OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Someone alert Homeland security. Angles have 2 bonafide terrorist aboard their team. I hope everyone that goes to home opener in left field boos the living daylights out of poup. If only i could suck so bad at my job while collecting millions of dollars.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Someone alert Homeland security. Angles have 2 bonafide terrorist aboard their team. I hope everyone that goes to home opener in left field boos the living daylights out of poup. If only i could suck so bad at my job while collecting millions of dollars.

It's not Loup's fault that the Angels signed him like it's not Leason's fault Verbeek picked him off of the waiver wire. Angels needed to spend more money to get better players, but we have an owner that won't help out his superstars by going over the cap. For the past five seasons, the Angels have had two superstars in Trout and Ohtani with nothing to show for it.

I just hope this first game isn't foreshadowing. It's just one out of 162 games. We need our bats to come to life, though.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It's not Loup's fault that the Angels signed him like it's not Leason's fault Verbeek picked him off of the waiver wire. Angels needed to spend more money to get better players, but we have an owner that won't help out his superstars by going over the cap. For the past five seasons, the Angels have had two superstars in Trout and Ohtani with nothing to show for it.

I just hope this first game isn't foreshadowing. It's just one out of 162 games. We need our bats to come to life, though.
Arte isn't averse to spending money (Rendon, Upton, Hamilton, Pujols, Wells, etc.) but won't spend on pitching. The problem has been a trash farm system that hasn't produced much major league talent. Minasian has upgraded this season, but I'm afraid the improvement of the Mariners and Rangers may leave the Angels out of the playoffs again. Not to mention what they do with Ohtani at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
MMC how do you manage your time between here and Angelswin? I swear your like first to post any news for both teams. #troutsalute

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
You thought I was done after 82 games of Eakins? Oh no siree Bob, that was just the appetizer for the main course: 162 games of Phil Nevin.

Just another year of mediocrity in Halo Land. Find bullpen arms fast, Perry

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
It is so strange that an organization can have such a terrible bullpen no matter who is in the actual bullpen. Names come in and out of the pen and it still sucks. Its odd to me that this can be such an organizational weakness.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Hopefully they'll actually wisen up and trade Ohtani for something when they're inevitably 10 games back at the TDL

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It is so strange that an organization can have such a terrible bullpen no matter who is in the actual bullpen. Names come in and out of the pen and it still sucks. Its odd to me that this can be such an organizational weakness.
Poor drafting and development, poor scouting, and money allotted almost exclusively to position players.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Poor drafting and development, poor scouting, and money allotted almost exclusively to position players.

=== owner Moreno

Money preference to hitters is an owner Arte Moreno thing. Then GM Dipoto traded for ace pitcher Greinke in-season to avoid losing a first round pick by signing a high priced FA. Summer came and instead of giving $25 mil/year to Greinke, Moreno flew out to Texas to sign slugger OF Hamilton to give him the $25 mil/year. We didn't have pitching depth and Greinke could have helped masked the lack of pitching depth in the system for a few years.

Moreno going out and signing high priced FA's Pujols and Hamilton cost the Angles consecutive first round picks in 2012 and 2013 drafts.

=== drafting

The drafting under previous GM Eppler wasn't so great. We traded a first round pick prospect (SS Wilson, iirc) to help shed salary!

Eppler's first round picks
2016: C Thaiss​
2017: OF Adell​
2018: OF Adams​
2019: SS Wilson​
2020: LHP Detmers​

We've needed pitching, but Eppler neglected pitching while trading away many of the pitching arms for hitters. Eppler was also riding off the pitching acquired by previous GM Dipoto.

New GM Minisian looks like he's slowly righting the ship. The 2021 draft, he drafted all pitchers - 20 of them. His 2022 first round pick, SS Neto, is making his debut for the major club this year! I also like the trade where he acquired young prospect catcher O'Hoppe. Still a long ways to go.

=== development

Our development teams got exposed of how terrible we're treating our prospects. It's just crazy how cheap our organization is being run despite owner Moreno still raking in the billions for TV rights from signing Pujols to $254 mil. It's shameful, tbh.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I miss the days of Lackey/Escobar/Washburn/Weaver/Santana/Saunders.
Letting Lackey go was horrible and cheap of Arte. He would go on to win his 2nd WS in 2013 with RedSox and then with the Cubs in 2016.

It seemed like everyone who didn't always get along with Coach/(Unofficial GM) Scioscia was let go or traded (Napoli after 2010, Lackey after 2009).

As for the bullpen i seriously miss the days when it was Donnelly to Shields to K-Rod and you knew the Angels won 99% of the time that K-Rod pitched. Sure he would sometimes make it scary and load the bases with zero outs but he always got out of it ! I remember once K-Rod had 2 on with zero outs and he managed to get a weak pop out followed by two strikeouts to end the 9th.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Feels like it's been forever since the Rangers took a series from the Angels. What's going on with Anaheim?

I think you're trolling here. hahahahahaha Anaheim has been in the same disposition since GM Dipoto quit the team in 2015. Dipoto exposed the disfunction in the front office and the meddling interference of the owner.

What you're fishing for is "What did the Rangers do to put themselves into this position?" Y'all spent a boatload of money in the right spots and grabbed a good, motivating manager in Bochy.

Bochy is one of my favorite managers. I witnessed what he did when he started off with an inaugural low-A team as his first managerial job. Had winning seasons for the first three seasons. The low-A team changed orgs and lost track of him until he surfaced up in the MLB many years later.

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
If they're not in the playoffs. I hope they talk to Ohtani and have an agreement to sign in the off-season while trade him to a contender on TDL. They'll get the players and prospects they need for a run next year and Ohtani can resign to a contending Angels team. Win-win for both. Total fantasy i know. Lol

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
I think you're trolling here. hahahahahaha Anaheim has been in the same disposition since GM Dipoto quit the team in 2015. Dipoto exposed the disfunction in the front office and the meddling interference of the owner.

What you're fishing for is "What did the Rangers do to put themselves into this position?" Y'all spent a boatload of money in the right spots and grabbed a good, motivating manager in Bochy.

Bochy is one of my favorite managers. I witnessed what he did when he started off with an inaugural low-A team as his first managerial job. Had winning seasons for the first three seasons. The low-A team changed orgs and lost track of him until he surfaced up in the MLB many years later.
Not really fishing for anything. I know all of the moves that were made. But the Angels have a pretty nice team with two of the best players in the league. It was just strange to me to see that the Rangers won the series. I can't even watch the games because I only do streaming and everything is blacked out anywhere in Texas when it comes to the Rangers. I just get mlb app updates.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If they're not in the playoffs. I hope they talk to Ohtani and have an agreement to sign in the off-season while trade him to a contender on TDL. They'll get the players and prospects they need for a run next year and Ohtani can resign to a contending Angels team. Win-win for both. Total fantasy i know. Lol

That would be amazing, but, sadly, I think Ohtani wants a different direction of being on a more consistent playoff bound team. This past World Championship of Baseball probably is one of his best highlights since being an Angel and Ohtani would want that feeling again constantly.

Ohtani is going to cost an arm and both legs. The Angels won't go over the luxury tax, which means less talented players round him. Other teams are willing to go over the luxury tax to increase their chances of being a playoff bound team.

I try not to think about it b/c it gets depressing if we aren't playoff bound this season, then Ohtani won't be kept around. But if we aren't going over the luxury tax, then it's kinda pointless to keep Ohtani. Why didn't Moreno sell the Angels?! bleah

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not really fishing for anything. I know all of the moves that were made. But the Angels have a pretty nice team with two of the best players in the league. It was just strange to me to see that the Rangers won the series. I can't even watch the games because I only do streaming and everything is blacked out anywhere in Texas when it comes to the Rangers. I just get mlb app updates.

The Angels have the two best players on the planet and never finished over .500 in the past five seasons together, when Ohtani was signed. That's the best summation of the dysfunction with the Angels.

All the Angel fans were in joy when owner Moreno said he was selling the Angels. When Moreno renege and decided to keep the Angels, all the Angel fans became depressed, distraught, and numbed.

I jokingly intimated you're trolling/fishing for compliments b/c you could have easily read up on this Angels thread. It's not strange to see the Rangers win the series. Texas has won 8 out of 11 game series thus far along with a massive positive run differential to be leading the AL West. Beating the Angels this year where as other years the Rangers couldn't means the Rangers just sucked even more than the Angels in previous seasons. Again, since Ohtani joined with Trout, the Angels have been a sub-.500 team for the past five seasons. The Angels have been a sub-.500 team since Dipoto left in 2015, seven seasons ago.

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
That would be amazing, but, sadly, I think Ohtani wants a different direction of being on a more consistent playoff bound team. This past World Championship of Baseball probably is one of his best highlights since being an Angel and Ohtani would want that feeling again constantly.

Ohtani is going to cost an arm and both legs. The Angels won't go over the luxury tax, which means less talented players round him. Other teams are willing to go over the luxury tax to increase their chances of being a playoff bound team.

I try not to think about it b/c it gets depressing if we aren't playoff bound this season, then Ohtani won't be kept around. But if we aren't going over the luxury tax, then it's kinda pointless to keep Ohtani. Why didn't Moreno sell the Angels?! bleah
Agree on that. Moreno is going to lose out more money when Ohtani leaves. I went on Saturday and there were a LOT of Asian fans there. The line for his jersey was crazy!!

I'm hoping they make it to the post season this year and that would help keep him here.

I'm planning to go watch him pitch with my girl live cuz I haven't had a chance yet. You only get to see this once in a lifetime. Gotta do it before he leaves lol.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Agree on that. Moreno is going to lose out more money when Ohtani leaves. I went on Saturday and there were a LOT of Asian fans there. The line for his jersey was crazy!!

I'm hoping they make it to the post season this year and that would help keep him here.

I'm planning to go watch him pitch with my girl live cuz I haven't had a chance yet. You only get to see this once in a lifetime. Gotta do it before he leaves lol.

The fans he brings in is the only reason he’s still on the team IMO. He should be traded for a boatload of talented prospects.

Reactions: Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think Moreno is aware how much the fans hate him and he wants to stick it to them by watching Ohtani walk and remain on as Owner of the team. People were celebrating on Twitter when he announced the selling of the team last year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You would think by GM Minasian we'd been done talking about Dipoto 0.o

What is it about scope and history do you not like?

Care to tell me when the Angels did finish above .500? Or why we've had the two best players in baseball (Trout & Ohtani) and still not see .500 nor a sniff at the playoffs? At least under Dipoto, Trout did see the playoffs.

Oh wait, you're telling me finishing under .500 for seven consecutive seasons is a great thing as an Angels fan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad