London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Now that the dust has settled, playing devil’s advocate here.

Did another passive deadline cost London a championship?

Generally teams who make Memorial Cup runs make large acquisitions. London’s acquisitions included Lawrence and Simpson for Bowen, 3, 8. Saginaw, OTOH, emptied the cupboards for rentals.

I’m not saying I think that they should have made large moves. Just trying to get some discussion going. I know that London is hitting .333 at Memorial Cups which is fine but it’s also annoying to lose when you’re likely the best team there (2012, 2024).

As an example, if you take Owen Beck off Saginaw and put him on London, you create a larger margin between you and the second best team there. The last time I saw London try to ice the best team at this tournament was 2005. Mark has been pretty passive with respect to rental moves since then, outside of the Tavares acquisition.

As far as the actual play on the ice, that was an embarrassing performance for a final game. You have 3 shots halfway through the game. A player takes a 5 minute penalty. I understand that London thinks Saginaw were these big run and gunners who you didn’t want to play that style with, but why do you approach a one game playoff so conservatively? You had already beaten them 5 games to 2 in May. Why are you so afraid of Saginaw? I’m very much not an arrogant media guy like a few here, so I’m very open to being disagreed with. Just trying to offer some different views for discussion purposes.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Generally teams who make Memorial Cup runs make large acquisitions. London’s acquisitions included Lawrence and Simpson for Bowen, 3, 8. Saginaw, OTOH, emptied the cupboards for rentals.

I’m not saying I think that they should have made large moves. Just trying to get some discussion going. I know that London is hitting .333 at Memorial Cups which is fine but it’s also annoying to lose when you’re likely the best team there (2012, 2024).

As an example, if you take Owen Beck off Saginaw and put him on London, you create a larger margin between you and the second best team there. The last time I saw London try to ice the best team at this tournament was 2005. Mark has been pretty passive with respect to rental moves since then, outside of the Tavares acquisition.

As far as the actual play on the ice, that was an embarrassing performance for a final game. You have 3 shots halfway through the game. A player takes a 5 minute penalty. I understand that London thinks Saginaw were these big run and gunners who you didn’t want to play that style with, but why do you approach a one game playoff so conservatively? You had already beaten them 5 games to 2 in May. Why are you so afraid of Saginaw? I’m very much not an arrogant media guy like a few here, so I’m very open to being disagreed with. Just trying to offer some different views for discussion purposes.
The roster was fine, they just needed to play smarter. Throwing an elbow in a game you're already down in and getting outshot badly is not the way to inspire your team. It dug them into a much deeper hole. On top of that, as much as I love Dale900, he was outcoached in the final.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Northern Quebec ( Abitibi Québec)

It wouldn't have made any difference, London Knights had the very best CHL team this past season. Give them another chance now with that very same team to play Saginaw for the Memorial Cup again, and they'd blow them right out of the water in that one more game. Even with a more active 4th line, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference, against Saginaw the way they were prepared. A team of talented players is great but for a one short game take all, the one game mind set above is what that makes the real difference, ask Windsor 2023 team

It's all about how you mentally prepare for that one short game final. Saginaw said their players would kill to win the cup, London said it was a game like all others, as it turned out, it wasn't. Had they accepted ex- Shawinigan assistant coach Danny Dupont's method back in 2014, London could have won it then as well. IMHO

London didn't need any more reinforcement to their team, they had the team to win it all, they just needed to approach that last game differently, that's all

Reactions: tjziel

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I've said before, and I'll say again, after this spring adventure league fiasco, London is ready for a pro hockey team, as much as they love their London Knights, this junior organization has outgrown the amatureship of a junior league front office. It'll come, it's a matter of time
I would have cashed out after 05 if I were Dale, Mark, Basil and Rob but Dale and Mark must love coaching and developing players. Plus in the last 20 years, their investment has to have gone up significantly.
OHL is a mickey mouse league in a lot of ways. People often forget Mark was suspended an entire year back in 2000 for sending a player out to fight. (Like no other coach has done that before). I would hold a grudge with Dave but that’s me. Getting to host again in 2014 was a favour done for the league as Windsor was their usual circus and Barrie was never a viable option. Shit load of good that did London. 40-45 years of Dave being judge, jury and executioner cannot come to a quick enough close. This past playoff was a complete gong show with the lack of transparency with respect to player discipline. Of course the OHL’s golden child should not have been playing for most of the playoffs and part of the cup after all his cheapshots yet he somehow won the D of the year award. If anyone truly thinks he’s ahead of Dickinson, you’re completely off your rocker.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
I would have cashed out after 05 if I were Dale, Mark, Basil and Rob but Dale and Mark must love coaching and developing players. Plus in the last 20 years, their investment has to have gone up significantly.
OHL is a mickey mouse league in a lot of ways. People often forget Mark was suspended an entire year back in 2000 for sending a player out to fight. (Like no other coach has done that before). I would hold a grudge with Dave but that’s me. Getting to host again in 2014 was a favour done for the league as Windsor was their usual circus and Barrie was never a viable option. Shit load of good that did London. 40-45 years of Dave being judge, jury and executioner cannot come to a quick enough close. This past playoff was a complete gong show with the lack of transparency with respect to player discipline. Of course the OHL’s golden child should not have been playing for most of the playoffs and part of the cup after all his cheapshots yet he somehow won the D of the year award. If anyone truly thinks he’s ahead of Dickinson, you’re completely off your rocker.
I can not disagree with you buddy, I am glad someone else is seeing it too, and has found the proper wordings to put it all down.

Cheers! And have yourselve a safe a great summer

Reactions: Ferguson Jenkins

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Can London financially support an NHL team? I don’t know if there would be enough interest in ECHL or AHL?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Can London financially support an NHL team? I don’t know if there would be enough interest in ECHL or AHL?
AHL I’m sure they could get, but they’re raking in the money as it is I don’t see why they’d do that. If anything they should expand the arena to fit more like 11k rather than the 9k

It’s just like Halifax and Quebec City in the Q, they could probably have AHL franchises too but NHL is another story.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Having spent plenty of time watching both the AHL and CHL, the AHL is a VASTLY inferior product from an entertainment standpoint. It’s just not the same kind of emotional investment. The rivalries aren’t the same. It’s just not fun hockey most nights. London COULD support an AHL team. You don’t want to though.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Why not? If Buffalo, NY can support an NHL team with 278 000 souls and a metro draw of 1 000 000, I can't see why London's 422 000 and 50-mile radius draw of 544 000 souls, if you add another 50 miles you reach Kitchener-Waterloo-Guelph Cambridge-Chatham and Sarnia for another near 1 000 000. Ya, I'd say London can and is ready to support a Pro hockey team, but it must be of the very high caliber AHL, no less

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
The NHL is not going to consider London, cmon now. Nor could London support it. Ya need more corporate cash.
OHL is a perfect fit here, don't care to see the AHL here and JMO but it would be far less profitable from earnings and franchise value pov

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

I think Saginaw just wanted it more in that moment.
Coulda added more but who knows on that day what happens.
They didn't change a game plan I don't think, just came out n let Saginaw dictate pace, and they had a higher GAF meter the first half of the game and held on.
Always interesting thou for discussion. Trying to keep it short lol

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
The NHL is not going to consider London, cmon now. Nor could London support it. Ya need more corporate cash.
OHL is a perfect fit here, don't care to see the AHL here and JMO but it would be far less profitable from earnings and franchise value pov
Thanks for your input, rve24, I hope you are not saying London corporates don't have cash, now, do you. Because if that is the case, what better way to push their name out for more business, unless they are happy staying small, that is. In other word, keep London a junior city

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Having spent plenty of time watching both the AHL and CHL, the AHL is a VASTLY inferior may have a little better quality product on the ice, but as far as but that is as far as it goes for me. Years ago, we went to Hamilton to watch a Hamilton Canucks game when Vancouver had their AHL team in Hamilton. Bought a program and they had a roster about 50 players , you had no idea who is playing for the most part assortment of players who may or may not even play that game because of call ups or send downs. At least at the OHL level, you have your roster you know who your players are and you know they’re gonna be playing when you go to the game on game night , there’s that. product from an entertainment standpoint. It’s just not the same kind of emotional investment. The rivalries aren’t the same. It’s just not fun hockey most nights. London COULD support an AHL team. You don’t want to though.
The calibre of AHL hockey is better than the OHL. But that’s where it ends for me as far as AHL hockey goes. Years ago, we went to a Hamilton Canucks game when Vancouver had their farm team in Hamilton. I bought a program only to find the roster was between 40 to 50 players on both teams. Why? Because on any given night, players that you expect to see play could be called up to the NHL or sent down to the East Coast league. So therefore, you have no idea who’s gonna be in the lineup, many nights. At least in the OHL, you have your roster in place for the season and except for injury or world juniors, etc, you know your star players or favourite players will be playing on game night.

I believe there’s value in that.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
The calibre of AHL hockey is better than the OHL. But that’s where it ends for me as far as AHL hockey goes. Years ago, we went to a Hamilton Canucks game when Vancouver had their farm team in Hamilton. I bought a program only to find the roster was between 40 to 50 players on both teams. Why? Because on any given night, players that you expect to see play could be called up to the NHL or sent down to the East Coast league. So therefore, you have no idea who’s gonna be in the lineup, many nights. At least in the OHL, you have your roster in place for the season and except for injury or world juniors, etc, you know your star players or favourite players will be playing on game night.

Thanks for your input, EvenSteven, always welcome to hear from you. Although you bring some truth, it's not however totally right. It must have had been early in training camp for an AHL team to carry 40 plus players, in my playing days, teams in IHL carried 22 players, I think today must be the same or maybe couple more to maybe 24–25 players. It's a business, I can't see teams carrying 40 players coming ahead in their bottom lines to survive. Players are paid according to their contracts signed from NHL on down to lower leagues, each league and teams follows a standard paying their players according to their roles on the team as well as their higher up individual contracts, it does changes for each league level. Yes, there are lots of call-ups back and forth from each level, AHL call on lower league players as well, and most NHL teams compensate by sending down regular players down for more seasoning, when injuries are not involved.

AHL is one step below the NHL professionalism, and all players have all been elite players in their respected junior teams back in their days, fans shouldn't have any problems following each player's progress as their careers moves along. The AHL is a League in progress, it improves their caliber of play and functionality, year after year, and are far away from the amateurish conducts we are accustomed to see in the Junior front offices. All three CHL junior league commissioners have been replaced in the past 18 months, retirement, maybe, but I truly doubt it, something else is happening that triggered it in that short of time, all 3 leagues (???). Cheers!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

When I was living in Lansing for a year, I was directly between GR and Flint. Had the option to go watch the Griffins who had Mantha, Bertuzzi etc at the time or see a pretty meh Firebirds team. I went to Flint. I’ve always said, if the OHL ever wanted to bring an OHL team out to GR, they’d get my money in a heart beat over the Griffins.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for your input, EvenSteven, always welcome to hear from you. Although you bring some truth, it's not however totally right. It must have had been early in training camp for an AHL team to carry 40 plus players, in my playing days, teams in IHL carried 22 players, I think today must be the same or maybe couple more to maybe 24–25 players. It's a business, I can't see teams carrying 40 players coming ahead in their bottom lines to survive. Players are paid according to their contracts signed from NHL on down to lower leagues, each league and teams follows a standard paying their players according to their roles on the team as well as their higher up individual contracts, it does changes for each league level. Yes, there are lots of call-ups back and forth from each level, AHL call on lower league players as well, and most NHL teams compensate by sending down regular players down for more seasoning, when injuries are not involved.

AHL is one step below the NHL professionalism, and all players have all been elite players in their respected junior teams back in their days, fans shouldn't have any problems following each player's progress as their careers moves along. The AHL is a League in progress, it improves their caliber of play and functionality, year after year, and are far away from the amateurish conducts we are accustomed to see in the Junior front offices. All three CHL junior league commissioners have been replaced in the past 18 months, retirement, maybe, but I truly doubt it, something else is happening that triggered it in that short of time, all 3 leagues (???). Cheers!

I agree they weren’t carrying that many players. But the program had that many listed. Likely because at some point during the season those players played at least a game with the team and would possibly appear in the lineup at times during the season.

My point was that as a fan, you’ll likely see a core group of 12 to 15 players on the roster with the remaining spots shuffling up and down between the leagues.

From a London point of view, if you buy a ticket for a Knights game next Friday night, you know that Easton Cowan is playing.

But buying a ticket for next Friday’s AHL game, that team’s Easton Cowan could be called up to the parent club and you and your son or daughter, who’s maybe wearing their Easton Cowan sweater wanting to see their favorite player play, will be disappointed.

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
I agree they weren’t carrying that many players. But the program had that many listed. Likely because at some point during the season those players played at least a game with the team and would possibly appear in the lineup at times during the season.

My point was that as a fan, you’ll likely see a core group of 12 to 15 players on the roster with the remaining spots shuffling up and down between the leagues.

From a London point of view, if you buy a ticket for a Knights game next Friday night, you know that Easton Cowan is playing.

But buying a ticket for next Friday’s AHL game, that team’s Easton Cowan could be called up to the parent club and you and your son or daughter, who’s maybe wearing their Easton Cowan sweater wanting to see their favorite player play, will be disappointed.
Well of course, if you are only going to the game to watch a player or two, I usually go to a game to watch a full team of talented players. I do understand what you mean though, and the disappointment of some fans might get at times, yes.

Reactions: EvenSteven

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

2024 NHL Combine results:​

Note: Sam Dickinson's Body Fat % was Less than 4%. Amazing!!
Wingspan (Inches)

wingspan.png

Body Composition by Percentage of Body Fat

body-composition-percentage-of-body-fat.png

50 per cent of Body Weight (Power – watts/kg)

Screenshot-2024-06-08-at-3.34.53-PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN and Fastpace

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Reactions: LDN and zman77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad