Rumor: Lightning trying to use draft picks to move bad contracts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I would expect Tampa to try and get Seattle to take at least 2 of Johnson/Killorn/Gourde/Palat. You would think that would be the cheapest way for Tampa to get out of this mess. And Seattle have a couple skilled guys with that have chemistry.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
I would expect Tampa to try and get Seattle to take at least 2 of Johnson/Killorn/Gourde/Palat. You would think that would be the cheapest way for Tampa to get out of this mess. And Seattle have a couple skilled guys with that have chemistry.

How do you define cheapest?

If Seattle takes Gourde.

Bolts trade Johnson for free or they trade Palat/Killorn for a 1st

If Seattle takes a prospect

Bolts just have to trade 2 forwards. Johnson for free or Palat/Killorn/Gourde for high picks.

The only ‘bad’ contract they have is Johnson and he’s basically a wash at this point. They’ll get assets for whomever else they trade

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

If Seattle takes Gourde.

Bolts just have to trade 2 forwards. Johnson for free or Palat/Killorn/Gourde for high picks.

The only ‘bad’ contract they have is Johnson and he’s basically a wash at this point. They’ll get assets for whomever else they trade
Lol when you're dealing with xero leverage, you're not getting a 1st for a guy

It'll cost at least 2 first to get rid of a bottom 6er like TJ paid like a top6, and then, after that, the other 31 GM know Brosebois needs to shed salary, they're not going to pau full price for Killorn/Palat/Gourde.3rd at most. Otherwhise they'll just wait for TB to waive them

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

If Seattle takes Gourde.

Good luck to Tampa with trading Johnson for free or trading Palat/Killorn for a 1st.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think there would be worse things for the Kraken to do than get Johnson, Gourde or Palat and some sweeteners from TB.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
What about something like Wings offer DeKeyser and Nielsen for Johnson, Palat and Gourde? Lighting saves 5 million.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Good luck to Tampa with trading Johnson for free or trading Palat/Killorn for a 1st.

FFS, Nick Foligno and David Savard went for a 1st.
Why wouldn't Palat, who is a much better player with only 1 year remaining at a very reasonable contract not go for that much?

You don't think a Colorado (to say one team) would do that if they believe that's the piece to push them closer to the cup?
Geez.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If Seattle takes Gourde.

Wasn’t Johnson already waived with no takers?
No one is taking him for free at that salary.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Why wouldn't Palat, who is a much better player with only 1 year remaining at a very reasonable contract not go for that much?

You don't think a Colorado (to say one team) would do that if they believe that's the piece to push them closer to the cup?
Geez.

Foligno and Savard were deadline trades.

If you want to trade Palat at the deadline, sure you might get a 1st for him.
But you need to get under the cap before the season starts in order to carry that salary until Feb 2022.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020

It'll cost at least 2 first to get rid of a bottom 6er like TJ paid like a top6, and then, after that, the other 31 GM know Brosebois needs to shed salary, they're not going to pau full price for Killorn/Palat/Gourde.3rd at most. Otherwhise they'll just wait for TB to waive them

Are you suggesting other teams collude?

The goal of the other 31 teams is to win, it’s not to hurt the Lightning.

Do you really think contending teams will pass up a trade that helps their team just to hurt the Lightning?

In your world JBB calls up Colorado (or any contender) and says “We got a deal on the table Palat for a 3rd, can you beat it?” and Colorado says no because they want to inflict max pain on the Lightning.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

Do you really think contending teams will pass up a trade that helps their team just to hurt the Lightning?

In your world JBB calls up Colorado (or any contender) and says “We got a deal on the table Palat for a 3rd, can you beat it?” and Colorado says no because they want to inflict max pain on the Lightning.

Colorado already had a similar player in Brandon Saad and just let him go UFA. I'm sure they could sign him again if they wanted to.
Why would they give up a 3rd?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Nope, they'll match the offer and wait. They are not going to get a 1st for palat or Gourde or Killorn when these guys are a dime a dozen on the NHL. TB calls Col and says 'Hey we got a deal for Killorn, a 3rd', Sakic will just tell Brisebois to f*** off until the price goes down that's it. No one is helping the TBL get out of their cap hell as it's been shown last offseason. Even less now that Brisebois screwed the other 30GM delaying Kuch returns when he wad healty and able toplay 1mo before the playoffs.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

If Seattle takes Gourde.

I define cheapest as giving up the least amount of assets possible. Literally the title of this thread says Tampa has to give up assets for teams to take their players.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Do I have to remind you again of the other players who scored aren't the same as Johnson did this year while making similar or more money? Laine, Domi, Anderson, Danault, Larkin, Johansen, Cirelli, Henrique and Dubois.

LA just traded a 2nd + 3rd for Arvidsson who has similar production to Johnson recently, signed the same length just 750k less. The cost to dump an AHL player with a higher cap than Johnson was just two 2nds. Tell me again how a guy who can play up and down the lineup and on either wing costs multiple 1sts? We aren't waiving anybody either, we did so he would expand his trade list which he did but we didn't need to after Kucherov had surgery and the 2nd time was to get under the cap to start the year.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Nope, they'll match the offer and wait. They are not going to get a 1st for palat or Gourde or Killorn when these guys are a dime a dozen on the NHL. TB calls Col and says 'Hey we got a deal for Killorn, a 3rd', Sakic will just tell Brisebois to f*** off until the price goes down that's it. No one is helping the TBL get out of their cap hell as it's been shown last offseason. Even less now that Brisebois screwed the other 30GM delaying Kuch returns when he wad healty and able toplay 1mo before the playoffs.

lol how did the Bolts win multiple cups with all these scrubs?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd expect that if they do trade Johnson, we would take a 2nd + something to get rid of. Not a 1st, he isnt bad, just an overpaid tweener.

And on the flip side, I dont think they'll get a 1st back for Palat, Killorn or Gourde, but probably a couple 2nds type of deal. They dont have as much leverage with teams knowing they need to move someone. But teams will also jump on a experienced middle six contributor once the price is right.

I imagine it will be Johnson, Gourde and Palat that are moved.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Why the heck did they pay 5$ to undrafted players? They didnt need to add up that much. Let them pay their misstakes

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Tampa Bay doesn't really have bad contracts. Gourde & Johnson are both a little overpaid, but not by a lot.

Teams just don't want to help Tampa without a significant asset attached.

I've seen this said a few times and it just doesn't make any sense.

If the players are good but just a tad overpaid, then that team should also be helping themselves by acquiring them. Not doing so just to spite Tampa doesn't make sense.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Only 1 with negative value is Johnson and I don’t think it’s that bad. Curious to see what they do on the blue line in a year or so when Sergachev needs a contract. He’s a luxury for them as they have 2 other top LHD. I could see Sergachev wanting an expanded role eventually…
I think at that point we move on from McDonagh.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
If a veteran really wanted to stay and shoot for 3, could they restructure their deal like in the NFL? I know it’s different because in the NFL the alternative is being released and getting no money, but conceptually is that possible?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Geez.
Because those teams weren’t in a need to shed salary. With that’s said, you’re not getting a 1st and that’s a fact but what you can do is shed say Palat & Kilorn for say Rasmus Kupari and 3rd. That might be right around what I expect the market to be for Tampa’s guys.. again, leverage is not what your TBL have and it gets worse when Serg and Erik needs new contracts as does Point. You could move Stammer or McD but keep in mind the NMC and their age..
the good things is you guys will still be in the running for the SC the next two seasons before what many expect to be the start of their decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad