GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
can't see it. Not saying that Detroit isn't on their way to being competitive, but EP has to be absolutely exhausted when it comes for waiting for his team to turn the corner. I can't see Detroit as the green light location.
We'll see. With a few moves, teams can become playoff teams in quick order. When Dougie went to NJ, there were a lot of folkssing that he was going to a bottom feeder, and 2 years later, they are a top team. And Vancouver hasn't really been waiting to turn the corner, they've been stuck in limbo trying to "retool" while handing out bad contracts and going through coaches (and now GMs). IT reminds me a bit of the Karmanos/JR days in Carolina.
If he wants a contender that has their cap situation figured out to the point that they can bring him in, that's basically just us right now, though I can see Florida and Boston trying to get in the mix.
I think if he wants to go to a contender, it will likely be in the off-season and lots of teams will figure out their cap by then. I'd love to have him, I just don't think it's us and only us as some do

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If the only reason that he'd be getting moved from Vancouver is because he doesn't want to be there because they're not competitive, why would he be ok with being traded to a team that was worse than them this past season?
From what I read it was more than just "being competitive". That's clearly part of it but he stated (paraphrasing) "I want to see the direction the team is going in." Vancouver hasn't had a direction in years, in fact, they remind me a lot of the JR/Karmanos Canes years (only giving out worse contracts). Trading 1st round picks for OEL (and now Hronek), Signing Myers to a terrible contract. Sign JT Miller to a long term deal, but let Horvat go. etc.... They are a team in limbo with no apparent direction. Not to mention being on their 3rd coach in the 5 years Pettersson has been there.

Hamilton went to the 3rd worst team (NJ) in the NHL, and two season's later they are one of the best
Faulk went to the best team in the NHL and a few season's later, they weren't even a playoff team.
Karlsson wanted to go to a contender so he went to SJ. They made it to the WCF that year and haven't been to the playoffs since and were one of the worst teams in the NHL.

My point is that what we think of as "contenders" or "bad teams" today, may not be the case in a couple of years. Things change quickly. Detroit isn't there, but I do think they are headed in the right direction. Pettersson would make them a playoff team IMO (goaltending is questionable, but so was NJs). They have a lot of young assets to make a move as well.

Anyhow, it was just a guess on my part, not one that I feel that strongly about, but above was my rationale for making that guess. The good news for Carolina is that we have a team that should be able to be competitive for a long time, especially with Aho now signed long term, so that will be attractive.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
We'll see. With a few moves, teams can become playoff teams in quick order. When Dougie went to NJ, there were a lot of folkssing that he was going to a bottom feeder, and 2 years later, they are a top team. And Vancouver hasn't really been waiting to turn the corner, they've been stuck in limbo trying to "retool" while handing out bad contracts and going through coaches (and now GMs). IT reminds me a bit of the Karmanos/JR days in Carolina.

I think if he wants to go to a contender, it will likely be in the off-season and lots of teams will figure out their cap by then. I'd love to have him, I just don't think it's us and only us as some do
Having followed his socials for a while, I think competitiveness and cultural fit could factor into his decision making re: a landing spot.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't know if Florida is set up to make that trade after basically doing the same for Tkachuk, but Boston is certainly a competitor. They're at the stage where they'd do absolutely anything for a legit 1C after Bergeron retired, and with that hole filled they'd quite certainly remain as part of the league's elite even with whatever holes the trade leaves.
With what assets? They’d be a very strong contender to try to sign him as a UFA, but they have a weak hand for acquiring him in a trade.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
That one Canucks fan on the main board has to be one of the most unhinged posters I've seen on this website; kind of says something when another Canucks fan finally chimes in about him by saying how bad of a poster he is on their board. I'm sure those that have already looked in those topics know who I'm talking about.

Without going over the ad hominems, and strawmans from him, it's funny he was bashing trade proposals in such a butthurt way for not being favorable enough to Vancouver when he thinks Carolina would actually make this trade:

1st + Morrow + Necas + Jarvis for Petey + Beauvillier

I don't see our front office trading BOTH Necas AND Jarvis. Not happening since it doesn't fit their MO. That Canucks fan said there's about 8 teams that would pay a king's ransom for Pettersson. Yeah, I'm not sure about that bud.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That one Canucks fan on the main board has to be one of the most unhinged posters I've seen on this website. I'm sure those that have already looked in those topics know who I'm talking about.

Without going over the ad hominems, and strawmans from him, it's funny he was bashing trade proposals in such a butthurt way when he thinks Carolina would actually make this trade:

I don't see our front office trading BOTH Necas AND Jarvis. Not happening since it doesn't fit their MO. That Canucks fan said there's about 8 teams that would pay a king's ransom for Pettersson. Yeah, I'm not sure about that bud.
That whole thread is a case study in Canadian lunacy when it comes to hockey.

Apparently, if we aren't willing to go Necas, Jarvis, Nikishin, +++ then we don't deserve the honor of discussing their EP.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That one Canucks fan on the main board has to be one of the most unhinged posters I've seen on this website; kind of says something when another Canucks fan finally chimes in about him by saying how bad of a poster he is on their board. I'm sure those that have already looked in those topics know who I'm talking about.

Without going over the ad hominems, and strawmans from him, it's funny he was bashing trade proposals in such a butthurt way for not being favorable enough to Vancouver when he thinks Carolina would actually make this trade:

I could see Detroit paying the king's ransom. They've had poor draft luck for a number of years and may see a trade as their best way to get a true franchise player.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No need when the unhinged Canucks fan is now visiting this topic and laughing at my posts with more trollish behavior.

Let's wave hi to our new visitor.
Even Canucks fans have said he's unreasonable and condescending. You won't ever get a decent discussion with him so no sense trying.

Edit: ha, knew I'd hook him. too easy.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I'm sure it was the troll that reported me for "trolling." I'm no longer allowed to post in that Vancouver-Carolina topic for a very mild post at worst, but he's still allowed to post in all of those trade topics about Pettersson despite all of his ad hominems to different people including saying I had CTE. The benefits of being a Canadian fan on this website versus a southern fan again?

Yeah, nice standards with HFBoard mods as usual. Saying someone has head trauma and mental illnesses as a result of the head injury, especially in the context of discussing a contact heavy sport, is okay to troll with.

It's amusing how delusional he is though. Not even his own fellow fans like him, and is it any surprise. I really got under his skin with a flood of him quoting me, coming over to our board, and laughing at so many of our posts.

He proves me right every time. He's shown he is VERY unhinged.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It's amusing how delusional he is though. Not even his own fellow fans like him, and is it any surprise. I really got under his skin with a flood of him quoting me, coming over to our board, and laughing at so many of our posts.

@DaveG , what's the policy on this? Guy is obviously trying to instigate and troll over here after running a few off the main boards with his reporting. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Sigurd

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Could the Ducks possibly entertain trading Trevor Zegras? The two sides seem to be taking a stance on Contract negotiations with Zegras stating he will not report to training camp without a contract.

The Ducks could use a quality Dman and a playmaker like Tevo while the Canes land a player who has scored 23 goals each of the past 2 seasons and could possibly flurish even more under Rod and the Canes. Just a thought.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Could the Ducks possibly entertain trading Trevor Zegras? The two sides seem to be taking a stance on Contract negotiations with Zegras stating he will not report to training camp without a contract.

The Ducks could use a quality Dman and a playmaker like Tevo while the Canes land a player who has scored 23 goals each of the past 2 seasons and could possibly flurish even more under Rod and the Canes. Just a thought.
It would have to be a deal that convinces Anaheim to make that move. Meaning it would have to be a very strong offer.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Highly doubt it...he's extremely talented, one of their best players, & they have $16M basically to resign Zegras and Drysdale with no obvious cap issues coming up in the near future

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm sure it was the troll that reported me for "trolling." I'm no longer allowed to post in that Vancouver-Carolina topic for a very mild post at worst, but he's still allowed to post in all of those trade topics about Pettersson despite all of his ad hominems to different people including saying I had CTE. The benefits of being a Canadian fan on this website versus a southern fan again?

Yeah, nice standards with HFBoard mods as usual. Saying someone has head trauma and mental illnesses as a result of the head injury, especially in the context of discussing a contact heavy sport, is okay to troll with.

Double standards can get old quick like.

Being born in a certain area doesn't make someone knowledgeable about a certain subject.

Highly doubt it...he's extremely talented, one of their best players, & they have $16M basically to resign Zegras and Drysdale with no obvious cap issues coming up in the near future

Correct me if I'm wrong...do they still operate on an internal budget?

Reactions: DaveG and Sigurd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad