OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Ok folks I’m going to be that guy! Currently watching Unrivaled on the ESPN app. ESPN of course claiming this to be the greatest rivalry in NHL history! Seriously! Not Habs Bruins, not Habs Leafs, not even Bruins Rangers but Red Wings Avalanche! This is the problem with Americanized slants on hockey, and I am an American! Just like they so embrace USA Olympic teams and gloss over Team Canada triumphs for both the men and women. I’m not dismissing the achievements of USA hockey but good lord stop the constant schilling! I guess you can title this one “old man yells at cloud “

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Ok folks I’m going to be that guy! Currently watching Unrivaled on the ESPN app. ESPN of course claiming this to be the greatest rivalry in NHL history! Seriously! Not Habs Bruins, not Habs Leafs, not even Bruins Rangers but Red Wings Avalanche! This is the problem with Americanized slants on hockey, and I am an American! Just like they so embrace USA Olympic teams and gloss over Team Canada triumphs for both the men and women. I’m not dismissing the achievements of USA hockey but good lord stop the constant schilling! I guess you can title this one “old man yells at cloud “
All because Claude Lemieux checked Kris Draper from behind and sent him face first into the dasher board. I remember those series, wasn't pretty. AVS and Wings split 5 cups in 7 years. It was real hatred and maybe #3 in rivalries. Habs and Bruins come in at #2, it's been an ongoing battle since the beginning.

Now most rivalries start and end on the ice, but this battle extended into the general public, and actually turned friends and family members against each other. No need to explain further, we all know what the #1 rivalry was, and could be again one day.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
All because Claude Lemieux checked Kris Draper from behind and sent him face first into the dasher board. I remember those series, wasn't pretty. AVS and Wings split 5 cups in 7 years. It was real hatred and maybe #3 in rivalries. Habs and Bruins come in at #2, it's been an ongoing battle since the beginning.

Now most rivalries start and end on the ice, but this battle extended into the general public, and actually turned friends and family members against each other. No need to explain further, we all know what the #1 rivalry was, and could be again one day.
I’m not sure who you think the number 1 rivalry is, but it’s easily Bruins vs Habs. Leafs vs Habs is mostly a fantasy and was never a rivalry like Bruins vs Habs imo. Nordiques vs Habs was never B’s vs Habs good either imo.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I’m not sure who you think the number 1 rivalry is, but it’s easily Bruins vs Habs. Leafs vs Habs is mostly a fantasy and was never a rivalry like Bruins vs Habs imo. Nordiques vs Habs was never B’s vs Habs good either imo.
When it spills over into your everyday life, and actually divides families; I know cause I lived it, nothing comes close, IMO. Bruins were irrelevant for many years. How can you even compare anything to the Good Friday massacre. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I found this Rowan Atkinson short series. It's 9 little sketches about a man and a bee. Man vs Bee.

Outrageously funny.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
When it spills over into your everyday life, and actually divides families; I know cause I lived it, nothing comes close, IMO. Bruins were irrelevant for many years. How can you even compare anything to the Good Friday massacre. :laugh:
Funny how you say Bruins were irrelevant for many years when the Nordiques were basically irrelevant for their entire existence. Outside of Quebec no one cared about them. the B’s vs Habs rivalry also split families, just not in Quebec. I’ve seen it myself as well. One series gone off the rails doesn’t compare to the history Habs vs B’s have.

This is like oilers/flames fans thinking the battle of Alberta is the greatest rivalry in hockey, it isn’t. I also think Detroit/Colorado trumps the battle of Quebec. These were the two best teams in the world sharing cups back and forth for 3/4 of a decade.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I saw Elvis last night.

I have to say first that I'm born in 88, never really listened to Elvis except whatever is played on radio or during a wedding...

I was always curious about his story and was looking forward to that movie.

I really enjoyed the movie and I give it a solid 8/10.

What did it for me in the editing, it's brilliant. Definitely helped the story and to sum up his career, Actor playing elvis is excellent. I don't like Tom Hanks, but in this movie he was doing a decent job.

Only 2 things that bothered me... I knew by reading the reviews that it was centered around the manager, a bit too much to my taste but again I don't like tom hanks and the manager is an annoying person in general. Movie does a good job at letting the viewer make their own decision on the type of person he is. Second thing I didn't like, I just wished there was more full signing performance, kind of like the Cash movie, but everything else is really well made.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
...I've actually recently re-watched the original Jurassic Park with my grandsons...yes, it's absurd, but it was and still is an entertaining movie...the new one was just 2 1/2 hours of my life gone...and I can't afford to lose those hours these days...:laugh:
I remember seeing the first 2 or 3 and they all pretty much seemed the same more or less. You're telling me that the new one is more of a joke than those?:eek3:

There doesn't seem to be much on TV to watch these days but I checked out the first 2 episodes of the new Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow FX series "The Old Man" recently and I thought it was pretty decent and I'll continue to watch.

Saw the trailer some time ago and looked intriguing,hope it's a good as the bit I saw. Kind of a geriatric Jason Bourne eh?:laugh:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I remember seeing the first 2 or 3 and they all pretty much seemed the same more or less. You're telling me that the new one is more of a joke than those?:eek3:

...the first one is "Gone with the Wind" compared to the new one...I dunno how you make a dinosaur movie soo incredibly boring, even for kids, but they accomplished it...even the grandkids hated it...

Reactions: angusyoung

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Funny how you say Bruins were irrelevant for many years when the Nordiques were basically irrelevant for their entire existence. Outside of Quebec no one cared about them. the B’s vs Habs rivalry also split families, just not in Quebec. I’ve seen it myself as well. One series gone off the rails doesn’t compare to the history Habs vs B’s have.

This is like oilers/flames fans thinking the battle of Alberta is the greatest rivalry in hockey, it isn’t. I also think Detroit/Colorado trumps the battle of Quebec. These were the two best teams in the world sharing cups back and forth for 3/4 of a decade.

In what Universe are you living, bro? Don't you remember the Good Friday Massacre?

Reactions: dinodebino

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Settle down lads, no need to get our hands crooked! I was merely pointing out the arrogance of ESPN shilling the Red Wings Avalanche rivalry over all of the classic rivalries of the sports great past. Including all of those mentioned. Go in peace brothers!

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
...the first one is "Gone with the Wind" compared to the new one...I dunno how you make a dinosaur movie soo incredibly boring, even for kids, but they accomplished it...even the grandkids hated it...
Gone with the wind,that was a classic! Remember the hype and anticipation and going to the theater early only to find there was no spots left to park the horse.:jk:

Think I'll have to see it at some point when available for in house viewing as I do enjoy occasionally a hearty guffaw,snort and shredding. I've walked out of many a movies over the years,even attempted mid-flight:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Most of the greatest movie classics are extremely boring to watch today. Try to watch Casablanca and last to the end. Years ago I gave Citizen Kane as Xmas gift and my son couldn't watch till the end. He gave me back the dvd and I tryed to watch it. I couldn't last more than 20 minutes. And movie experts rank this movie greatest of all time.

Old bw romance movies are very boring too. Chaplin can still make people laught and some noir movies can catch the attention like The Big Sleep or White Heat. Some classic westerns can be good too, especially when it's in colour (ex : The Searchers). Of course, classics of the late 60's are much more modern, some of them are directed like if they were comic books (spaghetti westerns that influenced Tarantino). My avatar is from an excellent police movie with an excellent music by Lalo Shiffrin. Easy Rider was another iconic movie that changed the movie industry. Late 60's was the prelude of the seventies that include Dirty Harry, The Godfather and One flew over a cuckoo's nest, to name a few.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Saw the trailer some time ago and looked intriguing,hope it's a good as the bit I saw. Kind of a geriatric Jason Bourne eh?:laugh:
Pretty much. :) I've watched the first 3 episodes now (another airing tonight) and it's been pretty decent IMO but I tend to like this genre of TV shows.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Pretty much. :) I've watched the first 3 episodes now (another airing tonight) and it's been pretty decent IMO but I tend to like this genre of TV shows.
Good to know. I'll check it out once it's all wrapped up and binge it,if you think it will be worth it.So I guess I'm counting on you for and impartial opinion as I like those type shows/films as well.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Good to know. I'll check it out once it's all wrapped up and binge it,if you think it will be worth it.So I guess I'm counting on you for and impartial opinion as I like those type shows/films as well.
If you like these type of shows then I'd say you'll probably somewhat enjoy it. I really like the dogs. :)

The IMDB ratings are also doing pretty well so far as well so we'll see if it holds for the rest of the season but since there isn't much else on right now to watch it fills a void for me.

• Wow

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Stranger Things season 4 : Absolutely loved the ending, This season really brings the best of what I loved from the first season. And despites episode stretching from 1H10 to 2H30, not a whole lot of downtime. 8.8\10

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If you like these type of shows then I'd say you'll probably somewhat enjoy it. I really like the dogs. :)

The IMDB ratings are also doing pretty well so far as well so we'll see if it holds for the rest of the season but since there isn't much else on right now to watch it fills a void for me.
Dogs? the woof woof type or the ugly,homely women type ''dogs''.I'm partial to the woof woof types:laugh:

I will use that site as well to get a gauge,of course you always find a few radicals on that site.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Dogs? the woof woof type or the ugly,homely women type ''dogs''.I'm partial to the woof woof types:laugh:

I will use that site as well to get a gauge,of course you always find a few radicals on that site.
:laugh: No the woof woof type of dogs. There's 2 what look like Rottweiler's in the series and they're pretty awesome.

jeff-bridges-freya-cain-dogs-old-man-premiere-pics.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Stranger Things season 4 : Absolutely loved the ending, This season really brings the best of what I loved from the first season. And despites episode stretching from 1H10 to 2H30, not a whole lot of downtime. 8.8\10
I thought season 3 was meh and the show was going downhill but man did they pick it up. Really loved season 4.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I thought season 3 was meh and the show was going downhill but man did they pick it up. Really loved season 4.

And even with episode running 1h30 and the last at 2h30.....I wasn't even bored and wanted more and I also thought season 3 was meh (even the 2nd wasn't like the 1st one). They really hit that one out of the ballpark, at least for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad