OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017

Well… whether we like it or not, they’re clearly going for it. They better be right, because if they’re not, this is going to be a loooooooong rebuild

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Well… whether we like it or not, they’re clearly going for it. They better be right, because if they’re not, this is going to be a loooooooong rebuild

Ladies and gentlemen, the impossible has happened. Your eyes do not deceive you.

That's the ultimate gamble to retaining Ohtani. Give him a taste of the playoffs and showing the Angels are going over the luxury tax could be positive signs of retaining Ohtani. I dunno, I still would say too little too late and Arte should have been going over the luxury tax for years, especially since Moreno continues to interfere on who goes onto the roster.

LFG, Halos!

major-league-team.gif

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Heres to hoping it works and also hoping they arent done. Trade away your #2 and #3 prospects, you better hope it works out.

Im just afraid, like HD pointed out, too little, too late.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
This absolutely does feel like Arte saying, this is my last year anyway... I'm just gonna go for it, and leave it to the next guy to deal with the fallout.

Hope they at least make the playoffs, and/or re-sign Ohtani so that there's something to show for it.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
This team is pretty screwed because of the Trout issue. I know its blasphemous to say but he is signed for an awful long time and he gets hurt every year. He also now has trouble hitting the high fastball. Ohtani should run as soon as he can because the combination of a terrible farm system and some guys not even close to earning their bloated contracts is well, not good.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This team is pretty screwed because of the Trout issue. I know its blasphemous to say but he is signed for an awful long time and he gets hurt every year. He also now has trouble hitting the high fastball. Ohtani should run as soon as he can because the combination of a terrible farm system and some guys not even close to earning their bloated contracts is well, not good.
Trout turns 32 this year and he's only gonna break down more often with that back problem that he wad diagnosed with a few years ago. He was once projected to be in the 600+ HR club back in 2019 and now he probably ends up with 450 or so when his career is done.

Last time he played 140+ games was in 2016.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Just another typical Moreno "billboard" move. As someone that's been an Angels fan for 30+ years, this dude announcing intentions to sell the team in the offseason was one of the happiest days of my fandom, followed by the darkness of his "teehee just kidding" announcement.

The Angels have around a 15% chance by most projections to even MAKE the playoffs even after this move. The AL is deeper than it's ever been. This is a trade you make to solidify your post-season roster for a deep playoff run, not a hail mary desperation move to even get there. Especially for a SP that only takes the ball every fifth day (or sixth in our rotation).

Knowing the Angels, here is the series of events that will occur:
-The team will fall off over the next month due to their brutal schedule and thin roster​
-They'll be 8+ games back of the WC by late August​
-Trout, Rendon, Drury, and O'Hoppe will all be back just as we're too far gone to compete​
-Ohtani & Gio sign with actual competent franchises​
-We again have a middling roster in 2024 not good enough to compete but not bad enough to actually rebuild, alongside a bloated payroll and the perpetual worst farm system in baseball​

This franchise is permanent groundhog day until Moreno is gone.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
The Angels again show a short sighted approach to winning. Perhaps they will make the playoffs this year, perhaps not. But by trading prospects and not trading Ohtoni the Angels are sacrificing their long term future. But next year, with Ohtoni gone and the team cratered the crowds will shrink and the team will drop in the standings. Another horrible decision by the owner for the long term good of the team. But, perhaps as others have said, Arte is planning to sell after this year so why does he care?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
The smart move would have been to trade both Ohtani and Trout, along with anyone else for legit prospects. Then invest heavily in scouting and development. I don't see a happy ending with this... Angels will not make the playoffs and even if that 1% miracle happened, they would get swept in the 1st round and Ohtani will leave for contender and the farm will continue to be the worst in the league.

I really wished Orange County had better sports organizations. We only breed underdogs and losers.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
This move isnt bad, but it should have happened much earlier. Our pitching is the #1 reason we are where we are in the standings. We've needed help for quite a while and yet its gone ignored.

And I dont think Arte is selling next year. Why would he shutdown the sale of the team only to flip it in another year? If anything I would have expected him to use that as leverage to up the bids.

Id still be looking to add another arm to the bullpen.

Reactions: cheesymc

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The smart move would have been to trade both Ohtani and Trout, along with anyone else for legit prospects. Then invest heavily in scouting and development. I don't see a happy ending with this... Angels will not make the playoffs and even if that 1% miracle happened, they would get swept in the 1st round and Ohtani will leave for contender and the farm will continue to be the worst in the league.

I really wished Orange County had better sports organizations. We only breed underdogs and losers.
Its funny how in hindsight Disney were the best owners the Angels ever had lol. Disney left the running of the team alone to the pros and didn't meddle. If they still owned the team they'd be able to afford going way way over the luxury tax.

Reactions: cheesymc

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Angels are 4 games back from a playoff spot.

• Angels current rankings
    • Runs scored: 7th/30 teams (507 runs)
    • Runs allowed: 21st/30 teams (488 runs)
    • Run Diff: +19

Improving the pitching is a very good move to increase the chances of making the playoffs.

GM Minisian has low keyed improved the MLB talent. SS Neto, C O'Hoppe, and CF Moniak are here as well as 25 years old or younger. Also, drafting college players means they'll be making their way to the MLB far sooner than later such as Neto.

The Angels not trading Ohtani and going over the luxury tax, would imply that Moreno is willing to go over the luxury tax to retain Ohtani and his potential $500 mil + contract.

This is a magnanimous gamble in trying to retain Ohtani's services, who just pitched a full game shutout with only 1 hit against Detroit this morning (for us on Pacific time). It has been 8 seasons since the Angels have seen the playoffs. It has been 7 seasons since the Angels have finished above .500. I haven't been excited for the Angels for that long.

Ohtani: Tell me, "Show me the Playoffs!"
Minisian and Moreno: "Show me the playoffs."
Ohtani: No, say it like you mean it.
Minisian and Moreno: "Show me the playoffs."
Ohtani: Oh... I think I'm planning on leaving.
Minisian and Moreno: "Show me the Playoffffffs!"

jerry-maguire-show-me-the-money.gif

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Angels adding more bats for depth. This is on top of adding the pitchers we traded for recently. We, hopefully, are reducing our RA's and increasing more Runs.

Here we go!

It's another smart move. Too many injuries and once everyone is back, solid depth. Neto and Drury being back in the next week or so will really help. Trout and O'Hoppe not too long either. Should be a fun push at minimum.

Oct 18, 2011
I don't fault them for this if they weren't going to trade Ohtani. They're f***ed if he leaves anyways so might as well take a shot at it and show him you are trying to win, plus you got Trout, Neto, O'Hoppe and Drury coming back for the stretch run

It's not a bad roster top to bottom if healthy that long losing streak before the break just really hurt them

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
The # of injuries the past month has been crazy for the Angels. I don't blame the Angels' GM for making these moves. While I may disagree with who he went after, they are MLB caliber players. Can't be giving unheralded career minor leaguers significant at-bats this late in the season, if the team is fighting for a playoff spot.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Perfectly fine with this as long as Arte actually sells if they don’t sign Ohtani.

We are absolutely f***ed for life if Ohtani walks and Arte hangs onto the team

I don't fault them for this if they weren't going to trade Ohtani. They're f***ed if he leaves anyways so might as well take a shot at it and show him you are trying to win, plus you got Trout, Neto, O'Hoppe and Drury coming back for the stretch run

It's not a bad roster top to bottom if healthy that long losing streak before the break just really hurt them
Not a bad roster at all but they have about a 12% chance at playoffs right now. Going all in on that is pretty crazy but I do agree that they kind of have to

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Perfectly fine with this as long as Arte actually sells if they don’t sign Ohtani.

We are absolutely f***ed for life if Ohtani walks and Arte hangs onto the team

Not a bad roster at all but they have about a 12% chance at playoffs right now. Going all in on that is pretty crazy but I do agree that they kind of have to

If Ohtani doesn't re-sign, then the team goes back under the luxury tax threshold. Trout is still around and people will still come out to see Trout. I think Moreno is indifferent if we keep Ohtani, tbh. He just sees the dollar signs. Ohtani will bring in more money through endorsements and such like Pujol's $250 mil, 10-year contract netted a $3 billion, 20-year tv contract. Arte already won b/c of that TV deal.

As for going for it, Texas lost their ace (deGrom) and, recently, lost a couple of their offensive hitters. They're now 3-7 in the last 10 games with a 3-game losing streak. The past few series, the Astros have lost series to the Angels, Mariners, and Rays, but wins against less talented A's and injury riddled Rangers.

The AL West is wide open due to injuries to Texas and Houston looking vulnerable. Angels are 5 games behind Texas and two months to make up that ground. We're above .500 and looking to race to the playoffs. I still can't believe we're talking potential playoffs this late into the season!

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
All these moves feel too late in the season if we wanna be playing baseball past October 1st. Especially given that this next quarter involves playing teams better than us.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
All these moves feel too late in the season if we wanna be playing baseball past October 1st. Especially given that this next quarter involves playing teams better than us.
Yeah they are rolling the dice hard and need some luck to go their way the next 2 weeks to stay in the mix.

They have been burned by the injury bug bad. They’re likely in a playoff spot right now if not for the worst luck ever with hitters getting injured

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad