OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The fanbase doesn’t need to be “rebuilt.” They have a huge fanbase and still draw well considering the team has been awful for years.

If the new owner applies the same basic plan as the Red Sox did or the Dodgers did after changing ownership, or I guess the Mets, it won’t be long until they’re contending again. They’ll automatically have more resources than 90% of the teams in the league with a new owner in this market.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The fanbase doesn’t need to be “rebuilt.” They have a huge fanbase and still draw well considering the team has been awful for years.

If the new owner applies the same basic plan as the Red Sox did or the Dodgers did after changing ownership, or I guess the Mets, it won’t be long until they’re contending again. They’ll automatically have more resources than 90% of the teams in the league with a new owner in this market.
I can literally find tickets to almost ANY Angel game for 2 dollars. Literally 2 dollars. I don't mind it since I live semi-close to Angels stadium (I'm not an Angels fan but sometimes I go just to watch the two generational players for 2 bucks). 2 dollars doesn't get you shit anymore :laugh:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
And yet their attendance has been top 5 for years despite not making the playoffs since 2014, and once since 2009. This will be the first year they haven’t sold 3 million tickets in forever.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
And yet their attendance has been top 5 for years despite not making the playoffs since 2014, and once since 2009. This will be the first year they haven’t sold 3 million tickets in forever.
I would hope they get decent attendance if the tickets are 2-5 dollars. Every time I go I can literally sit anywhere because it's so empty & the staff around don't seem to care too much.... not complaining though lol The tickets cost like 7x less than a beer.....

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Ohtani is their meal ticket. If he's not an Angel and they are bad, the attendance is going to drop substantially.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I would hope they get decent attendance if the tickets are 2-5 dollars. Every time I go I can literally sit anywhere because it's so empty & the staff around don't seem to care too much.... not complaining though lol The tickets cost like 7x less than a beer.....

Thats a majority of baseball teams. When you have 160+ games in a season and they play almost every night, teams dont sell out. it seems empty because the place can hold 50k people.

This season the Angels rank 13th in avg home game attendance. 16th last year, 5th in 2019, 6th in 2018.

They are the #9 ranked team as far as value goes.

If you ask me, the Ducks should be doing what the Angels are doing. I dont care about the ticket cost, get butts in the stadium/arena. You are going to make your money off parking and concessions. The game is being played regardless if its a sellout or only 5 people show up. More ticket give-aways, $5 nose bleeds the day-of.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Thats a majority of baseball teams. When you have 160+ games in a season and they play almost every night, teams dont sell out. it seems empty because the place can hold 50k people.

This season the Angels rank 13th in avg home game attendance. 16th last year, 5th in 2019, 6th in 2018.

They are the #9 ranked team as far as value goes.

If you ask me, the Ducks should be doing what the Angels are doing. I dont care about the ticket cost, get butts in the stadium/arena. You are going to make your money off parking and concessions. The game is being played regardless if its a sellout or only 5 people show up. More ticket give-aways, $5 nose bleeds the day-of.
I've been to quite a few Angel games this year. I'm assuming businesses just bought season tickets but no one uses them. It's been empty as f***. If those numbers are right that's good for ownership though at least tickets are being sold even if they aren't going to the games. The only game I went to that I remember being semi-filled was Dodgers vs Angels.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Ohtani is their meal ticket. If he's not an Angel and they are bad, the attendance is going to drop substantially.

2021 was the first time the Angels attendance was outside of the top 10 teams in the league since 2002. Ohtani and Trout both playing last year and this year. They had some pretty bad teams in the 2010s and still a top 10 attendance team.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I've been to quite a few Angel games this year. I'm assuming businesses just bought season tickets but no one uses them. It's been empty as f***. If those numbers are right that's good for ownership though at least tickets are being sold even if they aren't going to the games. The only game I went to that I remember being semi-filled was Dodgers vs Angels.

Avg is 30,600. So figure that weekday games against nobody teams are going to be less. Weekday against teams that draw will be avg and weekend games in general will be above avg.

My main point though is its normal at most baseball stadiums to be able to get cheap tickets especially day of.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Not an Angel fan but here at the game. Trout and Ohtani are amazing lol

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Angels seem like a bottomless pit (from multiple directions) in Anaheim to me. They have two players in their prime that are all time greats but it's going to take years and years to rebuild that team and fanbase. Doubt Samueli is interested at all.

With the correct management in place I don’t believe it will take as long as you think it will. They’re just terribly mismanaged.

Regardless, buying a sports team is always a long term investment

Agreed. Bad management = bad owner. The Angels could have had prospect Andy Pages (ranked 69th out of top 100 prospects) and starting pitcher Stripling if Moreno wasn't impatient! Stripling has thrown over 100 IP's for the past two seasons and this season has an ERA of 3.03! ::: grumble, grumble :::

I don't think they're that far away from .500 play. A healthy Ohtani, Trout, and Rendon is a scary hitting triplet. Then Ward came onto the scene this year hitting, which made OF Walsh an expendable bat. Walsh was traded for a young catcher who might be ready for split duties as soon as next season. C O'Hoppe is ranked 69th out of the top 100 prospects in baseball. O'Hoppe has "all star" potential.

If the Angels are able to retain Ohtani, then they have a good 1-3 in Ohtani, Sandoval, and Detmers. They could sign another top of the lineup pitcher to go 1-4 and then have that battle for #5 pitcher. Prospect Bachman might get a look next year, but they also got a lefty from the Braves.

Relief pitchers needs vamping up. The Iglesia's experiement didn't work, but saved cash when the Braves took over his contract. Loup signing also wasn't great.

2021: R = 723 , RA = 804 , Run Diff = -81​
2022: R = 515 , RA = 562 , Run Diff = -47​

There is improvement with our pitching, but our hitting took a massive dump thanks to injuries to Trout and Rendon.

The problem here with the Angels even if they improve to .500 play is they're in a division where it looks like it'll be the Astros and Mariners atop the AL WEST for years to come. The AL EAST has some very good teams. Can the Angels sneak into the playoffs when there are so many teams ahead of them?

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
almost that time again.....and since i can care less about this garbage ducks team....how long until the angels do it to us? will show-time still be on this team at the end? will there be pitching/depth/injury issues that sink us?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
almost that time again.....and since i can care less about this garbage ducks team....how long until the angels do it to us? will show-time still be on this team at the end? will there be pitching/depth/injury issues that sink us?

There's actual depth in case Rendon falters again with 3B Urshela, SP Anderson is a 3-5 guy, OF Renfroe add depth/competition in the outfield, and C O'Hoppe is the catcher of the future. Prospect SS Neto isn't far from the Big Show.

Rendon needs to stay healthy, along with Trout, so that we can outscore the runs our pitching staff would give up like it did to start the season last year.

Reactions: IDuck and Beckett

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Still no belief in the pitching, but I've been saying that for 10 years or so.
This is why I said Rendon and Trout need to be healthy. Of course, that includes Ohtani. We can out hit our pitching if healthy. If not, then we lose a lot. Getting Urshela just in case Rendon is made of glass again gives us some kind of offense.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
They had one of the best rotations in the AL last year, and have improved it since.

The bullpen is the main question, but the starters are not an issue if everyone stays healthy.

Reactions: Beckett

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017

This is actually the most comfortable I've been with the rotations in ages. Lineup has more depth than last year, but guys like Walsh and Rendon need to stay healthy. Bullpen is a total wild card, could go any direction.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is actually the most comfortable I've been with the rotations in ages. Lineup has more depth than last year, but guys like Walsh and Rendon need to stay healthy. Bullpen is a total wild card, could go any direction.

Yup, I like the makeup of this team going forward. Lots of little small moves that could pan out to be bigger ones. We have two youths to focus upon this season in catcher O'Hoppe and SS Neto, who might not start at the MLB level, but might push his way up midway through the season.

The only problem is that we're in the same division as the Astros and Mariners.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Just watched Ohtani strike out Trout to win Gold at the World Baseball Classic tonight. I think this game might have sealed Ohtani's fate on wanting to play on a contending team. If the Angels didn't put enough talent on the team this year, Ohtani's gone.

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
It will if Ohtani doesn't resign and they meet again in Playoffs. But who knows when the Angels going to be in the Playoffs again.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How's Aaron Judge's slider doing these days?

It was funny hearing all the accolades for Ohtani from the MLB network's commentators with Harold and Pedro, especially Pedro. Pedro kept admiring how difficult it is for Othani to compartmentalize (my word) pitching performance from hitting performance and not affecting each other in-game. For the AL MVP last year, Pedro didn't care about Ohtani doing both and kept praising Judge for breaking Maris' American League HR total, not the HR king for both leagues, which is 73 HRs by Barry Bonds (yeah... that era and elbow shield). Pedro's salivation last night after bashing on Ohtani for AL MVP made me cringe so much last night.

Ohtani surpassed the Babe last year and then some in 2022. The Babe went 13-7 pitching (wins isn't the best descriptor of a pitcher) and had 11 homers in 1918. Othani went 15-9 and had 34 HRs. There isn't anyone on the horizon who's doing what Ohtani's doing. Ohtani was better last year than then year he won AL MVP two seasons ago!

Reactions: Deuce22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad