OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Crabby old-man moment: What the hell do we need another remake of Batman for? Spoiler alert -- his parents get killed and he becomes a crimefighter who dresses up as a flying rat and is always in a bad mood.

What does it say about this generation that their classic stories come from comic books? Wanna retell the same story again and again -- try reading Shakespeare. Alternatively, try coming up with a new idea.

Time for my porridge and a nap...
Well for every 10 years we need to redo all the greatest moment of cinema :laugh:

Hollywood is devoid of ideas because people (general public) hate the unfamiliar or anything creative. There are only so many ways to retell the same story. They are doing Indiana Jones 5....WHY? That boat sailed a long time ago and Shia wasn't going to be able to carry the franchise.

I agree though. John Wick was the last good series of movies that came out based on an original, though ripped off, character. Its Bond, Bourne, or Reacher in concept, but at least it doesn't inhabit an existing universe. I don't care much for CGI infested movies either. I guess Joker was a very good character study, but it is the batman universe. I liked the Boondock Saints but that is almost 20 years old now. I have turned to terribad movies just because people at least try new stuff. Sometimes they are unintentional master pieces by having comedic value they didn't intend. The Room or Suburban Sasquatch come to mind. Others actually have some entertainment value because you don't have any lofty expectations.

Honestly can't remember too many great movies that are stand alones. I liked true grit a few years ago, but it was a remake of a john wayne movie. Tarantino movies are good, but the music scores and endings disappoint me a bit. Not the music itself, but its out of placeness in a period piece.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I miss most of the late nov-jan movies because they are pandering to the academy by being too high brow in many instances. Actually have a folder on my portable HD that has 40 movies I have been meaning to see. Still haven't seen the Italian Job(I know its a remake as well), Moby Dick, 1971 Get Carter, Altered States, or The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. :thumbu:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Crabby old-man moment: What the hell do we need another remake of Batman for? Spoiler alert -- his parents get killed and he becomes a crimefighter who dresses up as a flying rat and is always in a bad mood.

What does it say about this generation that their classic stories come from comic books? Wanna retell the same story again and again -- try reading Shakespeare. Alternatively, try coming up with a new idea.

Time for my porridge and a nap...

I'm going to put my nerd hat on, so please don't hate.

Batman has been around since the 40's, so almost 80 years. Most of us probably know him since Tim Burton first brought him to the big screen, though some may be aware of him since the Adam West days, which was before my time, but I watched it in syndication.

Of all the superheros, personally, I think Batman is the most interesting. Part of that reason is he one of the most grounded in reality (outside of the obviously comic-bookish gadgets, villains and so forth). Despite the unrealistic scenarios, his personal journey is very human.

Sure, his parents got killed and he becomes a crime fighter, but that's really just looking at it from a high level. His arc explores survivor's guilt, disenchantment with the system and his need to live by his (twisted at times) sense of justice. This is this my general summation, but all three are completely real psychological issues that are pertinent in yesterday's and today's socio-political climate.

His stories have been told, or retold by award winning writers and directors. Sure, they didn't win it for Batman (well, the Killing Joke won an Eisner award), but "serious" writers were interested in Batman and his supporting characters enough to do something with them. I know people will argue about comics and literature, but this isn't the point of my post.

That said, each time Batman has been brought to screen, the stories and interpretations of the character couldn't be any more different.

I'm not sure how to classify the 60's Batman, other than just popcorn camp, but the 80's to 90's Batman really brought him to mainstream. Personally, I HATED the Burton and Schumacher takes on the character, but they did re-open the doors to superheroes in general.

For me, the Nolan trilogy weren't just great Batman movies, but they were simply great movies. Yeah, the whole parents dying and reboot was done, but it was important here as his parents death was the basis of two key themes which was neatly tied up in The Dark Knight Rises (which itself I thought was kinda meh relative to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but served its purpose); the salvation of Gotham City and the rise of its people to be better, which led to the salvation and redemption of Bruce Wayne.

The Affleck Batman was influenced by a great story-line from the comics, but ultimately this version of Batman was more of a business decision for Warner Brothers to build up their DCEU.

As the Pattinson Batman is not out yet, I can't speak much about what I don't know. What I have heard is this movie, he is already Batman, so while I'm sure there will be flashbacks and references to his parent's murders, I don't think this will be the driving narrative. I believe this will borrow from the Batman: Year One stories. No idea if they will borrow the same themes, but the Year One explored how the main characters of Gordon and Batman start of with very simplistic, black and white views of the world and through the course of the stories, develop their broader vision and understanding. Gordon in particular changes a lot and how he perceives Batman from start to end. They spent like 15 minutes of this in Batman Begins, so we'll see if they go further in Pattinson's Batman.

Anyhow, this wasn't intended to make you like or respect Batman. I just wanted to point out the movies aren't just straight up rehashes of one another. Retelling Batman stories isn't original on its own, but how they do can be.

I also understand superhero movies most of the time are simply money makers and popcorn films. However, every now and then, you'll get one where the movie is more about the character(s) than the spectacle. No idea if Pattinson's Batman will be the former or the latter, but that's why we go see movies, or choose not to.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm going to put my nerd hat on, so please don't hate.

Batman has been around since the 40's, so almost 80 years. Most of us probably know him since Tim Burton first brought him to the big screen, though some may be aware of him since the Adam West days, which was before my time, but I watched it in syndication.

Of all the superheros, personally, I think Batman is the most interesting. Part of that reason is he one of the most grounded in reality (outside of the obviously comic-bookish gadgets, villains and so forth). Despite the unrealistic scenarios, his personal journey is very human.

Sure, his parents got killed and he becomes a crime fighter, but that's really just looking at it from a high level. His arc explores survivor's guilt, disenchantment with the system and his need to live by his (twisted at times) sense of justice. This is this my general summation, but all three are completely real psychological issues that are pertinent in yesterday's and today's socio-political climate.

His stories have been told, or retold by award winning writers and directors. Sure, they didn't win it for Batman (well, the Killing Joke won an Eisner award), but "serious" writers were interested in Batman and his supporting characters enough to do something with them. I know people will argue about comics and literature, but this isn't the point of my post.

That said, each time Batman has been brought to screen, the stories and interpretations of the character couldn't be any more different.

I'm not sure how to classify the 60's Batman, other than just popcorn camp, but the 80's to 90's Batman really brought him to mainstream. Personally, I HATED the Burton and Schumacher takes on the character, but they did re-open the doors to superheroes in general.

For me, the Nolan trilogy weren't just great Batman movies, but they were simply great movies. Yeah, the whole parents dying and reboot was done, but it was important here as his parents death was the basis of two key themes which was neatly tied up in The Dark Knight Rises (which itself I thought was kinda meh relative to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but served its purpose); the salvation of Gotham City and the rise of its people to be better, which led to the salvation and redemption of Bruce Wayne.

The Affleck Batman was influenced by a great story-line from the comics, but ultimately this version of Batman was more of a business decision for Warner Brothers to build up their DCEU.

As the Pattinson Batman is not out yet, I can't speak much about what I don't know. What I have heard is this movie, he is already Batman, so while I'm sure there will be flashbacks and references to his parent's murders, I don't think this will be the driving narrative. I believe this will borrow from the Batman: Year One stories. No idea if they will borrow the same themes, but the Year One explored how the main characters of Gordon and Batman start of with very simplistic, black and white views of the world and through the course of the stories, develop their broader vision and understanding. Gordon in particular changes a lot and how he perceives Batman from start to end. They spent like 15 minutes of this in Batman Begins, so we'll see if they go further in Pattinson's Batman.

Anyhow, this wasn't intended to make you like or respect Batman. I just wanted to point out the movies aren't just straight up rehashes of one another. Retelling Batman stories isn't original on its own, but how they do can be.

I also understand superhero movies most of the time are simply money makers and popcorn films. However, every now and then, you'll get one where the movie is more about the character(s) than the spectacle. No idea if Pattinson's Batman will be the former or the latter, but that's why we go see movies, or choose not to.
Despite the tone of my post, I actually love Batman for all the reasons you mentioned. I spent the 1970s devouring the comic books. I suppose you could call the character an archetype, if you really wanted to take this to the Nth degree. Unfortunately, he's stuck in the built-in limits of being a superhero, and so every film is confined to the same comfy suburb where the rest of them live. Spider-Man, Superman, Avengers, etc. The characters are kinda cool, but there's a dull sameness to all the movies. X-Men at least has a broader social comment about being different. The Watchmen was a brilliant revelation that had the wisdom to remain a one-off. But no matter how they dress them up and sprinkle angst all over them, super-hero movies are ultimately reduced to climactic cage matches with one hero's powers besting another's.

Reactions: sandviper

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Despite the tone of my post, I actually love Batman for all the reasons you mentioned. I spent the 1970s devouring the comic books. I suppose you could call the character an archetype, if you really wanted to take this to the Nth degree. Unfortunately, he's stuck in the built-in limits of being a superhero, and so every film is confined to the same comfy suburb where the rest of them live. Spider-Man, Superman, Avengers, etc. The characters are kinda cool, but there's a dull sameness to all the movies. X-Men at least has a broader social comment about being different. The Watchmen was a brilliant revelation that had the wisdom to remain a one-off. But no matter how they dress them up and sprinkle angst all over them, super-hero movies are ultimately reduced to climactic cage matches with one hero's powers besting another's.

Imo, if you broden the scope, you'll find plenty differences between the less popular among them. I agree the major ones have a lot of overlap, but aside from them, there are quite a few that stand out. V for Vendetta (another Alan Moore creation along Watchmen), Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, Constantine, just to name a few.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Interesting things about Perry Mason. The guy who plays the cop was in Citizen Kane and several other of Orson Welles's films and was a member of The Mercury Theater with Welles. The guy who is the district attorney who never wins in the court played the Hitchhiker, a noir thriller later redone with Rutger Hauer as the hiker.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
robert-pattinson-batman-the-crow-1050x450.jpg

tumblr-n8bco1-DRTf1twdv7lo3-1280.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

He's a dead ringer for nightwing.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'll have to check out this series
Yes, and make sure you start at the very beginning. That's important.

There aren't season's here really. They're mini-series, but, yes, there's a thread joining everything together (no, not some silly conspiracy theory or alike, it's about the characters and their ever-changing relationships).
  • The Cuckoo's Calling (3 parts)
  • The Silkworm (2 parts)
  • Carer of Evil (2 parts)
  • Lethal White (4 parts)

Altogether you're looking at 11 hours of watch time.

EDIT: Looks like "Lethal White" is a 4 episode mini-series, not 3.

C.B. Strike

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebs

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Yes, and make sure you start at the very beginning. That's important.

There aren't season's here really. They're mini-series, but, yes, there's a thread joining everything together (no, not some silly conspiracy theory or alike, it's about the characters and their ever-changing relationships).
  • The Cuckoo's Calling (3 parts)
  • The Silkworm (2 parts)
  • Carer of Evil (2 parts)
  • Lethal White (3 parts)

Altogether you're looking at 10 hours of watch time.
Sounds good, I'm in. I'm needing a new show to get into. Thanks for the info

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sounds good, I'm in. I'm needing a new show to get into. Thanks for the info
You're very welcome.

It's one of the best BBC One has to offer.

Take that from a BBC junkie when it comes to any TV series they produce. :laugh:

Reactions: Deebs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It is here!!!

Love the premise of this ... series or whatever it might be:

Based on the bestselling novels written by J.K. Rowling under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, miniseries C.B.Strike follows a war veteran turned private detective, who operates out of a tiny office in London’s Denmark Street. Although wounded both physically and psychologically, his unique insight and background as a military police investigator prove crucial in solving complex crimes that have baffled the police.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Love the premise of this ... series or whatever it might be:

Based on the bestselling novels written by J.K. Rowling under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, miniseries C.B.Strike follows a war veteran turned private detective, who operates out of a tiny office in London’s Denmark Street. Although wounded both physically and psychologically, his unique insight and background as a military police investigator prove crucial in solving complex crimes that have baffled the police.

Sounds similar to Idris Elba's Luther.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

encountering one suddenly is a natural laxative
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Interesting things about Perry Mason. The guy who plays the cop was in Citizen Kane and several other of Orson Welles's films and was a member of The Mercury Theater with Welles. The guy who is the district attorney who never wins in the court played the Hitchhiker, a noir thriller later redone with Rutger Hauer as the hiker.

Also in Kane was a young Agnes Moorehead,better know as the mother in Bewitched. That's an actress I would have dated just to say her name a few times a day.:laugh:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Just started watching The Witcher. Two episodes in and it seems interesting.

There are plenty of reasons to like the Witcher:

- Yennefer
- Henry Cavill is godlike
- That one song who became viral

I believe the song is in Episode 3 or something like that. Maybe it's spoiler alert. (or is it?)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There are plenty of reasons to like the Witcher:

- Yennefer
- Henry Cavill is godlike
- That one song who became viral

I believe the song is in Episode 3 or something like that. Maybe it's spoiler alert. (or is it?)

I cannot stand Yennefer at all. I think her storylines is pointless. I would be happy if it was just Geralt killing monsters.

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad