GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm very curious if instead of trading Skjei or Pesce, the Canes look into the Patrick Kane market. The Canes have enough cap space to sign him to a 1x$2.5M if they send Lemieux and Kochetkov down to the AHL. Even though he doesn't have great 5-on-5 impacts these days, the Canes are perhaps the only team out there with the luxury to shelter him on the 4th line at 5-on-5 and then place him on the 1st PP unit.
Depending on how long kane holds on to getting healthy before deciding, we could have enough cap space to sign by gaining cap space.

I think we will be players for kane instead of trading for someone. Will kane come here, that is the question.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Kane is going to jump the zone and play no defense. He would need to be on a line with Staal or KK. Also being a playmaker, Kane needs a goal scorer. Bunting seems like the obvious match.

Its either
Svech-Aho-Necas
Bunting-KK-Kane
Turbo-Staal-Jarvis
Marty-Drury-Fast

Or

TT-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Necas
Bunting-Staal-Kane
Marty-Drury-Fast

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kane is going to jump the zone and play no defense. He would need to be on a line with Staal or KK. Also being a playmaker, Kane needs a goal scorer. Bunting seems like the obvious match.

Its either
Svech-Aho-Necas
Bunting-KK-Kane
Turbo-Staal-Jarvis
Marty-Drury-Fast

Or

TT-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Necas
Bunting-Staal-Kane
Marty-Drury-Fast
Bunting is more of a crash the net, create chaos and score dirty goals. I'm not sure he's the right guy to be with a guy like Kane. I think a guy like Svech might be a better match as Kane could draw defenders and feed it to Svech in open spaces.

I don't think it happens though. If/when Kane gets healthy, I see the Rangers being the landing spot again.

EDIT: Or maybe the hometown Sabres if they are in a playoff spot.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
No thanks on Kane, honestly don't think he's good enough to take ice time away from other forwards we already have. We've got a backlog of guys similar to him in terms of impact, if we're adding a forward it needs to be a bonafide top 6 scorer, which Kane is not any more.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No thanks on Kane, honestly don't think he's good enough to take ice time away from other forwards we already have. We've got a backlog of guys similar to him in terms of impact, if we're adding a forward it needs to be a bonafide top 6 scorer, which Kane is not any more.
To be fair, Kane had 92 points just the season before last, and even on a messed up hip, still had 45 in 54 with Chicago last year. that's better than all but 3 forwards on Carolina last year.

No doubt, Carolina requires their forwards to be more responsible defensively though which impacts numbers, but still, depending on how well the surgery went and how the recovery goes, he could very well still be a bonafide top 6 scorer. His vision and skill level is still there, so it all depends on the surgery and recovery.

Given how he only plays 1/2 the ice, the only way Carolina would be interested is if they were convinced he was still a bonafide top 6 scorer. I just don't see it happening though. Even if he does recover and is still legit, I think his preference is elsewhere. Doesn't seem like a good fit.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
To be fair, Kane had 92 points just the season before last, and even on a messed up hip, still had 45 in 54 with Chicago last year. that's better than all but 3 forwards on Carolina last year.

No doubt, Carolina requires their forwards to be more responsible defensively though which impacts numbers, but still, depending on how well the surgery went and how the recovery goes, he could very well still be a bonafide top 6 scorer. His vision and skill level is still there, so it all depends on the surgery and recovery.

Given how he only plays 1/2 the ice, the only way Carolina would be interested is if they were convinced he was still a bonafide top 6 scorer. I just don't see it happening though. Even if he does recover and is still legit, I think his preference is elsewhere. Doesn't seem like a good fit.
I don't put a ton of stock into points from guys like him on really bad teams. I've watched him play the past couple years and do not view him as a big offensive threat like he used to be, and our bigger need in the top 6 is goal scoring which is not one of Kane's strengths. I'm not adamantly against it if the cap hit is low and risk is mitigated but I wouldn't go out and target him nor do I particularly want him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't put a ton of stock into points from guys like him on really bad teams. I've watched him play the past couple years and do not view him as a big offensive threat like he used to be, and our bigger need in the top 6 is goal scoring which is not one of Kane's strengths. I'm not adamantly against it if the cap hit is low and risk is mitigated but I wouldn't go out and target him nor do I particularly want him.

If it was some random player that scored like that on a bad team, then I'd agree, but the seasons before that 92 point one:

106 in 82GP
89 in 82GP
76 in 82GP
110 in 81GP
84 in 70 GP
66 in 56GP

Every single season was above a PPG except one, where he scored 76 points. He's been a consistent scorer every season and only took a dip last year when his hip injury limited him.

I agree with you that I'd rather have more of a goal scorer added though. Still, if he is healthy and recovered, I see no reason why he won't be an offensive threat for a team. It's his floating that makes me think he might not be a good fit. Maybe that was due to injury or apathy, but I would think Rod would blow a gasket.

Either way, I don't think it happens.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Tarasenko always made more sense than Kane for us, and it's quite possible that if Ottawa doesn't take that next step this season he's still the guy we end up with here.

That said I would not be opposed to Kane. There were multiple times recently where we just flat out needed an injection of skill in the playoffs, especially in the Florida series this past year. Yeah, injuries played a huge part in that. Canes with Svech, Patches, and a Turbo that's not coming back quickly from a wrist injury probably win that Florida series. Even slotting Kane into an empty slot there we come closer to winning the series.

I don't think he's considering us though. Kane's always been more of a big market type guy which is why he was so damn pissy after the Rangers traded for Tarasenko, because he thought that was going to keep him from getting to New York. So I figure he's NY or Chicago with an off chance that he'll go to Buffalo since that's his home town team.

Last edited:

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
Idk I could see Kane really loving having a few acres in Fuquay and stopping at Barry’s Cafe in Cary for a post game meal on his drive back from PNC

Reactions: CandyCanes

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Drive? Wouldn't he just take a cab?
1693942570961.gif

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

According to Waddell, apparently they are still talking to both Pesce and Skjei about an extension. IMO it's likely a one or the other, but in that scenario, I think that the Canes will be much more comfortable about own-rentaling the other and running a loaded defense for one season.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

According to Waddell, apparently they are still talking to both Pesce and Skjei about an extension. IMO it's likely a one or the other, but in that scenario, I think that the Canes will be much more comfortable about own-rentaling the other and running a loaded defense for one season.
We have no chance at improving the offense in 24-25 keeping both, in fact we would have to bridge Jarvis. Even keeping one at 6+ million will make a big offensive improvement very tough.

I find it unlikely we keep either

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
We have no chance at improving the offense in 24-25 keeping both, in fact we would have to bridge Jarvis. Even keeping one at 6+ million will make a big offensive improvement very tough.

I find it unlikely we keep either

The question for the Canes is whether it is smarter to maintain the defense OR to amplify the offense long-term. I know what the conventional wisdom likes to say, but I wonder if the Canes see premium defense as an inefficiency. Defensemen spend way more time on the ice than forwards, on average, to generate on-ice impacts. I would not be shocked if, in the event that they can get the term right, that the Canes go with Pesce over a forward upgrade.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
To me it seems like having 6 really good defensemen is the most efficient way to spend your cap- if you truly have 3 pairs you trust that’s the entire game, covered

It's only efficient if those defensemen are good at all aspects of the game: keeping pucks out of our net and getting them in the other teams net. I question whether Pesce or TDA are "efficient" uses of the cap if they get more expensive.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
We currently have 9 defensemen and no AHL team. I am a bit confused as to what the plan is.

No way they resign both...

Right?
Regardless of the AHL situation, I find it to be "lip service" at this point. There is 0 reason to re-sign Skjei because 1) he'll be due for a pretty good raise, especially if he can repeat last years offensive numbers, 2) with Orlov and then Nikishin, there isn't future space for him, he'd be an expensive 3LD. Pesce I could legitimately see us trying to keep since Chatty/TDA are also UFA after this year (and neither is a true top-4 guy), Burns the year after (slight chance he keeps going but probably a reduce role?), and Morrow is still a bit of an unknown.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
We currently have 9 defensemen and no AHL team. I am a bit confused as to what the plan is.

No way they resign both...

Right?
5 of 9 are UFA after the season, and Coghlan is an arbitration-eligible RFA.

I can easily see a scenario where they sign Pesce and Skjei and then let TDA, Chatfield, Jones, and Coghlan walk. I think it's more likely as said above they let Skjei walk, but it's possible they sign both.

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad