OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No, $30,000 is all for me. But millions around the world just like me. Did same thing.
I’m thinking of going in with ETF investments rather than individual stocks and doing DCA. I’ll concurrently invest similar amounts in mutual funds with a financial advisor and then compare the net outcome after fees over say one year. I want to find out if I can beat the advisor using ETFs alone.

What positions did you end up selling off, if I may ask?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’m thinking of going in with ETF investments rather than individual stocks and doing DCA. I’ll concurrently invest similar amounts in mutual funds with a financial advisor and then compare the net outcome after fees over say one year. I want to find out if I can beat the advisor using ETFs alone.

What positions did you end up selling off, if I may ask?
I sold a bunch of value stocks. A mix of bank, railroad, Emera. I bought low earlier in year, took the profit.

My portfolio is mainly value stocks, banks, railroads, utilities, 80-90%, it varies year to year. I invest the rest, 10-20% in next hot thing. I was in Tesla for the big years. Bitcoin for about 6 months. Apple when first iPhone came out. Up until Steve Jobs died. I sold out which was mistake. Microsoft when desktop computers first came about. Presently I hold some AI. I like to invest what I just sold into quantum computing.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This post isn't as interesting as @Scintillating10 's, but I put almost half in the total stock market, almost half in bonds, and a little bit in undervalued stocks with reliable dividends.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Chapter 8 of Benjamin Graham’s book “The Intelligent Investor” is titled “The Investor and Market Fluctuations”. In this chapter, Graham discusses how an investor can handle market fluctuations in a way that limits their emotional exposure while positioning them for long-term gains. He mentions that swings in the market may be as high as 50% increases from an issue’s lowest price and 33% decreases of the issue’s highest price. Graham advises investors to be comfortable with the fact that the market will swing over the course of time and to capitalize on these fluctuations. He suggests two ways to do so: timing and pricing. The first involves anticipating the action of the stock market and buying or holding when the future seems promising, and selling or refraining from buying when the future looks bleak. However, Graham warns that by trying to time the market, the investor is very likely to become a speculator, therefore reaping the results of a speculator as well. The second way is to take advantage of buying after each major decline, and selling after each major advance. Graham reminds us that even if one trend seems to be a “new-wave” of the market, it is likely to end.
In summary, Chapter 8 of “The Intelligent Investor” provides insights into how an investor can handle market fluctuations in a way that limits their emotional exposure while positioning them for long-term gains.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Chapter 8 of Benjamin Graham’s book “The Intelligent Investor” is titled “The Investor and Market Fluctuations”. In this chapter, Graham discusses how an investor can handle market fluctuations in a way that limits their emotional exposure while positioning them for long-term gains. He mentions that swings in the market may be as high as 50% increases from an issue’s lowest price and 33% decreases of the issue’s highest price. Graham advises investors to be comfortable with the fact that the market will swing over the course of time and to capitalize on these fluctuations. He suggests two ways to do so: timing and pricing. The first involves anticipating the action of the stock market and buying or holding when the future seems promising, and selling or refraining from buying when the future looks bleak. However, Graham warns that by trying to time the market, the investor is very likely to become a speculator, therefore reaping the results of a speculator as well. The second way is to take advantage of buying after each major decline, and selling after each major advance. Graham reminds us that even if one trend seems to be a “new-wave” of the market, it is likely to end.
In summary, Chapter 8 of “The Intelligent Investor” provides insights into how an investor can handle market fluctuations in a way that limits their emotional exposure while positioning them for long-term gains.

Warren Buffett, a Graham student, warns against market timing and recommends holding for the long term.
You pick what you should do.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Warren Buffett, a Graham student, warns against market timing and recommends holding for the long term.
You pick what you should do.
When something bad happens, like a war breaking out, the market will take a pounding. But it won't last. He said it could drop as much as a third. But will rise again about 50% more than what it was.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
When something bad happens, like a war breaking out, the market will take a pounding. But it won't last. He said it could drop as much as a third. But will rise again about 50% more than what it was.

Yeah, the only "timing" I find is acceptable is if you buy a little bit (or maybe even a lot) more after the market drops. Otherwise you keep the regular investment over time. Trying to time the top is a dangerous endeavour.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Yeah, the only "timing" I find is acceptable is if you buy a little bit (or maybe even a lot) more after the market drops. Otherwise you keep the regular investment over time. Trying to time the top is a dangerous endeavour.
Agreed. Buying after a drop, DCA, and holding are the only strategies that work. Except for buying after a drop, you can't time the market. Once you realize that, you will be successful.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
ETFs vs. Mutual Fund investing — does he have a point:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Chapter 20 of Benjamin Graham’s book “The Intelligent Investor” is titled “The Margin of Safety as the Central Concept of Investment”. In this chapter, Graham revisits the core of the text which is the “Margin of Safety”. The Margin of Safety is the single-most important concept that Graham speaks about throughout the book and is at the heart of the Value Investing Philosophy. Graham explains that the Margin of Safety is the difference between the intrinsic value of a stock and its market price. He emphasizes that investors should only buy stocks when they are priced substantially below their intrinsic value. Graham also highlights the importance of achieving a margin of safety in investing. He advises investors to be patient and disciplined in the face of market fluctuations. Graham reminds us that even if one trend seems to be a “new-wave” of the market, it is likely to end.
In summary, Chapter 20 of “The Intelligent Investor” provides insights into the importance of the Margin of Safety as the central concept of investment. Graham emphasizes that investors should only buy stocks when they are priced substantially below their intrinsic value and highlights the importance of achieving a margin of safety in investing. He also reminds us to be patient and disciplined in the face of market fluctuations.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

This guy most definitely has a point. Fees eat away at potential profits. I think if you want to invest on your own a "couch potato" strategy is great if you want to keep things simple. Keep the MER low and ride the market and readjust. The ETF market has now got many more great options to choose from and even ones that do the balancing for you. It's extremely popular and easy with the discount brokerages. The hard part is not getting lost in a maze of opinions and emotions when you invest on your own... so try to keep it simple. Maybe find a good book intead of getting steered in all directions by researching on the internet. Most strategies are not that different in the end.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
How do you know when the drop is done dropping?

Reactions: Runner77

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Let's talk about stocks, baby
Let's talk about intel and apple
Let's talk about all the good things
And the bad things that may be
Let's talk about stocks

Let's talk about stocks for now
To the people at home or in the crowd
It keeps coming up anyhow
Don't decoy, avoid, or make void the topic
Cuz that ain't gonna stop it

Now we talk about stocks on the radio and video shows
Many will know anything goes
Let's tell it like it is, and how it could be
How it was, and of course, how it should be

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

they both serve a purpose, ETF's open up a whole new world, Mutual Funds aren't going anywhere with the big institutions. Crypto and ETF's may be something special for example.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This guy most definitely has a point. Fees eat away at potential profits. I think if you want to invest on your own a "couch potato" strategy is great if you want to keep things simple. Keep the MER low and ride the market and readjust. The ETF market has now got many more great options to choose from and even ones that do the balancing for you. It's extremely popular and easy with the discount brokerages. The hard part is not getting lost in a maze of opinions and emotions when you invest on your own... so try to keep it simple. Maybe find a good book intead of getting steered in all directions by researching on the internet. Most strategies are not that different in the end.
Just buy a major value stock. Something like a Roal Bank, Should average 15% return annually. With the dividend included

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Mutual funds are more expensive than ETFs generally in terms of MERs, and are usually 'active' funds, so they try to beat the indices (S&P500, TSX, NASDAQ, etc.). They return less than indices 80% of the time, so most people are better off going through plain vanilla index ETFs. Unfortunately, when you're a DIY, you don't get as much service from financial institutions as if you invest in their in-house products.

If you have less than a 100K, ETFs or Mutual funds it doesn't really matter, the biggest change in value you'll get is from your contributions, but once you get to more than 100K, you can probably go and take a look at options.

Most people should just follow the canadian couch potato way and let it ride the wave.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Christ, did not know we had a stocks thread here.

On watch for a buy -> DUOL.

Recent IPO ARM is looking good here too, might punch for all time high when he will get out of its short term consolidation.

ACLX consolidating tightly in ATH (~14% from recent high to recent low.) Another week in those parameter and the next leg up might be explosive.

Dang, my stocks calls are even better than my hockey calls

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
15% a year is asking a lot for a bank stock lol. It returned 43% gross the past 5 years and the market is at all time highs.
I've held Royal Bank since about 1984. It was like $3 a share back then. $133 now.

About 10% return+ 4.5% yield you will get. Double my money about every 5 years. Averaged out over long term. I've never had a Mutual Fund come close to that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
15% a year is asking a lot for a bank stock lol. It returned 43% gross the past 5 years and the market is at all time highs.
I’m getting into the market more regularly starting in January using a DCA approach and mostly focusing on ETFs / some mutual funds.

I’d also like to add a couple of individual stocks that I could hold for the year or longer. Any feedback on what those of you in this thread are doing, would be appreciated as I’ll do my own research but am only looking for a few targets if anyone cares to share. Thx in advance.

Any feedback on from

I've held Royal Bank since about 1984. It was like $3 a share back then. $133 now.

About 10% return+ 4.5% yield you will get. Double my money about every 5 years. Averaged out over long term. I've never had a Mutual Fund come close to that.
How has the Royal compared with other Canadian bank stocks — has it outperformed them say in the last 5 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad