OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If Ohtani doesn't re-sign, then the team goes back under the luxury tax threshold. Trout is still around and people will still come out to see Trout. I think Moreno is indifferent if we keep Ohtani, tbh. He just sees the dollar signs. Ohtani will bring in more money through endorsements and such like Pujol's $250 mil, 10-year contract netted a $3 billion, 20-year tv contract. Arte already won b/c of that TV deal.

As for going for it, Texas lost their ace (deGrom) and, recently, lost a couple of their offensive hitters. They're now 3-7 in the last 10 games with a 3-game losing streak. The past few series, the Astros have lost series to the Angels, Mariners, and Rays, but wins against less talented A's and injury riddled Rangers.

The AL West is wide open due to injuries to Texas and Houston looking vulnerable. Angels are 5 games behind Texas and two months to make up that ground. We're above .500 and looking to race to the playoffs. I still can't believe we're talking potential playoffs this late into the season!
Making up 4-5 games in the span of 2 months is very unlikely historically. Being generous I will give them a 15% chance. Not impossible and it does happen. But the odds are firmly stacked against them

Like I've said, they really don't have a different choice since theyre keeping Ohtani. They have to do go for it. But it would be a helluva lot nicer if they were 1 GB instead of 4 GB right now

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Giolito immediate regression with the worst pitching coach in the history of the Earth? I’m SHOCKED!!!

Watching this series is painful though. Even if Ohtani re-signs here, we are eons away from the elite teams in the sport. Perry has so much work still to do and given who his owner is, not a ton of resources to do it with

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It doesn't even make sense for Ohtani to sign here, or for the Angels to sign him for that matter, unless there's some sort of understanding that Arte is willing to go over the luxury tax threshold, at least for the next 2-3 years. Either that, or there has to be knowledge that he's selling in the next year or two.

Otherwise, what's the point in Ohtani signing for market value or slightly under, if after doing so, the team won't be able to fill in the roster with anything better than veteran scrubs. The team shouldn't want that, and neither should Ohtani. While there is a lot of cheap pitching coming up in the next few seasons, the position player prospects are basically nil other than a couple guys. So it's not like they can just play a bunch of stud minimum salary guys and stay competitive.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Giolito immediate regression with the worst pitching coach in the history of the Earth? I’m SHOCKED!!!

Watching this series is painful though. Even if Ohtani re-signs here, we are eons away from the elite teams in the sport. Perry has so much work still to do and given who his owner is, not a ton of resources to do it with
Matt Wise's advice during mound visits: "Throw it down the middle, let's see what happens"

• Haha
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Adding insult to injury, here is the standing on July 30, 2023 for the AL West:

July 30, 2023 standings AL West.png

Here's today's AL Wild Card standings as of this morning:

Aug 24, 2023 Wild Card Standings.png

The Angels went all in and the Mariners essentially didn't do much, as in buy or sell. There was a glimmer of hope, but it's all snuffed out for the Angels.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
This is just.... the banner year of awful years. Not only did we bet our meager farm system we bet our future with shotime trying to sniff the playoffs and its going to collapse.

This is past Moreno selling the team now. This is a previously unknown depth of hell. It's been hard being an angel fan but i don't know how much more worse season after worse season I have in me

Reactions: DuckRogers10

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Much like I am with the Lakers ( I won't start watching and cheering for them until LeFraud is gone), I think I am pulling away from the Angels until Arte sells the team.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is just.... the banner year of awful years. Not only did we bet our meager farm system we bet our future with shotime trying to sniff the playoffs and its going to collapse.

This is past Moreno selling the team now. This is a previously unknown depth of hell. It's been hard being an angel fan but i don't know how much more worse season after worse season I have in me

The Angels did get younger.

C O'Hoppe is 23 years old.
1B Schanuel is 21 years old.
CF/RF Moniak is 25 years old.

SP Detmers is 24 yrs old.
SP Silseth is 23 years old.
RP Soriano is 24 years old.

But, yeah, we missed a huge opportunity for an overhaul by trading Ohtani.

At the time of all of those trades, the gamble was to win in order to make Ohtani want to stay in Anaheim. I love that process, tbh. Either be 100% in or 100% out of it, as long as we're 100% behind it. It's unfortunate that the trades didn't pan out.

I do like what Minisian's been doing in his short while here. Reminds me a bit of Dipoto, but not much on the same level. Except Dipoto actually bit the bullet and went into a full rebuild with Seattle, which is what we should have done with Ohtani.

I'm an Angels fan, but Dipoto won me over when he was here. I have kept track of the Mariners since Dipoto became their GM. I gotta say that at the TDL, I thought Dipoto left their team on an island because they didn't signal they were buyers or sellers. He traded off their best relief pitcher for the near future (next year and beyond). They needed a lot more MLB hitting and it felt like Dipoto played it safe. Welp, the team started to actually hit this season to go along with their top end pitching. Julio, Teoscar, Moore, and two of the guys from the relief pitcher trade have chimed in better than their DFA's ss Kolten Wong.

I also look at teams managed by Bruce Bochy. When Bochy started off his managerial career in low-A, I watched him and he was successful. Been keeping track of him since. I wanted him to be our new manager for this past season too! ::: grumble, grumble :::

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The Angels did get younger.

C O'Hoppe is 23 years old.
1B Schanuel is 21 years old.
CF/RF Moniak is 25 years old.

SP Detmers is 24 yrs old.
SP Silseth is 23 years old.
RP Soriano is 24 years old.

But, yeah, we missed a huge opportunity for an overhaul by trading Ohtani.

At the time of all of those trades, the gamble was to win in order to make Ohtani want to stay in Anaheim. I love that process, tbh. Either be 100% in or 100% out of it, as long as we're 100% behind it. It's unfortunate that the trades didn't pan out.

I do like what Minisian's been doing in his short while here. Reminds me a bit of Dipoto, but not much on the same level. Except Dipoto actually bit the bullet and went into a full rebuild with Seattle, which is what we should have done with Ohtani.

I'm an Angels fan, but Dipoto won me over when he was here. I have kept track of the Mariners since Dipoto became their GM. I gotta say that at the TDL, I thought Dipoto left their team on an island because they didn't signal they were buyers or sellers. He traded off their best relief pitcher for the near future (next year and beyond). They needed a lot more MLB hitting and it felt like Dipoto played it safe. Welp, the team started to actually hit this season to go along with their top end pitching. Julio, Teoscar, Moore, and two of the guys from the relief pitcher trade have chimed in better than their DFA's ss Kolten Wong.

I also look at teams managed by Bruce Bochy. When Bochy started off his managerial career in low-A, I watched him and he was successful. Been keeping track of him since. I wanted him to be our new manager for this past season too! ::: grumble, grumble :::
Moreno made a terrible decision when he chose Scoiscia over DiPoto in their power struggle. I also like Minasian and am pretty sure it wasn’t his decision to hold on to Ohtani to make a bit more money before he walks.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Moreno made a terrible decision when he chose Scoiscia over DiPoto in their power struggle. I also like Minasian and am pretty sure it wasn’t his decision to hold on to Ohtani to make a bit more money before he walks.

Yeah, keeping Ohtani is Moreno's decision. Yet another instance of non-baseball people making baseball decisions.

Moreno buttercupped us when he said he was selling the team and then reneged. I still feel ashamed for our org with how terrible our minor league setup has been. All that money Moreno's generated, especially with that $3 billion TV deal, and we couldn't upgrade our whole system all the while he didn't make us go over the luxury tax. There's just so much wrong with Moreno owning the Angels, and to think he started off great too!

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
This is an organization in complete shambles, perhaps the worst in professional sports. Well done Arte

f*** that guy

Seriously name a worse organization right now
Blackhawks cause of all the shit they were covering up? Maybe not now since it appears they made some changes but yeah the Angels may be at the top of the list now. F Arte.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Speaking of Arte... the unmentioned hilarious (to me anyway, YMMV) part of yesterday was CJ Wilson absolutely BURYING him in a Twitter thread. Dude, just go away, take your $3 billion from the sale and leave us alone forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Oct 18, 2011
Looks like Dipoto realized this was a 3rd rate operation...look at the job he's done in seattle...could've been us if he were allowed to do his job

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Looks like Dipoto realized this was a 3rd rate operation...look at the job he's done in seattle...could've been us if he were allowed to do his job

I called this out years ago, but some on here didn't believe me about Dipoto. It's all quiet on the western front now.

The last time we were .500 was with Dipoto in 2015. The last time we were in the playoffs was with Dippoto in 2014.

Under Dipoto, we were a .500 or better club in three out of his four years with the team. That included Moreno meddling a lot with FA signings of 1B Pujols (lost a 2012 first round pick) and OF Hamilton (lost a 2013 first round pick). That latter signing prevented the Angels from extending ace pitcher Greinke, whom Dipoto traded away a lot to avoid losing a first round pick if signed as a FA (we lost all star SS Segura in the trade).

Dipoto favors pitching over hitting, while Moreno is the exact opposite. Dipoto has traded many positional players to secure young pitchers with Anaheim since Moreno kept taking away first round picks and signing FA sluggers. With the Mariners, he's been collecting 1st round pitchers (Gilbert, Kirby, and Hancock) and secured veteran aces (Ray and Castillo). The Angels passed up on Kirby for SS Will Wilson, whom we packaged in a trade for a cap dump. The Mariners are one of the best pitching staffs this year and last year.

Moreno chose himself instead of Dipoto by sticking behind Scioscia. Moreno wants to be in charge and have the final say.

indiana-jones-he-chose-poorly.gif

Since Dipoto's departure from the Angels org and becoming the Mariners' GM in 2016, the Mariners have been over .500 five times (including this year) and went to the playoffs last year. They are vying for a playoff spot this year as they currently hold a wild card spot, but also are now one game behind Texas for the AL West division lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad