London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I am a huge Dickinson fan. But no way no chance is he not back next year. He isn’t ready for the NHL. See how many times he iced the puck? He still has a lot to develop at the junior level. He will be back and grow his game. He has yet to add a physical component to his game (hits, fights, but of nasty). He only uses his physical to separate puck from player. He still needs to work on his poise,and his offence. But he is only 17 and he’s been one of our best D. I look forward to seeing him flourish as a Knight in the coming years.
I agree. I actually think Bonk has a better chance of sticking although admittedly I'm not as familiar with the Knights as the people on here.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I am a huge Dickinson fan. But no way no chance is he not back next year. He isn’t ready for the NHL. See how many times he iced the puck? He still has a lot to develop at the junior level. He will be back and grow his game. He has yet to add a physical component to his game (hits, fights, but of nasty). He only uses his physical to separate puck from player. He still needs to work on his poise,and his offence. But he is only 17 and he’s been one of our best D. I look forward to seeing him flourish as a Knight in the coming years.
NHL teams always want cheap talent regardless of readiness. But I don’t disagree with your overall point.

Reactions: Knights77

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Kitchener was a year ahead of themselves this year so I see them being real tough next year. And SSM always shows up.
Kitchener should be a middle of the conference team with what they have returning. The problem is that their draft pick cupboard is beyond bare.

They cannot buy. Period. So, if they want to compete in the future, they have to sell assets to rebuild the draft cupboard.

Currently, they have no picks in rounds 2 through 6 in the next draft and no picks in rounds 2 through 5 in the ‘26 and ‘27 drafts.

That is bar none, the worst draft pick situation league wide. Worst.

Reactions: All the Answers

mlzy

Sponsor
Feb 7, 2009
Both games vs. Saginaw in the tournament, McCue during the ceremonial face off knew London was the home team and quickly won the draw and picked up the puck. A little gamesmanship for sure, but it is his right as the home team. That is why if I am London staff, I am saying give me the "home" bench, just to see if I can shake them up a little bit, try and make them a bit uncomfortable playing as the away team in their home barn these teams were tight so take any edge you can.
Do you want their dressing room also?

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
My guess as to what the team could potentially look like next year:

Forwards: Barkey, julien, arrowsmith, gerber, mcnamara, van gorp, nicholl, bidgood, o'reilly,

Goaltenders: willmore, medvedev
Defense: pj fagan, bonk, Jenken, Dickinson?, H.B, jared woolley.

Overages potentially: edward? Leonard?
** hawery hasn't signed so didn't include him
No clue on status on imports, halttunen could go ahl, gazizov could come back or graduate. Ustinkov could come depending on who selects him. Add in whoever we select in import draft. Could potentially trade for a goalie. Plus trade for goal scorers

Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Northern Quebec ( Abitibi Québec)
Kitchener should be a middle of the conference team with what they have returning. The problem is that their draft pick cupboard is beyond bare.

They cannot buy. Period. So, if they want to compete in the future, they have to sell assets to rebuild the draft cupboard.

Currently, they have no picks in rounds 2 through 6 in the next draft and no picks in rounds 2 through 5 in the ‘26 and ‘27 drafts.

That is bar none, the worst draft pick situation league wide. Worst.
Don't think the Rangers needs to buy much this year to improve from last year, even with an empty cupboard, they will be an improvement over last season, fun to watch if anything. With one more year behind in experience and newly developed players coming in to fill for departed ones, they will be a very strong team and a project in progression as the season advances. If anything, defense might be an issue, only because I didn't follow them as much as I did their forwards. Kitchener fans, don't be too harsh on your favorite team, you will be in for a pleasant surprised. Cheers!

• Haha
Reactions: All the Answers

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
For those that failed to read and were not giving Fastpace the proper respects on his Memorial Cup prediction. Here is what I wrote before the tournament on May 17th in response to a Drummondville fan's (Squats) replying to my earlier Quebec league champions comment of an earlier post prediction, read the last paragraph:

[IMG alt="Fastpace"]https://hfboards-data.community.forum/avatars/l/256/256483.jpg?1711121827[/IMG]

Fastpace

Registered User​

Jul 25, 20156,1594,127Usa

Same thing was said for the Thunderbirds last year, yet Quebec shut them down 4-0. Anything can happen in a tournament like this
Last year is long gone, this is this year, last year's players moved on, different group of players and different situation. I am not looking at one team and the players on that team, I am looking at the overall picture, the overall calibre of each league. The competition in the Qs is not as strong as in other leagues this year, as they had been the dominating league for 4 or 5 years.

One game round-robin against each team, it's very short, the only way for Drummondville and Moose Jaw is to win, it's with short game emotions, grab the momentum early and run with it, don't give it back to the end, because if they do, they will be flattened with steamrollers by London and Saginaw. London/Saginaw will be in the final, between these two teams, my gut feeling tells me the loser of their round-robin game, will come back to win the Memorial Cup.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
My guess as to what the team could potentially look like next year:

Forwards: Barkey, julien, arrowsmith, gerber, mcnamara, van gorp, nicholl, bidgood, o'reilly,

Goaltenders: willmore, medvedev
Defense: pj fagan, bonk, Jenken, Dickinson?, H.B, jared woolley.

Overages potentially: edward? Leonard?
** hawery hasn't signed so didn't include him
No clue on status on imports, halttunen could go ahl, gazizov could come back or graduate. Ustinkov could come depending on who selects him. Add in whoever we select in import draft. Could potentially trade for a goalie. Plus trade for goal scorers
Now with this season over and this team is dissolved, we can talk about individual players until a new team is formed for next year.

If Willmore has difficulty with back to back games and Medvedev takes the crease away, Willmore will be traded, I don't think the Hunters will want an overage tied up to the crease next year

Don't forget Leonard will be back, we know Jared Woolley will be a steady work horse next year for the Knights, but what I am excited to see is newcomers Jenken and pj Fagan and what they'll do in the backend, and also how Henry Brzustewicz in a regular role will fare on the backend

Next year will be Nicholl's coming out year productively on a regular top 6 line, there is no doubt he is primed to start producing. Van Gorp and Ryder Boulton will also progress to third line duties. Who ever the Knights will have coming back up front next year, they will still be strong, and they have enough in their development seats to fill in or trade in for top 6 players to replace departed forwards London should still be a top team comes playoffs time again next year. Cheers ! You all have a safe and a great summer

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
This is Easton Cowan commenting before the game, listen to what he is saying:

And this is Josh Bloom commenting before the same game, and listen to what he's saying here:

Noticed the difference, as it turned out, it wasn't like any other game the Knights were prepared for, and controlling the emotions.
And for Saginaw, the importance to start fast, stay out of the penalty box and play the game as they never play before.
I think this is bang on, we didn't start on time. Its a tough balance between being calm and relaxed which limits the stress that can lead to big mistakes, but without that pressure you might not have the same level of drive to bring it. We were in a different mindset than Saginaw and we got there in the third period but we made it hard on ourselves.

This is was not just normal game prep it was the MEMORIAL ******** CUP!!!!

Reactions: LDN and Fastpace

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I have almost never been more certain that the line up looks something like this:

Barkey, Import (1), Cowan(2)
O'Rielly, Julien(OA), Nicholl
R.Boulton, Van Gorp, Johnston
Van Bommel, Bidgood, Arrowsmith
Hawery(3)

Dickinson, Bonk
Leonard (OA), Brzustewicz
Wooley, Ustinkov
Jenken, P.j. Fagan

Willmore (OA)
Medvedev

This year proved that if you are able to bring in talent organically (O'Rielly, Nicholl, Wooley etc) then you dont need to trade much. This year we picked up Simpson and KLAW for scraps and they were impact players, likely the same thing happens next year. We make a few trades to get a bit older and to give some players a chance as we are too young and talented at this point. We need to get older and a bit grittier on FWD. Should have the best 5 on the ice for a power play ala Mouse Jaw with:

Barkey O'Reilly Cowan
Bonk Dickinson

Notes:
(1) We should be looking at drafting two imports and getting one over this summer, it is imperative we get an impact player to replace Haltunnen. If Ustinkov stays in Switzerland then we have the space for two on FWD as deep is so deep already.

(2) Cowan needs to get bigger and stronger, nothing else keeping him from the NHL but there is no way he would get the same time and space and therefor I think he gets his full 9 games to test his weaknesses. Then returns as WJC captain, then Knights.

- On WJC topic we should be sending Cowan, Barkey, Bonk, Dickinson and HM O'Reilly/Brzustewicz as possible call ups.... HC is kinda a mess so maybe they dont see the value in pulling 4/5 from one team but they will be that good!

(3) Hawery sees like a player that can play now but why fix a perfect system... junior b like O'Reilly and Barkey.... did not hurt their development at all!

Defense will be as good if not better next year, George is ridiculously good but all others will improve.

Goaltending is fine if we have space for OA Willmore, if he falters at all (I think he will be really good) then go trade for Lalonde for a bug of used jock straps... there is no other player on saginaw i would want or need.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
What are you even talking about? My original post was asking a question about the memorial cup being a neutral tournament. Just an observation as a fan, guess it is pretty hard to understand though, cheering for a team who has never even sniffed the tournament.
I think the host should have the right to be bias, playing the teams goal song and introduce each team the same at the beginning of the game is enough... I really liked the atmosphere in Saginaw it was awesome!

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Some photos of the weekend, remember this for a lifetime, great time to be a knights fan!

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7424.jpeg
    IMG_7424.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0764.jpeg
    IMG_0764.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7406.jpeg
    IMG_7406.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7419.jpeg
    IMG_7419.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 2

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
We also won't have a hard time restocking the draft stock with Mangone, Willis, Parekh, etc etc

Agreed. Would you not agree though that as things look right now (1220 today) you are in worse draft capital position then Kitchener which was what my original response was in regards to?

Reactions: Fastpace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad