Post-Game Talk: Losing sucks but we’re still tied 1-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Kane is playing far too perimeter for my liking. He isn’t in Ott’s face and taking shots from the outside. Has his drive to the net completely left his game?

Also- Vinny is looking tired and or slow. He seems to be a step behind and doesn’t have that reserve tank to take that extra step to get in the way. Rishaug said Stetcher isn’t even with the team. What a great use of a 4th round pick.

I think Stetcher is sick so maybe they kept him in Edmonton so he doesn’t infect the team?

Re-Kane I thought after the 1st other than the 4th line and Holloway the entire team lacked net drive tbh. Kane was inside in the 1st for 2 great chances. But yeah like most of the rest they got too placid and didn’t punch pucks towards the blue paint.

Re-Vinny. Agree. He is showing he’s a bottom pair playing too high up the batting order against top competition night in and night out. Nurse and Ceci are severely letting the team down on the back end forcing this deployment. Ken welded the boat anchor on unfortunately.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They’re all in little SNL style skits and most can be watched on YT. Don’t need the full episodes ;).

One of my favorite skits is “I said Bitch”…all us married guys can relate to that one. :laugh:

There’s another one how two buddies are texting each other, one guy (Jordan Peele) is all cool in his responses but his buddy (Keegan) is taking them all out of context. It’s a gem.
Thanks man. I'm in my own little bubble here sometimes reading books. haha. Cultural influences just tend to escape me. This getting elevated when retired an no longer connected to offices or lunch room talk.

I'm so out of touch I had to get into the "Peep Show" to know that Mitchell and Webb existed. heh Are we the baddies?;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks man. I'm in my own little bubble here sometimes reading books. haha. Cultural influences just tend to escape me. This getting elevated when retired an no longer connected to offices or lunch room talk.

I'm so out of touch I had to get into the "Peep Show" to know that Mitchell and Webb existed. heh Are we the baddies?;)

Are we the baddies is a classic.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I think Stetcher is sick so maybe they kept him in Edmonton so he doesn’t infect the team?

Re-Kane I thought after the 1st other than the 4th line and Holloway the entire team lacked net drive tbh. Kane was inside in the 1st for 2 great chances. But yeah like most of the rest they got too placid and didn’t punch pucks towards the blue paint.

Re-Vinny. Agree. He is showing he’s a bottom pair playing too high up the batting order against top competition night in and night out. Nurse and Ceci are severely letting the team down on the back end forcing this deployment. Ken welded the boat anchor on unfortunately.
It’s almost like we badly needed a top 4 d at the deadline…sigh

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Dallas actually play a lot of chaos game. A constant in their play under Deboer is looking to strip pucks, looking for quick reverse passes, trying consstantly to get counter breaks. They get a lot of TKA but its also risky as due to their set jumps they often only have 2 back. When the jumps work Dallas get odd man rushes, when they don't work they give up one. This is not the LA 1-3-1 type strategy at all. Dallas are aggressive to puck carriers.

Oilers have some trouble setting up and making plays as time and space limited. But due to the Dallas aggressive pursuit sometimes somebody gets left open in own zone. Oilers have done a good job overall negating the Dallas counters but the ice at home makes it more difficult for Dallas to get the counters as well.

Its a much different Dallas style of play generally than it was a few years ago.
They play a structured collapsing style. Every defensive team like that plays the counterattack.

Poke, dump, shoot. Throw it on net. Works well on that ice. Oilers needed to do more of it in Game 2.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They play a structured collapsing style. Every defensive team like that plays the counterattack.

Poke, dump, shoot. Throw it on net. Works well on that ice. Oilers needed to do more of it in Game 2.
Disagree. Rather than collapse Dallas will often cheat forwards up to create turnover in NZ or around their line. This including jump guy. Look for it. One forward will make contact with puck carrier, one will jump, and another guy in area to try to help get puck north. They do it so many times. Its actually costing them because the Oilers really somehow prepared well for it.

Dallas do better in their counter and transition schemes on the road, and the Oilers play better offensively at home so will be interesting two game set in Edmonton. Faster and better ice and more entertaining. Although the series has been good thus far.

Last edited:

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Anyone notice that the “flip the puck up high to land in the neutral zone to hopefully make the defense make a mistake” play is happening more?

Feels like it happens a lot in all the game I’ve
seen in the playoffs.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I thought McD was flying and the Oilers were in first period. But after that had less zip. They weren't breaking contain any more and even Tanev was able to keep up, lol

I think it was a mixture of Oilers fatigue (we had less rest than Dallas coming into series) and Dallas upping the play because they were down in series.

I wonder how many injuries we find out about later. McD has a couple, so does Drai. Hyman too.

Its playoffs and high pain thresholds.
Looking at the shot totals, McDavid, Drai, and Hopkins had 3 shots combined. 1 from McDavid, 2 from Draisaitl. So even though McDavid looked like he was flying- he was generating nothing- not for himself or his linemates. The shot totals in the first were either from the bottom 6 or dmen- that’s what Dallas wants.

I’ve been a staunch defender of McLeod on here because of his defence and skating. Yesterday he skated by Tanev who fell skating backwards with the puck. McLeod made zero attempt to take advantage of that. On the game winner- he moved out of the shooting lane instead of trying to front the shot. Neither of these plays require him to be physical- they just require him to be competitive. He can’t do that and is not scoring- he has a net negative impact on the game.

VD looks tired out there. He can’t handle 2nd pairing mins every second game. Stetcher isn’t even with the team. I have no idea what the solution there is.

If I’m KK- I’m considering putting Perry back in with Henrique. If the Oilers aren’t going to be physical, atleast they can tire the dmen cycling down low. I wouldn’t mind Janmark with them. You can’t have a third line with 0s across the board in the playoffs- especially if 97/29 aren’t getting quality looks. Brown has more points than the whole 3rd line combined and he didnt even play in the first round

Oilers by game 2 would be fatigued. Lets remember we went 7 games with Van while Dallas were resting for 5-6 days. By third period we had trouble matching intensity and were losing the puck battles and chases.
That’s how playoffs are. It’s whoever can get every ounce of gas in their tank and even some are the ones that wins. Hasn’t changed since Stanley Cup was introduced

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Anyone notice that the “flip the puck up high to land in the neutral zone to hopefully make the defense make a mistake” play is happening more?

seen in the playoffs.
Yes. Nashville played this the most. In fact most of the Preds breakout was foregoing transition passes and just going long and sending a jump player forward to chase the puck hoping to get to it or create 50/50.

The benefit of this simplified play is it reduces turnovers in critical areas that can hurt you. The cost is you keep giving the puck back doing that.

Also the dump with backspin or draw weight is being made into an artform these playoffs. Dumped well enough not to be icing.

But the pucks are also going higher, into the backdrop of the house lights making it very hard for defenders to see where puck is. For sure this has been a tactic more employed recently. It used to be used but like one of those things that comes and goes.

Myself I prefer teams flipping puck high vs no look bangs off boards.

Reactions: Ibanez

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Agreed on all points. Some clarity on Stetcher- Rishaug said he hasn’t been practicing or skating with the main group for a while. He followed up by saying Broberg has been skating a lot and practicing with the team. Imagine pinning your all-in year with Vinny in your top 4.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers didn't play a bad game, they were great in the first but Dallas adjusted and got better as the game went on.

Yes they blocked a lot of shooting lanes but I was disappointed in the lack of shots off odd man rushes. They had at least 2 in the third where they generated nothing and it was a bit annoying to see them fall back into old habits. Still a lot of series to go but it definitely felt like a missed opportunity.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Looking at the shot totals, McDavid, Drai, and Hopkins had 3 shots combined. 1 from McDavid, 2 from Draisaitl. So even though McDavid looked like he was flying- he was generating nothing- not for himself or his linemates. The shot totals in the first were either from the bottom 6 or dmen- that’s what Dallas wants.

I’ve been a staunch defender of McLeod on here because of his defence and skating. Yesterday he skated by Tanev who fell skating backwards with the puck. McLeod made zero attempt to take advantage of that. On the game winner- he moved out of the shooting lane instead of trying to front the shot. Neither of these plays require him to be physical- they just require him to be competitive. He can’t do that and is not scoring- he has a net negative impact on the game.

VD looks tired out there. He can’t handle 2nd pairing mins every second game. Stetcher isn’t even with the team. I have no idea what the solution there is.

If I’m KK- I’m considering putting Perry back in with Henrique. If the Oilers aren’t going to be physical, atleast they can tire the dmen cycling down low. I wouldn’t mind Janmark with them. You can’t have a third line with 0s across the board in the playoffs- especially if 97/29 aren’t getting quality looks. Brown has more points than the whole 3rd line combined and he didnt even play in the first round

That’s how playoffs are. It’s whoever can get every ounce of gas in their tank and even some are the ones that wins. Hasn’t changed since Stanley Cup was introduced
Yep. But its a shame how long it took to eliminate Vancouver. Should have taken place in 5 games. If Skinner had played in that series how he's playing now it would have gone quicker. We basically carried the Nucks to 7 games. They had hardly anybody going. If the resultant fatigue from that series plays further into this one thats really unfortunate.

Was good that we closed LA in 5 games. Thats progress over previous postseasons.

Reactions: foshizzle

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Disagree. Rather than collapse Dallas will often cheat forwards up to create turnover in NZ or around their line. This including jump guy. Look for it. One forward will make contact with puck carrier, one will jump, and another guy in area to try to help get puck north. They do it so many times. Its actually costing them because the Oilers really somehow prepared well for it.

Dallas do better in their counter and transition schemes on the road, and the Oilers play better offensively at home so will be interesting two game set in Edmonton. Faster and better ice and more entertaining. Although the series has been good thus far.
They are still "Waiting". Still playing a form of the trap at home.

They take their chances with NZ lock (as you said) and then collapse when the Oilers make the zone. It's pretty standard stuff. Their excellent goalie allows them to play this style.

They do not play an aggressive attacking/forechecking style at home. Not sure why you equate "not just standing there" as being not a structured defensive game. They dont need to be completely passive. Most times they have five players infront of their net.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They are still "Waiting". Still playing a form of the trap at home.

They take their chances with NZ lock (as you said) and then collapse when the Oilers make the zone. It's pretty standard stuff. Their excellent goalie allows them to play this style.

They do not play an aggressive attacking/forechecking style at home. Not sure why you equate "not just standing there" as being not a structured defensive game. They dont need to be completely passive. Most times they have five players infront of their net.
We're probably just splitting hairs in the convo. Several times at home Dallas will be too agressive trying to push forward. It cost them in first period giving up a lot of plays where there were then oddman Oilers breaks. We didn't punish with that and not just due to OTT but Dallas D, particularly Heiskanen just being all world. Dallas were too much into the jump, and had forwards caught several times on what were even not great % plays. I think they made some adjustments on that.

Contrast what Dallas do which is sent only one forward and commit back all the time. Dallas are sending 2, sometimes 3 forwards and committing. Its a dangerous risk/reward game and definitely pushing that envelope more.

Vancouver played a different game where they would cheat 3-4 players to puck zones and trying to seal. Thats a different ploy. All these teams have variations in pressure schemes.

Still wondering why Dallas has Pavelski on PP and shoot the puck in. Its also mysterious why they don't just use Heiskanen ala the Bobby Orr zone entry. Especially with Hintz out. They're basically negating their PP and our pk is already deadly good.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

seen in the playoffs.

That's Dallas MO though against the Oilers. I think it was Bowness? [one of the panel peeps] that kept mentioning it. Flip it high, hopefully catch opp Dmen off guard and attack after NZ recovery. It also frustrates attacking players too,

I know McDrai love to carry through neutral but sometimes, we should do simple shit like that when we have leads.

Then again, I look at our back end and realistically only Bouch and Ekholm can do anything with the puck. The other 4 only have 1.5 moves-off the wall and if that Dman is feeling excited, an icing

• Haha
Reactions: nabob and Ibanez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Paramount is akin to the NHL in the states. Very few people care or want to pay for it :)

Teehee
Yeah. I'm a non consumer. The dividing of content providers is just extreme now and designed to separate money from one's pocket. Used to be in the US for instance one got everything with just CBS, NBC, and ABC, and then later PBS. You got all that on basic cable and all the programs were in that envelope. That would cost 25bucks. Now they want 10X as much and to be having every subcription in order to see programs. My response is FAST, excuse pun.

• Haha
Reactions: Ibanez

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Also please for the love of God stop with the buttonhooks in the offensive zone. Slowing down the game is exactly what Dallas wants.
This drives me absolutely nuts. The buttonhooks allows all the opposition back to block shooting lanes. McDavid also needs to take a page out of Mackinnon’s book and just come down the ice and shoot it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Knob should call himself out for that pathetic goalie pull.
Not sure when the right time to pull him would have been. These guys were incapable of getting any possession of the puck in the Dallas zone after the first period, especially in the third period. That said though, with 2:05 still remaining, that was forced and probably the absolute worst time.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Also please for the love of God stop with the buttonhooks in the offensive zone. Slowing down the game is exactly what Dallas wants.

This drives me absolutely nuts. The buttonhooks allows all the opposition back to block shooting lanes. McDavid also needs to take a page out of Mackinnon’s book and just come down the ice and shoot it.

Draisaitl is particularly guilty of this. I would love to see him just drive the net and shoot. It's not like he's a small guy or anything.

Reactions: foshizzle

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, LaBamba would practically be the State Anthem. Maybe it is. ;) Its a great tune from a great artist.

Maybe we could play the Alamo theme.

Could you imagine playing the Flyers again in the final and, with AI, have Kate Smith sing Oh Canada at Rogers.
OOOO that might provoke a reaction from Broad Street!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad