OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Not saying one person could stop bitcoin but if the government or dictator control the telecom wouldn’t they be able to restrict or limit access on a territory… all 3 issues are pretty big delimma, and I still don’t see scenario where money is useless and bitcoin is the solution. Also not saying the the info isn’t good but Binance academy might have to take that with a grain of salt if that the same Binance that pleaded guilty 4b$ for money laundering not sure a crypto exchange will be making a neutral or the best case against cryptocurrency info might be skew toward the positive…

It is digital currency so if a dictator shuts down Internet then yes that country will have limited access. A dictator can take control of Banks or other financial institution + manipulate national currency. However you can move to another country with your crypto wallet and access it from there. Don't think anyone expects Fiat currency to go away anytime soon. Crypto is about offering alternative/complementary ways of payment and helping create new economic opportunities.

Yes centralized exchanges (DEX) like FTX, Binance and others have misbehaved but regulation is coming to build more trust which will help in the end. Despite CEX faux-pas crypto values have not suffered too much because of that even if individuals holding assets there lost. Cold storage is one way to avoid storing crypto by 3rd parties.

Reactions: CHarlie

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It is digital currency so if a dictator shuts down Internet then yes that country will have limited access. A dictator can take control of Banks or other financial institution + manipulate national currency. However you can move to another country with your crypto wallet and access it from there. Don't think anyone expects Fiat currency to go away anytime soon. Crypto is about offering alternative/complementary ways of payment and helping create new economic opportunities.

Yes centralized exchanges (DEX) like FTX, Binance and others have misbehaved but regulation is coming to build more trust which will help in the end. Despite CEX faux-pas crypto values have not suffered too much because of that even if individuals holding assets there lost. Cold storage is one way to avoid storing crypto by 3rd parties.
No different from our current system. Dictators could shut down and take control. Heck, the US did that with Gold in the 30's.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
No different from our current system. Dictators could shut down and take control. Heck, the US did that with Gold in the 30's.

Dictators can ban crypto like China did with Bitcoin but they can't really take control of it.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
VFV basically holds VOO as opposed to the companies themselves, but trades in Canadian currency. So, from my understanding, as long as the Canadian dollar is weaker than the US dollar, it's advantageous to hold VFV as a Canadian.
Thanks.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Roughly what is your distribution? I'm

89% VTI
10% JPST
1% VZ
BTC is probably about 30% of my portfolio right now and growing ;)
(and no, I didn't just get on the bandwagon recently, my book cost is probably close to 5%).

70% or the rest are in, mostly individual stocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Grimm

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
S&P finished today at 52 week high. Over 4,600. I hope 4,600 is in rear view mirror. I hate thought of another pull back. I am hoping for S&P around 5,200 a year from now

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
DOW closed at all time high. S&P500 within 1% of all time high. Russell2000 had big gains last 2 months. Getting back all the losses of last 2 years.

Despite all these wars and threats of wars. High inflation, high gas prices.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
DOW closed at all time high. S&P500 within 1% of all time high. Russell2000 had big gains last 2 months. Getting back all the losses of last 2 years.

Despite all these wars and threats of wars. High inflation, high gas prices.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've heard that many times before from experts. In fact, nobody knows. When COVID first hit the market nose dived. Then came roaring back to highs it never seen before. A fortune was made in oil during the early COVID years.

I expect a slight pull back in early 2024. But economy too strong for it to turn into major dip in market

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
investing is boring. just put it all in an index fund and forget about it. even day traders say that's what they do, in private.

depends on your age, needs.. some solutions are better than others. Recession will wipe a lot of gains, I'm doing a few different strats , probably head into bonds soon as the rates start to drop and rotate with the trends a bit.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
depends on your age, needs.. some solutions are better than others. Recession will wipe a lot of gains, I'm doing a few different strats , probably head into bonds soon as the rates start to drop and rotate with the trends a bit.

How are you buying/finding the bonds?

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
through my brokerage , now's the time to buy for sure.

Agreed.

@Habs We're both smart. Fortunately, I put half my portfolio in bonds at 10:35 before the market fell.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I did some profit taking this morning, pre-market. I sold a bunch of shares. I figure they be lower sometime early 2024. Can get back in if I want

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad