Player Discussion Linus Ullmark (G)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Wow, that's like the perfect deal. Sens get a 5 year runway and didn't have to go 8 years. I love it.

SS has solved goaltending in one season. Dorion was never able to figure that out even throwing a lot of money at it.

Reactions: LiseL

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
If we include this year at $5mil it works out to $7.6x5

That’s perfect.
I like that. The NHL should look at incorporating this into the cap system. If a player resigns with years left on their current contract, the new contract AAV will include those remain years. It would give teams a tool to lock up the young players before hitting those UFA years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OD99

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The term is good.

We overpaid on the AAV but with where the market is going, it probably won't look like one soon.

I would expect a NMC in the first 2-3 seasons.

I would have liked if we waited until January to re-sign him, because you never know how a goalie will fit. With that said, he did look exceptional in the preseason.

Nice timing right before the season opener. I assume that is intentional. Gets the last bit of hype going to push towards a sellout. Almost like how they announced the trade right before game 7 because the league are jerks.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
First it was ooh he's going to free agency he'd never resign with the ottawa poverty franchise.

Now it's actually that he stinks and couldn't possibly sustain his numbers for 4 years and it was allll a mirage and Boston that made his numbers and he's never really been good.
Also he's forgotten everything goalie bob taught him because.... ottawa

Who they got in nets again?
They can all eat it
Real 'Bobby Ryan is just waiting out the year to sign in Philly' kinda talk.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
According to the main board this is a disaster because it's possible within the last few days he could have been Fred Flintstone bonked on the head and forgotten he's a goalie.

It's a fair criticism that signing a goalie to this like of contract before playing a single regular season game is risky.

With that said, I think part of it is that the AAV does seem high on paper to someone a bit behind on the times. There are multiple reasons for that, from the timing of the signing (Swayman just reset the market, the cap is going up), to the infamous Sens tax that has been mentioned by people like Friedman, where we simply have to pay more.

I think 9/10 Sens fans are thrilled with this. We haven't had a legitimate goalie in almost a decade, sans that one season where Forsberg was lights out. I think there would have been a lot of anxiety about him playing well and then leaving, which is now gone.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like that. The NHL should look at incorporating this into the cap system. If a player resigns with years left on their current contract, the new contract AAV will include those remain years. It would give teams a tool to lock up the young players before hitting those UFA years.

fixed Thanks @Micklebot

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think this is what happens in the MLB iirc (granted they have no cap - it only applies to the luxury tax threshold)

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
As much as goalies scare me because of PTSensD, I understand locking him down now.

It's cost certainty. If we give him 20 games, we don't know how the market will shift, or how his intentions might change.

I get people on the main board being skeptical of the AAV, but there is a difference between saying he got paid higher than market value, and saying this contract will be the catalyst for the Sens relocating to Houston.

Sens don't get free agents for market value, unless it's an isolated situation like Giroux wanting to play in his hometown.

Reactions: bicboi64

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Interesting to have his contract expire before Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson. Thought they would have wanted him locked up through the same time period as the team's true core. But, hey, they got him locked in and that's all that matters now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's a fair criticism that signing a goalie to this like of contract before playing a single regular season game is risky.

With that said, I think part of it is that the AAV does seem high on paper to someone a bit behind on the times. There are multiple reasons for that, from the timing of the signing (Swayman just reset the market, the cap is going up), to the infamous Sens tax that has been mentioned by people like Friedman, where we simply have to pay more.

I think 9/10 Sens fans are thrilled with this. We haven't had a legitimate goalie in almost a decade, sans that one season where Forsberg was lights out. I think there would have been a lot of anxiety about him playing well and then leaving, which is now gone.

That doesn't make any sense. Ullmark has a solid, proven track record. Why would we need to see him play here first before signing him?

If anything his numbers indicate he gets better the more games he plays like he did when he played 50 games and won the Vezina, so I don't see what people are worried about at all.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
Saw the news real quick and my initial thought was:

- That's high.
- But he's a Vezina and the team got him for a term friendly 4 years

So I'm kinda on the fence on this on the basis of this:

I get him having won the Vezina. I also get that he was signing in a place where it would be a premium to sign. I accept that.

But the nagging feeling that he did 'lose' the competition to Swayman for the net last year, combined with them accepting to trade him to Ottawa and take on Korpisalo, just throws a lot of danger flags to me.

Ottawa needed to do this. I fully agree. But ho boy, that's hefty. I'm hoping this works out for the club cause this club's been bitten by bad goaltending since Anderson and it'd be nice for the club to have that issue be in the backseat. So far, in the small window we did see, he's solid.

But I'm in the 'cautiously optimistic' window.

Also, to whoever said that if you include this year it's more like 7.6x5 year: that's not how the contract works at all. Yes, you can average it, but his hit will be 8.25 when that contract goes. And the AAV is way more important than salary being pushed out. Cap space in a cap world is way more important than the money that gets pushed out.

Also noting that this has a full no move clause to boot for the entirety of the contract so Ottawa is saddled to this wagon at least past July 1st of next year. I'm hoping for the club this 'really' works out.

Again, the most I can go with in terms of how I feel about this is "Cautiously optimistic" but I've seen this club get burnt on goalies in the past so there is always going to be that nagging annoyance.

Eternally realistic/borderline pessimistic, I am. lol

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
That doesn't make any sense. Ullmark has a solid, proven track record. Why would we need to see him play here first before signing him?

If anything his numbers indicate he gets better the more games he plays like he did when he played 50 games and won the Vezina, so I don't see what people are worried about at all.

Both things can be true, that he has a tremendous track record but it also would be more ideal to see how he plays in the system during the regular season before signing him to a large AAV with a NMC.

With that said, a lot of people view real life NHL like a video game. The reality is that Ullmark is a top 5-10 goalie in the league based on his recent performance. The Senators are not a top destination. It's all well and good to paint and ideal scenario where they test drive him until January, but there is no guarantee that he still signs here. There is risk both ways. So I'm not trying to spin it like oh they could have waited. I'm just recognizing that it is a fair criticism.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
But the nagging feeling that he did 'lose' the competition to Swayman for the net last year, combined with them accepting to trade him to Ottawa and take on Korpisalo, just throws a lot of danger flags to me.
I'm not sure it's quite as cut-and-dry as this. My understanding is that Boston chose to move forward with Swayman because he's younger and playing at a high level, as opposed to Ullmark who's older and playing at a high level. I never saw it as a negative against Ullmark, personally, and I think the messaging coming out of Boston since Ullmark was moved kind of corroborates that view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad