Post-Game Talk: Losing sucks but we’re still tied 1-1

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sure, and I think both of our views on this are reasonable, and I don't know the entirety of what went down in some other series or the response etc but in the Vancouver series you had Zadorov coming to the Oilers bench between any whistle and stirring because he could. Its the standard thing in hockey. When some player is being allowed to skate by your bench everytime and shit talk and say they're just gonna continue beating you silly and theres no reply to that. Well we see what happens.

With Zadorov its that he so blatantly displayed that and that the Oilers had no real response to that in roster. Thats on the Oilers, jmo.

In the case of Marchant specifically once a weasel you can't cry about being weasled. Live by the sword all that. Reality is play like that and you have it coming. Thats not Karma, its just being your turn. Nobody would feel sorry for Marchant and nobody does.
I’m just not sure what the Oilers are supposed to do about it. Keep in mind, Hyman already cross checked him in the face leading to stitches, that 100% could have hurt us if the NHL’s random wheel of Justice had decided to look at it and punish.

Then in Game 7, I think Kane really took it to him legally. A huge hit on the end boards and another play where Kane stole the puck from Z and got a dangerous rush chance on net, while Z looked like a clown falling trying to keep up.

Game 7 Kane, is an example of us responding to Z in a way that doesn’t hurt the team. Anything above and beyond that could have really hurt us in a Tight 7 game series, and would have given Z the exact response he was trying to get out of us, no?

We avoided being baited by his antics and beat him where it really counts, the Win Column.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Companion post. For a laugh, not the only time I'll mention it but I was watching a film classic, Marcello Mastroianni film "Come as you are" (no double entendre on my part, thats the title. Was watching this film with the beautiful Nastassja Kinski, daugther of the most famous German actor Klaus Kinski, and in German this acting family is huge, unparalleled and it immediately struck me that Celeste Desjardins evokes this classic actress from Germany who Leon and family would be well aware of.

To wit Kinski: (What a beauty, as is Celeste) Note the similar look.

Tmi for a hockey board but we can often be unconsciously attracted to visions of beauty based on our exposures to it. Thus beauty being in the eyes of the beholder.

Now its even possible Celeste Desjardins patterned her look after Nastassja or some other similar film beauties. Roman Polanski was also infamous for his attraction to similar look starlets as well and adored Nastassja.

Yeah way too much but somebody might like this. just an aside from hockey.

View attachment 875993

Oilers will need some of this mojo next game:

6LdvpDk.gif

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Love the movie. Aguirre the Wrath of god by Werner Herzog.

That dad would be worse than Al Bundy though. Gut you and throw you in the Amazon for even looking at his daughter. ;)

Great movie. Kinski was a unique actor (an understatement perhaps). He also knocked it out of the park in Nosferatu. Big fan of Herzog in general though (also quite the character)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid is such an enigma right now. Just watching his first shift of game 2, he flies into the Stars zone and tries to go cross ice to Hyman but it gets easily intercepted. But then on the turnover, he flies back and lays a beauty back check on Duchene to disrupt a scoring chance, then belts Tanev by the Oilers bench on his way off. There’s no timidness in his game and he’s skating like an animal.

2nd shift, wins the face off, then slingshots himself with speed into stars zone to start a cycle. Which eventually McDavid turns it over again with a mistimed pass attempt to the blue line that gets intercepted. Again, he’s flying out there but just not executing his passes.

I’m reminded of a game I watched that Gretzky called his best or most perfect game. Every pass connected. Every anticipation of the play correct. Every shot well placed. A complete game of perfect hockey. But if a perfect Wayne game existed it of course means that even Wayne had his off nights too in contrast. I’m guessing this just means McD had an off night. Maybe the pressure is getting to him. IMO, A mindset reset for Game 3 should be in order, he’s not playing with his god given instincts if he’s making those bad passes. He needs to play “free-er”

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
People that couldn't see that he was hurt in the regular season seem surprised that when the games get more physical that he would be somehow playing better. He hasn't been shooting or stickhandling worth a damn compared to his typical standards all season long. His skating hasn't been as good either. He's doing the best that he physically can, anyone that thinks otherwise hasn't watched enough of him over the years.

I’m not saying he isn’t playing hurt or it’s a complete shock, I’ve been on record saying this has been one of his worst seasons (from the eye test) I’ve personally seen from him.

He’s way too passive BUT it’s the decision making that’s just worrisome. He constantly tries to still force passes that aren’t there, he doesn’t shoot when he has the open net or lanes to do so and just constant decision making that doesn’t help us.

If you’re injured, you learn to play off of it and still make yourself effective. Drai was on one leg last year and was still our best player in the playoffs.

Injuries happen this time of year and he was healthy enough to play all season through it - if he was injured severely or it was that much of a concern, he would’ve and should’ve sat.

Need him to find another gear and take over for this teams sake

Reactions: Kerberos

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Friedman saying the refs aren't going budge in terms of reffing. Dallas has apparently earned the respect of the refs for being the least penalized team in the regular season lol... it'll be just like how we played the Avs, Knights, now Stars.
There would be more penalties called if Dallas had a better power play than the Oilers.

They don't, so...

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The top ten leading scorers in the playoffs are all from Florida and Edmonton, save for one Ranger. That would be an exciting series to watch.

Dallas, by far the best defensive team left in the playoffs, has their D-man Heiskanen as their leading scorer with 14 points in 15 games played. Trocheck and Zibanejab are the Rangers only PPG players.

We could see a really good defensive Stanley Cup final, a really good offensive one, or something in between. Time will tell.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Oilers are 3W in last 5 games in Dallas. They have 5 Wins in last 9 games there. Considering what Dallas are, generally as a competitive side the Oilers don't have any particular problem winning there.

Again if you draw on long ago data sets or in Chiarelli bombed out era Oilers clubs then the Oilers had trouble basically everywhere. Last few seasons it hasn't been difficult in Dallas.

Sorry if I'm just too much a word person and narrowing in on semantics. Dallas arena has primarily been tough for Dallas in this playoffs. heh. Its been mostly good fortune for other clubs.

Heres something to consider that maybe gets a point across in different way. Dallas are 9-6-1 in playoffs thus far. A full 5 of those losses occurring at home. Oddly, its been the prime spot to beat the Dallas Stars. I expected no less than a spilt in Dallas. had to have at least that.
GM 3 tonight is a big game. We could be up 2-0, but we accomplished a split. Very happy with that. If Henrique is in tonight, does McLeod come out and the lines are juggled a bit?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Imagine a playoff game where Connor Brown is the only Oiler who scored and tell me it's not a terrible result.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Imagine a playoff game where Connor Brown is the only Oiler who scored and tell me it's not a terrible result.
I actually think Brown has been playing good. He doesnt have to come out. For me, the odd man out is McLeod

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I’m not saying he isn’t playing hurt or it’s a complete shock, I’ve been on record saying this has been one of his worst seasons (from the eye test) I’ve personally seen from him.

He’s way too passive BUT it’s the decision making that’s just worrisome. He constantly tries to still force passes that aren’t there, he doesn’t shoot when he has the open net or lanes to do so and just constant decision making that doesn’t help us.

If you’re injured, you learn to play off of it and still make yourself effective. Drai was on one leg last year and was still our best player in the playoffs.

Injuries happen this time of year and he was healthy enough to play all season through it - if he was injured severely or it was that much of a concern, he would’ve and should’ve sat.

Need him to find another gear and take over for this teams sake
This depends on the nature and extent of the injury or injuries, something we're not privy to and can only speculate on.

I agree he has looked worse than we've probably seen him before, but he has definitely learned to "play off of it" as you put it.

He can't shoot and his goalscoring was slashed in half, but he instead found a way to put up 100 assists.

He doesn’t look right, but pinning it on the player seems harsh.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Friedman saying the refs aren't going budge in terms of reffing. Dallas has apparently earned the respect of the refs for being the least penalized team in the regular season lol... it'll be just like how we played the Avs, Knights, now Stars.
That right there is what’s wrong with the league. “We don’t respect you so we’re not calling that. Or that. Or that.”

There’s another word for that: favouritism.

I think it’s time to start hiring some European officials.

Reactions: McHelpus and TB12

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Where's the Seguin fine? Thought they were cracking down on diving?

Chin touched, goes down like he's shot, spends the next minute trying to convince the ref there is a cut hidden in his beard. Clown show.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Ryan needs to sit. Guy can't win a draw, or a puck battle 5on5. Love him, he gives it his all, but he's not an every day nhler right now

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Of course we’re not. Fans aren’t dumb and see trash officiating in this League, year in year out, so trash it confuses and perplexes lifelong fans, coaches, and even players. But you got it right, you’re the reasonable one, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with reffing in this league, they are perfect humans, no biases, no mistakes.
I repost what I put in the SC threads, but they missed a pretty obvious elbow to Stankhoven in game 2. It didn't look intentional, and it didn't affect play, so I can see why playoff refs would let it go.

From all the moaning, I guess some Oil fans would have preferred the refs call Stank for "being too short" or the even rarer "Impersonating a Pinata" call. Just a joke, and a reference to the Hatcher days, when our announcers often lamented that he got high hit and elbowing calls because he was "too tall."

Again, just joking, and you are right that all fan bases complain about the calls that don't go their way. But the Stars kept playing, didn't even look at the ref with that WTF gesture, much like they kept playing through a controversial non-goal against the Avs. I'm saying how you handle bad calls (Mac and Makar were complaining the whole series) can make for a champion.

In the third period, I saw a Stars and Avs player talking with the ref about something during a TV timeout. I don't know what was said, but both players laughed and smiled most of the time in that.

Lastly, I have by chance sat by an NHL ref on a long plane flight. Very open and honest about some of the bad calls they have witnessed or made. If you want to be sympathetic to refs, there is an old book out called "Tough Calls" which has more of the same honesty on their most regretted calls. In the end, they all say they have to rely on believing they saw what they think they saw, drawing on their years of experience.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I like your point about the first period. I thought we lost the game there by not taking advantage of how dominating we were over them. I hope your right about Ott and fatigue
Otter fatigue bothers Stars fans as well. They purposely kept his games down this year due to him obviously wearing out in the PO's last year. He got some rest when we beat the Avs in 6 and got more rest, but he could wear down as the PO's go on. Of course, so could an over played MacD......

Although Jake let one in during the barrage of shots in the first, the shot chart and my eye test at the game said he made a lot of great in tight saves that period as well.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm not implying that Brown sucks. I'm saying that the whole team needs to step up.
I missed 1st period the other night. Daughters fastball tournament. By shot indication, we outplayed them. Looks like we let off the gas pedal 1/2 way thru 2nd.
Im hoping they come out like a bunch of caged gorillas tonight. I would imagine it will be a madhouse in there tonight

I do not think Mcleod comes out. I think ya'll are crazy tbh

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Where's the Seguin fine? Thought they were cracking down on diving?

Chin touched, goes down like he's shot, spends the next minute trying to convince the ref there is a cut hidden in his beard. Clown show.
The non response from the league tells you all you need to know about their position on embellishment.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I see lots of these posts wherein its mostly what the Oilers did or didn't do. have we really become that Calgary Flames or Vancouver Nucks type fanbase that refuses to ever acknowledge anything the opponent did?

The Oilers had almost twice the shot attempts. Dallas are extremely good at shot blocking, shot deflection, stripping pucks etc.

A player like Jamie Benn rose up again and had a goal, assist, several hits and was the best player in the game. But people despise the player so can't acknowledge that or anything that took place in the game.

The Oilers were going to the net plenty and continued to try, Its not a free pass to get there.

Why does every game with fans have to be this quantum swing from "Dallas are nothing we will sweep them and run them out" to "Why aren't the Oilers doing this, if only they were doing this"

Having that disposition towards games against good opponents is guaranteeing not appreciating the same. That the games are hard against quality opponents is what makes the level of play wonderful.

I wouldn't call my post a quantum swing. I think that's an unfair exaggeration. The Oilers lost their chance to win the game in the first period. They failed due to some nice play from the Dallas Goalie and some poor finishing execution on their part in the first period. After that Dallas had an edge but not much.. until they scored.

I'd say the only thing I'll take away that may be a bit concerning is how Edmonton could not hold a lead in the first game while Dallas was BULLET PROOF after getting that second goal last game. Hopefully it's not a trend this series. So far they've each had 1 chance.. Edmonton failed.. Dallas passed with FLYING colors. we didn't get a sniff. One game and Edmonton was likely gassed. Not going to lose sleep over it but I'll be watching for it.

Heck the only real disastrous thing they did all game was that abomination of a pulled goalie change.

Would be nice to score some California tips for once though. We've eaten 1 a game from Dallas so far this series.

Game 1: Off Nurse Skate to a wide open Seguin
Game 2: Mason Marchment tip. Some tips are skill and some are blind luck. this one was blind luck imo.

Perhaps after writing this all out my frustration lies with the Oilers rarely scoring such goals. At least the ratio to scoring vs being scored on seems to always favor the opposition these playoffs. It's like we have to score beauties while watching the other team shoot flukers in like crazy haha.

Heck that may be the problem with the 3rd line? they try to score like the first 2 lines.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad