Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not going to get into it anymore after this. Please tell me the reasoning when people say Drai is taking a discount while now being the highest paid player in the league. Logic says this is not a discount, it's the going rate at 15% of the cap.

Highest paid player, yep he's taking a discount, lol. All good. Still hope it's 12.5 or less.
I know it's probably been beaten to death, but you can be the highest paid and still be paid less than your value relative to others you're paid more than.

If you're 20% better thank your next best comparable and paid 5% more, than you've technically left money on the table.

That's obviously an extremely simplified example and having not followed the conversation, I can't speak to whether others are using "discount" correctly. It's not as simple as just taking 13m*8 and comparing it to 15*7, because that doesn't take into consideration time value of money or the extra money you make resigning on the 8th year when the cap is probably 110M. An argument can probably be made that 14*7 is a better contract than 13*8 at a rate of return of 6%, as resigning for even 6m in year 8 would be the least impactful comparative income to 13m due to inflation and TVM. Almost always better to maximize income in the first 4 years than the last 4 years. That's why those Leaf guys signed psychotic high aav 5 year contracts.

I find most of the time the discussions of fair value or underpaid are generally useless, just on the basis of how many factors go into such distinctions. I would argue that on principal, it's possible to be highest paid and also underpaid within the constraints of a hard cap.

Last edited:

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
If Draisaitl gets traded, you package him with Nurse to give yourself a chance at winning the trade

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If Draisaitl gets traded, you package him with Nurse to give yourself a chance at winning the trade
What is this shyte? Leon is not getting traded

With the cap speculated to skyrocket, I imagine Draisaitl is asking for just below league max with the anticipation of it being a 95+ mil cap in a couple years.

He's probably asking 16+ otherwise he heads to L.A.
Go back to your board. Holy crap is there a way to make this private?

Reactions: oilers'72

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Isn't Leon back in Edmonton today?

Give him the 8 years 13.8 mill so these so called troll Oiler fans and Canuck fans can STFU
Even 13.8 is to much. I see us being the Penguins in a few years. 24/25 we have a good shot at the cup. After that, struggles to get out of the first round

Reactions: Duke74

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
This is the beginning of the time frame where Leon has any real leverage too.
Hell
He can push this right out to July 1 of next year in order to get his best deal
He’d be silly to sign too early without exercising at least a bit of that leverage

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Give him whatever he wants. No negotiation. McDavid and Draisaitl are the Oilers. Losing them is not an option.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody runs a business like that

This is the beginning of the time frame where Leon has any real leverage too.
Hell
He can push this right out to July 1 of next year in order to get his best deal
He’d be silly to sign too early without exercising at least a bit of that leverage
Not signed by Dec 1, time to look at other options

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Even 13.8 is to much. I see us being the Penguins in a few years. 24/25 we have a good shot at the cup. After that, struggles to get out of the first round
Who gives a f***? This is Leon Draisaitl! Not Darnell Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad