Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Just going to drop this here for you guys.
I’m not arguing he hasn’t already peaked, but IMO he seems like a reasonable bet for a 30-30 season on Smith’s wing if he’s in a good spot personally. Gosh, I think he’s going to be motivated as hell to have a big season this coming year…
It's not a reasonable bet for a player who hasn't scored 30 goals in 5 years to do so playing with a literal rookie with no NHL track record, we don't even know what Smith is at this level right now, let alone what he would look like next to a player as bad defensively as Laine, that pairing isn't doing Smith and favors adjusting to the NHL game

Those 129 games are spread over a 3 year period where Laine was playing 17 minutes a night on one of the worst teams in the league and he was consistently outscored at even strength, Laine is a limited utility player who provides nothing but PP scoring and doesn't do it at a high level, and right now we have enough young mouths to feed on a potential PP1 unit that a 26 year old reclamation project isn't the best use of those minutes, I'd rather let Celebrini, Smith and Eklund struggle their way along that deployment along side a Toffoli/Dman combo than bring in a guy who is just gonna walk in a couple of years

Laine has had a good reason to be motivated every year, this is the NHL, everyone wants to succeed, I know he's had personal struggles as of late but my misgivings about his game long outdate those problems, he's the kind of guy I simply don't want on my hockey team, he coasts on talent and isn't actually talented enough to do so and be a positive contributor

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's not a reasonable bet for a player who hasn't scored 30 goals in 5 years to do so playing with a literal rookie with no NHL track record, we don't even know what Smith is at this level right now, let alone what he would look like next to a player as bad defensively as Laine, that pairing isn't doing Smith and favors adjusting to the NHL game

Those 129 games are spread over a 3 year period where Laine was playing 17 minutes a night on one of the worst teams in the league and he was consistently outscored at even strength, Laine is a limited utility player who provides nothing but PP scoring and doesn't do it at a high level, and right now we have enough young mouths to feed on a potential PP1 unit that a 26 year old reclamation project isn't the best use of those minutes, I'd rather let Celebrini, Smith and Eklund struggle their way along that deployment along side a Toffoli/Dman combo than bring in a guy who is just gonna walk in a couple of years

Laine has had a good reason to be motivated every year, this is the NHL, everyone wants to succeed, I know he's had personal struggles as of late but my misgivings about his game long outdate those problems, he's the kind of guy I simply don't want on my hockey team, he coasts on talent and isn't actually talented enough to do so and be a positive contributor
If Laine was brought in to San Jose, it would almost certainly be on Celebrini's wing anyway. I'm alright with bringing Laine in. I'm just opposed to paying anything that resembles a future 1st or 2nd round pick.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Even if Laine wasn't an enormous defensive liability, why would we bring a confirmed headcase into the locker room while trying to integrate two young franchise cornerstones into professional hockey? And we're supposed to give up assets do this when he makes 9 million a year?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
If Laine was brought in to San Jose, it would almost certainly be on Celebrini's wing anyway. I'm alright with bringing Laine in. I'm just opposed to paying anything that resembles a future 1st or 2nd round pick.
That's what we brought Toffoli in to do, a player with a winning pedigree and valuable experience who has been on deep playoff runs and learned from playing with a lot of great teammates

And while he is also not a great defensive player, he has actually scored over 30 goals in each of his last two seasons and he isn't the nightmare in his own end that Patrick Laine is

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's what we brought Toffoli in to do, a player with a winning pedigree and valuable experience who has been on deep playoff runs and learned from playing with a lot of great teammates

And while he is also not a great defensive player, he has actually scored over 30 goals in each of his last two seasons and he isn't the nightmare in his own end that Patrick Laine is
Laine can play the other side with Toffoli and Celebrini and probably would under any circumstance that happens to have Laine in San Jose somehow.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Laine can play the other side with Toffoli and Celebrini and probably would under any circumstance that happens to have Laine in San Jose somehow.
As much as we all have high hopes for Celebrini, he's still an 18 year old rookie, playing him with 2 right-wingers who are offense-only players that don't forecheck or retrieve pucks and aren't high level distributors isn't putting him in the best position to succeed

He can play with one guy like that but he needs more support on the other wing, whether it's a playmaker, a forchecker, a defensive winger, he needs something that compliments that line as a 3rd wheel, Toffoli and Laine are redundant and playing them together would result in diminishing returns

If we did trade for Laine then I'm fairly certain he and Toffoli would be on separate lines and the combos would be sussed out based on chemistry developed in camp, Zetterlund, Toffoli and Laine all occupy the same niche on this team as RW finishers and they would be played on the top 3 lines accordingly, it doesn't make much sense to play any of them together

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As much as we all have high hopes for Celebrini, he's still an 18 year old rookie, playing him with 2 right-wingers who are offense-only players that don't forecheck or retrieve pucks and aren't high level distributors isn't putting him in the best position to succeed

He can play with one guy like that but he needs more support on the other wing, whether it's a playmaker, a forchecker, a defensive winger, he needs something that compliments that line as a 3rd wheel, Toffoli and Laine are redundant and playing them together would result in diminishing returns

If we did trade for Laine then I'm fairly certain he and Toffoli would be on separate lines and the combos would be sussed out based on chemistry developed in camp, Zetterlund, Toffoli and Laine all occupy the same niche on this team as RW finishers and they would be played on the top 3 lines accordingly, it doesn't make much sense to play any of them together
We don't exactly have stellar options in those departments as it stands now. Zetterlund does a little more off the puck than Toffoli and Laine tend to but I don't see a good reason to move Zetterlund away from Eklund and Granlund until we make a decision on Granlund's future with the team. Laine's limited play away from the puck is why I'm not willing to pay anything of real consequence to acquire him. But considering we only really have Toffoli penciled in with Celebrini, I'm alright with someone like Laine on the left side (which he can play as can Toffoli) and have them work on developing Celebrini's offensive game while also sort of forcing him to be the defensive anchor of that line. Yeah, he's 18 but we're throwing him in the NHL anyway so this was always going to happen regardless of who you put on that side. None of the options we have except for Wennberg are even that good defensively in that sort of role assuming Couture is not an option.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
We don't exactly have stellar options in those departments as it stands now. Zetterlund does a little more off the puck than Toffoli and Laine tend to but I don't see a good reason to move Zetterlund away from Eklund and Granlund until we make a decision on Granlund's future with the team. Laine's limited play away from the puck is why I'm not willing to pay anything of real consequence to acquire him. But considering we only really have Toffoli penciled in with Celebrini, I'm alright with someone like Laine on the left side (which he can play as can Toffoli) and have them work on developing Celebrini's offensive game while also sort of forcing him to be the defensive anchor of that line. Yeah, he's 18 but we're throwing him in the NHL anyway so this was always going to happen regardless of who you put on that side. None of the options we have except for Wennberg are even that good defensively in that sort of role assuming Couture is not an option.
Two snipers or shoot first players on the same line is redundant and will waste their talents. I was interested in Laine before Toffoli signed but now we don’t need both.

I would only take Laine as a clear cap dump with an asset attached to him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Two snipers or shoot first players on the same line is redundant and will waste their talents. I was interested in Laine before Toffoli signed but now we don’t need both.

I would only take Laine as a clear cap dump with an asset attached to him.
I don't agree that it's redundant or a waste of their talents. Marleau and Heatley were predominantly shoot first talents as was Pavelski. They still worked very well with Jumbo.

Besides that, we currently have two 20 goal scorers in the lineup and hope that Celebrini, Smith, and Eklund break those marks. We can find a spot for another even if Celebrini's line isn't the perfect fit.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't agree that it's redundant or a waste of their talents. Marleau and Heatley were predominantly shoot first talents as was Pavelski. They still worked very well with Jumbo.

Besides that, we currently have two 20 goal scorers in the lineup and hope that Celebrini, Smith, and Eklund break those marks. We can find a spot for another even if Celebrini's line isn't the perfect fit.
I thought the consensus was that Heatley really didn’t do much at all on Thornton and Marleau’s wing. Like, at all.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

Marleau was also a very responsible defensive player and a capable playmaker, but as has been pointed out:

I thought the consensus was that Heatley really didn’t do much at all on Thornton and Marleau’s wing. Like, at all.
That line didn't actually make a ton of sense outside of stacking talent, to the point that by year 2 Heatley was moved down to the Couture line and didn't play with Marleau and Thornton again at even strength

I agree that Zetterlund has a nice niche on the Lund line, so in my mind we have room for a shooter for Celebrini and a shooter for Smith

The way I see the framework as of right now:

?????-Granlund-Zetterlund
?????-Celebrini-Toffoli
?????-Smith-?????

We could definitely use another shooter for the Smith line, but part of me thinks they shift Eklund down to play with him since they both play as dual-threat playmakers/goalscorers and could hopefully thrive against lesser competition, which means that those 3 lines just need a forechecking/defending 3rd wheel presence as a compliment, of which we do have some options (of varying degrees of capability) in Kostin, Kunin, Dellandrea, and Goodrow, and I would gladly take any of those players in that role over Laine, yes, even Kunin

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Pretty much agree with everything @weastern bias is saying.

Anyway, no matter where you land on Laine, I would be shocked if he had the "skilled compete" and/or "hard to play against" that Grier is looking for. Especially at the cost of assets. I just don't see a fit at all for the kind of team this front office is trying to build.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Marleau was also a very responsible defensive player and a capable playmaker, but as has been pointed out:

That line didn't actually make a ton of sense outside of stacking talent, to the point that by year 2 Heatley was moved down to the Couture line and didn't play with Marleau and Thornton again at even strength

I agree that Zetterlund has a nice niche on the Lund line, so in my mind we have room for a shooter for Celebrini and a shooter for Smith

?????-Celebrini-Toffoli
?????-Smith-?????

We could definitely use another shooter for the Smith line, but part of me thinks they shift Eklund down to play with him since they both play as dual-threat playmakers/goalscorers and could hopefully thrive against lesser competition, which means that those 3 lines just need a forechecking/defending 3rd wheel presence as a compliment, of which we do have some options (of varying degrees of capability) in Kostin, Kunin, Dellandrea, and Goodrow, and I would gladly take any of those players in that role over Laine, yes, even Kunin
Feels kinda motto-y...

Sharks 2024-2025 "yes, even Kunin"

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Heatley didn't. He was pretty much scoring only but you can get away with that on the wing. When I see someone mention shoot-first, I think of the mentality they have in the attacking zone with the puck on their stick. Some guys like Thornton are pass-first and guys like Heatley are shoot-first. Marleau, while capable of passing well as Heatley was, they tend to look to shoot more than pass. I think you can get away with having two wingers on the same line that are like that if your 3rd guy is a setup guy. I don't think Toffoli is as limited as he may be portrayed in this context. Laine probably is but you can make two shoot-first wingers work with a good setup center and I wouldn't mind Celebrini centering that kind of line as a rookie. We've already decided we're throwing him to the fire and at this rate we're looking at Toffoli on one side and whoever earns that other spot like maybe Wennberg or Kostin or whoever on the other. Whoever wins that spot is likely to be limited as well though they may have other helpful features to their game. If Laine falls into our laps via waivers, you're almost certainly putting him with one of Celebrini or Smith. I think Celebrini and Toffoli are more equipped to handle playing with someone like Laine than Smith and whoever other winger would win that sort of spot.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Feels kinda motto-y...

Sharks 2024-2025 "yes, even Kunin"
giphy.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

?????-Celebrini-Toffoli
?????-Smith-?????

Marleau was a multi-faceted player but he was a shoot-first guy with the puck on his stick which was what I was responding to. Heatley was also that way though not as versatile but he was every bit as good of a passer (probably better) than Marleau. The stacking of that line certainly worked. Marleau had his best year on that line and Heatley still had 39 goals. The 2nd year Heatley just wasn't the same player and the Clowe-Couture duo wasn't really finding an effective 3rd guy either because Setoguchi wasn't as consistent anymore and they were still having Pavs center the 3rd line mostly.

I really don't know how the framework would include Zetterlund up there but not Eklund. There's a season's worth of games that separates those two and they all really clicked together. I don't expect that line to last the whole season or anything but I don't see why they'd start next season with them separated when that was the only forward line that had any sort of lasting chemistry and success. Part of insulating Celebrini and Smith is putting them underneath something at least partially established like that line. That and if you move Eklund down to either Celebrini or Smith's line, any other winger replacing him to eat top line minutes seems less likely to find any sort of success. Wennberg is pretty solid defensively but not at the top of the lineup. Nobody else has top line attributes of any kind unless Couture is healthy by some miracle, imo. If Laine is made available to the team, I can see him being a real option to fill that void to allow Eklund to play with either Celebrini or Smith but I'm not actually betting on him becoming available to the Sharks.

My expected lineup (though not preferred) right now looks like...

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Wennberg-Celebrini-Toffoli
Kostin-Smith-Kunin
Goodrow-Sturm-Grundstrom

That 3rd line will certainly be protective of Smith but it'll be lacking offensively over the long term because Kunin sucks and has a lot of plays die on his stick and Kostin is an unknown. But at least this year's lineup will have a little more capability of guys being positives when they're moved around the lineup. Goodrow can sub in for Wennberg at times. Grundstrom can probably fill in for Kostin or Kunin pretty seamlessly. Dellandrea can probably slide in as a forechecker higher in the lineup on occasion. He probably just won't produce much.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Marleau was a multi-faceted player but he was a shoot-first guy with the puck on his stick which was what I was responding to. Heatley was also that way though not as versatile but he was every bit as good of a passer (probably better) than Marleau. The stacking of that line certainly worked. Marleau had his best year on that line and Heatley still had 39 goals. The 2nd year Heatley just wasn't the same player and the Clowe-Couture duo wasn't really finding an effective 3rd guy either because Setoguchi wasn't as consistent anymore and they were still having Pavs center the 3rd line mostly.

I really don't know how the framework would include Zetterlund up there but not Eklund. There's a season's worth of games that separates those two and they all really clicked together. I don't expect that line to last the whole season or anything but I don't see why they'd start next season with them separated when that was the only forward line that had any sort of lasting chemistry and success. Part of insulating Celebrini and Smith is putting them underneath something at least partially established like that line. That and if you move Eklund down to either Celebrini or Smith's line, any other winger replacing him to eat top line minutes seems less likely to find any sort of success. Wennberg is pretty solid defensively but not at the top of the lineup. Nobody else has top line attributes of any kind unless Couture is healthy by some miracle, imo. If Laine is made available to the team, I can see him being a real option to fill that void to allow Eklund to play with either Celebrini or Smith but I'm not actually betting on him becoming available to the Sharks.

Kostin-Smith-Kunin
Goodrow-Sturm-Grundstrom

That 3rd line will certainly be protective of Smith but it'll be lacking offensively over the long term because Kunin sucks and has a lot of plays die on his stick and Kostin is an unknown. But at least this year's lineup will have a little more capability of guys being positives when they're moved around the lineup. Goodrow can sub in for Wennberg at times. Grundstrom can probably fill in for Kostin or Kunin pretty seamlessly. Dellandrea can probably slide in as a forechecker higher in the lineup on occasion. He probably just won't produce much.

Yea that was memory of it too - Heatley decline really started in the second year. Team Canada did pick all three Shark forwards but other than Marleau their Olympics wasn't all that great

I still remember the refs giving an accidental offside to Heatley on a breakaway when Vancouver passed it back into their zone.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I still remember the refs giving an accidental offside to Heatley on a breakaway when Vancouver passed it back into their zone.

Vancouver cleared the puck; it hit a Vancouver skate, went back into the zone, and was blown dead. Heatley appeared to scream against the call, but I think because it came back in off of a deflection that the ref actually made the right call.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Vancouver cleared the puck; it hit a Vancouver skate, went back into the zone, and was blown dead. Heatley appeared to scream against the call, but I think because it came back in off of a deflection that the ref actually made the right call.

They did the face off at center ice if my memory serves correct to indicate wrong call

They scenario you describe sounds like a good play to me. If it hit a Shark offside. But a Canuck is a good play

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Kostin-Smith-Kunin
Goodrow-Sturm-Grundstrom

I think that’s a pretty sensible lineup to start out with. I’d probably swap Kostin for Wennberg and Grundstrom for Kunin

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin - Celebrini - Toffoli
Wennberg - Smith - Grundstrom
Goodrow - Sturm - Kunin

But, I’m slicing hairs. The framework you described is basically how I’d start training camp and let it evolve from there. Also, as has been said already, Bordeleau, Dellandrea, and Guschin are going to have to elevate their game if they want playing time.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021

Feels like we're just talking in circles here. You say Laine is a bum who hasn't produced at a high level since his first couple of seasons, I provide data to show he's basically a PPG player over the last 3 seasons and now you say there's too many unknowns. Round and round we go. I guess at this point, we'll just have to see how Laine does this year. I think he's going to surprise you (and a lot of others, apparently).

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
What??

I don't know what counts as consensus around here but the only people I can recall who were disappointed were the folks who were expecting a Pizza line-level of success out of those 3. No, they weren't the Pizza line, but they were pretty dang effective at putting the puck in the net.

Team Canada seemed to think so anyway. 🙂

Attachments

• 20100302__olysharks3.jpg
    20100302__olysharks3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What??

I don't know what counts as consensus around here but the only people I can recall who were disappointed were the folks who were expecting a Pizza line-level of success out of those 3. No, they weren't the Pizza line, but they were pretty dang effective at putting the puck in the net.

Team Canada seemed to think so anyway. 🙂
Obviously everything is relative, but people expected Heatley to score 60 goals on Thornton’s wing. Instead Marleau popped off for his best offensive season. I could have scored 40 alongside #19 and #12 that season. And half of Heatley’s goals were on the PP.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
Obviously everything is relative, but people expected Heatley to score 60 goals on Thornton’s wing. Instead Marleau popped off for his best offensive season. I could have scored 40 alongside #19 and #12 that season. And half of Heatley’s goals were on the PP.
I think Jumbo could have made 40 goal scorers out of a lot of us. 😂

But I think Heatley deserves some credit for Patty's output that year too. There's a reason that Canada took all 3, which is pretty crazy when you think about all the guys they left off that year to bring F'n All Star.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I think that’s a pretty sensible lineup to start out with. I’d probably swap Kostin for Wennberg and Grundstrom for Kunin

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin - Celebrini - Toffoli
Wennberg - Smith - Grundstrom
Goodrow - Sturm - Kunin

But, I’m slicing hairs. The framework you described is basically how I’d start training camp and let it evolve from there. Also, as has been said already, Bordeleau, Dellandrea, and Guschin are going to have to elevate their game if they want playing time.
Personally I hope musty forces the sharks to keep him. He obviously has nhl size, looks great with smith and has little to gain with another year in the O. He is playing well in the showcase and looks borderline nhl ready. I hope they give him the 9 game tryout and he forces his way in.

If he does, he slots with smith nicely. They can have celly, smith, Granlund, Wennberg at C.

Keep the Lund line:
Granlund-Zetterlund-eklund
Celebrini-Toffoli-kostin/couture
Smith-musty- kunin (kunin does the dirty work there)
Wennberg-goodrow-strum as your defensive shutdown line
Grunstrom, Dellandrea, bordy, guschkin, cardwell all can compete for spots.

This is all if cooch is out. If he’s in, then a lot him with Celebrini and Toffoli.

I am excited for camp. Sooo many forwards competing for limited space and definitely many youngins hungry to force a tough choice….

Reactions: Sharksfan66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad