Pre-Game Talk: Lets Light This Candle. Edmonton v Winnipeg, Wednesday 8 PM.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Agree. And when he gets there it seems obvious that Nuge should be playing with Drai if they don't want that second line to stagnate offensively.
I mean, they could even try,

McDavid - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Skinner - Nuge - Hyman

Just as a different look lol.

They have a lot of depth and options. J-Skin will get his.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We need the Jets to have a bad year to open up Pionk as a trade possibility. Hopefully we do what we can to start them off on the right foot that way.

Reactions: Oilers88

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We need the Jets to have a bad year to open up Pionk as a trade possibility. Hopefully we do what we can to start them off on the right foot that way.
I rather hope the Ottawa sucks again which is more likely than Winnipeg so we can pry Zub. He actually has term as well

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You who would have looked alright on Draisaitl's wing, Holloway. I'm still amazed that they didn't match for what really was maybe a 700k overpay for this season.

Reactions: CornKicker

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm amazed at people's zeal for writing off Skinner and drooling over Lavoie over absolutely nothing other than pre-season. Christ.

Out of all places, we should be the most in tune with the fact that individual pre-season performances are indicators of absolutely nothing, but it seems like half the fanbase gets amnesia every year.

Connor Brown and Jack Campbell were cooking last pre-season. Did anyone want either in the lineup by Oct 15 last year? Anyone?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I'm amazed at people's zeal for writing off Skinner and drooling over Lavoie over absolutely nothing other than pre-season. Christ.

Out of all places, we should be the most in tune with the fact that individual pre-season performances are indicators of absolutely nothing, but it seems like half the fanbase gets amnesia every year.
i dont know what you are talking about? are you implying that paajarvi, perlini etc werent amazing players that we diamonds in the rough?

You who would have looked alright on Draisaitl's wing, Holloway. I'm still amazed that they didn't match for what really was maybe a 700k overpay for this season.
agree, maybe just trade st louis derek ryan and their picks back for holloway 50% retianed

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Janmark being forced into the top 6 due to lack of performance from a top 6 winger is one of several reasons why it was dumb to waive Lavoie. Still trying to understand the rationale behind that move.
Those are only practice lines so who knows if it translates to opening night but my point remains.

I'm usually a Glass Half Full fan and I'm bullish on the long term outlook for this season but I have real concerns that it will be another slow start to the season and that they'll be playing catch up again for what seems like the bajillionth straight season.
The Lavoie situation is frustrating, you’ve got a guy in Kane that is going to be out for a bit, a guy in Skinner who hasn’t looked good in very limited showings so far and you’ve got a kid with an attractive skill set who you’ve put the time into developing and who’s shown well in pre season. Seemingly the perfect opportunity to give the kid a look and instead they take the risk and lose him on waivers. I get they’re pulling cap maneuvers but they had options for keeping him that wouldn’t have been ideal from a cap maximizing perspective but at least see what you have before risking losing him.

I also get the feeling it could be an underwhelming start to the year as the team finds their footing but its not how the team or individual players look in pre season or game one, it’s how they look in game 82 that’s important. Season is a marathon not a sprint and veteran contending teams understand that, 82 games is a long season and the best teams always pace themselves and ramp up in the back half of the year.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
i dont know what you are talking about? are you implying that paajarvi, perlini etc werent amazing players that we diamonds in the rough?

agree, maybe just trade st louis derek ryan and their picks back for holloway 50% retianed

Whole hockey world is going to be watching the Blues today so I can only assume they're going to win 3-2 on the back of a Holloway hattrick.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Whole hockey world is going to be watching the Blues today so I can only assume they're going to win 3-2 on the back of a Holloway hattrick.

Can't stand when ex-Oilers do this.

Not because I hope the player fails on an individual level, but because it's f***ing painful to read the few, but loud voices around here incessantly melt down over it for days/weeks afterwards.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Leon needs to make a line work without McDavid on it, if he can't do that this year, his status as a top 5 player is going to take a knock. Malkin won a Conn Smythe trophy with like Max Talbot as his winger?

It's time for the rubber to hit the road.
Drai won an MVP with guys like Yamamoto on his wing. Its kind of suspicious criticism of Drai not getting a Conn Smythe trophy when a team usually needs to win a SC to win that trophy.

How about compare Drai on any other production metrics and for consistency.

That said toplines are not comprised just of 3 players that can score. The ideal toplines, jmo, are comprised of two skill players and a worker ant as a third. The Oilers have been particularly lacking in both guys that can score a lot on 2nd line, and supreme workers. The grit guys that win a lot of puck battles. We haven't had those that are also skilled enough to be in topsix. The last player we had of this ilk was maybe Mike Grier. So indeed its those Raffi Torres like workers that can complete a line.

In anycase the rubber has hit the road regarding Leon for the last decade. The 2nd highest production player in the league. Did you miss that?

Last edited:

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Ugh. We finally get two good wingers for Leon and, before even the first game of the season, we're back to putting junk on the second line again. SMH.
Imagine sitting on your couch and never playing a competitive high level game and calling a solid nhl player junk 🤣🤣

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Jeff Skinner and Arvidsson are both on new teams with new systems give them 10 games before panicking , they will both come around Arvidsson had 5 points in his 1st 10 games with LA then had 44 in his last 56 games
The words “give them 10 games before panicking, they will come around”, still gives me uncontrollable shivers from, last season’s experience. Although I believe it to be true this time. (Because we can’t easily pull the chute this time before 10 games like we could have last year).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai won an MVP with guys like Yamamoto on his wing. Its kind of suspicious criticism of Drai not getting a Conn Smythe trophy when a team usually needs to win a SC to win that trophy.

How about compare Drai on any other production metrics and for consistency.

That said toplines are not comprised just of 3 players that can score. The ideal toplines, jmo, are comprised of two skill players and a worker ant as a third. The Oilers have been particularly lacking in both guys that can score a lot on 2nd line, and supreme workers. The grit guys that win a lot of puck battles. We haven't had those that are also skilled enough to be in topsix. The last player we had of this ilk was maybe Mike Grier.

In anycase the rubber has hit the road regarding Leon for the last decade. The 2nd highest production player in the league. Did you miss that?

A lot of his points even in those seasons come with McDavid on the ice with him, he does IMO need to show he can dominate without Connor.

He has Arvidsson and Skinner and other options now, I don't want to hear a laundry list of excuses of why that line isn't working and seeing the coaching staff have to pivot back to putting McDrai back together.

Malkin never needed perfect wingers to produce, I think Leon should be able to do it, but the results have to be there.

It's not just on Arvidsson or Skinner, Leon has a lion's share of ownership on how that 2nd line does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
A lot of his points even in those seasons come with McDavid on the ice with him, he does IMO need to show he can dominate without Connor.

He has Arvidsson and Skinner and other options now, I don't want to hear a laundry list of excuses of why that line isn't working and seeing the coaching staff have to pivot back to putting McDrai back together.

Malkin never needed perfect wingers to produce, I think he can do it, but he needs to show results too.

It's not just on Arvidsson or Skinner, Leon has a lion's share of ownership on how that 2nd line does.
So you're trying to say Malkin never played with or beneffitted from Crosby,, for instance on PP? You telling me Malkin never had any skill on his line? In anycase Malkin played his entire career in the East where its easier, even much easier for teams to advance to the cup multiple times in a row. Something that never happens in the tougher West division playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only one player on the team scored more than a single goal in the preseason. And it wasn’t Perry (whose only goal came while being gifted a spot next to McDavid surprise surprise).

Take a guess who that player that scored two goals was. Also happened to lead the team in shots despite only playing 3 preseason games.

Lavoie earned a spot on this team. The organization is more concerned with giving Perry yet another kick at trying to win a cup while he’s got one foot in the grave.

Ryan and Perry proved they were done once the games ramped up in the playoffs. And now they’re a year older. It’s an absolute joke we’ve lost a prospect out of loyalty to these two.

I don't think Lavoie showed enough in that Calgary game. I'll be honest and I like the kid, but I don't think he has NHL level speed, he's quite slow.

So you're trying to say Malkin never played with or beneffitted from Crosby,, for instance on PP? You telling me Malkin never had any skill on his line? In anycase Malkin played his entire career in the East where its easier, even much easier for teams to advance to the cup multiple times in a row. Something that never happens in the tougher West division playoffs.

If Leon is one of the best players in the league then that 2nd line should be one of the best 2nd lines in the league?

Yes or no?

I don't want to hear excuses about why it's not, is that fair or not? At 14 million you need to drive results without McDavid on the ice.

The Eastern conference being easier or some such is a lame excuse. I like Leon, I think he can do this, but again, he needs to show it. Nothing wrong with saying that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't think Lavoie showed enough in that Calgary game. I'll be honest and I like the kid, but I don't think he has NHL level speed, he's quite slow.
Lavoie is the type of player that could work with Drai. Not ideal and would prefer a player that dug for pucks better but size wise and strength wise and with a decoy shot Lavoie has some aspects. Drai has always played well with strong players that can possess the puck We're giving him too smaller players not exactly known for strength.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

If Leon is one of the best players in the league then that 2nd line should be one of the best 2nd lines in the league?

Yes or no?

I don't want to hear excuses about why it's not, is that fair or not? At 14 million you need to drive results without McDavid on the ice.

The Eastern conference being easier or some such is a lame excuse. I like Leon, I think he can do this, but again, he needs to show it. Nothing wrong with saying that.
Drai isn't making 14M. Nor has he needed excuses in being one of the premium players on the planet. Nothing wrong with calling out your negative script on Drai before the season even starts. I would think 4 players on this club McD, Drai, Nuge, Hyman have earned a bit of faith and trust. I guess not..

Funny that you're still saying if.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai isn't making 14M. Nor has he needed excuses in being one of the premium players on the planet. Nothing wrong with calling out your negative script on Drai before the season even starts. I would think 4 players on this club McD, Drai, Nuge, Hyman have earned a bit of faith and trust. I guess not..

He's been awarded a 14 million extension, it technically doesn't kick in until next year, but c'mon anyone with any pride would make it a point to say "yeah I'm taking my game up a notch even higher".

My point is if that 2nd line doesn't work, it's not going to fall all on Skinner and Arvidsson. Leon is the one that's going to take the lion's share of blame for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad