Post-Game Talk: Losing sucks but we’re still tied 1-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The Oilers are due to break out offensively on 3/3/1 7 goals in the last 3 games they need a big game on the score sheet to get Dallas doubting themselves

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
They played such a good 1st period with nothing to show for it. From there it just felt like that lost opportunity was going to bite them in the ass and it did.

Credit Oettinger for making some saves. But equally to blame are the Oiler forwards for making a complete mess of their scoring chances in that period. Too many good chances leading to easy saves imo.

The Oilers are playing good. They're just not yet going to the hard areas with the intention to score again. It's a vicious cycle with this team.

The winning goal is a great example. What I believe I heard on the Cult of hockey podcast as the California Roller or something to that effect. shot from far.. player in lane deflects.. finds a way in.
Edmonton doesn't score these... because we don't shoot.

Team definitely may be gassed as their play went downhill a bit as the game went on.

Sucks McDavid is a shell of himself physically. He looks slow (for him) and absolutely unable to shoot the puck. Credit to him for finding ways to impact the game still because he must be hurting something fierce.

I think they can take this Dallas team. Bear the f*** down on your scoring chances. Stop shitting your pants and blindly shooting it. Get the puck of quick and with a purpose. That would be my coaching advice haha.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
What do you suggest the Oilers do to overcome this? Would making this a physical series force dallas to change how they play? If we go back to last year against Vegas, we almost had them broken until Nurse retaliated.

Yeah, I think this would help for sure. Dallas is not a physical team at all, so dragging them into the fight might be required. Best case is they take some penalties, worst case is you physically hurt an older, smaller team.

The NHL is such a joke, its the only league in the entire world where there are 2 rulebooks: one for the regular season, and one for the postseason. Could you imagine the NFL changing the way it calls "roughing the passer" penalties in the playoffs? Or pass interference? Of course not, because that would be bush league. But the NHL is almost PROUD of the fact they do this. It's beyond ridiculous.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The NHL is such a joke, its the only league in the entire world where there are 2 rulebooks: one for the regular season, and one for the postseason. Could you imagine the NFL changing the way it calls "roughing the passer" penalties in the playoffs? Or pass interference? Of course not, because that would be bush league. But the NHL is almost PROUD of the fact they do this. It's beyond ridiculous.

07C4E64E-810E-4C82-B748-C2B41D6825A5.gif

Reactions: brentashton

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Why a missed opportunity, were they ripe for the picking? They were missing Hintz I guess. Dallas is a good team, this will be a tough series. I'd be overjoyed if we had won both in Dallas but I didn't expect that outcome. I think the Oilers threw everything they had at them in the first and then faded as the game wore on. I still believe the Oilers will win the series but fully expect it to take 6 or 7 games.
They had a chance to go up 2 zip returning home. The game was there for the taking.

Good teams that become great teams tend not to pass up such opportunities very often and like I wrote, is part of the learning curve. It is one of the benchmarks of becoming a great team versus being a good team. The league is filled with good teams and I believe most of us want the Oilers to be a great team.

Of course Dallas is a good team and I never wrote anything different in that regard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, I think this would help for sure. Dallas is not a physical team at all, so dragging them into the fight might be required. Best case is they take some penalties, worst case is you physically hurt an older, smaller team.

100%
I have been saying that very thing for a few years now.
Its the only Professional League that does this.
The only one.
NHL Reffing in the playoffs is the great equalizer...it diminishes the elite star talent and elevates the lesser talent.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Could you imagine a league that deflates footballs at the bequest of one team, denies that they did that for years and refuse to acknowledge something proved. Can you imagine a league that fixes games and has several ex players attest that the NFL fixes games..

The NFL is the poorest example of all. The reality is none of these leagues are ultimately deserving of our attention if the basis is integrity.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They played such a good 1st period with nothing to show for it. From there it just felt like that lost opportunity was going to bite them in the ass and it did.

Credit Oettinger for making some saves. But equally to blame are the Oiler forwards for making a complete mess of their scoring chances in that period. Too many good chances leading to easy saves imo.

The Oilers are playing good. They're just not yet going to the hard areas with the intention to score again. It's a vicious cycle with this team.

The winning goal is a great example. What I believe I heard on the Cult of hockey podcast as the California Roller or something to that effect. shot from far.. player in lane deflects.. finds a way in.

Team definitely may be gassed as their play went downhill a bit as the game went on.

Sucks McDavid is a shell of himself physically. He looks slow (for him) and absolutely unable to shoot the puck. Credit to him for finding ways to impact the game still because he must be hurting something fierce.

I think they can take this Dallas team. Bear the f*** down on your scoring chances. Stop shitting your pants and blindly shooting it. Get the puck of quick and with a purpose. That would be my coaching advice haha.
I see lots of these posts wherein its mostly what the Oilers did or didn't do. have we really become that Calgary Flames or Vancouver Nucks type fanbase that refuses to ever acknowledge anything the opponent did?

The Oilers had almost twice the shot attempts. Dallas are extremely good at shot blocking, shot deflection, stripping pucks etc.

A player like Jamie Benn rose up again and had a goal, assist, several hits and was the best player in the game. But people despise the player so can't acknowledge that or anything that took place in the game.

The Oilers were going to the net plenty and continued to try, Its not a free pass to get there.

Why does every game with fans have to be this quantum swing from "Dallas are nothing we will sweep them and run them out" to "Why aren't the Oilers doing this, if only they were doing this"

Having that disposition towards games against good opponents is guaranteeing not appreciating the same. That the games are hard against quality opponents is what makes the level of play wonderful.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004

Could you imagine the NBA letting depth guys just club Doncic/Jokic/Lebron over and over again until they are beat up and unable to dominate games by the 3rd round?

NHL on the other hand has adopted the philosophy that you can slash and cross check McDavid and Draisaitl to death because they can't call them all and "decide the games." Dallas has actually been clean but the Canucks were incredibly dirty and it has taken a toll.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Could you imagine the NBA letting depth guys just club Doncic/Jokic/Lebron over and over again until they are beat up and unable to dominate games by the 3rd round?

NHL on the other hand has adopted the philosophy that you can slash and cross check McDavid and Draisaitl to death because they can't call them all and "decide the games." Dallas has actually been clean but the Canucks were incredibly dirty and it has taken a toll.
The NBA allows star players to travel, double dribble etc so much its almost impossible to watch and not notice how even the basic rules of basketball are altered to make magic happen, excuse pun. Next if somebody sneezes on a star player its free throws.

I'll take hockey thanks.

I get the frustration with the damage McDrai receive but NHL was never any different than this. It used to be worse. In the 50's 60's if you didn't like facing a player down the wing you just took his head off with a vicious swing and put him in the hospital. With this having taken place in hockey, in the NHL many times. this targeting of players with physical abuse is not a new thing. its not new either for it to occur before or after games as it did with McD.

Its a little off with these NHL is shit, all these other leagues are better type posts. Maybe they could be contained in one thread somewhere.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Could you imagine a league that deflates footballs at the bequest of one team, denies that they did that for years and refuse to acknowledge something proved. Can you imagine a league that fixes games and has several ex players attest that the NFL fixes games..

The NFL is the poorest example of all. The reality is none of these leagues are ultimately deserving of our attention if the basis is integrity.

I wasn't talking about the other aspects of that league, I was referring to the officiating. But if you want to use another league, sure go ahead, you can literally use any other pro league, and likely many non-pro leagues, as the NHL is the only one that completely throws out its regular season rule book, and adopts an entirely different set of rules for the postseason.

The NBA allows star players to travel, double dribble etc so much its almost impossible to watch and not notice how even the basic rules of basketball are altered to make magic happen, excuse pun. Next if somebody sneezes on a star player its free throws.

I'll take hockey thanks.

I get the frustration with the damage McDrai receive but NHL was never any different than this. It used to be worse. In the 50's 60's if you didn't like facing a player down the wing you just took his head off with a vicious swing and put him in the hospital. With this having taken place in hockey, in the NHL many times. this targeting of players with physical abuse is not a new thing. its not new either for it to occur before or after games as it did with McD.

Its a little off with these NHL is shit, all these other leagues are better type posts. Maybe they could be contained in one thread somewhere.

So your counter is "well yeah, its terrible now, but it was even MORE terrible in the past!". Really?

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Friedman saying the refs aren't going budge in terms of reffing. Dallas has apparently earned the respect of the refs for being the least penalized team in the regular season lol... it'll be just like how we played the Avs, Knights, now Stars.
Makes one question, what’s the point of having them? I wonder how long the NHL can keep on this path before the betting houses say enough is enough when betting traffic on NHL games drops through the floor.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I wasn't talking about the other aspects of that league, I was referring to the officiating. But if you want to use another league, sure go ahead, you can literally use any other pro league, and likely many non-pro leagues, as the NHL is the only one that completely throws out its regular season rule book, and adopts an entirely different set of rules for the postseason.
Well for one I get a bit tired of the all these other leagues are better stuff occupying this, or NHL boards. Sure the league has its problems, every league does. If people want to follow other leagues or feel that they are better free to do that. Every pro sport league in North America has jumped the shark in some ways and lessened the legitimacy and integrity of results. With gambling leading the way.

But heres an idea. At the height of the grandeur of SC playoffs could we have a little less shitting about how horrible it is. lol. We're all here after all so we accept it on some level.

Makes one question, what’s the point of having them? I wonder how long the NHL can keep on this path before the betting houses say enough is enough when betting traffic on NHL games drops through the floor.
Betting is increasing in leaps and bounds. In all pro sports. It ain't slowing down and never seems to.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
NHL is a joke league. Our entire year and McD’s chance at his true legacy could have been thrown out in a play that happened after the game ended. Let’s not forget how close we were to this all ending.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

So your counter is "well yeah, its terrible now, but it was even MORE terrible in the past!". Really?
Not sure why thats surprising. The NHL is what it is. It hasn't changed appreciably. Always been about the Benjamins. Pro sports is about that. Expecting it to be better is nice and fine. but people keep supporting pro sports unconditionally and so that they will remain as is.

Never said terrible or anything like that. If I thought it was all terrible I'd start watching Tennis or Golf. I acknowledge the inherent violence in hockey. Its a bloodsport.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
NHL is a joke league. Our entire year and McD’s chance at his true legacy could have been thrown out in a play that happened after the game ended. Let’s not forget how close we were to this all ending.

Sure. Ridiculous thing to occur. But again a known in NHL for as long as any of have watched. Which is why for instance Dave Semenko played a lot on Gretz wing the first years in the league. Gretz wouldn't be on ice without him and clear why he was there.

Teams would also make sure to park somebody a shift or two when they knew shit would break out or at last whistles when they often have.

Teams still go out and recruit heavies that can play and important to have them in the lineup.

The NHL won't have your back and its why teams have taken player safety on their own behalf ironically hiring thugs like Zadorov. The 80's Oilers always had enforcers. Decades later we had em. The Nucks specifically went out and got guys like this and the Oilers didn't match that at TDL. Which they probably should've.

Get rid of newly found pacifist Nurse and his bloated contract at first opportunity and replace with somebody that will be solid on D, look out for team mates and go all the extra miles.

Its no accident Nucks got bigger when they obtained Zadorov. its no accident either that some kind of assault like this was going to occur. Nucks have done all this before.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sure. Ridiculous thing to occur. But again a known in NHL for as long as any of have watched. Which is why for instance Dave Semenko played a lot on Gretz wing the first years in the league. Gretz wouldn't be on ice without him and clear why he was there.

Teams would also make sure to park somebody a shift or two when they knew shit would break out or at last whistles when they often have.

Teams still go out and recruit heavies that can play and important to have them in the lineup.

The NHL won't have your back and its why teams have taken player safety on their own behalf ironically hiring thugs like Zadorov. The 80's Oilers always had enforcers. Decades later we had em. The Nucks specifically went out and got guys like this and the Oilers didn't match that at TDL. Which they probably should've.

Get rid of newly found pacifist Nurse and his bloated contract at first opportunity and replace with somebody that will be solid on D, look out for team mates and go all the extra miles.

Its no accident Nucks got bigger when they obtained Zadorov. its no accident either that some kind of assault like this was going to occur. Nucks have done all this before.
Yes. I know the enforcement nature of the League, as it was in the past.

But the League has transitioned from
“Policing ourselves” to what we have today. Enforcers not allowed to do their job cause the penalties and suspensions cost the team more than any protective or preventive benefits they could provide.

There’s really nothing an enforcer today could do if a Trouba just decided he wanted to chicken wing elbow Leon in the skull to take him out of an entire series. Zero enforcement and common sense punishment of dirty plays has lead to this joke of a League.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yes. I know the enforcement nature of the League, as it was in the past.

But the League has transitioned from
“Policing ourselves” to what we have today. Enforcers not allowed to do their job cause the penalties and suspensions cost the team more than any protective or preventive benefits they could provide.

There’s really nothing an enforcer today could do if a Trouba just decided he wanted to chicken wing elbow Leon in the skull to take him out of an entire series. Zero enforcement and common sense punishment of dirty plays has lead to this joke of a League.
Well, not really. Zadorov wasn't suspended and there seemed to be little if any consideration of that. he was fined. Soucy got one game, big deal, for the possibility of taking out the star player in hockey.

In imperfect conditions, and we know the NHL is, you mitigate as an org to provide safety to your investments and especially if you are an org containing the two superstars of the game, Leon, and Connor.

Further a lot of teams will have heavies, to prevent shit as a system of detent. Basically sending the message that we have heat seeking missiles if you want to play at that game. The Oilers presently don't have any.

We have Kane, injured, can't fight. We have Desharnais that acts tough but would probably get beat up by RNH, we have Nurse who in his mind is worth too much to even throw. Who do we got?

Carrick? lol he isn't even a good fighter. The team is so bereft of fighters or toughs we've had Janmark fighting and we had Pulju and Kostin fighting last year and got rid of them anyway.

Zads was running around so much in the series because the Oilers with their lineup offered him licence to do so. This too has been in hockey hubris forever. If you have those guys on the bench it deters shit from even happening. The Oilers should have some of that quantity on the bench, obviously, and they don't.

The basic premise of hockey and roster mitigation is that if you have X player Trouba won't do shit. Been the case for as long as I've watched. The best enforcers in the history of hockey seldom even had to fight. Maybe a few times. Some being so effective at it nobody would dare.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well, not really. Zadorov wasn't suspended and there seemed to be little if any consideration of that. he was fined. Soucy got one game, big deal, for the possibility of taking out the star player in hockey.

In imperfect conditions, and we know the NHL is, you mitigate as an org to provide safety to your investments and especially if you are an org containing the two superstars of the game, Leon, and Connor.

Further a lot of teams will have heavies, to prevent shit as a system of detent. Basically sending the message that we have heat seeking missiles if you want to play at that game. The Oilers presently don't have any.

We have Kane, injured, can't fight. We have Desharnais that acts tough but would probably get beat up by RNH, we have Nurse who in his mind is worth too much to even throw. Who do we got?

Carrick? lol he isn't even a good fighter. The team is so bereft of fighters or toughs we've had Janmark fighting and we had Pulju and Kostin fighting last year and got rid of them anyway.

Zads was running around so much in the series because the Oilers with their lineup offered him licence to do so. This too has been in hockey hubris forever. If you have those guys on the bench it deters shit from even happening. The Oilers should have some of that quantity on the bench, obviously, and they don't.

The basic premise of hockey and roster mitigation is that if you have X player Trouba won't do shit.
Right. So the League who has taken on the responsibility of policing the league, and taken it away from the enforcers is a joke. Cause their enforcement and punishment of dirty plays is a joke. We are in agreement here.

But on the subject of enforcers. There’s a reason we don’t have any. The game has evolved where strict enforcers can’t even play the game. You don’t want the Kassians or Lucics on your team anymore cause they suck at hockey. Maybe you get really really lucky like a prime and healthy Kane that can play and do the job.

But even still, Kane being ready and willing to fight isn’t going to stop a guy like Trouba from taking out a star to win a series. They’ll either take some punches to the face from Kane or just run away all series, leading Kane to chase and just hurt his team with penalties attempting revenge.

In these playoffs alone, Bennet was allowed to punch out the Bruins emotional leader and captain in Marchand. Trouba has gotten away with two attempts at elbowing guys completely out of the series. Did none of those teams have the necessary enforcers to stop it too? Or does that player type just not exist anymore, and even if they did there’s very little they could have done to prevent it.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

The reluctance to shoot by our big guns is what is costing us. McDavid 1 shot, Draisaitl 2 shots, Hyman 2 shots, RNH 0 shots- the last game. Unacceptable. They are all trying to be pretty and pass it in. Draisaitl atleast set up 2 point blank chances by Holloway and Kane. McDavid is losing every puck he touches. They need to just shoot. Who cares about the quality of shot- just put it on net.

Reactions: Duke74

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008

Their DJ said that during the year he’s played other teams winning songs after Stars wins, and had no idea on the history of our song. He apologized and said he wouldn’t play it again. All good.

I know it was an accident and the guy apologized and all good.

But if you were wondering, here it is from the post-game show on 630 CHED while Jack Michaels and Bob Stauffer were talking. They didn't make any mention of it as far as I can tell.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Next imperative is winning game 3. Would be a big mistake to trail in series. If we should get game 3 then Game 4 will be everything.
This times 1000. As has been noted Dallas has won both games 3/4 on the road in both series. Oilers need to break that streak and can’t leave it to game 4. This game is their moment, doesn’t mean they can’t win if they lose it but the odds go way way down in my opinion based in what Dallas has done so far.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think last night was very typical of today's NHL.

-not a lot of pretty goals and really how many beautiful plays have we seen all playoffs? A handful--, the OT winner in game #1 by MC-D was something you want to see on the replay. So much of the rest of it involves deflections or bad bounces. A lot of cycling the puck until someone makes a mistake and this is where a team like Dallas excels.

-players are huge and are all experts with their sticks. Open ice is rare. The passing lanes are never open for more than a split second. Check, check, check once you go up by a goal--the Kings and Stars are both like that. Lots of shot blockers in today's NHL too. I don't think that Lafleur (as one example from the past) ever blocked a shot in his career but man was he fun to watch. Really liked to party too--well known over all the Montreal disco circuit and really loved his bourbon. He never did a pushup or sit up in his life.

-Anyway, enough nostalgia, I don't think there is all that much to pick amongst the remaining four teams in the playoffs. A few outstanding thoroughbreds and a lot of plow horses who are tough and hard working but not much fun to watch. I think this series comes down to lucky bounces and the odd giveaway but this is where Otter is better than Skinner. He's more likely to bail out his team despite the fact that Stu has played really well in the last 3 games.

Oilers will win on adrenalin come Monday evening. Puck luck is incoming.

This is a great post.

Honestly, I'm thrilled that the Oilers are battling in the WCF with a shot at the Cup (who here isn't?)

But, the game at it's "peak" has become incredibly boring. Very few 'exciting' games deep in the playoffs anymore. I guess the Rangers - Panthers one today was, sort of (mostly due to Bob being a sieve though). I'm all for defensive mastery but clogged up, disjointed play makes for boring hockey. This was probably the most boring game they played all playoffs.

Higher scoring regular season and a stifling playoffs will leave many "new" fans feeling 'cheated', which will make it tougher for the league to hold onto a fickle casual fanbase.

Reactions: TB12 and Sra1974

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Right. So the League who has taken on the responsibility of policing the league, and taken it away from the enforcers is a joke. Cause their enforcement and punishment of dirty plays is a joke. We are in agreement here.

But on the subject of enforcers. There’s a reason we don’t have any. The game has evolved where strict enforcers can’t even play the game. You don’t want the Kassians or Lucics on your team anymore cause they suck at hockey. Maybe you get really really lucky like a prime and healthy Kane that can play and do the job.

But even still, Kane being ready and willing to fight isn’t going to stop a guy like Trouba from taking out a star to win a series. They’ll either take some punches to the face from Kane or just run away all series, leading Kane to chase and just hurt his team with penalties attempting revenge.

In these playoffs alone, Bennet was allowed to punch out the Bruins emotional leader and captain in Marchand. Trouba has gotten away with two attempts at elbowing guys completely out of the series. Did none of those teams have the necessary enforcers to stop it too? Or does that player type just not exist anymore, and even if they did there’s very little they could have done to prevent it.
Sure, and I think both of our views on this are reasonable, and I don't know the entirety of what went down in some other series or the response etc but in the Vancouver series you had Zadorov coming to the Oilers bench between any whistle and stirring because he could. Its the standard thing in hockey. When some player is being allowed to skate by your bench everytime and shit talk and say they're just gonna continue beating you silly and theres no reply to that. Well we see what happens.

With Zadorov its that he so blatantly displayed that and that the Oilers had no real response to that in roster. Thats on the Oilers, jmo.

In the case of Marchant specifically once a weasel you can't cry about being weasled. Live by the sword all that. Reality is play like that and you have it coming. Thats not Karma, its just being your turn. Nobody would feel sorry for Marchant and nobody does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad