Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I still think Ottawa is probably focused on Cousins in FA and a bottom pair D in trade.

What teams trying to get younger? JBD for veteran 3rd pair guy?

A trade for a defenseman will probably be about another team clearing cap or money.

I don't think JBD has any value in a trade, but Ottawa would make another team take him to clear 1-way money. We aren't a "budget" team, but every team except the few like Toronto and the rangers has a budget. Teams don't like burying 1-way money.

As in, if we took someone like Bear from Washington, they would take JBD even if they didn't want him. That would even it out a bit.

Ethan Bear? Luke Schenn? Cody Ceci?

It will be someone nobody is excited about, and they are available for a reason but fit that mould of a veteran who can play 15-18 minutes.

Reactions: NB613

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Yeah, I’m saying we missed the boat on the buyout.
SS specifically said they wanted Hamonic's vet leadership so he wasn't going anywhere. I expect he'll be in the press box for a lot of games. Maybe not playing regularly will allow him to be effective when he does play.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
i expect they bring another D in

jbd is not good enough
He wasn't good enough to make up for Chychrun's defensive lapses, that's for sure (that's who he spent the vast amount of his time with last season, over 50%). He was passable playing with Sanderson in limited minutes (because of Sanderson, I'm sure), terrible with Chabot (who also has defensive lapses), and less terrible with Brannstrom. I think he and Kleven can be a decent pairing so long as they avoid trying to do to much and see some sheltered minutes so they can continue to grow.

That said, Utah is building something and some guys are going to get squeezed out. If there is anyway to get Kesselring and McBain I'd love to see Staios do it - JBD could be a piece going back.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He wasn't good enough to make up for Chychrun's defensive lapses, that's for sure (that's who he spent the vast amount of his time with last season, over 50%). He was passable playing with Sanderson in limited minutes (because of Sanderson, I'm sure), terrible with Chabot (who also has defensive lapses), and less terrible with Brannstrom. I think he and Kleven can be a decent pairing so long as they avoid trying to do to much and see some sheltered minutes so they can continue to grow.

That said, Utah is building something and some guys are going to get squeezed out. If there is anyway to get Kesselring and McBain I'd love to see Staios do it - JBD could be a piece going back.
so hes terrible without sanderson and we think he will be fine with a rookie?

putting JBD with Kleven is a great way to handicap kleven as a rookie

its not happening imo

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
so hes terrible without sanderson and we think he will be fine with a rookie?

putting JBD with Kleven is a great way to handicap kleven as a rookie

its not happening imo
My take away is that JBD worked well with a partner that plays a sound defensive game and struggled with partners that high danger opportunities against due to defensive lapses.

Kleven is a defensively minded defenseman, not one that jumps into the rush. He and JBD are similar in that regard, so if they do play together then I'll hope that they can keep things in check for 16 or so minutes per game.

Certainly there will be frustrating nights, but this team is still going to generate plenty of those with or without JBD (again though, I'd welcome a deal for an upgrade, just don't know how Staios manages that).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did Kleven and JBD play together in NoDak?
Not that I remember. Kleven was very firmly on the third pair.

Adam Boqvist
Tyson Barrie
Kevin Shattenkirk
Justin Shultz

I know some of these aren't ideal but let's be honest they're all better than what we have.
Barrie on the third pair playing real third pair minutes would probably be pretty effective.

Shultz as well
Shattenkirk i think is washed but I may be wrong.

I don’t think management is looking at boqvist

Jbd has defensive lapses of his own to worry about.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Year 1 . 2.5M
Year 2. 5M

5M will be his next QO

He will be 25 years old at the end of this contract, so he will be 2 full seasons away from UFA, he would also have not accrued 7 seasons due to the injuries and burning a year.

Sens have basically protected themselves from a Debrincat scenario. He would need to sign 2 QO's in back to back years to walk into free agency.

Wouldn't his qualifying offer be 5.5M?

I'm often seeing people listing qualifying offers as the same as the last year's salary, when it most definitely used to be last salary+10%.

Has this changed recently for so many people to not include the +10% or is everyone forgetting that part?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
My take away is that JBD worked well with a partner that plays a sound defensive game and struggled with partners that high danger opportunities against due to defensive lapses.

Kleven is a defensively minded defenseman, not one that jumps into the rush. He and JBD are similar in that regard, so if they do play together then I'll hope that they can keep things in check for 16 or so minutes per game.

Certainly there will be frustrating nights, but this team is still going to generate plenty of those with or without JBD (again though, I'd welcome a deal for an upgrade, just don't know how Staios manages that).
issue with a kleven-jbd pairing for me is the lack of experience. If this was 2 seasons ago sure give them a chance, but this season we have to show a significant step forward (preferably playoffs). Plus since we didnt buy out hamonic we cant even keep either of them in the press box/rotation as needed. So in my opinion we need an upgrade on this pairing and it just makes more sense to try and upgrade on jbd

Reactions: Blotto71 and jake1

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
issue with a kleven-jbd pairing for me is the lack of experience. If this was 2 seasons ago sure give them a chance, but this season we have to show a significant step forward (preferably playoffs). Plus since we didnt buy out hamonic we cant even keep either of them in the press box/rotation as needed. So in my opinion we need an upgrade on this pairing and it just makes more sense to try and upgrade on jbd
I don't disagree, it is concerning. I suspect though that JBD will become a very serviceable 3rd pairing D, but if he can be upgraded through trade, great. I would really rather not see him dumped for nothing so the Sens can add an aging replacement for the sake of "experience" - especially for what should be 16 minutes per game of mostly manageable opposition.

I get that the desire is playoffs, but I think Staios being able to fix everything Dorion did wrong in one off season is a tall order. I'm tempering my expectations for this season.

Reactions: LiseL

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't hate JBD as the #7 but with the roster as currently constructed he's getting that bottom pairing spot. I like Shattenkirk next to Kleven but at this point he's not a guy you can play 82 games.

I'm not sure there's a good fit left in FA for that RD spot, might need to be a trade scenario but obviously the cap also affects what level of player can be brought in, as there's no clear and obvious player to ship out now unless they change their mind on Forsberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad