OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Actually, it should've been Dure à tuer, or Difficile à tuer, or the actual French expression "Dure à Cuire" which is the closest in French to the true meaning of DieHard.

Die Harder could've been Vraiment Dure à Cuire.

Most of those French titles from movies before the turn of the millenium were chosen in France, with a few exceptions.

What makes me laugh is when the French translation (from France) of an English title is another English title.

For example, "The hangover" movie in France was titled "Very bad trip".

Some other ones can be found there
Top 15 des titres de films en anglais traduits … en anglais

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What makes me laugh is when the French translation (from France) of an English title is another English title.

For example, "The hangover" movie in France was titled "Very bad trip".

Some other ones can be found there
Top 15 des titres de films en anglais traduits … en anglais

The French version title of Daredevil always made me laugh.

They kept it as Daredevil but they pronounced it "Dart de ville" in the promo. :laugh:

The worst translation I've seen is for The Dukes of Hazzard. They turned it into this:

X0wOiNj.jpg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
The French version title of Daredevil always made me laugh.

They kept it as Daredevil but they pronounced it "Dart de ville" in the promo. :laugh:

The worst translation I've seen is for The Dukes of Hazzard. They turned it into this:

X0wOiNj.jpg

Yep pretty awful one.

Another bad one was "The love boat" that ended up being titled "La croisière s'amuse" (The cruise is having fun).

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

As a huge fan of the original (Wallander), I hope this can come at least somewhat close.

I tried to watch one of the English series but I ended up laughing. They even use Swedish actors who speak English with a Swedish accent. It would have been better if they used British all around.

Otoh I have problems when watching WWII films and the German Nazis all speak English to each other with strong German accents. I find that hilarious.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I noticed some strange behaviour on the Perry Mason series. When they enter their cars, they enter through the passenger seat and scoot over to the driver seat. Is this something anyone here heard of? It's like the driver's door would be locked and impossible to open!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Chief from Get Smart is a military prosecutor in Perry Mason. I started laughing thinking about one of the clips that I believe Runner posted.

Ed Platt was perfect in his straight faced role as The Chief. He provided Maxwell Smart all the latitude to act as unconventionally as he did. If you can get your hands on those old Get Smart episodes, they are a treat.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
"The Valhalla Murders" is perhaps the darkest TV series I've seen since "Hinterland".

The latter was tough enough to get through, but this... they give you absolutely nothing positive to hold onto in the series. There isn't a comedic moment, there isn't a laughter to be heard, there aren't even many scenes with the sun out. Add in the horrific subject matter and I'm currently debating whether I should keep watching it for the sake of my mental health, four episodes in.

Man, the Welsh know their crime noir, but the Icelanders might have them beat.

Last edited:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
1BR

Wretched

Both good little Netflix films. Nothing spectacular but a good watch. If you liked "the invitation" you'll probably like 1BR.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
In Sweden they called all the Mel Brooks movies for Springtime. Springtime for Hitler. Springtime for the Sheriff, Springtime for Frankenstein and so on. All if them.

Robert Redford is in Perry Mason. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Portait of a Lady on Fire. Goddamn my heart. What a film.

Amazing reviews on this:

France, 1760. Marianne is commissioned to paint the wedding portrait of Héloïse, a young woman who has just left the convent. Because she is a reluctant bride-to-be, Marianne arrives under the guise of companionship, observing Héloïse by day and secretly painting her by firelight at night. As the two women orbit one another, intimacy and attraction grow as they share Héloïse's first moments of freedom. Héloïse's portrait soon becomes a collaborative act of and testament to their love.

Is it only available on Hulu?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In Sweden they called all the Mel Brooks movies for Springtime. Springtime for Hitler. Springtime for the Sheriff, Springtime for Frankenstein and so on. All if them.

Robert Redford is in Perry Mason. :)

What would you call a Perry Mason afficionado? A masonite? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad