Rumor: Lindholm top priority and Canucks have made traction. Also, Cole and Desmith will be available on July 1/ No new offer on Zadorov or Joshua

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
True 1C were getting 11+ even before the pandemic. A guy at Lindholm’s level like Horvat just got 8.5 a mere one year younger than Lindholm.

It really looked like the Horvat and Larkin deals were going to pretty much define the market for Lindholm, basically a year ago. But i think it's hard to completely ignore what this far less productive season might do to his "value".

Horvat for example, was working on a "career year" with a boatload of goals when he signed his $8.5M deal. Lindholm is coming off a real "down year" that has also really exposed his relative inability to truly drive his own offense in a high-end capacity. Horvat was doing all his goal-scoring while clearly driving his own line. So it'll be interesting to see how all of this impacts Lindholm's pricetag relative to what felt like the general "benchmark" previously.

Also still pretty unclear what Lindholm's priorities even are. Maximizing $$$? Picking a team/city he likes? Taking a run at the Cup? No idea. :dunno:

But yeah...$7M for a player like Lindholm feels like very fair "value" in today's market. If not a little bit of a "discount" on the light side. Even with his evident limitations as an offensive catalyst of his own.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It really looked like the Horvat and Larkin deals were going to pretty much define the market for Lindholm, basically a year ago. But i think it's hard to completely ignore what this far less productive season might do to his "value".

Horvat for example, was working on a "career year" with a boatload of goals when he signed his $8.5M deal. Lindholm is coming off a real "down year" that has also really exposed his relative inability to truly drive his own offense in a high-end capacity. Horvat was doing all his goal-scoring while clearly driving his own line. So it'll be interesting to see how all of this impacts Lindholm's pricetag relative to what felt like the general "benchmark" previously.

Also still pretty unclear what Lindholm's priorities even are. Maximizing $$$? Picking a team/city he likes? Taking a run at the Cup? No idea. :dunno:

But yeah...$7M for a player like Lindholm feels like very fair "value" in today's market. If not a little bit of a "discount" on the light side. Even with his evident limitations as an offensive catalyst of his own.

I think if he makes it to market he will find a deal in the mid 8s. I think that Vancouver is a great city and the team is on the up and up so he might take a million less to stay.

Of course, the second he does that, my black and gold colored glasses will take over and I will root for it to be an awful contract :).

Funny how the “it’s because of the taxes” people aren’t in this thread and saying he is going to go to Seattle or something.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I would think Mikhayev would be the very top of that list. He's the only real fat left on the roster with Kuzmenko gone.
After Mikayev it would be Garland but more for salary cap issues and replacement value.

It will be a very interesting off season for many teams.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Interesting. Lindholm could get 8M+ as a UFA if he doesn't care where he goes. Columbus would be all over that I'm sure. I've never been able to get a clear read on what's important to Lindholm. Zadorov is easy to read. He wants the money and an audience. Vancouver can give him both if they want to.
Lindholm was quite bad last year.

He’s not worth anything close to that.

Zadorov is a very good 5-6 dman.

You don’t give those players that much and certainly not term.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lindholm was quite bad last year.

He’s not worth anything close to that.

Zadorov is a very good 5-6 dman.

You don’t give those players that much and certainly not term.
I agree that Lindholm was bad. He's worth what someone will pay him. When your other options in the center market are Monahan and Henrique what do you figure he'll get? I have Monahan at 5M and Lindholm at 8M. I think that's what they'll get.

Zadorov is 4-5. He's closer to a 3-4 than he is to a 5-6. He's also a unicorn. He's getting 5+M for a certainty. It's so disingenuous to call him a 5-6. He's a top 4 defenseman for either team in the finals easily.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
The rise of the Latvian made DeSmith leaving via UFA a for gone conclusion. cole is 35 and near the ned of his career. This "leak" is just about keeping Canuck fans talking about the canucks. All teams do it in the off season

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is my only concern with Lindholm. I'm fine bringing him back but either he, Pettersson or Miller must convert to being a full time winger. We simply don't have the depth to go three lines deep at their respective prices and Tocchet needs to accept that.
I dunno, part of me says yes this is obvious the other part says that having a guy as good as Lindholm as your #3 center playing some PP and PK is a nice luxury but the other part says is that possible with the salary cap and canucks construction?

Nothing like a Canucks UrbanImpact thread where he quotes random people on Twitter with no actual tweets but apparently everyone has insider scoops on the organization/works for the team lol
No one is forcing you to be here right?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It does seem plausible that he's a guy who they can't afford to keep. I think they'd certainly like to keep him, as he brings an element of size and physicality that the Canucks really need more of, not less. But if he's really looking to cash in on what could be a "career year" with his 18G on an unsustainable 21.5% shooting percentage...a big body who can score is going to garner some really stupid offers from a number of teams looking to beef up their roster.

He was really good for the Canucks last year, and is a solid PKer as well...but a lot of his success was really driven by his chemistry with Garland. More realistically, you're getting a ~10-12G bottom-6 banger. That's where we've seen teams make mistakes on these type of players at a high water mark "career year" like Jeannot trade, Josh Anderson, Marcus Foligno deal, etc. He's also already 28, so major term starts to get risky for that type of player. They can fall off a cliff in a hurry playing the game they way they do...and Joshua has never been the most effortless fleet of foot skater to begin with. There's not much room for his skating to fall off before he becomes pretty ineffective and relegated to chasing the play.

So if he'll sign for $3M or less, i think the Canucks would really like to find a way to keep him. But they've got a lot of other irons in the fire with Free Agency, including some bigger priorities. Especially if Joshua wants to start pressing up toward that Marcus Foligno, Josh Anderson type money in that $4-5.5M range. Anything like that is just a huge mistake in the making, for a guy who isn't a Top-6 Forward. Have to let him walk at that point.
Bye bye Joshua and I say this aadly but his contract just won't fit and he almost certainly won't be worth it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In his last interview Zadorov said he’s confident he could play at a high level until he is 35 or 36. He is now 29. That means he wants a 7-year deal. 4.5-4.75 AAV could make it work for both sides.
As opposed to all those FA's who say they are only good till 32 or 33 right?

just saying.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I dont think anyone comes close to paying him 4mil. There is little to no market for him at that price point.

Like i said contenders are out at that price point, so that leaves some rebuilding teams.

SJ might be a fit if they feel they need a rugged player to protect some of their incoming stars. Joshua isnt really a pure definition of an enforcer though and why pay him 4mil when theres not that much demand for him at that price point or a a bidding war.

I think most contenders would be willing to give him 2.5-3mil
You obviously haven't seen NHL GMs and FA before with big players who hit score goals and can play on the PK even if it was a fluke season.

I'll gladly eat crow and ill be very happy for Joshua if he can make bank at 4+ mil AAV but i sure hope its not with the Canucks.
Say what?

1718058284188.png

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think it's even necessarily just "rebuilding" teams that might be willing to go a little wild with a contract offer for a player like Joshua. I think the bigger threat to make that kind of offer is actually those sort of "bubble teams" or the teams that are spinning their wheels and desperately want to start climbing out of their "rebuilding" phase and start to gain some competitive traction.

There are plenty of teams around the league like that, with varying degrees of cap space to burn.

Joshua is exactly the type of big physical player, coming off exactly the type of season that teams always make regrettable decisions on. Projecting an unsustainable "breakout" goal-scoring year to an "upward trajectory"...when it's far more likely to be a career high water mark.

If he re-signs with Vancouver, i really think it's going to have to be a case of leaving some money on the table for a better "fit". That's not necessarily a likely outcome for a guy who has made pennies thus far in his career, and doesn't realistically have a ton of productive years left either.
Exactly he is cashing in with only $1.5 million at age 28 and no one can blame him.

Pay for the known quantities (Lindholm) while letting go of the overpriced 4th liner that had a nice season because of a linemate (Garland). Find the next Joshua. Trade Hronek for assets to flip. Only sign Z if he is taking a haircut. Anything around 4 will work. If they can't come to an agreement, pivot to Roy or DeMelo who'll probably be better anyways. Allvin has had a fantastic tenure since coming to Vancouver- probably the best GM performance going back to last offseason. I am fascinated to see what Vancouver does. I'd have confidence if I were a Canuck fan.
I'm drinking the kool-aid here but as a lifelong Canucks fan I'm not confident on the outcome.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lindholm stays. Zadorov walks. Hronek stays. Joshua walks. That's what I'm calling .
I think there is a 90% chance of this is how it all plays out.

Now the big question is who else do they sign and which excess winger do they move?

Reactions: David71

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I dunno, part of me says yes this is obvious the other part says that having a guy as good as Lindholm as your #3 center playing some PP and PK is a nice luxury but the other part says is that possible with the salary cap and canucks construction?

No one is forcing you to be here right?

If we had more reasonably assured prospects, I'd be a bit more inclined to gamble. Unfortunately, we just don't. And we all saw the results. Good as Suter was, his lack of high end skill definitely held back some offensive potential from Miller's line and everything about Pettersson's line has already been said.

Regardless, if the rumours of Lindholm rejecting a 7x7 offer are true. It's a moot point. There's no way we can justify paying him more.

Reactions: wetcoast

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
If we had more reasonably assured prospects, I'd be a bit more inclined to gamble. Unfortunately, we just don't. And we all saw the results. Good as Suter was, his lack of high end skill definitely held back some offensive potential from Miller's line and everything about Pettersson's line has already been said.

Regardless, if the rumours of Lindholm rejecting a 7x7 offer are true. It's a moot point. There's no way we can justify paying him more.
I think as far as the offer goes it should be taken with a grain of salt. For all we know that's the ask or just plain wrong.
Hroneks agent literally said all the talk from reporters regarding money etc are all complete BS.

As for our prospects I'm not one to get all gaga over any and while we may not have a ton I feel that Lekkerimakki is going to be a stud and Raty will be a solid middle six player. He took a minute to adjust to the AHL mostly his skating held him back but the last half of the season he was blue chip level .

Not that my opinion matters but we were literally a top 3 team defensively since January and while I'm not saying we run a much weaker defense back but id gladly spend 16-17 million of our 32 million in cap (after Mikheyev buyout or trade) on Lindholm and Guentzal still leaving 15+ in cap.
Then 2.5 is the rumour for Myers after that it's a matter of do you sign Hronek in some fashion? 8 long-term or just qualify at 6.5 and buy some time, or trade him for another forward or cheaper d? Then sign Zadorov and Tanev or Roy, Carrier Dillon etc for the same price as as max term Hronek we have Willander who almost assuredly will be at worst a #3 imo and EP2 could very well be a Zadorov without the offense.

End of the day there's gonna be some big decisions but I loved Lindholm and having the best centre depth in hockey but also acknowledge that without at least 1 major upgrade on wing and either Lekkerimakki having to play long in Abby or getting another winger like say Toffolli than it wouldn't work.

The suspense either way is killing me as well as the fact that Alvin is aces and very well making a trade nobody saw coming.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Lindholm stays. Zadorov walks. Hronek stays. Joshua walks. That's what I'm calling .
hronek stays. zadorov 50/50. lindholm/joshua walks. vancouver can find another joshua in the ufa pool or via trade. still need to find 2 wingers for petterson.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I’d love Lindholm in WPG…he’d fit perfectly.
I’m of the opinion last year was an outlier year and he’ll improve moving forward…every player has a bad season or 2.
Unfortunately, Chevy would rather waste assets on players like Monahan than actually properly fix the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad