Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
cap was different when he signed for 12.6
Take MacK's percentage of cap when signed then apply it to Draisaitl then. Or whatever calculation needs to be done to make them equal after cap inflation.

Won't change that MacK will still be paid less while arguably being the more impactful player, but I'd be fine with that.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Cap problems and overpaid players are an emerging issue all over the league. If someone out there is having fun at the Oiler's expense (Canucks as one example) then my best advice is stay tuned because your turn is coming.

Look at all the gigantic contracts that were handed out in the last year. I promise that it’s all coming around.
The Canucks just left an era where they both sucked and had a plethora of awful contracts.

Of course Petterson could be a total bust for 11.6. Wouldn’t be shocked at this point.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Seems a little dramatic

Basic math, no drama at all.

Drai at $14, McDavid at $12.5, Bouchard at ~$10 (in 25-26) means we'll have ~$38.5M tied in 3 players, or roughly 41.6% of an assumed cap of $92.5 M. You ain't winning with that percentage based on historical precedent. Is it possible? Sure, I guess anything is possible, but it is HIGLY unlikely, and setting us up for failure.

Honestly, if Drai is looking for $14+, we need to at least be exploring the trade market for him. Yes, I am aware that trading Drai means McDavid likely leaves, but the haul from trading Drai might mean 2 really good chances at winning the cup, rather than only 1.

Tough spot for the team either way if Drai is trying to squeeze the team.

Reactions: Duke74

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Canucks just left an era where they both sucked and had a plethora of awful contracts.

Of course Petterson could be a total bust for 11.6. Wouldn’t be shocked at this point.
Very true. Like I say, its all over the league.

Keeping up with the Joneses is the fad in the NHL but it hits hard when you realize that the Jones are spendthrifts who haven't thought it out too clearly.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Basic math, no drama at all.

Drai at $14, McDavid at $12.5, Bouchard at ~$10 (in 25-26) means we'll have ~$38.5M tied in 3 players, or roughly 41.6% of an assumed cap of $92.5 M. You ain't winning with that percentage based on historical precedent. Is it possible? Sure, I guess anything is possible, but it is HIGLY unlikely, and setting us up for failure.

Honestly, if Drai is looking for $14+, we need to at least be exploring the trade market for him. Yes, I am aware that trading Drai means McDavid likely leaves, but the haul from trading Drai might mean 2 really good chances at winning the cup, rather than only 1.

Tough spot for the team either way if Drai is trying to squeeze the team.

It seems hard to find historical team cap data so I’m curious what the historical precedent is. How many teams have even operated with their top three players taking up such a large percentage of the cap?

Also the report higher up on the page says Drai’s starting point is 14. I see multiple people saying “14+” now but players usually work down from their starting point. The team works up from their starting point. He’ll probably end up in the 13s which is what I thought we were already expecting.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It seems hard to find historical team cap data so I’m curious what the historical precedent is. How many teams have even operated with their top three players taking up such a large percentage of the cap?

Also the report higher up on the page says Drai’s starting point is 14. I see multiple people saying “14+” now but players usually work down from their starting point. The team works up from their starting point. He’ll probably end up in the 13s which is what I thought we were already expecting.

Here is a pretty in depth look at this: Memo to Edmonton Oilers: No team has won Stanley Cup with a player earning more than $10 million

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yea , don't think so.
Time to see what a GM will pay for Drai and if that helps us short term.
Top pairing RD + 2C being the starting point.

If you could get a very good 2C and a good 2nd pairing RHS D, and the cap hit is lower than $14, I think its something you have to strongly consider. No idea if that is possible or not, but its something Bowman should be looking into, at the very least.

If Ottawa was willing to give us Norris and Zub, would you do it? Would be $12.6 cap hit, and solve our 2nd pairing problems, and give a good, still youngish, #2 C.

Last edited:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Players making $10 million is a relatively new thing though.

Up until 2019 the best teams had their star players on cap circumventing contracts with artificially low cap hits. You can basically throw the data from pre-2019 in the garbage. It’s not relevant to today’s league. Those contracts have finally been eliminated and teams having a larger percentage of their cap tied up in fewer players is going to become more normalized.

Reactions: brentashton

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If you could get a very good 2C and a good 2nd pairing RHS D, and the cap hit is lower than $14, I think its something you have to strongly consider. No idea if that is possible or not, but its something Bowman should be looking into, at the very least.

If Ottawa was willing to give us Norris and Zub, would you do it? Would be $12.6 cap hit, and solve our 2nd pairing problems, and give a good, still youngish, #2 C.
Ridley, Pinto and Zub

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I’m assuming this season is going to be another “cup or bust season”

They aren’t going to trade Draisaitl imo. Even if he flat out said he won’t re-sign. They’d treat him as having the best “rental” in the league and look to replace him next off season.

Reactions: Mr Positive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad