GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm going to make a wild prediction: if Pesce is traded, one of JJ Peterka or Lafreniere (l'offre hostile) is going to become a Cane. Jack Quinn is my personal preference but also an ultra-long shot. I wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with the other two, though, and they would be impact players for the Canes, as well.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Which is another way of saying he once had a really bad injury that he's now fully recovered from.
Actually, no, that's not at all a way of saying that. He had a really bad injury in 2013 that caused him to miss 65 games. That was a decade ago, and he did in fact fully recover from that; he went on to play 82 games in each of the next 3 seasons. The trouble was after that. He had a whole series of injuries over those years: wrist, groin, "lower body", etc., all of which kept him out for 30 games or so in 4 of the last 5 years. It can absolutely be argued that last year was the anomaly; it was the first time he played 82 games since the 2015-2016 season.

Is he fully healed? Maybe. Does his style of play make him less likely to be injured? Demonstrably not over the past 8 seasons.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I’m not sure what you are getting at.

But I am more uncertain about what you are getting at.
Let me be perfectly clear: it is perhaps not likely, though not entirely unlikely, that EK will play 82 games, but not so sufficiently likely, or in fact so unlikely, that EK will be sufficiently productive in the games that he does play, or even in the games he does not play, to justify the not insubstantial risk of trading for him, or in fact not trading for him.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Let me be perfectly clear: it is perhaps not likely, though not entirely unlikely, that EK will play 82 games, but not so sufficiently likely, or in fact so unlikely, that EK will be sufficiently productive in the games that he does play, or even in the games he does not play, to justify the not insubstantial risk of trading for him, or in fact not trading for him.

Yeah that was perfectly clear good job

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I'm going to make a wild prediction: if Pesce is traded, one of JJ Peterka or Lafreniere (l'offre hostile) is going to become a Cane. Jack Quinn is my personal preference but also an ultra-long shot. I wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with the other two, though, and they would be impact players for the Canes, as well.
39004D11-1A99-4373-95F4-D21D10EAAD4A.gif

Reactions: WreckingCrew

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
7690C11C-104E-4D41-AAB3-CAFF82BF34AA.gif

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Okay in other non karlsson news, does anyone think Skjei repeats 15+ goals again next year?
I think it's very possible. he's always been a goal scorer and as his career has progressed and the system he's in, it's a good situation. he's sat at 8 or 9 goals for 4 or 5 seasons even missing 20 or so games in some of those years. he had 411 shot attempts last season which was a big time bump from the 311 he shot the year prior which represented a career high. that stat is largely a mindset stat about attacking with your shot. it's replicable, but never a good bet to put on any defenseman to score 15 or more goals. I will say that I think what we've gotten from Brady Skjei has been first pairing play the last 2 years and not enough is said about it. it's a little weird but one of Skjei's best comps in my opinion is Justin Faulk as far as his offense and how it comes. not a lot of passing creativity or playmaking instincts but just gets stuff on the net in traffic. if he can get 400 shot attempts again next season, anything is possible.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think it's very possible. he's always been a goal scorer and as his career has progressed and the system he's in, it's a good situation. he's sat at 8 or 9 goals for 4 or 5 seasons even missing 20 or so games in some of those years. he had 411 shot attempts last season which was a big time bump from the 311 he shot the year prior which represented a career high. that stat is largely a mindset stat about attacking with your shot. it's replicable, but never a good bet to put on any defenseman to score 15 or more goals. I will say that I think what we've gotten from Brady Skjei has been first pairing play the last 2 years and not enough is said about it. it's a little weird but one of Skjei's best comps in my opinion is Justin Faulk as far as his offense and how it comes. not a lot of passing creativity or playmaking instincts but just gets stuff on the net in traffic. if he can get 400 shot attempts again next season, anything is possible.
See, I don’t think he has any chance of repeating that feat given he is now the third best LHD on the team, now. His minutes are going down, so to just equal his previous total, he will have to elevate his effectiveness per minute; maybe with a new partner.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
See, I don’t think he has any chance of repeating that feat given he is now the third best LHD on the team, now. His minutes are going down, so to just equal his previous total, he will have to elevate his effectiveness per minute; maybe with a new partner.
Otoh, there’s a non-zero chance that new partner’s specialty is passing to an open shooter, which could open Skjei up for better scoring chances from closer and not on a primary rush down the wing.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Otoh, there’s a non-zero chance that new partner’s specialty is passing to an open shooter, which could open Skjei up for better scoring chances from closer and not on a primary rush down the wing.
If his new partner, assuming TDA here, is feeding him great passes to be the shooter, I shudder to think of their effectiveness as defenders.

Should be….fun?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
But its 8/6
I was working the math to somehow fit the 35% and was already complaining to Señor Paster about division by zero. Then I realized you Muricans put month before day in that expression, unlike us sophisticated Old Continentals who invented logic (day/month/year, going from small to big, see?)

Looks awfully like they'll mercilessly be cutting the cherubs in half on the trading block. Let's hope it's just Tom Dundon so cheap he'll discount anything for a quick sales boost.

Such a sell low situation doesn't make much sense anyway.

(I still didn't get the 2/0 but that's non-native silly foreigners for you. And I lied a bit. We do say both umpteenth of month and month's umpteenth in everyday parlance.)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I was working the math to somehow fit the 35% and was already complaining to Señor Paster about division by zero. Then I realized you Muricans put month before day in that expression, unlike us sophisticated Old Continentals who invented logic (day/month/year, going from small to big, see?)

Looks awfully like they'll mercilessly be cutting the cherubs in half on the trading block. Let's hope it's just Tom Dundon so cheap he'll discount anything for a quick sales boost.

Such a sell low situation doesn't make much sense anyway.

(I still didn't get the 2/0 but that's non-native silly foreigners for you. And I lied a bit. We do say both umpteenth of month and month's umpteenth in everyday parlance.)
I think we have a bunch of turbo stuff left over after a rough last season. So we are looking to move it and used a relatable event to do it. Add in I doubt we re-sign him so, try to move as much as you can now in case he has another poor season.

The 2/0 thing was a poor attempt at a joke because there isn’t a 0 month or day. So no matter how you write your dates, we don’t need to put Aho stuff on sale.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Then I realized you Muricans put month before day in that expression, unlike us sophisticated Old Continentals who invented logic (day/month/year, going from small to big, see?)

Going from small to big is dumb.

The only true time/date format is ISO 8601, which goes from big to small: YYYY-MM-DD--HH-MM-SS. Self evident and alphabetically sortable.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
dupe

I think we have a bunch of turbo stuff left over after a rough last season. So we are looking to move it and used a relatable event to do it. Add in I doubt we re-sign him so, try to move as much as you can now in case he has another poor season.

The 2/0 thing was a poor attempt at a joke because there isn’t a 0 month or day. So no matter how you write your dates, we don’t need to put Aho stuff on sale.
Ahhh now I get it...

Aho can't be sold! Genius brilliance by the Borg, really

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Going from small to big is dumb.

The only true time/date format is ISO 8601, which goes from big to small: YYYY-MM-DD--HH-MM-SS. Self evident and alphabetically sortable.
I'd agree with that. Especially good for all this new-fangled computerized record keeping. Makes a directory look a lot more sane.

I was mostly objecting to when you mix and match. Go big to small or small to big, but don't do MM-DD-YYYY. Or even worse, MM-DD-YY as if it was still the roaring 20s as far as centuries go.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I love when work makes me do DD-MM-YYYY for filenames, and then I sort my file folder by title and instead of being in chronological order it gives me all the reports I made late in the month first, as if I want the one I did on 31-10-2019 right there at the top for no reason.

Unless explicitly asked I always switch back to MM-DD-YYYY, and even when explicitly asked I usually try to push back at least a little.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

While it's possible, I don't think it's probable for 3 reasons:

1) With Burns and TDA, he's likely not getting much PP time this year, where he got 4 of his 18 goals last year.
2) Brady had a 9.57% shooting %. The previous best in his career was 6.45%
3) Depending on what the Canes do with their blue-line, it could change his role and the dynamics. He's said multiple times that playing with Pesce is great because it allows him more freedom to take chances offensively. If he's still paired with Pesce, then this isn't an issue, but if the Canes trade Pesce, that changes the dynamic. If the Canes don't trade any defenseman, then his role may be different.

A lot of things can happen so it's still possible, because he has good instincts of when to jump into the play, he has a good, accurate shot, and he knows how to get his shot off.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
It would be very surprising if EK plays 82 games.

But it would be more surprising to me to see EK play 82 games.

what-is-crappening-joe-dirt.gif

oh-yeah-clear-as-a-bell.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad