OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think I beleived in that show like the 3 first seasons. They always had good excuses. The same could apply with previous Habs gms, including Gainey. I would say from 2017 I stopped beleive on that fraud.
I ask myself, who is watching that show and my answer is old senile people who have too much patience. They don't realise time is passing by. They have lost the notion of being wise and time. The other shows you mention are even worse. Just by the visual presentation you can see it's a fraud. I once had customers who were watching Alien Theory, or Nos anceres les Extraterrestres in french. I couldn't beleive real people beleive in that bullshit. That show should not be allowded to be on tv.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@Runner77 did you watch it yet? Let us know your thoughts. I think that and Col Nathan R. Jessup, might be my two favourite performances ever.
Got through 3/4 of it last night and enjoying the story. Plus Laura Linney is in it and you can see a belligerent and cunning side of her character (with those engaging, sexually-charged mannerisms and looks that cut through the screen) that she was able to ramp up many years later in Ozark.

Norton’s character comes through as well, (earned an Academy Award nomination for his supporting role for a reason) just not a fan of Richard Gere and his flirtatious and narcissistic mannerisms and quirky smile that detract from dramatic scenes. He’s always been better at romcoms, playing lighter roles IMHO.

Those 90s fashion styles with the oversized shoulder padding make all the fashionistas of the time look caricatural but you can look past that as the story is compelling. Frances McDormand also delivers a fine performance.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
All this Edward Norton talk and nobody mentions Kingdom of Heaven? That movie f***ing rules
Edward Norton is a good actor who had a short highlight life. Sadly, today's Hollywood actors are settled in a specific role. Stallone always play a kind of role, Nicholson always play a specific role and the same apply for 70% of actors. There is no longer cameleon actors. I think the niche for Norton didn't live long enough and he didn't get other kind of roles. Blame the Hollywood way of casting. Everything is simplified and predictable. I don't see Norton playing in an alternate production movie. Maybe he can bounce in a good tv serie, this is the place for creativity today. Or maybe he can play in a independent uk movie, I don't know. He's also a producer since 2000.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Wait it took you all this time to realize it's a fraud? I watched 2-3 episodes and i was like those guys are full of ****. There's many shows like that. Couple of them are even worse as they "try" to solve past murder giving false hope to people who turned the page decades ago. We all know they wont find anything cause the show was recorded a year before and if they would have found anything we would know it by now. Also well they are not better than all the investigators who worked on the case often more than once ...

Even worse than nobody mention Rounders.
Sooooo true, Rounders is sick

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Somewhere in the middle.
flanderschrist.gif

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I watched the final episode of "Under the banner of Heaven" last night. Man, those Mormons were seriously deranged. Good series 7/10

I'm stuck at episode #2.
Not really surprised that I lost interest so quickly, over the top religious theme is a very good way to alienate me.

Reactions: peate and Runner77

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Just discovered The Expanse. Watched the first season and was pleasantly surprised. Very good sci-fi.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Got through 3/4 of it last night and enjoying the story. Plus Laura Linney is in it and you can see a belligerent and cunning side of her character (with those engaging, sexually-charged mannerisms and looks that cut through the screen) that she was able to ramp up many years later in Ozark.

Norton’s character comes through as well, (earned an Academy Award nomination for his supporting role for a reason) just not a fan of Richard Gere and his flirtatious and narcissistic mannerisms and quirky smile that detract from dramatic scenes. He’s always been better at romcoms, playing lighter roles IMHO.

Those 90s fashion styles with the oversized shoulder padding make all the fashionistas of the time look caricatural but you can look past that as the story is compelling. Frances McDormand also delivers a fine performance.
I agree on Gere. Although I must say, I can look past all the things you mention with him and say I’m still a fan. An officer and a gentleman is a performance I loved and he earned my respect from that one.

It’s another must see if you haven’t already in my opinion. Your opinion of gere may change and it may not.

Reactions: Runner77

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm getting a good laugh at the old Kung Fu episodes. It seemed so cool at the time, but he was so stoic and peaceful, he was lucky to escape each time. The last one was pretty good; about the young girl with the mandolin. She befriends him, and then falsely accuses him of shooting a guy. Just as they're about to lynch him, she changes her story.

It makes for easy watching before anything more serious, or just for something to pass tie time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree on Gere. Although I must say, I can look past all the things you mention with him and say I’m still a fan. An officer and a gentleman is a performance I loved and he earned my respect from that one.

It’s another must see if you haven’t already in my opinion. Your opinion of gere may change and it may not.
Saw An officer and a gentleman many moons ago, have a vague recollection that it was a good movie.

Loved the plot twist at the end of Primal Fear, Norton’s transformation is shocking and exposes how the judicial system despite all of its means to arrive at the truth, can be manipulated.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Saw An officer and a gentleman many moons ago, have a vague recollection that is was a good movie.

Loved the plot twist at the end of Primal Fear, Norton’s transformation is shocking and exposes how the judicial system despite all of its means to arrive at the truth, can be manipulated.
Yeah, imo this performance by Norton is outstanding. I have a hard time finding a better straight up acting performance. Like I said, Norton again in American History X and Jack Nicholson in a few good men are 3 of my favourites of all time.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As a Pizza nerd I was excited for Chefstables new season but Bonci is f***ing insufferable and I knew all about Bianco already.

I dont know if Ill keep watching after episode 2.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah, imo this performance by Norton is outstanding. I have a hard time finding a better straight up acting performance. Like I said, Norton again in American History X and Jack Nicholson in a few good men are 3 of my favourites of all time.
Primal Fear : I'm surprised it was his first movie. He was sooo good in that movie. And sooo good in Fight Club. But after that, what can he do to equal this? People compare all the time and it's just too hard to keep that quality. He would do what? Play again that role over and over? No. He was a master in that kind of role but the writers couldn't write that kind of story too often, He had to play different roles so comes deception and he barely played in the last 10 years. It's a casting problem and the Hollywood industry.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Primal Fear : I'm surprised it was his first movie. He was sooo good in that movie. And sooo good in Fight Club. But after that, what can he do to equal this? People compare all the time and it's just too hard to keep that quality. He would do what? Play again that role over and over? No. He was a master in that kind of role but the writers couldn't write that kind of story too often, He had to play different roles so comes deception and he barely played in the last 10 years. It's a casting problem and the Hollywood industry.
Not a casting issue IMHO, but a lack of creative scripts and Hollywood’s stale tendency of going back to formulaic concepts on account of past revenue success. You’d normally see the independents try more daring stuff but now, it’s all about streaming and non-traditional sources running the show and producing a shit ton of material but a lot of it is average.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Some 15 years ago, comedian Pablo Francisco was killing it doing the voice the movies preview guy, including the type of special effects and booming sounds attached to his delivery.

Watching that Marvel trailer, the movies trailer guy still sounds the same.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad