Rumor: Lightning trying to use draft picks to move bad contracts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If a veteran really wanted to stay and shoot for 3, could they restructure their deal like in the NFL? I know it’s different because in the NFL the alternative is being released and getting no money, but conceptually is that possible?

Its possible, they could mutually agree to terminate contract. The player would have to pass through waivers first. Plus I'm sure the league would reject a new contract between Tampa and said player as cap circumvention

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
If a veteran really wanted to stay and shoot for 3, could they restructure their deal like in the NFL? I know it’s different because in the NFL the alternative is being released and getting no money, but conceptually is that possible?

Yes and no, they can mutually terminate the contract.

However, the player wouldn't be able to sign with the same team

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Because those teams weren’t in a need to shed salary. With that’s said, you’re not getting a 1st and that’s a fact but what you can do is shed say Palat & Kilorn for say Rasmus Kupari and 3rd. That might be right around what I expect the market to be for Tampa’s guys.. again, leverage is not what your TBL have and it gets worse when Serg and Erik needs new contracts as does Point. You could move Stammer or McD but keep in mind the NMC and their age..
the good things is you guys will still be in the running for the SC the next two seasons before what many expect to be the start of their decline.

Whether or not a team has to shed salary doesn’t impact trade values except in extreme circumstances. Things are pretty much normal now. Teams have space. No team is going to purposefully hurt their own team just to spite the Bolts. That’s dumb. And the Bolts only need 1 team to get fair market value. They easily get top picks for Palat/Killorn/Gourde. Easily.

Seattle is different since they have the leverage that they get 1 player for free.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would expect Tampa to try and get Seattle to take at least 2 of Johnson/Killorn/Gourde/Palat. You would think that would be the cheapest way for Tampa to get out of this mess. And Seattle have a couple skilled guys with that have chemistry.

Well they're going to lose Gourde to expansion...which is pretty bad to TB. He's a fringe 1st line calibre player and was their 3rd most used forward in the playoffs. Honestly I think he should be considered part of their "core" and it's gonna be a huge loss. One of the better two-way centers in the league.

Palat/Killorn are moveable without too much trouble. Basically right now Tampa is just trying to jump Johnson again.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Well they're going to lose Gourde to expansion...which is pretty bad to TB. He's a fringe 1st line calibre player and was their 3rd most used forward in the playoffs. Honestly I think he should be considered part of their "core" and it's gonna be a huge loss. One of the better two-way centers in the league.

Palat/Killorn are moveable without too much trouble. Basically right now Tampa is just trying to jump Johnson again.

If teams want too high of a pick for Johnson the Bolts will keep him and give him top 6 minutes. He will be a 20/30 player

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I wonder if Vinik will have to sell ownership shares to the competition in order to entice teams to take on salary for top 6 Stanley cup champion quality forwards.

something to ponder

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I wonder if Vinik will have to sell ownership shares to the competition in order to entice teams to take on salary for top 6 Stanley cup champion quality forwards.

something to ponder
That puts Tampa at an unfair advantage since their ownership shares are worth more than other team's due to the lack of taxes.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Whether or not a team has to shed salary doesn’t impact trade values except in extreme circumstances. Things are pretty much normal now. Teams have space. No team is going to purposefully hurt their own team just to spite the Bolts. That’s dumb. And the Bolts only need 1 team to get fair market value. They easily get top picks for Palat/Killorn/Gourde. Easily.

Seattle is different since they have the leverage that they get 1 player for free.
Leverage is an extreme circumstance, you obviously don’t understand that. Are Palat/Kilorn/Gourde worth a 1st? Absolutely, especially in a normal year and even more so at the TDL. This isn’t that, while no team would hurt themselves they’re also going to try and likely succeed at screwing you over because you are the competition. How you not understand that is beyond me, those guys you have mentioned are now viewed as dumps! Look no further than Taransenko, TB is hoping Seattle snatched up one of the above to alleviate this issue but I think they go for Foote. I’m sure my Kings would love one or two of those guys but why would we pay anything near fair value? If we say we’d give you Rasmus Kupari and a 3rd for Palat and Kilorn do you say no?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Leverage is an extreme circumstance, you obviously don’t understand that. Are Palat/Kilorn/Gourde worth a 1st? Absolutely, especially in a normal year and even more so at the TDL. This isn’t that, while no team would hurt themselves they’re also going to try and likely succeed at screwing you over because you are the competition. How you not understand that is beyond me, those guys you have mentioned are now viewed as dumps! Look no further than Taransenko, TB is hoping Seattle snatched up one of the above to alleviate this issue but I think they go for Foote. I’m sure my Kings would love one or two of those guys but why would we pay anything near fair value? If we say we’d give you Rasmus Kupari and a 3rd for Palat and Kilorn do you say no?
Your scenario only works if there is a single bidder. The minute multiple teams are involved the equation changes

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I’m sure my Kings would love one or two of those guys but why would we pay anything near fair value? If we say we’d give you Rasmus Kupari and a 3rd for Palat and Kilorn do you say no?

because you're still competing with 30 other teams? leverage is real, but you're over-exaggerating it. this is not a vacuum, and as it been said: no one is colluding to hurt Tampa no matter how much hand-wringing comes from HF posters

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

I would keep Rasmus Kupari for better trades (young defensemen).

Reactions: KingsOfThe805

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020

If that’s the offer we bring that offer to a dozen other teams and they’ll gladly beat it.

Yes we are the competition. But so are you. Why would other teams want their competition to get a good player for under market value when they themselves could get said player?

Your scenario works if it’s only one team in play. The Lightning can deal with the entire league.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
because you're still competing with 30 other teams? leverage is real, but you're over-exaggerating it. this is not a vacuum, and as it been said: no one is colluding to hurt Tampa no matter how much hand-wringing comes from HF posters

It’s crazy. It’s like HF posters really think 30 GMs will sit around and be like “XYZ team getting Palat for a 5th, but in a few months we will use a 1st to get him at the TDL”

It’s like a hatred for the Lightning is stronger than their desire to improve their own team

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If that’s the offer we bring that offer to a dozen other teams and they’ll gladly beat it.

Yes we are the competition. But so are you. Why would other teams want their competition to get a good player for under market value when they themselves could get said player?

Your scenario works if it’s only one team in play. The Lightning can deal with the entire league.
No the Kings aren’t your competition nor are other similar teams like the Ducks, Sabres and other bottom rung teams. With that said, what team is offering a 1st for Palat, 1st for Kilorn and a 1st for Gourde?

Reactions: kinghock

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
No the Kings aren’t your competition nor are other similar teams like the Ducks, Sabres and other bottom rung teams. With that said, what team is offering a 1st for Palat, 1st for Kilorn and a 1st for Gourde?

All teams are competition for all teams.

You are a Kings fan. Would you not want the Kings to beat a low ball offer by a team like the Ducks?

That directly hurts your team. What is the logic in that?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
No they’re not colluding but they also aren’t going to help you with a fair trade. Depending on how this expansion draft shakes out with the Kraken and the trades they make, teams with cap space now could find themselves out all over again.
A good GM knows that Tampa is $10 mill over, will need to pay Point, Serg and Erik the next two seasons and will pay pennies on the dollar. Look at Nashville to get an idea of what your returns will likely be

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Totally psyched to watch Stamkos go on LTIR for 21-22 due to "post traumatic cup celebrating" or something like that.

See you in the spring Stammer. :thumbu:

Reactions: Lt Dan

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
All teams are competition for all teams.

You are a Kings fan. Would you not want the Kings to beat a low ball offer by a team like the Ducks?

That directly hurts your team. What is the logic in that?
Why? Think about that, why?
There’s so much talent available with the expansion draft, buyouts and UFA that it’s become a buyers market.
Granted, I should have just said that lol… it’s a buyers market that will stagnate the market.. also, take a peak at what these young Dman are getting to have an idea of what Serg and Cernak will try to get and Point is a $9 mill per player on the lightning… so again, leverage

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Why? Think about that, why?
There’s so much talent available with the expansion draft, buyouts and UFA that it’s become a buyers market.
Granted, I should have just said that lol… it’s a buyers market that will stagnate the market.. also, take a peak at what these young Dman are getting to have an idea of what Serg and Cernak will try to get and Point is a $9 mill per player on the lightning… so again, leverage

Your team just traded a 2nd and 3rd for Arvidsson. Palat, Killorn and Gourde are all better.

So as a Kings fan you’d be happy to trade what you did for Arvidsson and then watch a team in your division give up less for a better player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad