OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I usually can't watch a movie more than once unless there have been many years between viewings, such that it's not fresh in my mind and it becomes new again.

Are there other movies or series for that matter, that you liked so much that you've watched them many times over?

Fight Club. NCFOM. Pulp Fiction. Groundhog Day. Ghostbusters. Scrooged. Terminator 2. First two Alien movies. Back to the Future. Forrest Gump. 12 Monkeys. Green Mile. American History X.

Wish i could forget all of them.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fight Club. NCFOM. Pulp Fiction. Groundhog Day. Ghostbusters. Scrooged. Terminator 2. First two Alien movies. Back to the Future. Forrest Gump. 12 Monkeys. Green Mile. American History X.

Wish i could forget all of them.

Interesting selection. Have seen Groundhog Day and Back to the Future a few times.

I've watched Rocky 1 several times but had no interest in the sequels. Really enjoyed Limitless. Series I've watched again include Rectify, Travelers and Ozark. I'd probably want to see The Affair, The Night Of and G0T again. And Lord of the Rings. These are the ones I can think of right now but there are probably others.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Interesting selection. Have seen Groundhog Day and Back to the Future a few times.

I've watched Rocky 1 several times but had no interest in the sequels. Really enjoyed Limitless. Series I've watched again include Rectify, Travelers and Ozark. I'd probably want to see The Affair, The Night Of and G0T again. And Lord of the Rings. These are the ones I can think of right now but there are probably others.

Well... the list was more about movies ive watched too many times a long time ago.

Ive actually watched Ozark twice and GOT 3 times.

I re-watched the whole 11-12 hours extended edition LOTR trilogy last summer. Don't think ill be watching again for a long time unless i watch it with kids.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well... the list was more about movies ive watched too many times a long time ago.

Ive actually watched Ozark twice and GOT 3 times.

I re-watched the whole 11-12 hours extended edition LOTR trilogy last summer. Don't think ill be watching again for a long time unless i watch it with kids.

Interesting. Wasn't aware there was an extended version of 11-12 hours.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Young guns I have watched at least a dozen times. Never gets old.
Mystic River several times
Shawshank of course
Lawless
The Game
Rounders
A Few Good Men
Sleepers

The above I have watched several times already and I could easily watch them over again. I think based largely on the acting alone. Some of the performances here are outstanding.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Young guns I have watched at least a dozen times. Never gets old.
Mystic River several times
Shawshank of course
Lawless
The Game
Rounders
A Few Good Men
Sleepers

The above I have watched several times already and I could easily watch them over again. I think based largely on the acting alone. Some of the performances here are outstanding.

For the most part Sean Penn is great in Mystic River except for the “is that my daughter in there part”. So cringeworthy.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I have re-read Darkly Dreaming Dexter and got inspired to re-watch the first season. The show was truly great for the first three seasons.

Started reading Dearly Devoted Dexter and just got to the part with the “live stump thing” on the kitchen table. I think I almost threw up when I was reading that and glad and disappointed at the same time they couldn’t do that story arc in the show.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just into season 2 of The Affair...I just cant buy the Luisa and Cole loving relationship.
The feisty Latina...meet the ex-ranch worker...and love sparks. Say what now? loll
I have more in common with a cockroach than these two.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I have re-read Darkly Dreaming Dexter and got inspired to re-watch the first season. The show was truly great for the first three seasons.

Started reading Dearly Devoted Dexter and just got to the part with the “live stump thing” on the kitchen table. I think I almost threw up when I was reading that and glad and disappointed at the same time they couldn’t do that story arc in the show.

It's a shame they could never transpose Dr Danko into the TV series.

I think ive never read such a dehumanizing torture in a novel.

I stopped early in the 5th novel. It became a bit too repetitive. Might redownload the whole collection and get back to where i was.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just read that HBO GoT creators are officially making a Knights of the Old Republic-era star wars trilogy. I had heard about it, but it now seems to be under way.

I. Am. Stoked.

Live-action ? I hope they get the big budget because thats hard to pull off. I guess they can get by on the mandalorian wars, maybe. Some of the greatest story/universe building Ive ever read/played is of that era. I just love anything KOTOR era.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Live-action ? I hope they get the big budget because thats hard to pull off. I guess they can get by on the mandalorian wars, maybe. Some of the greatest story/universe building Ive ever read/played is of that era. I just love anything KOTOR era.

Live-Action. Full on Star Wars Disney movie written and directed by the Benioff/Weiss duo of GoT fame. It will be geared towards an adult audience.

I have faith in the duo, not in Disney. But if it's truly for adults, i think it has an immense potential. I love KOTOR too.

I have all the paperbacks for that era. Golden age of the Sith and the others too.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I usually can't watch a movie more than once unless there have been many years between viewings, such that it's not fresh in my mind and it becomes new again.

Are there other movies or series for that matter, that you liked so much that you've watched them many times over?

When I finished the HBO series “Barry”, I immediately started a rewatch. It’s only 8 30 min episodes.

I can also watch any random episode of Fargo or Baskets that pops up on TV, any season.

For movies, Coen brothers are great for repeats.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Live-Action. Full on Star Wars Disney movie written and directed by the Benioff/Weiss duo of GoT fame. It will be geared towards an adult audience.

I have faith in the duo, not in Disney. But if it's truly for adults, i think it has an immense potential. I love KOTOR too.

I have all the paperbacks for that era. Golden age of the Sith and the others too.
The problem is that the budget needed to start the series is much greater than that of GOT. GOT needed a few men in rags and furs with swords for like, what two seasons and a few CGI of baby dragons ? Now you'll need starships, laser guns, vibro-swords, lightsabers, speedsters, wookies, Neimoidians, Rodians, Togrutas, ridiculous animals and etc. I'm pretty sure it could be an actual catastrophe early on if they don't plan their budget accordingly. I hope they go for maybe one or two "big" name actors for a few episodes and then ditch them, just like GOT with Bean.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The problem is that the budget needed to start the series is much greater than that of GOT. GOT needed a few men in rags and furs with swords for like, what two seasons and a few CGI of baby dragons ? Now you'll need starships, laser guns, vibro-swords, lightsabers, speedsters, wookies, Neimoidians, Rodians, Togrutas, ridiculous animals and etc. I'm pretty sure it could be an actual catastrophe early on if they don't plan their budget accordingly. I hope they go for maybe one or two "big" name actors for a few episodes and then ditch them, just like GOT with Bean.

It's a SW Disney boxoffice movie trilogy

They'll have plenty of budget. Question is... what stories will they take on? Exar Kun on Onderun.. the Sith decimation that lead to Bane.. ? There's plenty of good material.

My guess is that they'll want to link up the old with the new and might explore the whole immortality concept (if Snokes does come back in a different form in E9) as it dates back to the OR era.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a SW Disney boxoffice movie trilogy

They'll have plenty of budget. Question is... what stories will they take on? Exar Kun on Onderun.. the Sith decimation that lead to Bane.. ? There's plenty of good material.

My guess is that they'll want to link up the old with the new and might explore the whole immortality concept (if Snokes does come back in a different form in E9) as it dates back to the OR era.
Oh, my bad, my mind associated GOT and TV show immediately.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'll rewatch a movie more for the memories than the movie itself. One that captures me every time it's on is The Wizard of OZ. I must have watched it at least 20 times, probably more. It used to be a tradition around X-mas. Another one I have saved is the original Frankenstein from 1931. Scared the shit out of me when I first saw it ( I was 6). Hard Day's Night is one I enjoy for the "I was there aspect".

Good movies I'll watch again, but it has to be outstanding for that to happen. Shawshank is one, Pulp Fiction, Alien multiple times, after reading the book, Schindler's List, too many more to list.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'll rewatch a movie more for the memories than the movie itself. One that captures me every time it's on is The Wizard of OZ. I must have watched it at least 20 times, probably more. It used to be a tradition around X-mas. Another one I have saved is the original Frankenstein from 1931. Scared the **** out of me when I first saw it ( I was 6). Hard Day's Night is one I enjoy for the "I was there aspect".

Good movies I'll watch again, but it has to be outstanding for that to happen. Shawshank is one, Pulp Fiction, Alien multiple times, after reading the book, Schindler's List, too many more to list.

I had Schindler's list as a mandatory reading in HS english lit. I was 14. It was a pain back then. Those 400 pages seemed immense compared to the actual bricks that were It and the integral edition of The Stand which were both around 1000+ pages and which I read through like a breeze at the same age.

I picked it back up from my library a few years ago. Read it in two days. It's a boring read when you're 14.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I had Schindler's list as a mandatory reading in HS english lit. I was 14. It was a pain back then. Those 400 pages seemed immense compared to the actual bricks that were It and the integral edition of The Stand which were both around 1000+ pages and which I read through like a breeze at the same age.

I picked it back up from my library a few years ago. Read it in two days. It's a boring read when you're 14.
Actually, I was referring to Alien, sorry.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Shawshank is a perfect movie

5 stars no less
I found it was great but some parts were dragged on tbh, but yah it probs deserves to be a 4.5 after some fine tuning.

I don't really give many movies a 5 star unless it's either a masterpiece or a personal favourite. You'd be hard pressed to find people who would consider Shawshank a masterpiece imo

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I still haven't seen There Will Be Blood because it's a long movie

but i've seen John Wick and Commando like 4 times each this year

that's just how my brain works sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad