London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Northern Quebec ( Abitibi Québec)
What are you even talking about? My original post was asking a question about the memorial cup being a neutral tournament. Just an observation as a fan, guess it is pretty hard to understand though, cheering for a team who has never even sniffed the tournament.
There will never be a neutral tournament as long as there are going to be a host city team involved in it. Being a home team of a game on the ice, does not mean taking over the host team's building and everything they own. Cheers!

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
There will never be a neutral tournament as long as there are going to be a host city team involved in it. Being a home team of a game on the ice, does not mean taking over the host team's building and everything they own. Cheers!
Totally, I agree with all of that. I was being sarcastic in my reply to the other teams fan asking if I wanted their dressing room. There are obviously perks to being the host team and there should be, their fans get first crack at tickets, they get the home ice advantage, sleep in their own beds, etc. etc. That is all totally the way it should be for a host.

My original annoyance came in, when I bought tickets and on the seating chart it said Home Team shoots twice, so I bought at that end knowing London was the home team. Turned out, that wasn't the case, because Saginaw retained their normal bench. Then after that annoyance, it stemmed to be asking about the in game audio/video presentation being neutral, because I seem to remember at other tournaments I have been at, that there was no "Go Host Team Go" chants on the scoreboard etc.

I am by no means saying this is why London lost as another teams fan seems to think, just simply an observation and a question.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
I have almost never been more certain that the line up looks something like this:

Barkey, Import (1), Cowan(2)
O'Rielly, Julien(OA), Nicholl
R.Boulton, Van Gorp, Johnston
Van Bommel, Bidgood, Arrowsmith
Hawery(3)

Dickinson, Bonk
Leonard (OA), Brzustewicz
Wooley, Ustinkov
Jenken, P.j. Fagan

Willmore (OA)
Medvedev

This year proved that if you are able to bring in talent organically (O'Rielly, Nicholl, Wooley etc) then you dont need to trade much. This year we picked up Simpson and KLAW for scraps and they were impact players, likely the same thing happens next year. We make a few trades to get a bit older and to give some players a chance as we are too young and talented at this point. We need to get older and a bit grittier on FWD. Should have the best 5 on the ice for a power play ala Mouse Jaw with:

Barkey O'Reilly Cowan
Bonk Dickinson

Notes:
(1) We should be looking at drafting two imports and getting one over this summer, it is imperative we get an impact player to replace Haltunnen. If Ustinkov stays in Switzerland then we have the space for two on FWD as deep is so deep already.

(2) Cowan needs to get bigger and stronger, nothing else keeping him from the NHL but there is no way he would get the same time and space and therefor I think he gets his full 9 games to test his weaknesses. Then returns as WJC captain, then Knights.

- On WJC topic we should be sending Cowan, Barkey, Bonk, Dickinson and HM O'Reilly/Brzustewicz as possible call ups.... HC is kinda a mess so maybe they dont see the value in pulling 4/5 from one team but they will be that good!

(3) Hawery sees like a player that can play now but why fix a perfect system... junior b like O'Reilly and Barkey.... did not hurt their development at all!

Defense will be as good if not better next year, George is ridiculously good but all others will improve.

Goaltending is fine if we have space for OA Willmore, if he falters at all (I think he will be really good) then go trade for Lalonde for a bug of used jock straps... there is no other player on saginaw i would want or need.
Excellent post :thumbu:

Reactions: LDN

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Don't think the Rangers needs to buy much this year to improve from last year, even with an empty cupboard, they will be an improvement over last season, fun to watch if anything. With one more year behind in experience and newly developed players coming in to fill for departed ones, they will be a very strong team and a project in progression as the season advances. If anything, defense might be an issue, only because I didn't follow them as much as I did their forwards. Kitchener fans, don't be too harsh on your favorite team, you will be in for a pleasant surprised. Cheers!
Rangers lose too much quality this year that’ll be replaced with players of not near the quality.

Our 05’s last year (Rehkopf, Andonovski, Savard, Sale) were a good complement to the OA/04 group (Sop, Martin, Brzustewicz, Mesar, Parsons, Motew), most of which will graduate this year.

Our 06’s (Bottineau, Ellinas, Dirracolo, Campbell) aren’t near the quality to give next year’s OA/05 group the same support. We’ll be playing too many young players in more important roles.

Couple all this with the empty draft pick cupboard, and the word SELL has to be emblazoned across MM’s forehead this upcoming season.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Totally, I agree with all of that. I was being sarcastic in my reply to the other teams fan asking if I wanted their dressing room. There are obviously perks to being the host team and there should be, their fans get first crack at tickets, they get the home ice advantage, sleep in their own beds, etc. etc. That is all totally the way it should be for a host.

My original annoyance came in, when I bought tickets and on the seating chart it said Home Team shoots twice, so I bought at that end knowing London was the home team. Turned out, that wasn't the case, because Saginaw retained their normal bench. Then after that annoyance, it stemmed to be asking about the in game audio/video presentation being neutral, because I seem to remember at other tournaments I have been at, that there was no "Go Host Team Go" chants on the scoreboard etc.

I am by no means saying this is why London lost as another teams fan seems to think, just simply an observation and a question.
I do think the tickets should have reflected the correct end, when i purchased my tickets i was also confused but figured i would have at least been in the right end for one of the games had the knights been in the Friday and Sunday final. It was a bit weird with the Saginaw dressing room accommodations as well but I think it’s reflective of them never putting on anything like this before.

Security didn’t issue appropriate wrist bands to all family members and didn’t separate the teams properly. But all in all great hosts and great hockey, and grows the game.

Reactions: TheOrangePylon

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
IMG_7104.png

It looks like Flint wants to be the new Saginaw. Must be something in the water.

• Haha
Reactions: LDN and dmead

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
I do think the tickets should have reflected the correct end, when i purchased my tickets i was also confused but figured i would have at least been in the right end for one of the games had the knights been in the Friday and Sunday final. It was a bit weird with the Saginaw dressing room accommodations as well but I think it’s reflective of them never putting on anything like this before.

Security didn’t issue appropriate wrist bands to all family members and didn’t separate the teams properly. But all in all great hosts and great hockey, and grows the game.
For sure! I did enjoy the building and the atmosphere of the game was terrific.
The arena definitely had some weird quirks because of the size of the event, like where they had TSN setup you couldn't do a full circle of the arena, only a U. Post game was really weird, they forced everyone out the 2 end stairways and it created a big bottleneck. Neither a big deal, just created some weird traffic flow.

The property the building is on and the outdoor space was perfect for the event though, the hall of fame setup was cool with the theatre and the stage across the way with live bands and green space for viewing was great. They really put on a good overall event.

Reactions: GoKnightsGo44

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Correct me if i am wrong but that seems like a lot of assets for an OA F under 1.0 PPG, OA D under 0.5 PPG and a 19y.o D under 0.5 PPG. All of which played on a strong Sudbury team last year...
I agree it may be a slight overpay but they get them for a full season and it’s important to know that they didn’t play as high up in the depth chart as they would’ve with other teams. Flint is not deep at all. They’ll play a lot more and very likely produce more

Reactions: dirty12

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Rangers lose too much quality this year that’ll be replaced with players of not near the quality.

Our 05’s last year (Rehkopf, Andonovski, Savard, Sale) were a good complement to the OA/04 group (Sop, Martin, Brzustewicz, Mesar, Parsons, Motew), most of which will graduate this year.

Our 06’s (Bottineau, Ellinas, Dirracolo, Campbell) aren’t near the quality to give next year’s OA/05 group the same support. We’ll be playing too many young players in more important roles.

Couple all this with the empty draft pick cupboard, and the word SELL has to be emblazoned across MM’s forehead this upcoming season.
It's a league of progressing development, players learn as the season moves along, the team you see at the start will be one season older comes playoffs time. I like what I'm seeing from the Rangers two drafts ago, and they are coming up to their prime. Many experts didn't think Kitchener would make the playoffs, well, they were wrong, and my last check they finished in OHL 6th overall spot one point behind North Bay, they were pushing for first a good half of the season. Some good players are moving on, but also some great players are moving in and up the Ranger's team echelon. I don't know how far they will go this year in the playoffs, but they will be right up there with the bests of the league. A while back in the season I mentioned this upcoming season was going to be Kitchener's, at that time I was not aware of their draft cupboard position, so it may be delayed one year for their go-to year. The roof at the Auditorium will have to cave in for the Rangers not having a good year this upcoming season.

IMHO Cheers! And have yourself a safe and great summer

• Haha
Reactions: All the Answers

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I will say, being 2-4 in Memorial Cups kind of sucks. Would be nice to have 1-2 more wins. Other teams have made the most of their appearances. Not sure if it’s all random or if there’s anything more that could have been done. Probably random. I dunno.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I will say, being 2-4 in Memorial Cups kind of sucks. Would be nice to have 1-2 more wins. Other teams have made the most of their appearances. Not sure if it’s all random or if there’s anything more that could have been done. Probably random. I dunno.
I get what you’re saying. However there is teams without a championship or have been to the league finals. You guys are doing ok.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
With the exception of the 2014 team maybe its a situation where they are built for a Championship run not a 4 game tournament. Hosts have the benefit of building for the tournament and regularly have success. Just a theory.. The goalposts for success are definitely different between the two formats..

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Some teams struggle just to make the playoffs one out of every 3 years. Meanwhile London goes to the Memorial Cup one out of every 3 years.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
We are spoiled here in London. Still hurts the same when you lose. But we are very spoiled. 6 Memorial cup appearances in the last 19 years and 2 wins. Not bad......not bad at all.

Actually that is crazy good. 😜
Yes 2 for 6 is impressive, should note Windsor 3 cup appearances in the last 15 years and are 3 -0,and have won 12 straight games doing so,London had 7 straight wins at Mem Cup till the other night.
Going into the Mem Cup final game Windsor had more cups then the rest of the OHL combined for the past 14 years,however with Saginaw winning and 2 Ontario teams in the final I knew that distinction would be over,so now London,Oshawa and Saginaw have evened Windsor's 3 Mem Cups wins on the past 15 years.

Reactions: Fastpace

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Yes 2 for 6 is impressive, should note Windsor 3 cup appearances in the last 15 years and are 3 -0,and have won 12 straight games doing so,London had 7 straight wins at Mem Cup till the other night.
Going into the Mem Cup final game Windsor had more cups then the rest of the OHL combined for the past 14 years,however with Saginaw winning and 2 Ontario teams in the final I knew that distinction would be over,so now London,Oshawa and Saginaw have evened Windsor's 3 Mem Cups wins on the past 15 years.
They've also had more:
1) Sanctions against them
2) Owners forced to sell the team
3) Rookies locked in bathrooms on buses
4) broomstick shoved up asses
5) Seasons out of the playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastpace

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Oh FFS.... you cant let anybody have anything can you?

Ps. You should have read the sentence I didnt type...

Reactions: Slowpace and Otto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad