Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Toronto’s fabulous Four are contracted at 40 mil in aggregate. Leon, Connor and Darnell easily will be 40 mil at the end of next season. Hmmm. I realize the cap is increasing at greater rate than when TML made their deals but still something to think about.
The Toronto four are at $46.15M right now. I'd be very surprise if three Oilers hit $40M when McDavid's deal starts in 2026-27 when the cap could be $10M more than it is right now. I suspect it will be under $38M and possibly under $37M.

Reactions: oilers'72

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It's a bit of a strange situation because when he's healthy in the playoffs, he's an absolute beast. However, he's been injured at some point in each of the last three playoff years, which has diminished his effectiveness. Is injury a concern going forward? As he ages, the injuries will only increase in frequency. It's definitely something to take into account when negotiating his contract.

The quality of linemates definitely explains his relatively weak 5v5 numbers away from McDavid. However, if he's asking for $14 million, he should be able to make superstars out of the McLeods and Fogeles of the world. That's more than Matthews and MacKinnon, who, IMO, are better players and signed their contracts at younger ages. Add in the injury concern mentioned above and I think $12-12.5 is more reasonable.

So he's great, but when the whistles go away and players can take a pound of flesh with each slash and cross check, he is a less effective. Who knew?

Yeah, Draisaitl getting injured every playoff is a concern. It's a concern about the league, is officiating, players safety and the ability to protect players.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The Toronto four are at $46.15M right now. I'd be very surprise if three Oilers hit $40M when McDavid's deal starts in 2026-27 when the cap could be $10M more than it is right now. I suspect it will be under $38M and possibly under $37M.
I hope you’re right because we have seen how debilitating this situation has made roster build out in TO. With Bouchard needing to be signed it makes the situation potentially similar with the Oilers. Every dollar is important.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I hope you’re right because we have seen how debilitating this situation has made roster build out in TO. With Bouchard needing to be signed it makes the situation potentially similar with the Oilers. Every dollar is important.
Tend to agree.

For the cap to rise $10M per team then league revenues would have to jump between 650M and 750M. Last year they were around 6.3B so it would be a substantial rise of around 12%. Not impossible but somewhere there has to be a limit.

Reactions: brentashton

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Just saw the escott tweet via Apple News.

My take, The f***ing agent is playing games with the Oilers. Draisaitl may intend to take a tad lower AAV amount, but sure the hell the agent doesn’t want that it means less money for the asshole.

Agent wants him to go to free agency to get a much larger amount and the agent gets a bigger profit.

Goes two ways, Draisaitl signs or he doesn’t and he’s gonzo after the season.

At this point, think he’s gone because of his agent wanting a bigger pie of the money.
Oilers cannot afford to let this go past Dec 1. If Leon is not sign before then he will and should be traded.

Reactions: rec28

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The injuries he had are not repeatable. Broken ribs and a broken finger could literally happen to any player at any time. The high ankle sprain was also something that is not a characteristic of the player.

If you trade him the chances that you loose the trade and are very high. It's just not a great move.
For the record. I’m team give the guy a blank cheque if you have too, if it means signing him long term.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So he's great, but when the whistles go away and players can take a pound of flesh with each slash and cross check, he is a less effective. Who knew?

Yeah, Draisaitl getting injured every playoff is a concern. It's a concern about the league, is officiating, players safety and the ability to protect players.
The NHL does nothing to protect it's players. The last 3 playoffs players have purposely targeted and injured Draisaitl with the only repercussion being a 1 game suspension to Pietrangelo. The Vegas series and Florida series might have had different outcomes if Draisaitl was healthy.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Toronto’s fabulous Four are contracted at 40 mil in aggregate. Leon, Connor and Darnell easily will be 40 mil at the end of next season. Hmmm. I realize the cap is increasing at greater rate than when TML made their deals but still something to think about.
But our 3 have shown way more than their 4, has won more, gone further and proved their worth.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The NHL does nothing to protect it's players. The last 3 playoffs players have purposely targeted and injured Draisaitl with the only repercussion being a 1 game suspension to Pietrangelo. The Vegas series and Florida series might have had different outcomes if Draisaitl was healthy.
100%

In the SCF Bennett was allowed to run around and hit do dirty shit with impunity.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
But our 3 have shown way more than their 4, has won more, gone further and proved their worth.
Although I agree, at this point it’s about more than individual accolades.

On that level, they are tied for 0 cups a piece.

I'm more concerned that the Oilers have the dough to fill in the critical spots around them for the next 5 years.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

LA write the book on how to deal with playoff Draisaitl. Pietrangelo has a signed copy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The injuries he had are not repeatable. Broken ribs and a broken finger could literally happen to any player at any time. The high ankle sprain was also something that is not a characteristic of the player.

If you trade him the chances that you loose the trade and are very high. It's just not a great move.
The injuries happen because of the nature of the hold puck style Drai plays on halfboards and draws double coverage, and often has to, to create pass openings.

Simply put Drai is a figurative QB in Ozone taking hits to make plays. Thats his bread and butter, and he eats tons of punishment every year.

The specific injuries may not recur as exactly the same but the dynamic of what produces the injuries stays the same and gets worse with age as Drai loses first steps and separation ability.

We know the NHL won't change either. The league will continue to allow the abuse Drai receives.

In playoffs every post season now and leading into it divisional foes will just have as intent "lets injure Drai" They do that anyway they can. As if its one of the objectives on the chalk board.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
No problem. It's just that the he's injured when we need him has come up fairly often. Draisaitl is actually extremely durable and he can play through pain at a very high level. .
It’s just honest to mention his injury history when discussing him. I have no doubt if he and McDavid were healthy we’d have beaten Florida last season. No doubt. None at all.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Although I agree, at this point it’s about more than individual accolades.

On that level, they are tied for 0 cups a piece.

I'm more concerned that the Oilers have the dough to fill in the critical spots around them for the next 5 years.
Yah. I’m not overly concerned about the cups as some here. It takes a lot to win and in a 32 team league I don’t think you can hold it against a player for having zero. The oilers are knocking on the door and the maple leafs aren’t. That’s what I focus on more. Cheap depth is always available. Role players can always be found and someone is always to step up when put in the right position. Look at Janmark these last two playoffs. You can’t always find a superstar and when you do they eventually get paid.

Cup winners always have holes because you can’t have the perfect roster. As long as we have McDavid and drai we can live with our holes. I’m sure many hate nurses contract but let’s not act like he’s overpaid by 9 million dollars. I like our guys and think we have a better chance than most. As long as the guys perform I’m happy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yeesh
Now Seravalli is saying Draisaitl won't be taking a discount and that $14 million is "the starting point" and "will be an AAV record setter"
I guess its my bad but who is Servalli and how would he know this insider information? His name sounds like he would a partner in some show with Harry Houdini.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I guess its my bad but who is Servalli and how would he know this insider information? His name sounds like he would a partner in some show with Harry Houdini.
Frank Seravalli "President of Hockey Content @dailyfaceoff"
Honestly I dont put a whole lot of stock in what he has to say on this topic, for months now hes been saying that we would be impressed at how cheap the AAV would be and its a "done deal"
then
yesterday he started changing his tune

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trade him. And yes the return will be good

The only way McDavid doesn't leave a year later is if the return is Matthews or Bedard or MacKinnon. A bunch of lesser pieces with no other superstar to play with is not going to entice him into staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad