Rumor: Lindholm top priority and Canucks have made traction. Also, Cole and Desmith will be available on July 1/ No new offer on Zadorov or Joshua

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Pretty crazy that the Canucks are looking at so much turnover after such a great season.

Attach whatever picks you need to, to dump Mikheyev. That should be a no brainer.

This team tasted regular season success and looked competitive in the post-season. You need to build the roster out to build on playoff success. No surprise that Lindholm is a priority as he showed how effective he can be in the playoff run. They might want to keep Hronek and Zadorov but it also wouldn’t surprise me that again, because, playoffs, Zadorov is the priority and Hronek gets liquidated into flexibility and asset capital. And Joshua…you really would love to bring him back.

Lindholm, Zadorov and Joshua played really effective playoff hockey. You don’t want to overpay thru the nose but I’d everything I could to keep those three.
They will have a ton of turnover, which is fine. Allvin built last years team in his first year with no cap room to play with. This year he has a number of options and much more money to play with. I think he and rutherford have a pretty good vision of what they want to play like, and they have some room to accomplish that.

Last years team had a great season, but was lacking 2-3 top 6 wingers, that will be addressed for sure.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
They better not see Lindholm as the 3C still if they intend to sign him. You can’t keep justifying paying money to guys you’re not playing in the top 6

This is my only concern with Lindholm. I'm fine bringing him back but either he, Pettersson or Miller must convert to being a full time winger. We simply don't have the depth to go three lines deep at their respective prices and Tocchet needs to accept that.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Hronek is probably the odd man out for a couple of reasons.

1. Canucks probably see that they will never get full value of what Hronek can bring since Q Hughes is the ranchise player and will be running the PP. Hronek's offensive abilities will be underutilized so why pay for it.

2. Canucks see Tom Willander as the long term partner for Q Hughes

3. Canucks proabably think they can soften the loss of Hronek by signing someone like Tanev, Pesce, Demlo etc.

I personally like the plan of keeping Lindholm and Z and getting assets and cap space by trading Hronek.

Canucks can use that money elsewhere, specially another top 6 winger or 2.

Ducliar-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Debrusk
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Podkolzin- Suter- DIGuissepe

Hughes- Roy
Soucy-Myers
Zadorov-Juuslen

Demko
Silovs

* use assets from the Hronek trade to get rid of Mikhayev. That will be even more value and reasoning to trade Hronek
I agree Hronek will never be fully utilized here as long as we have Hughes and for what he's asking he's not worth signing if the 8x8 is true. However Hog cannot be on EP's wing we need someone with better hands there. Debrusk would be a nice add as well as Declair. Would be very happy to add Roy as well and he'd be a decent partner for Hughes and cost much less of course. Not to mention asset gained from Hronek deal.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Even if he's the "3C" he still gets PP and PK time, and either of EP and JT can play wing. It's nice flexibility to have. Especially with EP being so inconsistent

It’s not that I don’t think he’ll play enough to justify it, it’s that Tocchet was pretty insistent on running all three apart and with Garland already showing he’s best running his own line that’s going to be 12-13 million on just those two on the third. If they sign Joshua then it’s hard not to put him there as well, but then it’s even more expensive. And the three of them are good enough to be a second line, but if they play Pettersson and Miller apart then Pettersson will continue to get the short end with linemates. While his slump in the last third of the year is mostly on him/injury, it certainly didn’t help having linemates like Mikheyev go scoreless for 60 some odd games. I think if they sign Lindholm they’re almost certainly not adding another impact forward for Pettersson so he’ll need to play with either Lindholm or Miller.

Reactions: wetcoast

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Zads possibly taking less is ideal but what about the taxes? Why would anyone sign in a place for less than market value aside from taxes?

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Nothing like a Canucks UrbanImpact thread where he quotes random people on Twitter with no actual tweets but apparently everyone has insider scoops on the organization/works for the team lol

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It’s not that I don’t think he’ll play enough to justify it, it’s that Tocchet was pretty insistent on running all three apart and with Garland already showing he’s best running his own line that’s going to be 12-13 million on just those two on the third. If they sign Joshua then it’s hard not to put him there as well, but then it’s even more expensive. And the three of them are good enough to be a second line, but if they play Pettersson and Miller apart then Pettersson will continue to get the short end with linemates. While his slump in the last third of the year is mostly on him/injury, it certainly didn’t help having linemates like Mikheyev go scoreless for 60 some odd games. I think if they sign Lindholm they’re almost certainly not adding another impact forward for Pettersson so he’ll need to play with either Lindholm or Miller.
Ultimately that contract is EP's cross to bear. I've said the same thing about Matthews, if you want that kinda money then you need to be prepared to elevate some cheap linemates. I would've never paid EP that but it is what it is now.

That 6-49 line worked great for ya'll. Could easily run that and Joshua-Lindholm-Garland as a 2nd line in the regular season if ya want.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Knew Joshua wasn’t signing when JT Miller berated him on a nothing play. Who the hell wants to stick around for that kind of verbal abuse and “leadership”. Joshua was one of the best Nucks in the playoffs too. No way he’s sticking around to lose his smile like Petey.

And Z was never gonna stay either. For him it’s all about money. And no way he stays for a chance to get torched by the Oilers for a 3rd time. Now watch him shit on the Nucks when he’s on his new team, as is tradition.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
If deals get done with Lindholm and Zadorov, that likely means Hronek is getting traded.
Yes, it would seem like it. The roster would be very cap-strapped, if it in fact was even possible to keep all 3.

A Mikheyev buyout could help with that, if they're willing to go in that direction.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder how much Lindholm will cost. He wasn’t great in the regular season, had an okay playoffs. But I don’t think he gets that reported extension offer he got in calgary. Could be a huge agent oof on that one.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Zads possibly taking less is ideal but what about the taxes? Why would anyone sign in a place for less than market value aside from taxes?

When you're making the kind of money athletes do, you can be more picky with things like location and whatnot. Hell, I'm nowhere close making their money but if I could afford North Vancouver, I'd move back there in a heartbeat. It's a gorgeous city

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
When you're making the kind of money athletes do, you can be more picky with things like location and whatnot. Hell, I'm nowhere close making their money but if I could afford North Vancouver, I'd move back there in a heartbeat. It's a gorgeous city
Its a joke. SOOOOOOOOOOOO many people (specifically Canadian hockey fans) complain players take less money in places like Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Dallas etc... and its solely because of taxes. No other reason. The counter argument is if you have a good city, good management, winning, etc...players will take less money anyway.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I doubt it unless he is asking for 4mil a year kind of money.

Canucks have around 24mil cap space.
Why wouldn’t he ask for $4M? I’m sure he could get it in the open market.

$24M sounds like a lot until you see that they have to re-sign or replace Lindholm, Zadorov, and Hronek and fill out the rest of their roster.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
They better not see Lindholm as the 3C still if they intend to sign him. You can’t keep justifying paying money to guys you’re not playing in the top 6

3C would only be a label on paper since Miller and Pettersson are on the other 2 lines.

However, I wouldnt be surprised if Lindholm gets more ice-time than Pettersson and Miller on some nights.

Lindholm would be playing PP1, PK1, and his regular line minutes. He also wouldnt be playing with scrubs on the "3rd line line"

Tochett often utilized Joshua-Lindholm-Garland as the matchup line vs the other teams top line.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Why wouldn’t he ask for $4M? I’m sure he could get it in the open market.

$24M sounds like a lot until you see that they have to re-sign or replace Lindholm, Zadorov, and Hronek and fill out the rest of their roster.

If anyone wants to sign a career high 32 points who doesnt drive a line to a 4mil contract with term then they can have Joshua. I wouldnt want any part of that contract. Id rather find the next Joshua.

I dont think anyone is offering Joshua 4mil AAV in the open market.

As for the 24mil, there are alot of people whose preference is to trade Hronek and use some of that asset return to move Mikhayevs contract which would open up even more cap space.

Canucks can definitely shape their roster this off-season with how they see fit with the amount of cap space they have

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
3C would only be a label on paper since Miller and Pettersson are on the other 2 lines.

However, I wouldnt be surprised if Lindholm gets more ice-time than Pettersson and Miller on some nights.

Lindholm would be playing PP1, PK1, and his regular line minutes. He also wouldnt be playing with scrubs on the "3rd line line"

Tochett often utilized Joshua-Lindholm-Garland as the matchup line vs the other teams top line.

That’s my point. The team shouldn’t be spreading Pettersson, Lindholm and Miller on separate lines with Pettersson and Lindholm on new big deals if this happens. They don’t have the depth for it. 2 of them need to play together. The offense dried up after the all star break in part because there were too many passengers on the top 2 lines.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If anyone wants to sign a career high 32 points who doesnt drive a line to a 4mil contract with term then they can have Joshua. I wouldnt want any part of that contract. Id rather find the next Joshua.

I dont think anyone is offering Joshua 4mil AAV in the open market.

As for the 24mil, there are alot of people whose preference is to trade Hronek and use some of that asset return to move Mikhayevs contract which would open up even more cap space.

Canucks can definitely shape their roster this off-season with how they see fit with the amount of cap space they have
I feel pretty sure that he will. Lots of teams have tons of cap space (my Sharks include) and Joshua is a very appealing type of player. I wouldn’t hesitate to give him $4M x three years. Even if he doesn’t pan out as a true second line scorer, he still has a lot of great bottom-6 attributes and we can afford to overpay him by a million.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like Joshua might shake loose, no?

It does seem plausible that he's a guy who they can't afford to keep. I think they'd certainly like to keep him, as he brings an element of size and physicality that the Canucks really need more of, not less. But if he's really looking to cash in on what could be a "career year" with his 18G on an unsustainable 21.5% shooting percentage...a big body who can score is going to garner some really stupid offers from a number of teams looking to beef up their roster.

He was really good for the Canucks last year, and is a solid PKer as well...but a lot of his success was really driven by his chemistry with Garland. More realistically, you're getting a ~10-12G bottom-6 banger. That's where we've seen teams make mistakes on these type of players at a high water mark "career year" like Jeannot trade, Josh Anderson, Marcus Foligno deal, etc. He's also already 28, so major term starts to get risky for that type of player. They can fall off a cliff in a hurry playing the game they way they do...and Joshua has never been the most effortless fleet of foot skater to begin with. There's not much room for his skating to fall off before he becomes pretty ineffective and relegated to chasing the play.

So if he'll sign for $3M or less, i think the Canucks would really like to find a way to keep him. But they've got a lot of other irons in the fire with Free Agency, including some bigger priorities. Especially if Joshua wants to start pressing up toward that Marcus Foligno, Josh Anderson type money in that $4-5.5M range. Anything like that is just a huge mistake in the making, for a guy who isn't a Top-6 Forward. Have to let him walk at that point.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I feel pretty sure that he will. Lots of teams have tons of cap space (my Sharks include) and Joshua is a very appealing type of player. I wouldn’t hesitate to give him $4M x three years. Even if he doesn’t pan out as a true second line scorer, he still has a lot of great bottom-6 attributes and we can afford to overpay him by a million.

Ya perhaps a rebuilding team will want to throw him that kinda AAV. I dont see any contending team using 4mil on what he brings though.

Canucks are already trying to desperately get rid of Mikhyev and his 4.7mil AAV that only has 2 years left and as bad as Mikhayev was offensively this season, he was still very reliable as a 2way player.

Mikhayev had 31 pts this season
Joshua had 32 pts this season

career highs:

Mikh 21 goals
Joshua 18 goals

Mikh 32 points
Joshua 32 points

Joshua 28

I want no part of Joshua if he has a 4mil contract.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad