Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Jake Guentzel | 7 years, $9M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To me this wasn't a Stamkos vs Guentzel issue, it was a Stamkos vs Cirelli one. BriseBois clearly sees Cirelli as his 2C and needs to surround him with better wingers. Guentzel is far superior these days at 5v5 so the 2nd line won't be a blackhole again. It's also why Sergachev was traded and not him. The Sergachev trade also brought in a potential 2C so that Cirelli in a few years can go back to 3C and with the cap rising won't be overpaid for it.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
i’m happy. will get ugly in the later years but once hedman falls off our window will be closed anyways

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
So now they have 7.5 left. Let's see if Sheary is moved today to get them to 9.5, then after Moser gets 2.5-3 probably, and they promote Lilleberg or Crozier as the 7D, they'll have approximately 6 left for 4 F spots. 2 of them will be low cost near league min/Syracuse promotions, so.now somewhere between 4 and 4.5 for the last 2 spots. 3.5ish on one and 800k to 1 million on the other is my guess. It's a solid deal for Guentzel overall.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Today could be a wild ride. If we are just replacing Stamkos with Guentzel, I think we got a little better, mostly because of 5v5, but I wouldn't get too crazy with it. We are still losing a guy who would've put up 30 minimum next year. We need to do more.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Ooof. Another 1Mil over. JBB proving he's really not good with the contracts he gives.

Happy to have Guentzel the player though, not happy we have 3 players signed at 9+

Reactions: Meuracas

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
To me this wasn't a Stamkos vs Guentzel issue, it was a Stamkos vs Cirelli one. BriseBois clearly sees Cirelli as his 2C and needs to surround him with better wingers. Guentzel is far superior these days at 5v5 so the 2nd line won't be a blackhole again. It's also why Sergachev was traded and not him. The Sergachev trade also brought in a potential 2C so that Cirelli in a few years can go back to 3C and with the cap rising won't be overpaid for it.
Thats an interesting view of it, I like it.

Reactions: gn2007

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ooof. Another 1Mil over. JBB proving he's really not good with the contracts he gives.

Happy to have Guentzel the player though, not happy we have 3 players signed at 9+
It obviously wasn't gonna be 8 when he turned down Carolina's 8x8 offer.

I ain't mad about it, paid fairly for what he brings and he cost nothing to acquire.
Sergachev, Stamkos, + 3rd ;p

If JBB doesn't have something else up his sleeve though, I think we are only slightly better than last year.

Reactions: Rschmitz

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm in the camp of we got better but only by a little. We still need to make something happen to bring more scoring depth.

With Guentzel in it moves Paul back where he belongs on the 3rd line, so the bottom 6 should get a boost right there. Goncalves is no longer waiver exempt so I expect him to get a serious look at 3C. And I know everyone hates Sheary but I think he can bounce back to 30 points next season if we have a better 3C than Motte. I like Motte back as a 4th like LW.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
With Guentzel in it moves Paul back where he belongs on the 3rd line, so the bottom 6 should get a boost right there. Goncalves is no longer waiver exempt so I expect him to get a serious look at 3C. And I know everyone hates Sheary but I think he can bounce back to 30 points next season if we have a better 3C than Motte. I like Motte back as a 4th like LW.
Paul was never gonna be on the top 2 lines. He didn't play up there for the last few months of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad