LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I’m not getting why the Habs are getting so much hate. Kid was rated #2 and I could see why someone would fall in love with his skill set.

I’ve probably seen Slaf play 10+ times this year not including tournament play. I think many of you are going to be surprised with just how good this kid is going to end up.

From a pure physical point of view, the kid is a freak and one of the most gifted players I’ve ever seen. At 6-4 220 lbs (I think he’s closer to 230, and the kid hasn’t filled out yet and I think he can potentially grow some more) the kid has a great set of wheels, some of the softest hands I’ve ever seen on a big fella. He also has a great shot on him, and a mean streak which you love to see with a guy that big. His best attributes by far has to be his ability to use his body to protect the puck, and his soft hands allowing him to make moves in tight spots.

If I had to compare his game to anyone it would be PEAK Todd Bertuzzi. IMO he has the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft. I think the Habs got a homerun.

That's a brilliant peak.

Thanks for sharing!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I still don't like him being first overall. He got way picked too high only because of his physical attributes. Even Nemec would have been more believable for me as a first pick.

In order for him to live up to his hype, he needs to end up as a Rantanen type player. I am still not sure about him being able to reach this level. Nichuskin is probably more realistic one and I am not sure if that is a first pick level player.

That being said, I hope this kid proves me wrong.

Ranked 1st overall, went first overall..."he got picked too high"

Reactions: majormajor

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Keep hearing about his tools and his highlights look really good. But does anyone have possible explanations for the weak production in the LIGA? Especially for a 1 Overall? There’s obviously more to the story than points but it’s a large part of it

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The problem is he so far hasn't yet been good enough to play against men in SM-Liiga - which might not be the NHL but is a higher level competition than the Kazakhstan national team.
Not true. His regular season production was poor, but his playoff production was better. The overall competition he faced in international competition was even higher than what he faced in Liiga playoffs and his production was higher as well. Overall in 36 playoff and international games he put up a solid 25 points.

Put it all together and it's not spectacular production, quite a bit lower than Barkov or Laine, but it's not terrible and certainly doesn't support the notion that "he hasn't yet been good enough to play against men"

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Keep hearing about his tools and his highlights look really good. But does anyone have possible explanations for the weak production in the LIGA? Especially for a 1 Overall? There’s obviously more to the story than points but it’s a large part of it
The 31 game Liiga regular season number being used to justify claims of weak production only represents just over 1/3 of the 85 games he played in 21-22. he put up 29 points in 18 games against his own age group, and as I mentioned above 25 points in 36 games against between Liiga playoffs and international play. the 10 points in 31 games certainly isn't great but when that was all scouts had to look at he was ranked much lower. Not only did his production pick up a lot, the increase happened against tougher opponents and in high pressure tournament style games.

I'm not suggesting his productivity was spectacular but along with his tools I think it justifies his place at or near the top of this particular draft. He probably would not have gone 1OA in many other drafts, this was a weak year at the very top. (decent depth though)

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

Explain Liiga in three words.

Dead puck era.

It's a defense first league. Clutching and grabbing is still a thing. The top scorers in Liiga barely get over a point a game.

Reactions: degustator and jaro

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Listen to the Craig Ramsay interview (Slovak national team head coach)

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Brilliant pick by Habs. Think Habs had the best draft all around, in the entire league, between their trades and picks. Slaf is going to be a beast. Especially on a line with Suzuki and Caufield. What an absolute dream line that could turn out to be. And he's really the perfect compliment for Caufield, so Cole can focus on what he does best and get some protection.

Getting Dach was a great move. I don't see Dach surpassing Suzuki, but they should make a good 1/2 punch if Dach figures things out. He should be a good 2C. And they still were able to get Beck in the 2nd who's good insurance if Dach doesn't work out.

And I think they fleeced the Isles on that deal. I like Romanov. Just not for that high a 1st round pick, plus.... Isles would have been better off with Dach lol. And I think there were better Dmen then Romanov still available with that pick. But even more curious, there were WAY better forwards still available than Romanov is a Dman. Isles really could have used any of Nazar, Kemell, Lekker, Ohgren, Miroschichenko, Yurov etc.. And if they really wanted a D, I'd rather have Pickering or Chesley, maybe Bichsel even. Still shocked Chesley dropped into the 2nd. But no clue what the Isles are doing.

But Slaf has all the makings of one of the leagues elite power forwards. I'm not even sure who to compare him to. Kind of want to say he has aspects reminiscent of Ovechkin, but can't put him on THAT level. Hate to go with the "poor man's Ovi" lol.

Really though, I'm not sure if there is a great comparison. He's unique. And he could be a dominant player for years. I think the best forward in the draft in terms of ceiling. Right ahead of Cooley.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The gullibility of people to believe lebrun.

Yes the NJ Devils filled with Professionals who work all year for this thought for sure they were getting Slafkovsky even after the Habs dismissed Wright as being a clear #1 and said it was a close threeway choice for them.:shakehead

They definitely didn't have anything ready at all if the Habs took Slafkovksy and were so shook that they numbly went up to the stage and picked Nemec.

Lets me also point out that if Lebrun did have a source in the NJ organization that person would have been fired for making his GM look incompetant. Its not like a lot of people would know that information.

One thing this Draft taught me is that the Canadian media needs a whipping boy to make drama. Over the past month every rumor they have put out about the Devils have been debunked.

Reactions: John Pedro

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
5 goals and 10 points in 31 Liiga games. Betting on his physical tools is fine, but there is no way to spin that other than utterly eye-popping for a top-3 pick, much less the first overall selection.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal

Apparently this former scout knew all along the Habs were leaning towards Slaf, & that Wright would fall a bit.

This dude has a suspect history. He just throws a bunch of crap at the wall, hoping it sticks.

There are a few examples of his horrible takes.

Attachments

• n7lnxstfpu891.jpg
    n7lnxstfpu891.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 83316ttfpu891.jpg
    83316ttfpu891.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 14
  • dbv9dvtfpu891.jpg
    dbv9dvtfpu891.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Field of Dreams

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The gullibility of people to believe lebrun.

Yes the NJ Devils filled with Professionals who work all year for this thought for sure they were getting Slafkovsky even after the Habs dismissed Wright as being a clear #1 and said it was a close threeway choice for them.:shakehead

They definitely didn't have anything ready at all if the Habs took Slafkovksy and were so shook that they numbly went up to the stage and picked Nemec.

Lets me also point out that if Lebrun did have a source in the NJ organization that person would have been fired for making his GM look incompetant. Its not like a lot of people would know that information.

One thing this Draft taught me is that the Canadian media needs a whipping boy to make drama. Over the past month every rumor they have put out about the Devils have been debunked.
Everyone at the draft table would know. There would be no way to know who leaked it. And it doesn't indicate incompetence. They probably had Nemec 2nd and considered trading down for a second or 2 and dismissed the idea. They need defense and wingers. No reason to trade down unless you really don't like Nemec or Jiricek.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Everyone at the draft table would know. There would be no way to know who leaked it. And it doesn't indicate incompetence. They probably had Nemec 2nd and considered trading down for a second or 2 and dismissed the idea. They need defense and wingers. No reason to trade down unless you really don't like Nemec or Jiricek.
Thats different that what the rumor/tweet suggests though.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Hate to admit it, but I think Montreal made the right decision on this one. Slaf has great potential and all the tools you want to see. Seems like a good kid too, I'm sure he'll fit in well.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gorton gift wrapped you a complete and total rebuild in 3 years, you have one of the most young and exciting top squad in the NHL and should win the Cup soon. Stop complaining and be thankful.

Get on your knees. Thank him.

I think we can trust him
No, he didn’t. I actually like him more than Drury, but he was a major part of one move that gave us a quick rebuild, the Zibanejad trade. He had little to do with Panarin, Trouba, and Fox. They all wanted to play for the Rangers. All he did was not screw that up. Shestyorkin was picked while he was part of the organization, but AGM, not even the GM. Hard to say he was the big impetus for that.

He did some good things and some bad things. I don’t think he was bad, but he didn’t gift wrap us a quick rebuild.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
5 goals and 10 points in 31 Liiga games. Betting on his physical tools is fine, but there is no way to spin that other than utterly eye-popping for a top-3 pick, much less the first overall selection.
I think NHL scouts and GMs like the fact that he "steps up" in big moments. The Olympics, Worlds and he was better in the Liiga playoffs than in the regular season.

Reactions: heksagon

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree. I’m okay with the idea of taking big swings, but I think there’s a limit. 1OA for a guy who didn’t put up points? Way too risky. I would go with the safer option.

Reactions: Dominance

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I agree. I’m okay with the idea of taking big swings, but I think there’s a limit. 1OA for a guy who didn’t put up points? Way too risky. I would go with the safer option.
Well, Slaf did score only 4 points in his first 20 Liiga games. Better production after that, but still not "great".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad