London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
At this point (without having see a second of with Gatto or Medvedev) I’d believe the plan would be for those two to share the crease.

If an upgrade is required mid season that can be affordably had. Goalies don’t cost much. I would not use an OA spot unless it’s for a Championship level stopper.

Reactions: LDN and Random2152

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
You cant undervalue the back to back championship series appearances from Willmore ( granted this past years relief appearance was lower stress then the season prior )
I get OA spots are coveted but what does this guy have to do to get the crease. For me Willmore is your #1 goalie in September

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just curious, depends on who comes back I guess. But if we get Dickinson, Bonk, maybe Halttunen or Cowan back etc. we could go for another Championship run.

Do we feel confident in our goaltending with OA Owen Willmore? I love his resume. One of your most experienced Championship goalies maybe other than Bowen and Oster. Just think he hasn’t shown to be a reliable starter yet, but would have a bit to go to make me feel confident in his starting abilities.

Is there even a reasonable upgrade that could be available though? The only upgrade I see that is 100% worth it is if Dominic DiVincentiis is somehow sent back for an OA year (very unlikely, since there is room for him in the ECHL). Other than that, who do we trust more?

Sabastien Gatto
Alexei Medvedev
Owen Willmore

If there is no upgrade, which two are you choosing?
have they signed Gatto?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
McCue gave out too many cheap shots, and went down hurt or embellished or dive to be considered one of the tougher imo.
Anania, Arnsby, Christopolous, Federkow, … Pitre, VanSteensel, … are all tougher middle weights in my view
Boulton and Blake Smith fought. It was pretty even if I remember. I’m not a Boulton hater but he’s not Xhekaj or Guryev level scary. I don’t think there were any kids in the league last year close to that and there rarely will be going forward.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Boulton and Blake Smith fought. It was pretty even if I remember. I’m not a Boulton hater but he’s not Xhekaj or Guryev level scary. I don’t think there were any kids in the league last year close to that and there rarely will be going forward.
Those two were scary.
Last season, I did not want to see Roobroek fight. He ended a couple of 2022-23 fights in brutal fashion.

Reactions: frontsfan67

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
You cant undervalue the back to back championship series appearances from Willmore ( granted this past years relief appearance was lower stress then the season prior )
I get OA spots are coveted but what does this guy have to do to get the crease. For me Willmore is your #1 goalie in September
I would agree unless Carter George magically becomes available.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
My thought is run with Sim, Willmore and Julien as the OAs if Julien is available

Reactions: Fastpace

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Gazizov and Leonard would be the two that bump everyone if they are back
I’d actually think Leonard could traded back home to the GTA aka Brampton. Only reason is Mark and Dale need to continue to develop the next core of defenseman for when Dickinson and Bonk move on.

We got PJ Fagan, Noah Jenken, Brzustewicz and Woolley that all need ice time to develop. Now if we dont get back Oliver Bonk this year, that could be a different story. Then we keep Leonard.

However, as Gazizov would be the top of the list an OA, he is not the top 2 in import priority.

OA Priority
1. Julien
2. Gazizov
3. Willmore
4. Leonard
4. Sim

Import Priority
1. Halttunen
2. Nurmi
3. Gazizov
4. Semenyov

So that’s where Gazizov might lose out and be waived or be traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Just curious, depends on who comes back I guess. But if we get Dickinson, Bonk, maybe Halttunen or Cowan back etc. we could go for another Championship run.

Do we feel confident in our goaltending with OA Owen Willmore? I love his resume. One of your most experienced Championship goalies maybe other than Bowen and Oster. Just think he hasn’t shown to be a reliable starter yet, but would have a bit to go to make me feel confident in his starting abilities.

Is there even a reasonable upgrade that could be available though? The only upgrade I see that is 100% worth it is if Dominic DiVincentiis is somehow sent back for an OA year (very unlikely, since there is room for him in the ECHL). Other than that, who do we trust more?

Sabastien Gatto
Alexei Medvedev
Owen Willmore

If there is no upgrade, which two are you choosing?
I personally thought the Knights could have won with Willmore in nets two years ago against Peterborough, I thought he was more motivated than Bowen or Simpson for the Pete's. Yes, Willmore can, and the Knights can or at least should have full confidence in him next season. IMHO

Willmore has a lot of scouts to convince next season

Reactions: tjziel

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I’d actually think Leonard could traded back home to the GTA aka Brampton. Only reason is Mark and Dale need to continue to develop the next core of defenseman for when Dickinson and Bonk move on.

We got PJ Fagan, Noah Jenken, Brzustewicz and Woolley that all need ice time to develop. Now if we dont get back Oliver Bonk this year, that could be a different story. Then we keep Leonard.

However, as Gazizov would be the top of the list an OA, he is not the top 2 in import priority.

OA Priority
1. Julien
2. Gazizov
3. Willmore
4. Leonard
4. Sim

Import Priority
1. Halttunen
2. Nurmi
3. Gazizov
4. Semenyov

So that’s where Gazizov might lose out and be waived or be traded.
This is right on

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Congratulations Sam!!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Congratulations Sam!!

Good chance he isn’t back as I have said many times.

Real good d man not much to prove at the OHL level- best all around d man in the OHL this year.

Parekh may have won it for the CHL but it’s cause of the offensive numbers he put up which is the highest they’ve been in years. I’d still take Mateychuk and Dickinson over him.

Wish they had awards like the Q. Best defensive forward, best defensive d man etc.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

Real good d man not much to prove at the OHL level- best all around d man in the OHL this year.

Parekh may have won it for the CHL but it’s cause of the offensive numbers he put up which is the highest they’ve been in years. I’d still take Mateychuk and Dickinson over him.

Wish they had awards like the Q. Best defensive forward, best defensive d man etc.
He’ll be back to London 100%.

It’s not a matter of what he has left to prove in the OHL, but more of a San Jose decision to keep him away from an abysmal year.

They already have Celebrini and Will Smith joining the Sharks. Too many rookies on the team is a disaster in the waiting.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
He’ll be back to London 100%.

It’s not a matter of what he has left to prove in the OHL, but more of a San Jose decision to keep him away from an abysmal year.

They already have Celebrini and Will Smith joining the Sharks. Too many rookies on the team is a disaster in the waiting.

Agreed, and I think the Knights will give him the chance to be the PP quarterback on the 1st unit.

He could see a huge point jump, even from this past season!

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens

I’ll bet you anything you want he IS back. It’s NHL or back for him and the amount of times he iced the pucks in the playoffs was scary. Even when drafted they said his pressure play needs work. I’m a huge fan of his, and his potentially is that of a number 1 guy in the NHL. However his game is nowhere near NHL ready. He has yet to develop any sense of physicality to his game. He uses his body well as a defender but I can’t remember more than a couple hits, never came close to a fight. So his size at this point is a bit of a waste. There is plenty more for him to do at the OHL level.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

hell be back this year, the following year will be interesting.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
This just came to mind. Every time we have traded for a defective player, we have won an OHL Championship..

Max Domi - 12-13 OHL Championship
Victor Mete - 16 OHL Championship
Sam Dickinson - 24 OHL Championship
Henry Brzustewicz - 24 OHL Championship

Worth all the picks traded to get them

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
This just came to mind. Every time we have traded for a defective player, we have won an OHL Championship..

Max Domi - 12-13 OHL Championship
Victor Mete - 16 OHL Championship
Sam Dickinson - 24 OHL Championship
Henry Brzustewicz - 24 OHL Championship

Worth all the picks traded to get them
Generally, those deals are the best value deals or bang for your buck. You’re essentially buying 3-4 years of a player at or near the top of their age group.

Compared to the trades for 0.5 years of veterans, the defected deals are a no brainer, provided the prospect pans out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Generally, those deals are the best value deals or bang for your buck. You’re essentially buying 3-4 years of a player at or near the top of their age group.

Compared to the trades for 0.5 years of veterans, the defected deals are a no brainer, provided the prospect pans out.
It’s terrific for both sides. It’s probably a good thing teams cannot use that rule in successive years because some teams would never end up with a top 7 prospect

Reactions: Savard18

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

Exactly. Great value and have posted as much on every one of those deals.
Hunter just needs to find a way to continue to keep extra 2nds in the bank for when the op arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad