LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
There are a couple of those posters who I won't name who have left to the Seattle board to become Kraken fans. The majority of their posts since the draft are on the Kraken board. I checked their post histories and they were legit Habs fans before. One basically saying he can't cheer for the Habs anymore because they didn't draft Wright. f***ing pathetic lol. The other repeatedly calling Shane Wright a 100 point player, trashing the Habs org and calling them stupid for not drafting him, and is now circlejerking with all the Kraken fans over Wright on the Kraken board. Made me laugh so hard, wtf lol.
who?

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
There are a couple of those posters who I won't name who have left to the Seattle board to become Kraken fans. The majority of their posts since the draft are on the Kraken board. I checked their post histories and they were legit Habs fans before. One basically saying he can't cheer for the Habs anymore because they didn't draft Wright. f***ing pathetic lol. The other repeatedly calling Shane Wright a 100 point player, trashing the Habs org and calling them stupid for not drafting him, and is now circlejerking with all the Kraken fans over Wright on the Kraken board. Made me laugh so hard, wtf lol.

Good, either life teaches them a lesson about how your jugement can be flawed and you shouldn't be that confident about the unknown; or if they're right, they get to watch their new boy every night on a new fresh expansion team. They're following their words, I respect that, they're being true.

Last edited:

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
That is kinda pathetic that you took the time to check post histories for this…

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Guys forget about stats. The reason why Habs took Slaf over Wright and everyone else is his personality and character.
He is funny, confident but still polite kid. After the Olympics MVP he became like national hero here in Slovakia. A lot of media, ladies attention and he handled it perfectly. Kept focused on hockey and his life.
To understand his character, you need to look at his game log this year. It was absolutely insane.
In August, U18 Hlinka Gretzky cup and 2nd place for Slovakia (we always ended up 8th as the weakest team). Later in the month, he switched to mens team for Olympic qualification. Went back to Finland finally to his team TPS. Obviously, missing the whole pre-season did not help his position in the team. Started slowly and again moved to U20 WJC late December. Had one month again in TPS and moved to Olympics in February. Scoring 7G in 7 games and winning bronze and MVP. After the Olympics he finally had some stable time in Finland playing rest of the season in 2 line. His stats improved and helped his team to the finals. In the end, very good tournament at World Champs 9p in 9 GP. Somewhere in between he played also 11 games for TPS junior team. Plus this kid lives on his own since 15 in foreign country. No parents or billet family.
Think about it, in such hectic schedule he had some struggles, but he always responded well. Honestly, he had very limited time improve his skills. So, keep him in one place (NHL or AHL) give him some stability and good coaches and he will be great.
Now compare this with Wright who thinks he deserves to be NO1. You don't deserve anything in NHL, you have to fight for it every day, every game, every shift.
There is a good side and a bad side to this logic. On one hand, that sense of poise could help Slaf survive in the Montreal pressure cooker. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that the Habs lost a good player because he wasn't polite or deferential enough.

Reactions: Wats

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Wanting to connect with people with interests similar to yours isn't pathetic, it's fundamentally human. Thinking it's pathetic is pathetic.
Lmao ok. You clearly just have an ax to grind with me. How about just move on instead.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Montreal I think took a great player at number 1....Wright was the safer pick but Slafkovsky with his skating, hands and size do not come around every day, this guy has a way higher ceiling than Wright......I was thinking they should have went safer route and i still think Wright has a lot of upside left in him...both are amazing prospects...really couldnt go wrong.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I am a fan of Shane Wright, I think he was an incredibly hard pass for the first overall but didn’t fit into Montreal’s plans moving forward with Suzuki likely becoming 1c and captain.

I do think Wright has potential for 100 points in NHL. Circlejerking though? Come on I like Shane it’s not a problem but for some reason it is for you. Get over it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Montreal I think took a great player at number 1....Wright was the safer pick but Slafkovsky with his skating, hands and size do not come around every day, this guy has a way higher ceiling than Wright......I was thinking they should have went safer route and i still think Wright has a lot of upside left in him...both are amazing prospects...really couldnt go wrong.

FWIW not everyone is convinced that it is Wright the safe guy vs Slafkovsky the upside guy. Wright has some higher end tools but more red flags. He played awfully soft this year with little energy and that has to make you wonder how he'll respond to facing grown men. We already know that Slafkovsky can handle (and manhandle) grown men, he's safer in that respect. Some of his tools, particular his shot, just aren't at Wright's level though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
FWIW not everyone is convinced that it is Wright the safe guy vs Slafkovsky the upside guy. Wright has some higher end tools but more red flags. He played awfully soft this year with little energy and that has to make you wonder how he'll respond to facing grown men. We already know that Slafkovsky can handle (and manhandle) grown men, he's safer in that respect. Some of his tools, particular his shot, just aren't at Wright's level though.
Biggest question mark with Wright is if he can fix that compete level. Because if he does, he could turn into a high end 2C, very valuable player. But if not, he honestly good have a hard time sticking in the league in any capacity, whereas I think Slafkovsky is no worse than a 3rd line winger.

Wright this year kind of reminded me of how Bobby Ryan looked in Owen Sound. Obvious talent but just remarkably unengaged and soft for a bigger player.

Ryan eventually matured out of that and became a very good player in his (shorter) prime, but it took him 2 extra years in junior and then ~1.5 seasons riding the bus in the AHL (and even then it was sometimes an issue for him). I could see that sort of path working out for Wright, though he's a better skater than Ryan was so that may accelerate the timeline.

Meanwhile, I think there are still a lot of technical things that Slafkovsky will need to figure out to become a legit top 6 winger, but these are things that can he fairly easily developed. So it's kind of a strange setup where Wright probably has less obstacles to becoming a top 6 player, but that major obstacle is something that is sometimes not that fixable (and is notorious for tanking the careers of highly touted prospects in the past).

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Biggest question mark with Wright is if he can fix that compete level. Because if he does, he could turn into a high end 2C, very valuable player. But if not, he honestly good have a hard time sticking in the league in any capacity, whereas I think Slafkovsky is no worse than a 3rd line winger.

Wright this year kind of reminded me of how Bobby Ryan looked in Owen Sound. Obvious talent but just remarkably unengaged and soft for a bigger player.

Ryan eventually matured out of that and became a very good player in his (shorter) prime, but it took him 2 extra years in junior and then ~1.5 seasons riding the bus in the AHL (and even then it was sometimes an issue for him). I could see that sort of path working out for Wright, though he's a better skater than Ryan was so that may accelerate the timeline.

Meanwhile, I think there are still a lot of technical things that Slafkovsky will need to figure out to become a legit top 6 winger, but these are things that can he fairly easily developed. So it's kind of a strange setup where Wright probably has less obstacles to becoming a top 6 player, but that major obstacle is something that is sometimes not that fixable (and is notorious for tanking the careers of highly touted prospects in the past).

Compete level is something that is one of the easier things to fix if the person is willing to improve though.

You can't teach deception or high end skill as easily.

It will be interesting case study in the future to see how these two develop.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Yeah but that can sometimes be a big if.

True. One Alexis Lafrenière comes to mind from NYR. He was a guy with similar type of attitude on his draft year where I am still not sure if he works at elite NHL level(at least relative to the level where he was drafted for).

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Safe is by far the most overused word on this site or in prospect analysis in general. Especially given the fact these guys are drafted at 17/18. Outside of truly elite prospects, no prospects are safe in the sense they are guaranteed to provide long-term value at the NHL level (excluding possibilities of injuries). If Wright's safeness is say at worst he ends up Dylan Strome (which is even optimistic on a tail-end low for any prospect), what value long-term does that really provide? Luke Schenn was safe, and sure he's had a long career but has never provided much value (I know a very different player than Wright).

A prospect who is safe vs say a higher upside in the draft might be Tavares vs Hedman, as given his history the chance of Tavares not producing at the NHL level would have been extremely low, even if he had to be moved to the wing. Whereas Hedman had such ridiculous raw tools combined with good play, but came with more risk (part of that is position based, D are always more high-risk). Noah Hanifin was supposed to be the safe choice between Marner/Strome. Laf was supposed to be the safe option to Stutzle and Byfield's upside.

To be honest, Slaf is likely safer due to the fact even if he never develops offensively, he's likely a guy who can drive play on a 3rd line, while playing an all out game. The closest draft comparable to this might actually be RNH vs Landeskog (another prospect analytic models would have hated, as a late birthday who didn't break out until his 18 year old season). Neither are franchise players in the sense of, they aren't going to be the best player on a contending team, but Landeskog was just a very key component on a cup winning team he was the captain of.

Last edited:

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Jurco's draft year production

I think people put too much emphasis into stats, this is not CHL where you play your peers and the stats show how good you are. This is Liiga where you get to use some of your strengths or maybe none and you just have to manage until you get stronger and faster to find that time and space.

Here's some background into how Juraj's had to manage:

In 2020-2021 he was playing 2nd line minutes in their U20 team, he was not the guy even on that team. He came through those ranks in a single year and secured a spot on the mens team.

2021-2022 he then looked good early in camp and exhibitions to secure a spot on the mens team and got a third line role at Liiga level which he mostly carried the entire year.

TPS as a team and Liiga

TPS was playing the lowest scoring games of all Liiga teams for the first half of the season, they were 1st in the league and had the lowest goals for out of all the teams. IIRC they had a GAA of just above 1. This is when Jurco played the majority of his games there. He was good, just nothing happening offensively for the team. They just found ways to win by being dynamite defensively.

He has had to break through in TPS which has had these forward prospects sign their entry level deals in the last two years in Pärssinen (NSH), Nurmi (NSH), Pyyhtiä (CBJ), Pajuniemi (NYR), Kakko (NYR). Then there's still all the veterans and other prospects to compete with for ice time.

It becomes easier to see how competitive the team and the league actually is at the top. Competition should not excuse you for not producing when you get your chance and that's maybe where Jurco got unlucky. His linemates were quite ineffective. He would set up scoring chances and his linemates just could not finish. While other times he would gain the line and hang on to the puck to give his linemates time to join the attack or get open but they just could not get it done. This is where the clutching style of Liiga really shows its ugly rear side. It really makes it easier to single out the best players if you don't have to worry about the other two.

On Slafkovsky

Slafkovsky will wrestle your opponents enforcer to the ice and in his post game interview he will smile like the happiest kid in the world saying how the opponent wanted to fight so he "showed him where is Slovakia". Not saying it actually happened, it is just a legend. Right?

This coming from TPS fan in me. Juraj impressed me in that he actually made the team. He quite often executed his small area plays around the net that were NHL level. His shot was good, not exceptional however. The best thing i hope he took with him from this TPS team was the leave everything on the ice mentality, the team was young and not the most skilled but they just always battled. It feels like that was the thing he had in common with the Slovakian national team too.

His teammates described him once as the giant baby: he is still childish to them as they're 20 something but very kind and just happy.

He is brave in every sense of the word.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
True. One Alexis Lafrenière comes to mind from NYR. He was a guy with similar type of attitude on his draft year where I am still not sure if he works at elite NHL level(at least relative to the level where he was drafted for).
That is ridiculous.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Laf had way, way, way more hype.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
That is ridiculous.
Agreed Lafreniere was a much better prospect at the same age, and is now finally trending toward at least being a serviceable NHLer (3rd liner) and not a complete bust like he was the last couple years. If Laf continues to improve, he may well end up a top-6 player after all. Wright is a complete unknown with too many question marks and red flags. I think he busts, personally.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Laf had way, way, way more hype.
Laf's hype got way out of control. Even Bob said in his draft write up "Lafreniere is not viewed as a generational talent like Connor McDavid or necessarily labelled a franchise player, but there’s no doubting what he is." But, you had a ton of people throwing around best prospect since McDavid, etc.

Reactions: d rake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad