Pre-Game Talk: Lets Light This Candle. Edmonton v Winnipeg, Wednesday 8 PM.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Tell me you didn't watch a single minute of preseason without telling me. heh. The line was brutal, a GA nightmare, and Skinner was the worst forward on the team throughout preseason. I'm more than fine with the change but it should be somebody other than Janmark.

Jeff Skinner was junk the entire preseason.
I didn't watch much of the preseason but I did hear Skinner wasn't impressive. That being said, I would have given him at least 4-5 regular season games on the second line to get up to speed and build chemistry, which, with two completely new linemates, can take time.

And, as a few others agreed, if you want to make changes this early, I think the logical move is to swap Skinner with RNH and leave Janmark in the bottom six where he belongs. I don't know why Knob is so dead-set on keeping that first line intact. I feel like Nuge is almost redundant on that line and could be much better served as a defensive consciousness on the second line.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Looks like they couldn't even get through the preseason before buyer's remorse set in a bit for Skinner. It's almost like a soft, one dimensional shooter is the exact opposite thing most defensively inclined coaches want in their wingers :laugh:

I don't think I've ever seen an preseason where Oiler vets are as apathetic to the results as this preseason though, even Mcdavid(one of the most competitive NHLers I've ever seen) looks like he couldn't care less in the games. Seems a bit like Skinner is being singled out considering they lost multiple games by blowouts with virtually everyone looking like they didn't give a shit.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Looks like they couldn't even get through the preseason before buyer's remorse set in a bit for Skinner. It's almost like a soft, one dimensional shooter is the exact opposite thing most defensively inclined coaches want in their wingers :laugh:

I don't think I've ever seen an preseason where Oiler vets are as apathetic to the results as this preseason though, even Mcdavid(one of the most competitive NHLers I've ever seen) looks like he couldn't care less in the games. Seems a bit like Skinner is being singled out considering they lost multiple games by blowouts with virtually everyone looking like they didn't give a shit.

I think part of Skinner looking bad is that Leon needs to know where his wingers are and what they're doing on transition and zone entry especially. Leon's rush chances are created by deft playmaking crossing the line, and often those passes are often risky. A lot of those intended for Skinner were simply being missed or not converted in pre-season.

That's not specifically Skinner's fault, but is what it is. One thing that can't happen this year is a repeat of the second line being a turnover machine at times. There were themes of it in pre-season, and that has to stop now before it even starts. Skinner needs to be on his toes and play with his head up outside the o-zone and Leon needs to not throw the puck around blind east-west as much in dangerous parts of the ice.

A logical middle ground is flipping RNH and Skinner, but the coaching staff seems to simply refuse to even think about it for some reason. I get the "don't want to mess with the best line in the league" theory, but I don't think the drop off from RNH to Skinner is going to be enough to make the top line unbreakable.

Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
But Emberson?

2nd pair w Nurse

I think part of Skinner looking bad is that Leon needs to know where his wingers are and what they're doing on transition and zone entry especially. Leon's rush chances are created by deft playmaking crossing the line, and often those passes are often risky. A lot of those intended for Skinner were simply being missed or not converted in pre-season.

That's not specifically Skinner's fault, but is what it is. One thing that can't happen this year is a repeat of the second line being a turnover machine at times. There were themes of it in pre-season, and that has to stop now before it even starts. Skinner needs to be on his toes and play with his head up outside the o-zone and Leon needs to not throw the puck around blind east-west as much in dangerous parts of the ice.

A logical middle ground is flipping RNH and Skinner, but the coaching staff seems to simply refuse to even think about it for some reason. I get the "don't want to mess with the best line in the league" theory, but I don't think the drop off from RNH to Skinner is going to be enough to make the top line unbreakable.

Draisaitl was also going at 45% in the preseason. Hard to acclimate to new wingers when your going through the justifiable preseason motions.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Both Janmark and Skinner have looked bad in camp. But Janmark is established here. Strange preseason for Skinner and not impressing a new team.

That 4th line is just f***ing sad. I'll ask again why we even have preseason games if spots are all predetermined to vets. Would rather have any of Lavoie, Savoie, Philps in lineup. I love the commitment in Ryan but just retire already. Make way for guys with more energy to give.

That Henrique line might sizzle if it gets some weaker opposition matching.

Lavoie I agree with, but I don't think he really beat out Podkolzin handily (who is also young). Savoie and Philps have plenty to gain from top-line minutes for 20+ games in the AHL. Then bring them in. But I agree that when they get here, they do have something to offer over Ryan and Perry.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
While I don't agree with Janmark long term in top 6, there are others that can learn from him.

Guy gives 100% when he's out there and does what is asked of him. He will continue to get the extra looks until others start playing and practicing the way he does
He is probably there to give some semblance of defensive awareness responsibility to the line.

Reactions: joestevens29

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

I'm not too worried about what Drai needs out of his winger, if he can put up 100 point seasons carrying leftover/plug type lines like RNH/Yamo and Kahun/Non-NHLer, he'll adjust to where ever Skinner likes to setup on the ice. A few preseason games where no one is bearing down on their chances isn't enough to determine how those two will work together if they get an extended look.

The defensively turnover stuff is an issue, but Drai has always been a bit weaker on the puck management side(very definition of high risk/high reward player). It'll always will always be a bit of an issue on lines that he runs regardless of who you plug in on his wing.

I also think we should appreciate that Skinner has played his entire career on defensively disastrous teams(Carolina pre-brindamor/Buffalo), and it's likely there will be an adjustment period as he gets comfortable playing on a new team with new players, new coaching staff, and gets accustomed to what is expected of him defensively on a team that expects to compete for a Cup rather than a wildcard spot.

Reactions: Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I'm not too worried about what Drai needs out of his winger, if he can put up 100 point seasons carrying leftover/plug type lines like RNH/Yamo and Kahun/Non-NHLer, he'll adjust to where ever Skinner likes to setup on the ice. A few preseason games where no one is bearing down on their chances isn't enough to determine how those two will work together if they get an extended look.

The defensively turnover stuff is an issue, but Drai has always been a bit weaker on the puck management side(very definition of high risk/high reward player). It'll always will always be a bit of an issue on lines that he runs regardless of who you plug in on his wing.

I also think we should appreciate that Skinner has played his entire career on defensively disastrous teams(Carolina pre-brindamor/Buffalo), and it's likely there will be an adjustment period as he gets comfortable playing on a new team with new players, new coaching staff, and gets accustomed to what is expected of him defensively on a team that expects to compete for a Cup rather than a wildcard spot.
That's part of the problem. Draisaitl-Skinner doesn't mesh because they're both abysmal defensively. Swapping Skinner with RNH should solve the problem, but Knoblauch seems oblivious to that idea.

KK talking about more balance with Skinner on 3rd line.
He talks about flexibility and options but completely disregards the idea of a dismantling the first line :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad