Line Combos: Lines you expect to see vs what you want to see

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
It was not a good idea to buy out Aby for couple of reasons , we were tanking so who cares, will still not done, it was supposed to be over 2 years ago. For 4 mil per, it was not so bad, not as bad as Copp or Holl contracts Yzerman did right after.
Lol

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It was not a good idea to buy out Aby for couple of reasons , we were tanking so who cares, will still not done, it was supposed to be over 2 years ago. For 4 mil per, it was not so bad, not as bad as Copp or Holl contracts Yzerman did right after.

The buyout isn't just money, it's to make the person go away, too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The buyout isn't just money, it's to make the person go away, too.
Abdelkader has still been around the organization since then though. They helped him warm up for the Olympics a few years later in Grand Rapids.

Never really heard a ton of awesome things about him off-ice in terms of people I know that knew him at MSU or with the Wings, but he always had a pretty big place with the Ilitch family as he did a lot of community work.

The thing on Abdelkader was always he still wanted to play. I still think they should have LTIRed him for a year 20-21 and yes the team doc could have failed his knee at that point. I will never really agree with the need to do it right then and there, we didn't get anywhere near the cap ceiling the next season. Hell waive him to GR over buying him out and save the years of cap penalty at that point.

I really hope Kasper and MBN finally provide us the gritty down low guys we could use. Really wish Ras would put on the 15 to 20 lbs more he needs and become a bully, but again that doesn't seem to be the plan... I think having those guys is important to winning, if you can find smaller guys that do it great, but you have to hope those two are going to play a heavy game on the opponents and I am looking forward to more of that in the lineup soon.

Reactions: Bench

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
For this kind of thread y'all need this one:

want-demand.gif

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Abdelkader has still been around the organization since then though. They helped him warm up for the Olympics a few years later in Grand Rapids.

Sure, and it's also a courtesy to the player, who can seek a new contract and still get that cash payout.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's not a good hockey player...

I get it, he had too deal with some off ice struggles and I'm sympathetic to them, but outside his rookie campaign he's been nothing special...

I'd take Jeff Skinner over him any day, and he's what, 40% the cost?

Point about Laine is, that is better than Joe Veleno. That would be the guy out in a trade and another with elite skills coming in.

And come on, you certainly haven't watched Laine. His best career season was the 2nd one and first 4 years were good. The career takes a dip on the time of corona. I know he is a social guy and that restriction time could have started something. Years after corona stop are the worse ones, first some back problems were reported in Finnish media, his dad died, he got concussed, then mental problems.

At this point, Laine is not worth of his caphit, because the deal was made mostly before all problems cumulated, but sometimes we just have to ignore caphits, when really thinking, does this move make us a better team or not.

I just can't think that Patrick Kane feeding his lethal shot would be a bad idea. Maybe as bad idea as getting too old and slow Brett Hull at august 2001...

We can fix Patrik Laine as a human being, as a hockey player and it isn't like taking an 8-year deal on your hands. It's those 2-year short-term trys Yzerman is doing all the time. If it won't work, we let him walk. But the potential is sky-high, and why not try.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Point about Laine is, that is better than Joe Veleno. That would be the guy out in a trade and another with elite skills coming in.

And come on, you certainly haven't watched Laine. His best career season was the 2nd one and first 4 years were good. The career takes a dip on the time of corona. I know he is a social guy and that restriction time could have started something. Years after corona stop are the worse ones, first some back problems were reported in Finnish media, his dad died, he got concussed, then mental problems.

At this point, Laine is not worth of his caphit, because the deal was made mostly before all problems cumulated, but sometimes we just have to ignore caphits, when really thinking, does this move make us a better team or not.

I just can't think that Patrick Kane feeding his lethal shot would be a bad idea. Maybe as bad idea as getting too old and slow Brett Hull at august 2001...

We can fix Patrik Laine as a human being, as a hockey player and it isn't like taking an 8-year deal on your hands. It's those 2-year short-term trys Yzerman is doing all the time. If it won't work, we let him walk. But the potential is sky-high, and why not try.
Sounds like they are still expecting decent value back in a hockey trade for a roster player. That isn’t veleno.

I will say on Laine he doesn’t have a reputation of anything but a solid teammate who is good in the dressing room. So that should help teams take a chance.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sounds like they are still expecting decent value back in a hockey trade for a roster player. That isn’t veleno.

I will say on Laine he doesn’t have a reputation of anything but a solid teammate who is good in the dressing room. So that should help teams take a chance.

And it's not like his rate numbers have fallen through the floor. The two seasons in Columbus he's played 55ish games he has put up 25ish goals.

If he can stay on the ice for 70+ games, he's giving you 30+ goals.

Reactions: wings95

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I really like Laine, but is there a fit here with Raymond, Kane, and Tank on the right wing? Even if someone shifts lefts that’s not a group of wingers that gives you a ton of two-way play, which from my understanding is a big part of the identity we’re looking to build. I could see Laine as a fit in the future, I’m not sure he is today.

Total separate note, with our left wing depth a lot shallower, I wouldn’t be shocked if that opens a door for Mazur. I think he could use more seasoning in GR so it’s not something I’d force, but I think there’s an opportunity there.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Expect:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Kane-Compher-Tarasenko
Rasmussen-Copp-Berggren
Motte-Veleno-Fischer

Chiarot-Seider
Gustafsson-Edvinsson
Maata-Petry
AlJo, Holl

Talbot
Lyon
Husso

Wouldn't be surprised to see Beggren swapped with Fischer either.

What I want to see is for either Danielson/Kasper to make the team and another D acquired. If no D is acquired I'd honestly rather see anyone else with Seider than Chiarot, cause that pairing doesn't work.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Where are we hearing this? I am praying we have a trade coming that involves a top 4 defenseman.
Several others, between the Columbus dispatch to other notable sources. Waddell

"You know, our hope is that we wouldn't have to hold money," he said. "We want to make a hockey trade if we can and certainly exhaust every opportunity and every team that potentially has interest."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really like Laine, but is there a fit here with Raymond, Kane, and Tank on the right wing? Even if someone shifts lefts that’s not a group of wingers that gives you a ton of two-way play, which from my understanding is a big part of the identity we’re looking to build. I could see Laine as a fit in the future, I’m not sure he is today.

On that case, the centers should have defensive responsibility. That's how Florida Panthers was build. Think they had maybe one winger (Reinhart) who was good defensively on the Top3 lines.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Hope?

DBC - Larkin - Kane
Berg - Comp - Ray
Ras - Copp - Tank
Motte - Joey - Fisch

Olli - Mo
Ed - Gus
Chia - AlJo
Petry/Holl

Talbot/Lyon
Husso

There is going to be a lot of forced placements where the staff want players to slot, even though it's not working. Hopefully it's shorter than the initial Chia/Mo and let's just not play Lyon experiments....
the top 9 is exactly what I was going to put other than 1 position and a different 4th line.

danielson - copp - tank
motte - ras - fischer

for defense I am good with chiarot - mo they ended last season very good.

chiarot - mo
ed - petry
gus - aljo

would like to have traded one of holl and maatta.

Adding danielson to that third line changes the dynamic completely from ras. Tank is a scoring threat, regardless of how people around here may or may not view him; however, ras and copp are not going to be able to dish him the passes or set him up like a goal scorer. Danielson has that ability. Hopefully, danielson impresses a lot during that role and gets moved up and switches with berggren, would be the exact same thing for tank and brings a little bit more dynamic second line.

putting tank on the second line would be terrible tbh. It just doesn't make sense, especially since he apparently isn't a fan of his off side. He played a diminished role in florida and was perfectly fine with it. If he get's ice time, is paired with some type of 2 way center, and has a playmaker on the other side, i am sure he will be plenty happy.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
No. Unless I'm missing something, barring extra skater type situations, Raymond, Kane, Tarasenko exclusively play the right side. Like Ray doesn't even swap sides for the PP (unless he's netfront and chilling at the backpost), which is weird IMO.
He played left wing when he played on a line with Hossa. So he can. How good he will be is a different question

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He played left wing when he played on a line with Hossa. So he can. How good he will be is a different question

That was really old take, like I did found some minutes together from seasons 2009-10 to 2011-12.

After that there wasn't minutes together at all.

But as expected, he wasn't as good with Hossa, was much better without him in with/without statistics. Both were better separated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Euro Twins

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
That was really old take, like I did found some minutes together from seasons 2009-10 to 2011-12.

After that there wasn't minutes together at all.

But as expected, he wasn't as good with Hossa, was much better without him in with/without statistics.

Oh ya for sure. It's not ideal at all

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I did not realize Tarasenko has only played like 15-16 min a night the last 2 years. In that case he is probably going to be a Sprong replacement, and more likely to be the 3rd line right wing as opposed to a top 6 addition.

In that case I could see it being like:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond
XXXXX-Compher-Kane
Berggren-Copp-Tarasenko
Rasmussen-Veleno-Fischer
Motte

In this case, I wonder if there is a chance for one of these young guys to grab a spot.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I did not realize Tarasenko has only played like 15-16 min a night the last 2 years. In that case he is probably going to be a Sprong replacement, and more likely to be the 3rd line right wing as opposed to a top 6 addition.

Sprong wasn't anywhere near of those Tarasenko minutes.

It's pretty much Perron minutes and role. EV+PP.

No matter what the line is.

Middle6 role, no chance for 1st line, it didn't work at Florida (when playing with prime Barkov+Reinhart), it does not work with us.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

In that case I could see it being like:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond
XXXXX-Compher-Kane
Berggren-Copp-Tarasenko
Rasmussen-Veleno-Fischer
Motte

In this case, I wonder if there is a chance for one of these young guys to grab a spot.
Just slide everyone on that left side up one line. Though to that end, I'd then probably swap Kane and Raymond. Yes, DBC - Larkin - Ray is unquestionably the better top line. But we can't make a respectable 2nd line without splitting up Ray and Larkin. Larkin can carry DBC and Kane. Compher can't carry Kane and Burgers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just slide everyone on that left side up one line. Though to that end, I'd then probably swap Kane and Raymond. Yes, DBC - Larkin - Ray is unquestionably the better top line. But we can't make a respectable 2nd line without splitting up Ray and Larkin. Larkin can carry DBC and Kane. Compher can't carry Kane and Burgers.
I don’t think you can run DeBrincat, Raymond, Berggren, Kane as your top 6 wingers.

Would be the smallest/softest top 6 wing group in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad