Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark Traded to Senators

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Don Sweeney and the Bruins made an expected, but big move Monday night, trading away goaltender Linus Ullmark to the Ottawa Senators.

The rise of 25-year-old goaltender Jeremy Swayman as the number one option for the Bruins in net meant that Ullmark’s days were numbered. After reportedly trying to deal Ullmark at the deadline to the Los Angeles Kings this season, the Bruins found their partner and moved on from one-half of their lauded goalie rotation.

In return, the Bruins received a 2024 first-round draft pick (No. 25), along with veteran goaltender Joonas Korpisalo and forward Mark Kastelic.

Two former Bruins, Mike Milbury and Andrew Raycroft, weighed in on the trade Tuesday morning on The Greg Hill Show and Gresh & Fauria, respectively.

Milbury, who gave the trade a B- grade, told Greg Hill that the trade was not “a steal by any stretch of the imagination.” Listen to the full segment above.

“They downgrade their second goalie, but he’s OK, and they pick up a chip with Kastelic who can play on the fourth line – he needs to get his wheels going a little bit better – and they roll the dice with a first-round pick. … It’s not a huge haul,” Milbury said.

Hill asked Milbury whether he thought Sweeney, who was “in a pickle” given Ullmark’s no-trade list, did the best he could.

"The position he was in was the position he was in because he put himself in that,” Millbury said.

He gave him half the league not to trade him. I guess LA was one of the teams you couldn’t trade him to, so you got to live with that. That’s the price you pay when you’re dealing with a free agent. You sell your soul to the devil when you try to sign these guys. Usually, you overpay and give them more protection than maybe they should have gotten.

“In the end it all works out. I think Swayman should be the number one guy. I think Korpisalo is certainly a 1A, 1B, he’s a seasoned professional. I wish it was a little less on the money side. If I was one of the Bruins goaltenders in the organization, I’d be not particularly happy today.”

Raycroft had a much more positive outlook on the return the Bruins got when appearing on Gresh & Fauria. Listen to the full segment above.

“The trade market for goaltending is just different,” Raycroft said. “There’s a lot of guys that can play goal and it has to be a right fit, it has to be the perfect fit.

If you thought they were going to get a top-10 pick for Linus Ullmark, a guy who played 40 games last season, didn’t play any games in the playoff run basically, you’re really reaching. And if you’re upset about it, that’s kind of your own fault for setting expectations not in a proper place.”

Raycroft saw the move by the Bruins as a solid return for a move that Sweeney had to make.

“[Ullmark] needed to go play somewhere else and they found a way to do that, open up some cap space,” he said. “They got a backup goaltender now, they got a veteran guy who was and has been very good in this league to help Swayman and keep that tandem going. And they got a guy up front that’s big and strong and who’s fought the toughest guys in the National Hockey League.”

“It's a win for me because you had to trade Linus Ullmark. It just wasn’t going to work to have him come back. And the longer the deal doesn’t get done, the less places there are for Linus to go, the harder it is.”

Raycroft also agreed with Christian Fauria that Ullmark’s pedigree as the winner of the 2023 Vezina Trophy for the Bruins set unrealistic expectations for the trade.

“Listen, the trophy’s nice and amazing, the All-Star Game last year, the 40 wins, his season was incredible a year and a half ago but that was a year and a half ago,” Razor said. “I understand the Vezina Trophy, but I don’t think that registered with the teams that wanted or didn’t want Linus. It was about what he’s done over the last 12 months, which is really good and he played really well. The Bruins didn’t have as much leverage on this as what was the perception with some people.”
This sound like what most of the positive posters feel, I guess we are not the only idiots that are taking this as a lets see approach

Reactions: Tbaybruin

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If you thought they were going to get a top-10 pick for Linus Ullmark, a guy who played 40 games last season, didn’t play any games in the playoff run basically, you’re really reaching. And if you’re upset about it, that’s kind of your own fault for setting expectations not in a proper place.”

Ray been reading this board?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Rather have retained on Ullmark 50% and gotten a good return with no cap dumps coming back. Maybe could have expanded the possible suitors going that route.

How Korpisalo plays on the Bruins has nothing to do with how bad the trade is.

Many goalies in the league are going to look competent playing behind this team. That doesn’t change the fact that the Bruins just took on a guy with negative league value for free.

Spot on. Not sure how people keep missing this point.

Reactions: Gordoff

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Don Sweeney and the Bruins made an expected, but big move Monday night, trading away goaltender Linus Ullmark to the Ottawa Senators.

The rise of 25-year-old goaltender Jeremy Swayman as the number one option for the Bruins in net meant that Ullmark’s days were numbered. After reportedly trying to deal Ullmark at the deadline to the Los Angeles Kings this season, the Bruins found their partner and moved on from one-half of their lauded goalie rotation.

In return, the Bruins received a 2024 first-round draft pick (No. 25), along with veteran goaltender Joonas Korpisalo and forward Mark Kastelic.

Two former Bruins, Mike Milbury and Andrew Raycroft, weighed in on the trade Tuesday morning on The Greg Hill Show and Gresh & Fauria, respectively.

Milbury, who gave the trade a B- grade, told Greg Hill that the trade was not “a steal by any stretch of the imagination.” Listen to the full segment above.

“They downgrade their second goalie, but he’s OK, and they pick up a chip with Kastelic who can play on the fourth line – he needs to get his wheels going a little bit better – and they roll the dice with a first-round pick. … It’s not a huge haul,” Milbury said.

Hill asked Milbury whether he thought Sweeney, who was “in a pickle” given Ullmark’s no-trade list, did the best he could.

"The position he was in was the position he was in because he put himself in that,” Millbury said.

He gave him half the league not to trade him. I guess LA was one of the teams you couldn’t trade him to, so you got to live with that. That’s the price you pay when you’re dealing with a free agent. You sell your soul to the devil when you try to sign these guys. Usually, you overpay and give them more protection than maybe they should have gotten.

“In the end it all works out. I think Swayman should be the number one guy. I think Korpisalo is certainly a 1A, 1B, he’s a seasoned professional. I wish it was a little less on the money side. If I was one of the Bruins goaltenders in the organization, I’d be not particularly happy today.”

Raycroft had a much more positive outlook on the return the Bruins got when appearing on Gresh & Fauria. Listen to the full segment above.

“The trade market for goaltending is just different,” Raycroft said. “There’s a lot of guys that can play goal and it has to be a right fit, it has to be the perfect fit.

Raycroft saw the move by the Bruins as a solid return for a move that Sweeney had to make.

“[Ullmark] needed to go play somewhere else and they found a way to do that, open up some cap space,” he said. “They got a backup goaltender now, they got a veteran guy who was and has been very good in this league to help Swayman and keep that tandem going. And they got a guy up front that’s big and strong and who’s fought the toughest guys in the National Hockey League.”

“It's a win for me because you had to trade Linus Ullmark. It just wasn’t going to work to have him come back. And the longer the deal doesn’t get done, the less places there are for Linus to go, the harder it is.”

Raycroft also agreed with Christian Fauria that Ullmark’s pedigree as the winner of the 2023 Vezina Trophy for the Bruins set unrealistic expectations for the trade.

“Listen, the trophy’s nice and amazing, the All-Star Game last year, the 40 wins, his season was incredible a year and a half ago but that was a year and a half ago,” Razor said. “I understand the Vezina Trophy, but I don’t think that registered with the teams that wanted or didn’t want Linus. It was about what he’s done over the last 12 months, which is really good and he played really well. The Bruins didn’t have as much leverage on this as what was the perception with some people.”
Raycroft is pretty spot on from my point of view.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Nope, I think most if not all people here expect him to be better if he plays.

Thats not the point right now.
I mean if Korpi does come in and play well it certainly turns this trade around a bit.

Rather have retained on Ullmark 50% and gotten a good return with no cap dumps coming back. Maybe could have expanded the possible suitors going that route.
Actually one of the better alternatives I've seen on here. Wonder what kind of return that could have got them

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I mean if Korpi does come in and play well it certainly turns this trade around a bit.
A bit, yes. Even if he plays great in Boston and recoups his value on the market I dont think any return for him is going to change peoples view of the deal.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
A bit, yes. Even if he plays great in Boston and recoups his value on the market I dont think any return for him is going to change peoples view of the deal.
More of a commentary on posters than it is on the deal. If a trade you don't like works out, or vice versa, I think we should be more open to changing our original outlook.

If they recoup some value from Korpi then that's a smart move, I do have a lot of trust in Essensa, seems to always bring the best out of guys.

I would love to ask raycroft two questions

1. Why does he think Ullmark had to be traded

2. If he thinks korpisalo is a 1A / 1B then why did no other team in the league want korpisalos services at $3m AAV
Although probably correct, you have no idea if any other team wanted Korpisalo at that price.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
It's hilarious how Sweeney goes from hero to zero and back again and so on here on a constant basis.
I remember when he signed Ullmark from Buffalo people screamed for his head on a platter claiming it was a massive overpay for a mediocre goalie. Then he won a Vezina. Now it's we got robbed by Ottawa. Too funny.
I will be loving it when Korpisalo bounces back and plays good hockey as a back up and Kastelic becomes a fan favorite. (The pick who knows.) The love/hate for Sweeney just cracks me up though. Every year.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Bruins should have received at least what Markstrom went for at the minimum considering the Bruins traded a #1G to a division rival. Bruins should have also received compensation for taking on Korpisalo's contract.

Did the Bruins really need a 1st round pick in a weak draft? Kastelic is a nice addition to the 4th line, but he's not worth trading a #1G who in a tandem with Swayman carried the Bruins last season. Bruins only gained $1.165M in cap space. Was the move really worth ruining what was a strength last season?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
More of a commentary on posters than it is on the deal. If a trade you don't like works out, or vice versa, I think we should be more open to changing our original outlook.

If they recoup some value from Korpi then that's a smart move, I do have a lot of trust in Essensa, seems to always bring the best out of guys.
How did the Ottawa Senators view Korpisalo's value prior to yesterday? Did they consider him an overpaid contributor to their 280 goals against season with an onerous contract length or did they view him as a possible diamond in the rough if they could just convince Bob Essensa to come and work for them?

If the Bruins buy the latter while the Sens were selling the former, somebody screwed themselves.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Although probably correct, you have no idea if any other team wanted Korpisalo at that price.

Somewhat fair. But also then alternatively. If korpisalo is a 1A as Raycroft claims. Why would Ottawa move him, a 1st and a 4th liner for a rental goalie who won’t commit to a long term deal?

You’d think if kprpisalo was a 1A like Raycroft is claiming then korpisalo would have been worth keeping.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
How Korpisalo plays on the Bruins has nothing to do with how bad the trade is.

Many goalies in the league are going to look competent playing behind this team. That doesn’t change the fact that the Bruins just took on a guy with negative league value for free.

And this what the trade defenders don't get. Getting the justified return for taking back that contract (a better player, better draft pic, etc.) or the cap space you save by not even taking on that contract with that term improves the quality of your team and improves the chances of winning the ultimate goal. I swear, you could scream into some of the defenders ears and they wouldn't want to understand 😂

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just reading the Ullmark signing and how yours truly had it 2 weeks before 4/20 (talk about pulling a number out of my ass lol)

He arrived here not well received but leaves beloved

Feel bad for him he loved it here

Hope he gets a standing ovation

Shame Bruins didn’t hire Jay Leach he’d have a Cup

Reactions: Tbaybruin and BMC

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Somewhat fair. But also then alternatively. If korpisalo is a 1A as Raycroft claims. Why would Ottawa move him, a 1st and a 4th liner for a rental goalie who won’t commit to a long term deal?

You’d think if kprpisalo was a 1A like Raycroft is claiming then korpisalo would have been worth keeping.
They can't keep Ullmark at 5 mil, Korpi at whatever and Forsberg at 2.75. One has to go to take on Ullmark. No doubt Ullmark is better than both those guys

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00