Speculation: Looking back on the Hamilton trade , should the Oilers have gave up Nurse

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
No need to look back and debate if you guys should have done it, Hamilton to the Oilers can still happen! We can give you Hamilton+ whatever you like, all we ask is you give us McDavid. ;)

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Probably not bad with Klefbom and McDavid/RNH.

Giving Andy Greene all the credit for that pairing is a farce.

But that doesn't support his argument!

Larsson had just as big of a role in that pairing, as Greene did.

Kilted Yaksmen

Sep 20, 2015
It was Nurse+16+33 as far as I recall and that's way too rich for Hamilton although he'd be an ideal fit for the team now that Larsson is in the fold but is there the same urgency to deal for Larsson if the Hamilton trade was made? There's no way to be sure and it's irrelevant now anyway.

Considering 16+33 were essentially lit on fire and flushed down the toilet anyway, I would argue that Nurse+16+33 sounds like a steal for a #2/3 who is also a PP QB.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
The biggest thing to take from this thread is that Chiarelli is pretty bad at trading and assessing talent in general.

I think what we can take from this thread is that Larsson is better than Hamilton.

But judging by your post history, 90% of your posts are just about hating on everything Edmonton does.

So you're kind of irrelevant.

Kilted Yaksmen

Sep 20, 2015
Nurse has in no way shown he has half the offensive upside as Hamilton.

Dougies positioning on a Hartley tire fire, no defense systemis holding him back from being a legit top pairing guy but he's on another level offensively. Four straight years at 6 S% is unreal.

FYP. Lets see how Hamilton does with a coach who will play a structured defense instead of one who forces the team to play a system that is aggressively simplistic and predictable. Half the time I thought Hartley was trying to coach a video game.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

But that doesn't support his argument!

Larsson had just as big of a role in that pairing, as Greene did.

Larsson's numbers better apart from Greene, Greene worse away from Larsson's. He had more of a role in that pairing.

Kilted Yaksmen

Sep 20, 2015
You mean a #3. He's not a #2

I think he could be a 2D, last year was just a mess. The team's best defender, Brodie, plays the right side, so Hamliton won't be paired with him. So that means, while he's on Calgary, he likely will never play on the top pairing, unless he can become better than Brodie (who was an AHL player at Hamilton's age). That doesn't mean he couldn't be a good complimentary top pairing D as long as the 1D is a true #1. He likely won't get that opportunity in CGY though.

Last year, they tried him with Giordano at the start when Brodie was injured. Poor Gio looked like an AHL player for the first two months while he shook off the cob webs from a major injury. Hamilton couldn't compensate because he's definitely not a guy who can anchor a top pairing... yet. I would be interested to see them try Gio/Hamilton again to see if Hamilton could be that guy. After Gio/Hamilton didn't work, Hamilton was essentially buried by Hartley in favor of the disastrous Wideman/Russell pairing. After Russell was traded, and Wideman went ref-hunting, Hamilton looked A LOT better as Hartley was forced to use him in a more prominent role. Hamilton was only bad for the first 6 weeks or so, after that he looked like the player Calgary thought they were getting when they traded for him.

Kilted Yaksmen

Sep 20, 2015
I think what we can take from this thread is that Larsson is better than Hamilton.

But judging by your post history, 90% of your posts are just about hating on everything Edmonton does.

So you're kind of irrelevant.

It's pretty easy to hate what they do though. Chia/Lowe/MacT/Katz/Katz Jr really only either make terrible hockey moves or get lucky at the draft lottery. What exactly is there to praise?

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

I think he could be a 2D, last year was just a mess. The team's best defender, Brodie, plays the right side, so Hamliton won't be paired with him. So that means, while he's on Calgary, he likely will never play on the top pairing, unless he can become better than Brodie (who was an AHL player at Hamilton's age). That doesn't mean he couldn't be a good complimentary top pairing D as long as the 1D is a true #1. He likely won't get that opportunity in CGY though.

Last year, they tried him with Giordano at the start when Brodie was injured. Poor Gio looked like an AHL player for the first two months while he shook off the cob webs from a major injury. Hamilton couldn't compensate because he's definitely not a guy who can anchor a top pairing... yet. I would be interested to see them try Gio/Hamilton again to see if Hamilton could be that guy. After Gio/Hamilton didn't work, Hamilton was essentially buried by Hartley in favor of the disastrous Wideman/Russell pairing. After Russell was traded, and Wideman went ref-hunting, Hamilton looked A LOT better as Hartley was forced to use him in a more prominent role. Hamilton was only bad for the first 6 weeks or so, after that he looked like the player Calgary thought they were getting when they traded for him.

I think Hamilton made Gio look bad off the hop because Hamilton couldn't handle the competition that Gio plays.

Hamilton's a strong ES/PP producer and does well to get the puck going in the right direction, but his inability to protect the net and defend his zone will always be his hinderance from being a top pair D in my mind. I thought they should have gone out and gotten a Methot-type box protection D to cover his mistakes, he'll continue to be exposed if Jokipakka is his partner. I do think he'll score more being out from under Hartley, but the net gain from what he gives up is overstated IMO. If you're a top 20 point producer and bottom 20 scoring chance conceder(as he was this past season), the value I guess comes out on the only special teams he's able to play (PP). I'd put him in the same bus as Barrie with less defensive ability and maybe Shattenkirk with a bit less PP ability

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Hamilton got a pretty middling report card on Match Sticks and Gasoline.

He wasn't good on the first pair, but better when sheltered by Brodie. At a $5.75m cap hit, he's expensive for 2nd pairing, and would have been eaten alive in Edmonton.

To the original poster, I'm glad that Nurse+draft picks didn't happen. Hamilton's not what Edmonton needed.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Andy Greene?

Andy Greene is a good Dman, but there's no way he could take on the extreme assignment he was given and have to carry his partner in any way. Larsson was an equal contributor on that pairing, and actually did better away from Greene than Greene did away from him. Larsson was a near unanimous choice as best D by writers in Jersey. As far as I'm concerned, Greene was good training wheels, but Larsson was already starting to eclipse Greene. I'd take Larsson over Greene easy, and not just because of their ages. Larsson is fully established as a top pairing Dman as of now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To the original poster, I'm glad that Nurse+draft picks didn't happen. Hamilton's not what Edmonton needed.

Hamilton is what we need now though, and if he were playing with a guy like Sekera I think his downsides would be downplayed.

at any rate, we're not getting Hamilton and will have to find our OFD elsewhere. It doesn't look like it's happening soon.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Hamilton is what we need now though, and if he were playing with a guy like Sekera I think his downsides would be downplayed.

At $5.75 million on the second pairing?

I guess with Klefbom and Larsson only making $8.3m combined, you could do that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
At $5.75 million on the second pairing?

I guess with Klefbom and Larsson only making $8.3m combined, you could do that.

I don't think that amount of money is too much for a Dman who puts up points, and a 2nd pairing guy is still a critical position. Hamilton has potential to become a 1D as well.

Hamilton may not be available, but if there were a deal for Shattenkirk for example, but he wanted an extension at that cap hit I'd jump at the chance.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

at any rate, we're not getting Hamilton and will have to find our OFD elsewhere. It doesn't look like it's happening soon.

He's what we need on paper before the season starts. Things never unfold the same way when all is said and done.

I doubt the lack of a Dougie Hamilton is going to kill our powerplay success all year. Just like I'd doubt having a Hamilton-type would skyrocket us into elite company on the powerplay.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

He would fit if Sekera were traded for a box protection D ala Methot like I said, otherwise the two D that specialize in driving shots for would be a revolving door. He definitely wouldnt have fit last season before they had a top pair that specializes in sawing off against top comp

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Hamilton <----> Marc Andre Bergeron

Larsson is definitely better.

I say a tier below Barrie and close to Shattenkirk, no slouches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad