Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Reinbacher and Mailloux are already our young RD with 1RD potential!

Would be good to swap Matheson for a veteran top 4 RD, maybe more D oriented…but I think they stick with Guhle there for the next 2 years to see if they have that RD option internally.

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Barron

Could be our top 6 in 2 years. All LD/RD pairings with both offense and defence on each.

Mailloux, Reinbacher and Hutson have to show top 4 potential though

Which is already a lock at this point. Mailloux was ceiling seems to trend toward top2-3.

Still can believe a professional said he was an AHL last year.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Scin10 can simp for bargainbin all he wants, we all know his true worth, buddy:

Polish-20230625-221441546.png

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The tools are all there for him to be a really good player. The question will be if he can reach that level.

He's only 21, but he didn't play a lot of games in junior and only 72 games in the AHL. I feel like coaching and development is a little extra important for him.

I don't see him NHL ready quite yet.
To be fair, he needs 3 more years of pro play to know the player we have. Rule of thumb, takes 4 years

Reactions: Tuggy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To be fair, he needs 3 more years of pro play to know the player we have. Rule of thumb, takes 4 years
Mailloux should make team sometime this year. In rookie tourney, Mailloux was our second best D after Hutson. His shot and size stood out. He looked better than Reinbacher to me. Engstrom looked better at times than Reinbacher actually. Has more offensive upside, better hands. I ranked Reinbacher our 4th best D prospect. Short tourney though.

Reactions: HabsAddict

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Mailloux should make team sometime this year. In rookie tourney, Mailloux was our second best D after Hutson. His shot and size stood out. He looked better than Reinbacher to me. Engstrom looked better at times than Reinbacher actually. Has more offensive upside, better hands. I ranked Reinbacher our 4th best D prospect. Short tourney though.
The next couple of years we really start to see what we have on D , and hopefully there are 1D and 3D guys to go with a likely 2D, Guhle

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
I have to say, I hate to harp on a young player, I've seen Mailloux play in all NHL games, a few Junior games and a few in Laval. He has NHL size, NHL shot, good hands, decent offence but every time I watch him play I am always and I mean always wanting more out of him. I don't know what it is but I don't feel like he is a winning player. He may play in the NHL but I think he will always be one of those players who should be better than he is but never really gets there. Hope I am wrong, because he has everything going for him

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I found he was fairly invisible yesterday, but in his case that could be a good thing. He's often criticized for bad decision making and his defensive game, but he kept things very simply yesterday. He was effective, but not in a noticeable way.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I found he was fairly invisible yesterday, but in his case that could be a good thing. He's often criticized for bad decision making and his defensive game, but he kept things very simply yesterday. He was effective, but not in a noticeable way.
Yep. I only saw the first half of the game but I saw and thought the same thing. He irons out his defensive game then he's gonna be a beauty of a 2nd pairing guy.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really like Mailman for all his attributes especially his willingness to mix it up.

He's nowhere near as impressive as Hutson but he's as offensive minded as Matheson. Right now offensively he's behind Hutson, Matheson but ahead of everyone else offensively. Defensively he's a 6-7 on the team.

I think a huge difference will be him getting use to a really good defensive partner. If they put Mailman and Guhle together, they might as keep him up. Guhle will be playing on his natural side and probably show far more offense while helping Mailman improve his defensive game.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
I have to say, I hate to harp on a young player, I've seen Mailloux play in all NHL games, a few Junior games and a few in Laval. He has NHL size, NHL shot, good hands, decent offence but every time I watch him play I am always and I mean always wanting more out of him. I don't know what it is but I don't feel like he is a winning player. He may play in the NHL but I think he will always be one of those players who should be better than he is but never really gets there. Hope I am wrong, because he has everything going for him
Your description reminded me of Vladimir Malakhov, who actually might not be a bad comp for Mailloux...

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Has all the physical attributes you need and all the time in the world to mature in the ahl. Needs reps and ice time does not seem confident yet.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
A full year in Laval playing 20-25 minutes a night is the best thing that could happen for Logan.

Reactions: Redux91

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Personally I would have no issue with Logan playing another half season in Laval. There is no rush.
Reinbacher will play the entire year in Laval, he hasn't turned 20 yet.
Barron turns 23 soon...give him one last hard look.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I have been using Malakhov as his comp for two years. So many similarities.
One significant difference, Malakhov was an elite skater - something Mailloux is not.

While he was better, more confident and more engaged against the Devils than he was against the Flyers, Mailloux showed his tendency of making unfortunate plays when pressed in the defensive zone. He also had difficulty controlling opposing forwards along the boards and boxing them out in front of the net. On a positive note, Mailloux has come a long way from the passive defensive approach that infected his play in London and Laval. He now closes the gap with purpose on attacking forwards.

Unless his progression is somehow accelerated over the remaining exhibition games, Mailloux will start the year in Laval where he should be expected to be a dominant player. Mailloux is steadily overcoming those lost development years due to injury, COVID and suspension. While I am confident he will see some action for the Canadiens this year, next year will be the big test. If he still a marginal prospect by next training camp, Mailloux’s future with the Canadiens will be, at the very best, unpromising.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad