Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Players making $10 million is a relatively new thing though.

Up until 2019 the best teams had their star players on cap circumventing contracts with artificially low cap hits. You can basically throw the data from pre-2019 in the garbage. It’s not relevant to today’s league. Those contracts have finally been eliminated and teams having a larger percentage of their cap tied up in fewer players is going to become more normalized.

Its the % of cap part of the article that is interesting, not the $10 M number. I agree, the $10 M thing doesn't matter at all for the exact reason you mention.

I’m assuming this season is going to be another “cup or bust season”

They aren’t going to trade Draisaitl imo. Even if he flat out said he won’t re-sign. They’d treat him as having the best “rental” in the league and look to replace him next off season.

You are likely very right. It might even be the best path. I'm just saying that as the Oilers GM, if Drai is looking for that kind of money, you have to at least explore trade options.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If you could get a very good 2C and a good 2nd pairing RHS D, and the cap hit is lower than $14, I think its something you have to strongly consider. No idea if that is possible or not, but its something Bowman should be looking into, at the very least.

If Ottawa was willing to give us Norris and Zub, would you do it? Would be $12.6 cap hit, and solve our 2nd pairing problems, and give a good, still youngish, #2 C.
Draisaitl is not going to Ottawa as a rental and is almost surely not signing there. Any trade you make is complicated by the fact that this year you only have about $9.5M you can take back and almost surely must be to a contender.

In the unlikely chance he does not sign, the best option is to treat him like a rental, try to win this year and then use the space next year to fill in as best you can. But in the end, if you trade him or he leaves chances are your odds to win drop significantly.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
If you could get a very good 2C and a good 2nd pairing RHS D, and the cap hit is lower than $14, I think its something you have to strongly consider. No idea if that is possible or not, but its something Bowman should be looking into, at the very least.

If Ottawa was willing to give us Norris and Zub, would you do it? Would be $12.6 cap hit, and solve our 2nd pairing problems, and give a good, still youngish, #2 C.
That would be one of the worst trades oilers history. Imagine trading leon for always injured Norris who has a big caphit and overrated zubs ass. That would be worse than the pronger debacle.

Reactions: Deplorable Lenny

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Really should not be that difficult of a negotiation. At what point do people become concerned.

Offer him something like 13.75, making him the highest paid NHL player. If they come back at something like 15 just settle in the middle. Maybe a slight overpay but it’s worth it.

If there is some uncertainty on his side I would think that would set off red flags and next best course of action is exploring a trade

Reactions: Mr Positive

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A winning team will keep CM here. Trade wisely

Any team, unless it's run by a moron like Chiarelli, is a winning team with the current version of McDavid, that's not an appeal in and of itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if this goes into late September.

MacKinnon signed on Sept. 20th of his extension year, after training camp had already opened.

The thing is there's no real incentive for the Oilers to rush into a deal now if he wants to play hardball, you can offer him the same amount in late September. His camp might blink when faced with a situation of potentially going into the season with no extension, there's always a risk you can get hurt and then lose a lot of your leverage if you're a player.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's ridiculous. We're paying Nurse 3.25M too much as of today and for far too long. We are paying James Neal 1.9M this year. We are paying Jack Campbell between 1.5-2.6M for 6 more years. And some of you are shitting your pants, about to let go of an elite NHL superstar because of your grandiose intellect, in view of the speculation he wants 500K more than you expect he should get. Even playoff Kulak is making 1M more than he should be receiving for two more seasons.

hf gang gang

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
You trade drai, unless a pretty much equal center is coming back, it would be stupid to do it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
With a total cap hit of $8.5M? Or are they planning to shed Nuge to fit these two in.
Yup, less than 8.5M (not 14)

Eg. Jiricek+Jenner+Mateychuk from CBJ..
None of these have Fantili flair but cost a combined 5M the next couple yrs while filling holes. Allows us to comfortably extend Bouchard and throw max at McDavid.

You trade drai, unless a pretty much equal center is coming back, it would be stupid to do it.
We just need a 2C back.. even that could be filled by Nuge as long as guys like Skinner and Arvidsson are 2nd line wingers

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
He was on the radio this morning in Calgary

So he goes on Edmonton radio and tells us all that Leon is taking a discount……..now he is on Calgary radio telling their listeners that Drai wants record money.

Yeah he has this media thing figured out…...

Drai will be signed and it will be at a good price.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
So he goes on Edmonton radio and tells us all that Leon is taking a discount……..now he is on Calgary radio telling their listeners that Drai wants record money.

Yeah
Like I said earlier
Frank has been all over the place on this topic, so, take it with a grain of salt

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

What's funny is that both can be true. Draisaitl is the top free agent at a time when the cap is on the cusp of leaping a ton, and maybe rising for many years. He could be the highest paid player in the league AND left money on the table.

Matthews signed for 13.25 x 4 years. If Drai signs at 13.75x8 then that is leaving a lot on the table by comparison

Reactions: onetweasy

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
That’s BS, as the cap goes up it’s going to be common to have multiple 10+ mil contracts on the books. Before this year it was “ no team has won with a 10 mil cap hit” now its “no team has won with a cap hit more than 10 mil” next year it will be “ no team has won with 2 cap hits of more than 10 mil”

It doesn’t happen until it does. I put no stock into historical trivialities like this.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Lose Draisaitl and you lose McDavid... then the Oilers will be below the Flames for a decade.
There is zero proof of that. If LD is asking to much MDavid isn't stupid. He knows their winning time has gone, maybe that sends him away

Last edited:
Reactions: Canovin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Drai takes anything over $14 million and we don't win the cup I don't want to hear the BS of "I just want to win".

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Drai takes anything over $14 million and we don't win the cup I don't want to hear the BS of "I just want to win".
Maybe the Oilers will win with Norris and Zub... no, they'll suck.
There is zero proof of that. If LD is asking to much MDavid isn't stupid. He knows their winning time has gone, maybe that sends him away
If you're going to stay up late to play games at least learn how to spell their names.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England

Anything 12.5x8 or above is record money based on the current CBA, if he takes 12.5x8 he gets record money (tied with Connor) and it's a discount.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yup, less than 8.5M (not 14)

Eg. Jiricek+Jenner+Mateychuk from CBJ..
None of these have Fantili flair but cost a combined 5M the next couple yrs while filling holes. Allows us to comfortably extend Bouchard and throw max at McDavid.

We just need a 2C back.. even that could be filled by Nuge as long as guys like Skinner and Arvidsson are 2nd line wingers
And why does Draisaitl sign in CBJ or even agree to a trade? CBJ may be one of the least desirable locations for a UFA in the league. CBJ is not giving that up for a one year rental.

This is part of the problem with the trade scenario. There are probably only 2-3 teams in the whole league that you might be able to trade him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad