Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
An interesting tidbit from the Friedman podcast.

He heard that Ottawa wasn't on Ullmark's no trade list because agents often don't include teams that are unlikely to trade for their player because it would be a waste of a spot. He speculated that Ullmark didn't include Ottawa on the list last year because they just added Korpisalo to a long-term deal, so it seemed unlikely that they would be in the market to add another starter.

This may have squeezed Boston and created a deadline because they might have feared that Ullmark would put Ottawa on his no trade list on July 1st.

The implication being, Ottawa basically said the only way this is getting done is if you take Korpisalo, and Boston had to do it or risk losing out on Ottawa as a trade partner.

The trade makes a lot more sense if that was a real concern. I'm guessing they didn't have a serious trade partner for Ullmark that wasn't on his list and they really needed the first round pick for another move.

How do you value 25OA + Kastelic vs Getting rid of Korpisalo .. what's left after that a 3rd round pick?

I don't think there is a rational way to break down the value to where it makes any sense at all.

I suspect the situation was that they had zero real trade partners outside of Ottawa who weren't on his not trade list, so their only other option was to keep Ullmark for the year. I doubt it was a situation where it was like they could have sent Ullmark to x or y team for a 2nd instead. That's the only way this thing makes sense, if it was do it or keep him.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I have ST next to the Bs backup net minder.

Linus is a great guy and player.

Most Bruins fans will miss him. I will cheer for him except when he plays the Bs. I hope you guys have an excellent season.

He really helped Swayman's game grow.

I will miss those goalie hugs.

This was pretty cool too.

Thanks for sharing. Many of us are pretty stoked that he agreed to waive to come here. I'm also hoping that Korpi's play improves under Boston's defensive, team first, game. Our backup is also swedish, maybe the hugs will continue. Lots of huggers on our team.

Reactions: Ladyfan

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
That's the interesting thing. If this was just about boosting his UFA projections, both of those places are better options than here, especially Toronto given the geographic proximity.

The fact that he was willing to come here at all is a good sign. I don't think he would have done it if he wasn't willing to give it a serious shot.
Someone on Twitter replying to Bruce's tweet about the signing said that Ullmark agreed to waive after talking to Alfie. Won't hurt that Ullmark will have fellow swedes in the locker room and on the bench.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
swayman is not getting 8.5
You could be right, but we will see... The AAV$ very much depends on term offered too. If he is not happy with the $s he can refuse and sign for shorter term, lesser AAV. Boston's risk though as it just means he hits UFA faster. How long does Boston wants to lock him up for? Swayman went to arbitration last year as RFA and it was not a pleasurable experience... it never is! If they trigger that process again they risk really poisoning the relationship. Post trade they no longer have Ullmark to fall back on. They must be more guarded in how they approach this. They do have this wunderkind (Bussi) coming along but there is a large delta between star AHLer and NHLer. As it stands it falls to Korpi to backstop them right now, should the need arise.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Ullmark and Forsberg lived 38 minutes away from each other.
There is a 1 year age difference too. I wonder if they played against each other growing up?
I read somewhere they played together on one of the Swedish national teams so they know each other. Don't know if it was a world cup or some other tournament.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How do you value 25OA + Kastelic vs Getting rid of Korpisalo .. what's left after that a 3rd round pick?
I’m valuing Korpisalo as a pretty good goaltender especially at 3 mil who did not look good last year because of a combination of things including his own play but I don’t expect he’ll look that bad again.

Reactions: Senovision

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I’m valuing Korpisalo as a pretty good goaltender especially at 3 mil who did not look good last year because of a combination of things including his own play but I don’t expect he’ll look that bad again.

What would Korpisalo get if he were a UFA this offseason? How close would he come to 12M of cap?

I fully understand the argument that maybe he works out for Boston, but you have to weigh that against the liability of his contract. Take Forsberg, maybe he would not get 2.75M x 1 as a UFA this summer coming off of a bad contract, but if we dumped him to Boston instead of Korpisalo, that's pretty justifiable as a reclamation project because if it doesn't work out they can move on at the end of the season. With Korpisalo, if it doesn't work out they have to either trade him with retention, bury him, buy him out, and swap him for an equally as bad contract.

They got conned into solving Ottawa's problem for them as part of the trade, because they misplayed their hand by not dealing Ullmark at the previous deadline, and there was a 1-team market for him that was going to possible become a 0-team market on July 1st when Ullmark could have gained leverage over his future by adding Ottawa to his revised no trade list.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What would Korpisalo get if he were a UFA this offseason? How close would he come to 12M of cap?

I fully understand the argument that maybe he works out for Boston, but you have to weigh that against the liability of his contract. Take Forsberg, maybe he would not get 2.75M x 1 as a UFA this summer coming off of a bad contract, but if we dumped him to Boston instead of Korpisalo, that's pretty justifiable as a reclamation project because if it doesn't work out they can move on at the end of the season. With Korpisalo, if it doesn't work out they have to either trade him with retention, bury him, buy him out, and swap him for an equally as bad contract.

They got conned into solving Ottawa's problem for them as part of the trade, because they misplayed their hand by not dealing Ullmark at the previous deadline, and there was a 1-team market for him that was going to possible become a 0-team market on July 1st when Ullmark could have gained leverage over his future by adding Ottawa to his revised no trade list.
Where does this idea that Ottawa was the only suitor come from? And how has it become concrete fact?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was literally one of the worst performers last year, has a career worth of poor performance outside of two seasons, and his splits last year showed very little improvement between the first 41 games when the sens were legit bad defensively and the second 41 when the sens defensive game significantly improved under Martin.

Will be be as bad next year, probably not, but 3 mil is a very expensive backup, and I don't expect him to be a very good backup, so 3 mil is not going to be a good contract for him

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Where does this idea that Ottawa was the only suitor come from? And how has it become concrete fact?

Add "I think that" to that final paragraph. It's speculation based on how the circumstances played out, and everything that has been clarified by legitimate insiders.

It was reported by Weekes that Ullmark didn’t want to go West (he blocked a move to Colorado last TDL and wouldn’t go to LA) or Toronto, so after NJ got Markstrom, the assumption is Ottawa was the last team standing.

Pretty much this.

There is no way to prove it as a concrete fact, but you really don't need to prove it when you see how the trade panned out. This is not a trade that a team with options makes.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Friedman said something to the effect that Ulmark wasn't willing to waive for any other teams that were on his No trade list. I think he also said something about Ottawa not actually being on the list (strategically omitted because after signing Korpisalo it was unlikely we'd go after another goalie) and needing to complete the trade before 1 Jul when he could update the list.

People are filling in the blanks, seems plausible given the return with Korpisalo included, but also relies on contradictory info from prior reports

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I think Friedman said something to the effect that Ulmark wasn't willing to waive for any other teams that were on his No trade list. I think he also said something about Ottawa not actually being on the list (strategically omitted because after signing Korpisalo it was unlikely we'd go after another goalie) and needing to complete the trade before 1 Jul when he could update the list.

People are filling in the blanks, seems plausible given the return with Korpisalo included, but also relies on contradictory info from prior reports

TSN1200 also had a Boston reporter on this morning who stated that Ullmark didn’t want to return to Boston to be Swayman’s backup, and was actually looking forward to a trade.

So that contradicts the “he would have added Ottawa to the list because he didn’t want to leave Boston” thinking.

Either way it doesn’t matter, he’s here and seemingly happy about it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
TSN1200 also had a Boston reporter on this morning who stated that Ullmark didn’t want to return to Boston to be Swayman’s backup, and was actually looking forward to a trade.

So that contradicts the “he would have added Ottawa to the list because he didn’t want to leave Boston” thinking.

Either way it doesn’t matter, he’s here and seemingly happy about it.
Pagnotta said Ottawa was the only team he was excited to come to, idk, someone is getting BS info,

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Pagnotta said Ottawa was the only team he was excited to come to, idk, someone is getting BS info,

Friedman said he heard his “Ottawa wasn’t actually on the NTL” thing from another GM and hadn’t confirmed it with anyone else.

Maybe it was Treliving who didn’t want to admit that a player might prefer to go to Ottawa over Toronto.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL and swiftwin

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I was always under the impression that Ullmark would have preferred to stay in Boston, but listening to that interview, that doesn't seem to be true.

He wanted to go somewhere to be the #1 and show that he can handle a 55-60 game workload.

So it makes sense that he'd be open to coming here.

Getting only two appearances in the playoffs after adding a vezina to your portfolio has a way of stroking that competitive fire and doing the whole "I'll show them!" thing.

Dude is coming here with a chip on his shoulder. That's good for us.

Reactions: LiseL and Alex1234

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
What is the over under for Ullmark save% for 24-25?

.904 is my guess.
Well, let's look at Petr Mrazek and the Chicago Blackhawks as a comparison. Mrazek started 56 games for Chicago this year and posted a .908 save percentage. Chicago this year had a goal differential of -111. By comparison, Ottawa's goal differential this year was -26, which is nearly a hundred goal spread. So the questions are: A) is Ottawa worse defensively than Chicago? and B) is Ullmark a worse goalie than Mrazek? I think it's reasonable to expect at least .908.

Reactions: LiseL and MoreGore

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What did he say? I don’t have Twatter.
Basically just said that Linus is a family man and that's his priority above anything else. Doesn't want to be in the spotlight in places like LA, NY or Toronto and re-enforces that it'll be a decision that best benefits his family. Implied Ottawa is a good fit for that.

Then he talks about his own experience in Nashville in contrast to Buffalo and how when you're younger you might want the bustle and the excitement and all that, but as you have a family, things can change if it's your priority.

Reactions: LiseL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad