Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Unfortunately no. Just tall, goofy looking, and Caucasian. Close enough.

How's his death glare? On a scale of one to Rauch?

jon%2Brauch%2Bmets.jpg

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Also of interest, in the last 10 years only 3 teams have had BPs with WPAs above 10.00 and 10 times over 9.00. As for offense, over the last 10 years it's happened 6 times over 10.00 and 12 times over 9.00. For Starters it's happened 17 times over 10.00, and 30 times over 9.00. This doesn't surprise me, as of the 3 groups the relievers get the least amount of playing time (most starters get 2-3x the innings of a reliever), and with WPA being a cumulative stat this means fewer opportunities to add to that win probability. This is probably why the bullpen comes after offense and SP for many teams -- they simply don't get as much playing time and teams on a budget would rather spend on guys that are going to get the most time.

pen may get less time but they get more leverage situations, it's easier to rack up WPA in the 7-9 innings as each additional out acquired is a bigger proportion of the remaining outs needed to obtain.

If a game is 0-0 in the 1st getting an out doesn't get you very much WPA, if it's 0-0 in the 9th, and you get an out, you'll get more.

So while they get less IP, it's not as easy to follow that that means they'd get less WPA because it's highly situational based.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Liam Hendriks was essentially regarded as one of the least valuable relievers based on WPA. We know that's not entirely the case, but when called upon, he was noticeably worse in higher leverage situations.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Kenta Maeda to the Dodgers. They're gonna pay $20m on the posting fee, plus probably at least $12m a season for a guy that equates to basically probably a 4th/5th starter based on most scouting reports. Good for them. They are perhaps the only team in baseball that does have a bottomless scrooge mcduck money vault to funnel into their team payroll.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Kenta Maeda to the Dodgers. They're gonna pay $20m on the posting fee, plus probably at least $12m a season for a guy that equates to basically probably a 4th/5th starter based on most scouting reports. Good for them. They are perhaps the only team in baseball that does have a bottomless scrooge mcduck money vault to funnel into their team payroll.

Wait a second... so you're saying the secret Rogers Headquarters money vault doesn't exist? :sarcasm:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

it's pretty much the only possible way to explain those Jays/Dodgers scrub for cash considerations trades that happened all summer :sarcasm:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Have we found out what exactly those performance bonuses are?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Fister apparently being offered 1 and 2 yr deals from various teams. I assume he'll take whatever term he can get. At the same time keeping it short to regain his value. Should be noted he was good in the pen last year after he lost his starting gig. He'll pick the team that's going to give him starts though.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jay Bruce removed the Blue Jays from his no-trade list

That's... interesting, I guess. I would be really interested to know what kind of factors players take into consideration in making those decisions, but I assume for Bruce, the Jays outfield depth means he's extremely unlikely to be traded there anyway. It would much more intriguing if it was a pitcher or something.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's... interesting, I guess. I would be really interested to know what kind of factors players take into consideration in making those decisions, but I assume for Bruce, the Jays outfield depth means he's extremely unlikely to be traded there anyway. It would much more intriguing if it was a pitcher or something.

Yeah, his agent very well may have heard something and told him.

Most players use their NTC power strategically, rather than actually teams/cities who they don't want to go to.

Unless Revere and Saunders both get moved, or they plan on having Pompey in AAA and only move one of Saunders/Revere, we can't fit Bruce in.

Plus, Jay Bruce plays RF, so either he or Jose would need to switch to LF.

Personally, it doesn't make sense. Use the assets on pitching. Our lineup is fine as it is.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Bruce isn't what the Jays need. I'd say he's like the poor man's Jose Bautista, but that would only be true if Bautista had a hack-tastic plate approach not unlike JP Arencibia (but a bit better). Sure you could put him in LF, but that wastes his cannon arm and the team doesn't really need another crusher at the plate, especially one who isn't great at getting on base. I'm also a little troubled by how he's sort of spiraled over the last couple of years, leading up to bottoming out in 2014 and only moderately rebounding last year. Players don't usually melt down like that when they're in their primes. And if they do it's not usually a quick bounce back to full effectiveness.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Bastardo and Clippard are still available for the pen. Do the Jays make a play on either or both of these bullpen arms?

Osuna, Sanchez, Clippard, Cecil, Bastardo, Loup, Chavez would be a killer bullpen.

With a rotation of:

Stroman
Estrada
Happ
Dickey
Hutch

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bruce isn't what the Jays need. I'd say he's like the poor man's Jose Bautista, but that would only be true if Bautista had a hack-tastic plate approach not unlike JP Arencibia (but a bit better). Sure you could put him in LF, but that wastes his cannon arm and the team doesn't really need another crusher at the plate, especially one who isn't great at getting on base. I'm also a little troubled by how he's sort of spiraled over the last couple of years, leading up to bottoming out in 2014 and only moderately rebounding last year. Players don't usually melt down like that when they're in their primes. And if they do it's not usually a quick bounce back to full effectiveness.

Off the top of my head, I actually thought Bruce had a much better bounce-back season than he did, but it turns out he went from worst-player-in-baseball territory to approximately replacement level. Yikes. And all for the low, low cost of just $12.5 million in 2016!

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The Browns have officially announced the hiring of DePodesta as the team’s chief strategy offer, via a press release.

While the Browns figure to eventually bring in executives with more NFL experience, it appears this isn’t the first time the team has explored hiring an MLB executive. According to Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com (Twitter links), Haslam offered a front office job to former Cleveland Indians president Mark Shapiro last August. Shaprio turned down the offer and eventually joined the Toronto Blue Jays as their team president.

Interesting and useless information on Shapiro's other job opportunities.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
AA may be the first person to leave a GM position willingly to go take a lower position elsewhere.

Maybe he followed the money.

Completely emptied our farm system, and followed the money afterwards.

But damnit, at least he had the balls to make the big moves that needed to be done. Maybe it was because he knew he was leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad