amount to the same. Also, talking about stats, Slaf played a lot more minutes in international tournaments. You are Finnish, you must know better than me, can I ask you a question: In relation to the olympics and other adult tournaments Salfkowsky played in, how does the level of play compares to the Ligaa? Thanks.

Last edited:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
"Even just Rantanen"
regular 408gp 165g 243a 408p +44 playoffs 63gp 23g 54a 77p +17 and Stanley Cup 2022

What a shame if Slafkovsky turns out to be like "even just Rantanen". Forsberg and Bertuzzi are studs compared to him?
I was joking because Rantanen is probably considered too "soft" for a lot of Habs fans who had their brains broken by the Bruins and dislike any player who isn't a hit machine. If Slafkovsky is a Rantanen clone than this pick was a success.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
I agree, it's speculative. I agree, the coach plays his players to win, that's the idea; but "playing your players to win" is an end, it is not a mean. If you look at the decision making process of the Pelicans' coach closely, under a microscope, I'm not sure you would find it to be all that rational, as it is the case for every human being: we like to think our decisions are rational but most of the time they are not, as we are not omniscient and rather follow hunches. I'm only saying it because I read Plato's Symposium last night...
Dont understand this, what has Pelicans coach to do with KK or Slaf.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Just posting this comparison of Slaf's P/60 compared to other Liiga prospects on their draft years again (regular season):

Kakko 2.79
Laine 2.49
Lundell 2.41
Puljujärvi 2.23
Kemell 2.18
Aho 2.12
Kotkaniemi 1.96
Rantanen 1.85
Kupari 1.78
Slafkovsky 1.36
Lambert 0.86
Even lower than Kotkaniemi. Habs messed up big time.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Habs fan here trying to cope with the pick... Can someone sell me dreams ?
I’m a Devils fan and am massively pissed you guys took him. He will be a fan favourite . Kid is a beast .
I hope you guys spend the next 20 years looking for a C amd Wright and Cooley are top 10 C in the league.
Lol, I am kidding. I think he will be awesome in Montreal and I really liked the moves you made this last draft. The Dach trade right nkw looks like an overpay but if he breaks out…. Masterful work by the Habs.

I would t be worried a out his numbers this past year. The kid was used improperly most of the season . He made the Olympic team amd was told he was going to be used in a 4th line checking role. He took advantage of his limited ice time and dominated , righfully earning top line role.
He is just comi g into his own just recently and he will continue to improve and I think he will be a dominant force to deal with .
He will make his line mates better and open up time and space for them .
I think he will be like Rick Nash / Rantanen good .

Last edited:

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
KK played for Porin Ässät.

I know. Assat Jokers' is the name of the team if I remember correctly. I watched some of his games two summers ago or whenever he had a stint over there during a covid summer. I wasn't nearly as impressed as the highlights I saw from Salfkowsky! They're just highlights but it seems like he's done well in those tournaments.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Well yeah, one and a half minutes more every game is significant. But most importantly, power play time! Ice time is just a stat, you have to play with it. Stats can lie. I'm no scout, I'm just a Habs fan trying to see the glass half full instead of half empty, obviously I will come out as biased, but just watching highlights I don't see Slafkowsky falling on his butt like bambi like KK, that gives me hope they will not amount to the same. Also, talking about stats, Slaf played a lot more minutes in international tournaments. You are Finnish, you must know better than me, can I ask you a question: In relation to the olympics and other adult tournaments Salfkowsky played in, how does the level of play compares to the Ligaa? Thanks.
Kotkaniemi scored 4 PP points out of 29 points so 13% PP point percentage.
Slafkovsky scored 3 PP points out of 10 points so 30% PP point percentage.
So PP points don't explain the difference in production.

Obviously depends which international team they were playing against, but I'd say mostly against better teams than in Liiga.

Reactions: FF de Mars

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think comparing slaf's numbers to previous prospects does not bring a whole lot of value into the conversation.

If everyone's development curve was exactly the same, then I could see the value in it, but that's just not the case.

We will have to wait and see what becomes of slaf, but I did find it interesting that Bob's list of the scouts he polled pretty much had him 50/50 with Wright for best prospect in the draft.

So I don't think it was a reach to take him #1 within the hockey circle.

Reactions: tooji

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The gullibility of people to believe lebrun.

Yes the NJ Devils filled with Professionals who work all year for this thought for sure they were getting Slafkovsky even after the Habs dismissed Wright as being a clear #1 and said it was a close threeway choice for them.:shakehead

They definitely didn't have anything ready at all if the Habs took Slafkovksy and were so shook that they numbly went up to the stage and picked Nemec.

Lets me also point out that if Lebrun did have a source in the NJ organization that person would have been fired for making his GM look incompetant. Its not like a lot of people would know that information.

One thing this Draft taught me is that the Canadian media needs a whipping boy to make drama. Over the past month every rumor they have put out about the Devils have been debunked.

As the tweet mentioned, they just took the next guy on their list. That doesn't sound like a team that was unprepared.

I think the main takeaway is that the devils had slaf #1 on their list too, and that Wright wasnt even #2 for them.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

canesman

Jul 10, 2022
Zilina, Slovakia
I concur. Just let the guy play. As a Slovak, I have been watching his development very closely and the sky is the limit in his case. Very electrifying type of player, there is always some kind of buzz when he is on the ice. Also, AFAIK, he seems to be a very reasonable young man, suprisingly mature for his age and with pretty likeable outgoing personality. Just, please, learn, how to spell his name correctly - there is no "w" in slovak :)

• Love
Reactions: FF de Mars

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Guys forget about stats. The reason why Habs took Slaf over Wright and everyone else is his personality and character.
He is funny, confident but still polite kid. After the Olympics MVP he became like national hero here in Slovakia. A lot of media, ladies attention and he handled it perfectly. Kept focused on hockey and his life.
To understand his character, you need to look at his game log this year. It was absolutely insane.
In August, U18 Hlinka Gretzky cup and 2nd place for Slovakia (we always ended up 8th as the weakest team). Later in the month, he switched to mens team for Olympic qualification. Went back to Finland finally to his team TPS. Obviously, missing the whole pre-season did not help his position in the team. Started slowly and again moved to U20 WJC late December. Had one month again in TPS and moved to Olympics in February. Scoring 7G in 7 games and winning bronze and MVP. After the Olympics he finally had some stable time in Finland playing rest of the season in 2 line. His stats improved and helped his team to the finals. In the end, very good tournament at World Champs 9p in 9 GP. Somewhere in between he played also 11 games for TPS junior team. Plus this kid lives on his own since 15 in foreign country. No parents or billet family.
Think about it, in such hectic schedule he had some struggles, but he always responded well. Honestly, he had very limited time improve his skills. So, keep him in one place (NHL or AHL) give him some stability and good coaches and he will be great.
Now compare this with Wright who thinks he deserves to be NO1. You don't deserve anything in NHL, you have to fight for it every day, every game, every shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad