Let's talk about Devin Cooley

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Have the Flames found a diamond in the rough here? This guy has been really good in every game I've watched him play this pre-season.

Per Devin Cooley:

27 and terrible numbers wherever he has played. Not sure why a meaningless pre-season game playing against scrubs and a "fun" interview is likely to negate what years of his play has shown us.

He seems like a fun guy to have in the minors or maybe to eat loses while we go for a top 5 pick but there is zero reason to think this guy has any future in the NHL for a team that wants success.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
27 and terrible numbers wherever he has played. Not sure why a meaningless pre-season game playing against scrubs and a "fun" interview is likely to negate what years of his play has shown us.

He seems like a fun guy to have in the minors or maybe to eat loses while we go for a top 5 pick but there is zero reason to think this guy has any future in the NHL for a team that wants success.
Sounds like the guy never got any consistent/good coaching until he was almost 20 and I suspect even then it was hit or miss. Basically sounds like growing up he was self taught and flying by the seat of his pants and probably learning a lot of bad habits along the way and surviving on raw athleticism. A season playing for the wranglers could change a lot of that. Also, being 27 doesn't mean squat for a goalie... particularly when 3 of those years were spent playing university hockey here he only got to play 32 games.
Personally I wouldn't be so quick to write him off as a bust. Right now he ain't ready for prime time but with the right goalie coach he might surprise a lot of people.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Sounds like the guy never got any consistent/good coaching until he was almost 20 and I suspect even then it was hit or miss. Basically sounds like growing up he was self taught and flying by the seat of his pants and probably learning a lot of bad habits along the way and surviving on raw athleticism. A season playing for the wranglers could change a lot of that. Also, being 27 doesn't mean squat for a goalie... particularly when 3 of those years were spent playing university hockey here he only got to play 32 games.
Personally I wouldn't be so quick to write him off as a bust. Right now he ain't ready for prime time but with the right goalie coach he might surprise a lot of people.

He was at the University of Denver, are you going to claim he didn’t get quality coaching there? Then 4 years of professional hockey, no quality coaching there?

Other than him being a Flame and you wanting to be delusional there is nothing to suggest he will be any good. It’s insane to suggest it based on absolutely nothing.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
He was at the University of Denver, are you going to claim he didn’t get quality coaching there? Then 4 years of professional hockey, no quality coaching there?
Sure there was some quality. But there's also the fact that even Cooley admitted that the first time he ever had access to a goalie coach was during his time in the NCAA. Meaning he managed to make every roster he's been on off of pure athleticism and instinct. That is a good base to work with, but that also means that being that far into your development pretty much completely self taught means that he has a LOT of bad habits to break and fundamentals to learn. By no means am I saying he's going to be the next Kipper, but he could still easily develop as a solid backup.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Other than him being a Flame and you wanting to be delusional there is nothing to suggest he will be any good. It’s insane to suggest it based on absolutely nothing.
He was at the University of Denver for 3 years and I could only see one goalie coach in those 3 years and that was Corey Wogtech (who was a volunteer goalie coach btw) in his Junior year in 2019-2020 and he only played 9 games that year. So ya.. I don't think he had quality goaltending coaching while at university.

As for his pro career...

2020-21 Florida Everblades ECHL - 22 games
2020-21 Chicago Wolves AHL - 2 games

2021-22 Milwaukee Admirals AHL - 24 games
2021-22 Florida Everblades ECHL - 3 games

2022-23 Milwaukee Admirals AHL - 26 games

2023-24 Rochester Americans AHL - 14 games
2023-24 San Jose Sharks NHL - 6 games

The guy, in his short pro career has changed goalie coaches more often than I change my socks. Talk about a prime example of "How To f*** Up a Young Goalies Career".

Did I say he was a polished diamond? No. I said "Have the Flames found a diamond in the rough here?"... which is a maybe... and that was based on what he's shown in the preseason and the fact that Conroy and the scouting staff see something more than his past stats.
You obviously don't.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
He was at the University of Denver for 3 years and I could only see one goalie coach in those 3 years and that was Corey Wogtech (who was a volunteer goalie coach btw) in his Junior year in 2019-2020 and he only played 9 games that year. So ya.. I don't think he had quality goaltending coaching while at university.

As for his pro career...

2020-21 Florida Everblades ECHL - 22 games
2020-21 Chicago Wolves AHL - 2 games

2021-22 Milwaukee Admirals AHL - 24 games
2021-22 Florida Everblades ECHL - 3 games

2022-23 Milwaukee Admirals AHL - 26 games

2023-24 Rochester Americans AHL - 14 games
2023-24 San Jose Sharks NHL - 6 games

The guy, in his short pro career has changed goalie coaches more often than I change my socks. Talk about a prime example of "How To f*** Up a Young Goalies Career".

Did I say he was a polished diamond? No. I said "Have the Flames found a diamond in the rough here?"... which is a maybe... and that was based on what he's shown in the preseason and the fact that Conroy and the scouting staff see something more than his past stats.
You obviously don't.

Maybe your "diamond in the rough" means something different to you than it does to me. When I hear that I am thinking someone who can make an impact, I don't think Cooley has that potential. I think him being a back-up on a good team would be a stretch. He hasn't shown any ability, skill or potential for that.

As for Conroy and the Flames, I think they see what I saw a guy with a positive personality that can fit in with a team rebuilding helping to keep positive vibes while eating losses in the NHL or filling a role in the AHL.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Maybe your "diamond in the rough" means something different to you than it does to me. When I hear that I am thinking someone who can make an impact, I don't think Cooley has that potential. I think him being a back-up on a good team would be a stretch. He hasn't shown any ability, skill or potential for that.

As for Conroy and the Flames, I think they see what I saw a guy with a positive personality that can fit in with a team rebuilding helping to keep positive vibes while eating losses in the NHL or filling a role in the AHL.
Fair enough.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game

Gives me Louie Domingue vibes. Keeps the room loose but I’ll be surprised if he plays more than 2 games this year unless there’s an injury. Feel-good third stringer

Reactions: Lunatik

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I totally expect, barring injury or a trade, that he'll spend the entire season playing for the Wranglers... and rightly so.
However, so far based on what I've seen, he intrigues me. But then, at times I felt the same way about Dan Vladar and David Rittich. Who knows.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I totally expect, barring injury or a trade, that he'll spend the entire season playing for the Wranglers... and rightly so.
However, so far based on what I've seen, he intrigues me. But then, at times I felt the same way about Dan Vladar and David Rittich. Who knows.
A good attitude and being a bit raw is a good combination, he's unlikely to see much if any NHL time this year, but I do think he could potentially grow into a backup for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad