GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I dislike Selke votes as a way to justify 2 way play. If a center scores at or above a PPG and is in a big / Canadian market, they are getting serious selke votes. Then sprinkle in a couple of good defensive centers or other ppg + centers and you have your top 10 selke winners.

But oh well. I don’t see EP 40 as some elite 2 way center. His defense is good while getting heavy O zone draws. His electricity with the puck and skating is what is worth adding. Although our system will likely stunt some of that.

lol holy shit, this is the kind of package that the main board thinks is fair for EP
They finally have a good player who could be worth something on the market. They don’t know what to do with their hands.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I dislike Selke votes as a way to justify 2 way play. If a center scores at or above a PPG and is in a big / Canadian market, they are getting serious selke votes. Then sprinkle in a couple of good defensive centers or other ppg + centers and you have your top 10 selke winners.

But oh well. I don’t see EP 40 as some elite 2 way center. His defense is good while getting heavy O zone draws. His electricity with the puck and skating is what is worth adding. Although our system will likely stunt some of that.

They finally have a good player who could be worth something on the market. They don’t know what to do with their hands.
I loled.

Yeah, that's accurate considering how desperate Vancouver fans have been trying to propose Miller to our team and others, and hardly anyone wanting him.

On a different note, I'm guessing the St. Louis fan that was discussed is the one that was trolling our board around the playoffs and he got modded. I'll have to look on the main board to confirm. Maybe it's another one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

yeah basically this. He's a PPG+ guy in a big market that's pretty good defensively. What he isn't is some guy like Bergeron, Barkov, J Staal, or Hischier in terms of defensive ability. I'd have to take a look at some advanced metrics (anyone have those JFresh cards handy?) but as a PKer he's not even Aho.

I loled.

Yeah, that's accurate considering how desperate Vancouver fans have been trying to propose Miller to our team and others, and hardly anyone wanting him.

On a different note, I'm guessing the St. Louis fan that was discussed is the one that was trolling our board around the playoffs and he got modded. I'll have to look on the main board to confirm. Maybe it's another one.
nope, different dude.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
no, he's the one that was claiming that Faulk is better than Pesce in the other thread. Dude's basically homer supreme.

- Buchnevich > Aho
- General dismissal of Nikishin’s development
- Whining about the team’s deadline strategy

It doesn’t bother me. I’m just confused. You can’t be that mad that we argued against the team paying a premium price for a rental O’Reilly/Tarasenko, right?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
yeah basically this. He's a PPG+ guy in a big market that's pretty good defensively. What he isn't is some guy like Bergeron, Barkov, J Staal, or Hischier in terms of defensive ability. I'd have to take a look at some advanced metrics (anyone have those JFresh cards handy?) but as a PKer he's not even Aho.

nope, different dude.

FAkuXLhWUAML-7p.jpg:large

F19_-eDWIAQzEv_.jpg:large

His fancy numbers are pretty. I couldn't find anything newer...my only knock would be apparently he doesn't PK....or didn't. Dunno how someone can be considered for the Selke who isn't on PK1.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
With what they were asking for JT Miller the last couple of years, I'm not surprised.
2 houses a mc mansion and a 12 pack of taco bell.

One consistent thing on hfboards, every other team has 2 dmen better than Slavin and 3 forwards better than Aho. Also, their team somehow gets 20 less points than the Canes every season.
It's uncanny with all that talent Rod must be out coaching all the other coaches by a bigger margin than I expected.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
FAkuXLhWUAML-7p.jpg:large

F19_-eDWIAQzEv_.jpg:large

His fancy numbers are pretty. I couldn't find anything newer...my only knock would be apparently he doesn't PK....or didn't. Dunno how someone can be considered for the Selke who isn't on PK1.
There's no doubt EP is an absolute stud, I'd rank him right there with Aho maybe even a little bit better based on last season (but who knows if he can keep up the 100+ point seasons). I'd love to get him and it'll be a big return if he is traded. But the big return from the Canes would be something more like Necas or Jarvis, pick(s), non-Nikishin-prospect(s), maybe Skjei or Pesce (depending when trade happens and if either are willing to sign there).

It won't be nearly as big as Nucks fans want but that's because the only reason he'd be getting traded is because he is forcing his way out to a winner. That aspect alone will impact his value in a trade considerably.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
man it would be friggin hilarious if EP played hardball to force a trade specifically to Carolina. Tell Vancouver "I'm not re-signing, trade me to the Canes or I'll sign QO and wait and just sign with them as a UFA." Then we swoop in and nab him with Pesce, Drury, 1st

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I guess I don't see why many fans are including Pesce/Skjei in proposals for Pettersson. I feel Vancouver is going to do everything they can to be competitive this year and re-sign Pettersson, so if they trade him, I don't see them trading him before next off-season, at a point where Pesce/Skjei won't have much value as it would only be their rights (provided it's before UFA starts.

Secondly, I would be very surprised if Vancouver isn't on their NTC lists and I'd be even more surprised if they'd waive to go from a cup contending team to a team that will struggle to make the playoffs (without EP). I guess there's always a chance as I don't know which teams are on Pesce/Skjei's list, but still, I don't see Van making a move until after this season.

Making a move now means less suitors as many teams either have their rosters or have no space. Waiting til the off-season brings a lot more potential teams that will be in the bidding.

If he is traded, my money is on him going to Detroit.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I guess I don't see why many fans are including Pesce/Skjei in proposals for Pettersson. I feel Vancouver is going to do everything they can to be competitive this year and re-sign Pettersson, so if they trade him, I don't see them trading him before next off-season, at a point where Pesce/Skjei won't have much value as it would only be their rights (provided it's before UFA starts.

Secondly, I would be very surprised if Vancouver isn't on their NTC lists and I'd be even more surprised if they'd waive to go from a cup contending team to a team that will struggle to make the playoffs (without EP). I guess there's always a chance as I don't know which teams are on Pesce/Skjei's list, but still, I don't see Van making a move until after this season.

Making a move now means less suitors as many teams either have their rosters or have no space. Waiting til the off-season brings a lot more potential teams that will be in the bidding.

If the only reason that he'd be getting moved from Vancouver is because he doesn't want to be there because they're not competitive, why would he be ok with being traded to a team that was worse than them this past season?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

can't see it. Not saying that Detroit isn't on their way to being competitive, but EP has to be absolutely exhausted when it comes for waiting for his team to turn the corner. I can't see Detroit as the green light location.

If he wants a contender that has their cap situation figured out to the point that they can bring him in, that's basically just us right now, though I can see Florida and Boston trying to get in the mix.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
can't see it. Not saying that Detroit isn't on their way to being competitive, but EP has to be absolutely exhausted when it comes for waiting for his team to turn the corner. I can't see Detroit as the green light location.

If he wants a contender that has their cap situation figured out to the point that they can bring him in, that's basically just us right now, though I can see Florida and Boston trying to get in the mix.
I don't know if Florida is set up to make that trade after basically doing the same for Tkachuk, but Boston is certainly a competitor. They're at the stage where they'd do absolutely anything for a legit 1C after Bergeron retired, and with that hole filled they'd quite certainly remain as part of the league's elite even with whatever holes the trade leaves.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

Yeah, after last season's trade deadline with teams going all in with giving up so many assets, Carolina is in a really good position next deadline and next summer for a blockbuster trade like Pettersson.

There's so few teams (especially in the east) that not only are legit cup contenders, but also have the assets AND cap space to get a Pettersson tier player like we do.

The fact that Pettersson has stated he wants his team to have a successful season means he does NOT want to go for a team that isn't a playoff team at the very least; his preferences meaning something of course since he'll be a RFA next summer. After the shit show in Vancouver, maybe a team being a playoff team isn't enough for him, and he wants to play for one of the widely considered cup contenders like Carolina.

how about this guys, 2 birds 1 stone:

Slavin, Svech, Jarvis, Nikishin, Pesce, 1st round pick for Pettersson and Miller
That's a little steep, but fair. Fax it in.

:sarcasm:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't know if Florida is set up to make that trade after basically doing the same for Tkachuk, but Boston is certainly a competitor. They're at the stage where they'd do absolutely anything for a legit 1C after Bergeron retired, and with that hole filled they'd quite certainly remain as part of the league's elite even with whatever holes the trade leaves.
I get that, but in the same breath I can't see Boston offering a competitive trade package. They have no prospects and not many young pieces to part with other than DeBrusk. I'd rate Necas as a decently higher value as Necas is 2 years younger and has hit 70 points where DeBrusks's career high is 50 points at age 26.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Personally I see it as a possible deadline deal if Vancouver is struggling come trade deadline (which I think they will be barring them selling a ton of futures for current upgrades and it actually working out). Valid point on the NTC but we really have no idea which teams they may have on their lists. Many assume with Americans it's all the Canadian teams but I think that's a false assumption generally. Pesce would be the bonafide 1RD in Vancouver with a great partner and fit with Hughes, he could easily value that playing time over a winning organization where he'd be on the 2nd pair.

I get that, but in the same breath I can't see Boston offering a competitive trade package. They have no prospects and not many young pieces to part with other than DeBrusk. I'd rate Necas as a decently higher value as Necas is 2 years younger and has hit 70 points where DeBrusks's career high is 50 points at age 26.
yeah they don't have any shot at putting together a legit package unless McAvoy or Pastrnak were on the table and there's really no point in that

Reactions: Discipline Daddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad